Berkeley protest of Milo Yiannopoulos turns violent, event cancelled - live video

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my humble perspective, the man can choose to speak and the students can choose to protest. I think it is disingenuous for ANY politician or community leader who has spouted hate and intolerance, while refusing (1.)to sit at a table to listen, (2.)to work toward resolution through discourse and (3.) to compromise, to make any comment on the refusal of students to engage in same. The model for our children has become (1.)refuse to listen, (2.) compromise is not necessary, (3.) power is right so grab it and (4.) if you don't like it be quiet or leave. Now it is the standard on the right and left. Adults bullying each other. One group feeling like they are more American than another. With these values that permeate much of the political realm, it is no wonder that we have students and an electorate that is saying to hell with it all. Our children, the next generation, have few leadership role models that promote problem solving. Extremes are not great motivators for change---- it just creates a yo-yo effect that harms all in its wake.

I don't support violence. I support dialogue. I support leadership that reaches across the aisle and provides a tent big enough for all to weather a storm.

Of course they do. That's a principle the United States was founded on. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? Freedom is generally considered a bit more important, than the destruction of a little bit of property.

So 'FREEDOM' involves setting fire to the plaza of the student union? I disagree. Throwing bricks at the officers is considered 'freedom?' Again, I disagree. Nor is Freedom breaking into the ATMS and stealing the cash. That is burglary. Not freedom.

He is a talker. People talk, it doesn't hurt anyone. Throwing bricks, fireworks, burning cars and buildings, hurts people.

And just saying, with that name, is he really white? ( I just googled him, I had never seen or heard of him before this. He is white-skinned, Greek born British. If not for this event, I for one would have never heard of him. He'll be more famous that ever now.)

Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but words can break my heart.

Words do matter. Words incite behaviors, and make others afraid to try to be included.

Just for the record, I am 100% for free speech, including his, including the protestor's rights to free speech and assembly. I don't agree with violence, but do think massive public reaction to offensive and harmful ideas is the only way to keep a society functional. So I actually think he should be allowed to speak, and I think the crowd should be allowed to show up with air horns and trumpets and whatever else they want to "talk" with.

I get that some of you have never heard of Milo, but he has a huge following. He's very famous. I have no reason to be aware of him but I have been for quite awhile and witnessed him and his followers mercilessly bully and spout racial hate to Leslie Jones, who I follow on Twitter. Not much shocks me, but I was quite shocked at the visceral, disgusting, hateful messages she was bombarded with 24/7 for weeks, all upon his command. It was the final straw that finally got his Twitter account closed.

My point that I want to make is yes, he has free speech, but he can't use his platform to incite his followers to do harm to people and expect those people not to eventually fight back.

<modsnip>

Blocking roads prevents people from getting to their jobs, getting home, picking up their children from school, going to an athletic event, police/ fire from getting to emergencies. etc. These people just want to live their lives. They don't want to be involved in protests. So take the protests to places where they don't have a negative impact on innocent people. And for the violent protesters? Throw bricks and break the windows of your own business. Start your own cars on fire. You're not going to get away with destroying other people's property---not anymore.
Whose life has been saved by blocking roads? Just curious.

I believe it is already illegal to block roadways and vandalize things.

The good news is, there are places that are trying to have a return to common sense.

The are 2 bills in our state legislature now that basically state:

1.) You have the right to protest but you do not have the right to block roads, highways, interstates, etc. Therefore, if you get hit by a vehicle when blocking a road ---too bad, the driver will not be held responsible.

Why is this common sense? Roads are for vehicles to get from point A to point B. They are not for people to stand or lie down on.

2.) Individuals attending protests cannot use anything to cover their face to hide their identity or to keep warm or for any other reason.

Why is this commons sense? Bad apples who commit crimes should not be able to remain anonymous. If you want to do the crime, we want to know who you are so you can do the time/ foot the bill for damages.

My guess is neither one will pass because common sense isn't all that common now days.

I believe it is already illegal to block roadways and vandalize things.

It is illegal but that hasn't stopped 'peaceful protesters' from doing it all year. They might change their ways though if they can't cover their face to hide who they are and if they know drivers aren't going to be held responsible if they get hit.

idk why ppl like to say all that safe space stuff. im pretty liberal and I am not sensitive or in need of such. im angry at what this country is becoming. and MY is an odious pile of crap, most right wing respectable ppl wouldn't care for his speech either.

" <modsnip>

Mr. Yiannopoulos is not the first of his ilk to speak at Berkeley and he will not be the last. In our view, Mr. Yiannopoulos is a troll and provocateur who uses odious behavior in part to &#8220;entertain,&#8221; but also to deflect any serious engagement with ideas.

Mr. Yiannopoulos&#8217;s opinions and behavior can elicit strong reactions and his attacks can be extremely hurtful and disturbing. <modsnip>

First, from a legal perspective, the U.S. Constitution prohibits UC Berkeley, as a public institution, from banning expression based on its content or viewpoints, even when those viewpoints are hateful or discriminatory. "

<modsnip>

bbm This is what the chancellor sent out ahead of milo being there. I can see where his words were taken by students as a negative.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/chancellor-statement-on-yiannopoulos/

I wonder if they had coloring rooms and puppy petting set up for the protesters after. jmo idk

IMO, this kind of rhetoric is not constructive. When engaging in online discussion, I make sure not to use broad stroke stereotyping of Conservatives ("they're all nazis! they hate minorities!"). As a Liberal, seeing someone say "tolerance is a one way street for them" will immediately turn me off the discussion.

