BP Oil Spill Approaching Gulf Coast

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The inside story of how Obama failed to crack down on the corruption of the Bush years – and let the world's most dangerous oil company get away with murder
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/111965?RS_show_page=0
<snipped>
Most troubling of all, the government has allowed BP to continue deep-sea production at its Atlantis rig – one of the world's largest oil platforms. Capable of drawing 200,000 barrels a day from the seafloor, Atlantis is located only 150 miles off the coast of Louisiana, in waters nearly 2,000 feet deeper than BP drilled at Deepwater Horizon. According to congressional documents, the platform lacks required engineering certification for as much as 90 percent of its subsea components – a flaw that internal BP documents reveal could lead to "catastrophic" errors. In a May 19th letter to Salazar, 26 congressmen called for the rig to be shut down immediately. "We are very concerned," they wrote, "that the tragedy at Deepwater Horizon could foreshadow an accident at BP Atlantis."

The inside story of how Obama failed to crack down on the corruption of the Bush years – and let the world's most dangerous oil company get away with murder
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/111965?RS_show_page=0
<snipped>
Most troubling of all, the government has allowed BP to continue deep-sea production at its Atlantis rig – one of the world's largest oil platforms. Capable of drawing 200,000 barrels a day from the seafloor, Atlantis is located only 150 miles off the coast of Louisiana, in waters nearly 2,000 feet deeper than BP drilled at Deepwater Horizon. According to congressional documents, the platform lacks required engineering certification for as much as 90 percent of its subsea components – a flaw that internal BP documents reveal could lead to "catastrophic" errors. In a May 19th letter to Salazar, 26 congressmen called for the rig to be shut down immediately. "We are very concerned," they wrote, "that the tragedy at Deepwater Horizon could foreshadow an accident at BP Atlantis."
So, according to this article that other rig (Atlantis) is still operating? Why?

This, ALL OF THIS, just makes me sick.

So, according to this article that other rig (Atlantis) is still operating? Why?This, ALL OF THIS, just makes me sick.

MILLIONDOLLARGIRL4sho.jpg

Hurricane season is here. I wonder what will result from a hurricane in the Gulf before the spill is cleaned up, or even stopped? I haven't heard a mention of this on the news. Anyone?

There hasn't been much talk about the possibility of an "Oilcane". The Hurricane Center has said that there basically isn't any information or background on something like this so making any kind of prediction is just "guess work". I did hear something about the oil making the water warmer but it never went any further than that. So, this is all uncharted territory.

Hurricane season is here. I wonder what will result from a hurricane in the Gulf before the spill is cleaned up, or even stopped? I haven't heard a mention of this on the news. Anyone?

A hurricane that makes landfall any where on the Gulf Coast would further push the oil inland through waterways. A hurricane right now hitting Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or North Florida would be an even bigger disaster than just your average hurricane. The hurricane center has predicted a very active hurricane season this year, so I'm sure we will get our answer at what the results of this oil will be - sooner than later sadly.

I too have been wondering where PETA, WWF and others like The Fund for Animals are hiding.
Another thing to think about is what happens if a hurricane develops or moves into the Gulf..........it will suck up the oil and then literally rain oil where ever it goes inland!

My husband and I were just saying the same thing! Whether we have a hurricane or not it is GOING TO RAIN OIL on the gulf coast due to all the evaporation and storms we get.

What I wonder about with the hurricanes is that the moisture (water, rain, etc.) is "sucked up" from the surface of the body of water it is forming over - soooooooo if one forms over a slick or a plume - will that oil be "sucked up" into the clouds and then forcefully thrown down on any land it hits? Probably. The storm surge will most definitely push any oil offshore further inland.

My husband and I were just saying the same thing! Whether we have a hurricane or not it is GOING TO RAIN OIL on the gulf coast due to all the evaporation and storms we get.

God Bless everyone on the Gulf Coast. :blowkiss:

There hasn't been much talk about the possibility of an "Oilcane". The Hurricane Center has said that there basically isn't any information or background on something like this so making any kind of prediction is just "guess work". I did hear something about the oil making the water warmer but it never went any further than that. So, this is all uncharted territory.
We've been talking about it quite a bit here in NOLA. There are so many variables to consider which could either aid or worsen the situation. I'm a big fan of Dr. Jeff Masters at the Weather Underground. At the link below, he spells out the possibilities. Quite interesting.

So, the Ixtoc blowout experience shows us that if a sandy beach is already fouled by oil, a hurricane can help clean up the mess. However, the situation is different along shores with marshlands, where the many shoreline plants offer crevices and tangled roots for the oil to accumulate in. A hurricane will help scour some of the oil out of marshlands, but the majority of it will probably remain stuck. This is also true of rocky beaches. Rocky shores fouled by the great Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska in 1989 have been pounded by many hurricane-strength storms over the years, but these storms were not able to clean the beaches of oil like Hurricane Henri did for Texas' beaches in 1979.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1492

Thanks for the info Bessie! I'm a big fan of Jeff Master as well. What he says is interesting.

I don't know what to think - the part about the hurricane scouring out the marshlands. Oil doesn't even wash off well with soap, so it just makes me ponder if a hurricane's force could really help clean out crevices in the marshlands.

I'm getting really scared. This thing hasn't been plugged yet and BP is experiencing failure after failure to get this underwater explosion of oil plugged up. You know BP wants more than anything to plug this thing up, yet they don't even have a clue how to do it! They've been ordered to get more aggressive, but my gosh -what does that mean! Is that really going to help in any way? I mean...they don't have a clue how to stop this!

On April 12, 2010, Halliburton finalized a deal in which they bought Boots & Coots for 240 million. Boots & Coots is a company devoted to cleaning up oil spills. This happened 8 days before the Horizon well explosion. Anyone else's hinky meter going off?

2 links:
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10722752/halliburton-buys-boots-coots.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=10336743

Makes ya wonder. Nothing would surprise me at this point, except of course if they stopped that oil from gushing.
I thought the Coast Guard gave BP until tonight to come up with alternative plans to contain the spill........I've heard nothing from BP as of 10 pm CT.

Cracks have appeared in the ocean floor signifying the unseen destruction going on with the casing on the Horizon well.
"The blow out preventer pipe could be leaning as much as 11%/"

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/20...r-collapse-seabed-leaks-prevent-bp-capping-2/

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2010/06/11/confirmed-gulf-oil-spill-bop-leaning/

Due to the cracking in the sea floor, and the leaning BOP, there is a strong chance what's left of BP's well could collapse completely before the relief wells are finished which would mean BP would have to go back in and drill lower to get below the level of the damaged well. I am just stunned. I can not imagine us losing the Gulf of Mexico, but it is becoming a distinct possibility. That is just more than I care to acknowledge. If this happens, the ramifications will extend far beyond the coastal USA.
I wonder how much oil rain before the breadbasket of the world becomes the empty basket?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Gypsy, ITA. I've spent some time on the Gulf Coast, and I keep wiping tears away. Is it really possible we could lose the Gulf for all time? I can't keep the tears out of my eyes.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back