I do like petting puppies and coloring though.

I love petting puppies - coloring however takes to much focus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he would have been "touring" 9 months ago - different thing - this is almost a metaphor of how freaked out people are as to what is going on. IMO.

He is an extension of all the hate that is going on- I am not OK with the smashing sh#t last night nope.

I think the police dept should be questioned as to why they were nowhere - all for protest --that does not include smashing stuff.

It went on for hours I watched it was not Ok but I could not understand where the cops were?

I disagree. as stated above, he can say what he wants but ppl can voice their protest.

Why should he be allowed to speak? FREE Speech requires so, imo.

interesting article that explains it:

Speaking of Fascism, there is also a disturbing trend on the left nowadays that involves rejecting free speech/freedom of expression as a core value, because that speech could possibly be hurtful to someone, somewhere.

This is not only dangerous but it also works against us, because as leftists we are often labelled as threats by the state and at the very least, we are unpopular by society in general. Does this not mean that freedom of thought and expression are crucial to our struggles? That we should always defend our right to question what we’re taught, our right to be different?

As Noam Chomsky put it: “If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” Freedom of expression and the like does not mean we have to agree with what another person says…in fact, it means that when we do not, we certainly have the right to challenge it.

But what myself and many others are seeing is the shutting off of dialogue entirely, for the purpose of “safety”. What could possibly be safe about censorship? What could possibly be safe about a group of people who claim to be freedom fighters dictating who can speak and what can be said, based on whether or not we agree with them? Study any kind of world history and you will find that censorship has never been on the right side of it.

https://medium.com/@UptheCypherPunx...ed-by-leftist-culture-63419aa85a58#.asef0hvmv

If he would have been "touring" 9 months ago - different thing - this is almost a metaphor of how freaked out people are as to what is going on. IMO.

He is an extension of all the hate that is going on- I am not OK with the smashing sh#t last night nope.

I think the police dept should be questioned as to why they were nowhere - all for protest --that does not include smashing stuff.

It went on for hours I watched it was not Ok but I could not understand where the cops were?

Not only were they smashing stuff, they were assaulting PEOPLE. They beat one guy unconscious with a shovel, beat a girl over the head with a pole, pulled someone out of their car to beat them up etc...

You can go to twitter and search the hashtag #Berkley and watch the video

Thread is open again.

This thread is to discuss the protest at Berkley. It is not here to discuss any and all socio-political concerns, the Viet Nam war, the current or former POTUS, race, right vs left, etc. Also, links to political blogs are not allowed.

Approx 50% of the thread has been unapproved. Stick to discussing this case and THIS CASE only.

I think the police didn't show because they would become the target. Police presence has ben criticized before as a cause to fuel the mobs rage. jmo

If wou held have been "touring" 9 months ago - different thing - this is almost a metaphor of how freaked out people are as to what is going on. IMO.

This!

Also, this guy wants violent reactions. He travels with his own agitators and provocateurs to insure it happens. He has an actual slide show instructing students to turn in any other students they believe may be here illegally. He thrives on this attention, he was on TV tonight. I personally wish the many people who are attracted to his idealisms would lost interest and he would just fade away.

Thread is open again.This thread is to discuss the protest at Berkley. It is not here to discuss any and all socio-political concerns, the Viet Nam war, the current or former POTUS, race, right vs left, etc. Also, links to political blogs are not allowed.Approx 50% of the thread has been unapproved. Stick to discussing this case and THIS CASE only.
Reposting for those that missed.

I truly believe in free speech and protest. However, the destruction and injury to others is criminal. I'm sure that if the masked protesters/criminals are arrested, the ACLU & other organizations will be lining up to help them.

Thank you for posting this! It is exactly what I think we are working towards. If people can't protest with out all this criminal activity, protests will be outlawed. Free speech will be silenced. There will be an 'official' viewpoint and no other will be allowed.
If citizens can't act civilized, our society will be shut down.
Many powerful societies of the past no longer exist. The United States can only exist as long as the citizens can live in a civilized manner. We are slowly creeping in the other direction.
It's a sad thing.

If only the vast majority of Americans weren't so propagandized that they lack the ability to put principle over political party... If only....

Regarding safe spaces and puppies and all that -- words can definitely hurt and we are all vulnerable to that. Everyone has their buttons.

I did not realize that the protests were so violent. Terrible. I don't have a TV. I know I could go look them up on Twitter but (despite hanging out here a lot) it's not the kind of thing I like to see. I'm sorry to hear it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!

Also, this guy wants violent reactions. He travels with his own agitators and provocateurs to insure it happens. He has an actual slide show instructing students to turn in any other students they believe may be here illegally. He thrives on this attention, he was on TV tonight. I personally wish the many people who are attracted to his idealisms would lost interest and he would just fade away.

I don't believe one word that comes out of this guy's mouth. IMO, he's nothing more than a "shock jock." Stirring up $hit to get noticed. What a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx