Brad Cooper April 1st Weekend

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that Nancy vomited during the attack which necessitated the cleanup. I remembered petechiae referenced on the autopsy, and Dr. Butts testified to that fact on the stand about it, although I feel that Cummings lost his opportunity to further question him about that. Or did he and I lost that info in a fit of buffering?

If she had vomited because of drinking and eating, why would not Brad mention that to the detectives? But he never said anything. "She came home and was so drunk she threw up all over. I had to clean it up. It was so disgusting." It would have explained a lot. But he said nothing about vomiting. Ever.

From the autopsy report:
There is darkening of the laryngeal and
sublaryngeal epithelium with the suggestion of some fine petechial hemorrhages.

For reference from one of many websites:
Other causes for red pinpoint dots on skin petechiae symptoms include:

aging skin
alcoholism
local injury, trauma
violent vomiting, coughing
newborns ~ right after birth
pregnancy ~ close to delivery
penis pump side effect ~ erectile dysfunction
toxic chemical exposure ~ pesticides, arsenic, benzene
http://www.healthblurbs.com/petechi...le-red-skin-spots-pinpoint-red-rash-symptoms/

I'm tossing around a theory in my mind that has to do with spilled milk and the reason for the call to the realtor about getting out as soon as possible.

I do think that Nancy vomited during the attack which necessitated the cleanup. I remembered petechiae referenced on the autopsy, and Dr. Butts testified to that fact on the stand about it, although I feel that Cummings lost his opportunity to further question him about that. Or did he and I lost that info in a fit of buffering?

If she had vomited because of drinking and eating, why would not Brad mention that to the detectives? But he never said anything. "She came home and was so drunk she threw up all over. I had to clean it up. It was so disgusting." It would have explained a lot. But he said nothing about vomiting. Ever.

From the autopsy report:
There is darkening of the laryngeal and
sublaryngeal epithelium with the suggestion of some fine petechial hemorrhages.

For reference from one of many websites:
Other causes for red pinpoint dots on skin petechiae symptoms include:

aging skin
alcoholism
local injury, trauma
violent vomiting, coughing
newborns ~ right after birth
pregnancy ~ close to delivery
penis pump side effect ~ erectile dysfunction
toxic chemical exposure ~ pesticides, arsenic, benzene
http://www.healthblurbs.com/petechi...le-red-skin-spots-pinpoint-red-rash-symptoms/

Keep in mind that upon death, your bladder and bowels immediately release.
That would cause quite a mess to clean up too.

One thing that has been on my mind is the absence of bruising on NC's neck consistent with being strangled by someone's hands. The ME mentioned a very faint line on her neck, but said it was not consistent with a ligature. So, how was she strangled then? Thoughts?
Well, that's part of a set of things that seem interesting about this case to me. The ME said that his opinion was that the cause of death was most likely asphyxia by strangulation. The wording there seems to say that they are not certain of the cause of death.

Then because of decomposition, they were not able to narrow down a time of death other than saying "on or about the 12th" and that it could be within 12 hours in either direction (so a 24 hour window).

The detective said that he believed that she was killed in the house, but then said that he didn't know which room. If he doesn't know which room, he really doesn't know that she was killed in the house.

So, they don't know for sure how she died, or when she died, or where she died. But, they are sure who killed her.

SS, I got no impression from the ME, state or Kurtz the cause of death was in question.
The manner of death was not very firm, however. His opinion was no rope or ligature, since no obvious ligature marks were found on her neck. No stab wounds, gunshot wounds, no blunt for trauma to the skull and no toxicology issues. The fracture of the hyoid bone in her neck pretty much says it all.

"Based on the history and autopsy findings it is in
my opinion that she died as a result of external causes, homicidal violence, most likely asphyxia by strangulation"

Keep in mind that upon death, your bladder and bowels immediately release.
That would cause quite a mess to clean up too.

Yes Justy, I posted about that early on, but I wanted to address the vomiting issue and that there actually is physical evidence thereof. So BC would have a huge mess to clean up

But I do wonder about any paper towels he might have used, and just where all the other stuff went that he disposed of or threw away, such as ducks and sticks. And that hair on the bannister. Oh, so many questions...

Yes Justy, I posted about that early on, but I wanted to address the vomiting issue and that there actually is physical evidence thereof. So BC would have a huge mess to clean up

But I do wonder about any paper towels he might have used, and just where all the other stuff went that he disposed of or threw away, such as ducks and sticks. And that hair on the bannister. Oh, so many questions...

He did specifically mention loads of towels. I believe he said there were four loads of towels laundered on that Saturday.

If the state is hanging their hat on a 12:30 AM TOD and the vomit theory to make it work, they are in trouble.
Not saying it didn't happen, but too much for the jury to believe.

SS, I got no impression from the ME, state or Kurtz the cause of death was in question.
The manner of death was not very firm, however. His opinion was no rope or ligature, since no obvious ligature marks were found on her neck. No stab wounds, gunshot wounds, no blunt for trauma to the skull and no toxicology issues. The fracture of the hyoid bone in her neck pretty much says it all.

"Based on the history and autopsy findings it is in
my opinion that she died as a result of external causes, homicidal violence, most likely asphyxia by strangulation"
Yeah, I can't say that I've read many autopsies, but was just struck by the kind of waffling language there. I'm not sure why he inserted the "most likely" part in there. If his opinion is that she was strangled, then it seems the "most likely" is unneeded. Technically "most likely" could mean that there's only a 10% chance, if each of the other possibilities had no more than 9% chance.

Sorry, I like precise language when it comes to murder. :-)

Well, that's part of a set of things that seem interesting about this case to me. The ME said that his opinion was that the cause of death was most likely asphyxia by strangulation. The wording there seems to say that they are not certain of the cause of death.

Then because of decomposition, they were not able to narrow down a time of death other than saying "on or about the 12th" and that it could be within 12 hours in either direction (so a 24 hour window).

The detective said that he believed that she was killed in the house, but then said that he didn't know which room. If he doesn't know which room, he really doesn't know that she was killed in the house.

So, they don't know for sure how she died, or when she died, or where she died. But, they are sure who killed her.

It is mere speculation on the detective's part that she was killed in the house based on the assumption that BC was the killer. It is also mere speculation that she vomited and the only way that the prosecution's theory fits. Otherwise, it would be a later time that she died which would eliminate BC. The caffeine in her body can be explained by diet coke when she got home or by coffee before her run, depending on your belief of whether BC killed her or not. The prosecution definitely needs some more concrete evidence to support its case, in my opinion.

Remember Michelle Young was beaten on the head > 25 times, fracturing her skull in 2 places. Obvious, right?

The NCME office said "Death is most likely due to blunt force trauma to the head"

This is standard language, at least in NC.

If the state is hanging their hat on a 12:30 AM TOD and the vomit theory to make it work, they are in trouble.
Not saying it didn't happen, but too much for the jury to believe.

Well, I agree with you on that point. It has bothered me consistently and one of the strong pieces of evidence to question the prosecution's theory. It is why I also hold the prosecution team to a higher degree of accountability in the other pieces of evidence. Again, if I were on the jury, I would definitely want some more pieces of evidence to point to BC. If he did it, hopefully the computer evidence will be helpful to the jury and to those of us who still aren't sure of who did this.

It is mere speculation on the detective's part that she was killed in the house based on the assumption that BC was the killer. It is also mere speculation that she vomited and the only way that the prosecution's theory fits. Otherwise, it would be a later time that she died which would eliminate BC. The caffeine in her body can be explained by diet coke when she got home or by coffee before her run, depending on your belief of whether BC killed her or not. The prosecution definitely needs some more concrete evidence to support its case, in my opinion.

The caffeine could have been in her system from the previous day....ME said that was very possible.

How bout the onion and the red liquid?
An onion takes 4-5 hours to digest, so why was it in her stomach 8 hours later?

I generally wash my hardwoods on hands and knees with vinegar and water. That is the way I was taught and have just always done it that way. The reason I was given is that with hardwoods, you want the minimum of liquid and it is hard to do that with a mop esp if there is a spot that need work or at the baseboards. I also dry them at the same time with a towel. I do use a mop on tile.

Me too, as much as I hate it. It's the only way to get them clean and streak-free. We have cherry floors and every water mark shows if I mop.

Me too, as much as I hate it. It's the only way to get them clean and streak-free. We have cherry floors and every water mark shows if I mop.
With some level of embarrassment, I will admit that I have absolutely no idea what my cleaning lady cleans my hardwoods with or how she does it. All I know is that you want to take extreme care when walking around in socks for a few days after she's done it. :-)

I don't have the exact wording but I got the impression from Mr. Kurtz's opening statements that Brad had no idea that there would possibly be any question as to paternity and only found out during the private eye investigation.

Good point. I had forgotten about the timing, so I don't think that is what set him off (assuming there is something).

The caffeine could have been in her system from the previous day....ME said that was very possible.

How bout the onion and the red liquid?
An onion takes 4-5 hours to digest, so why was it in her stomach 8 hours later?

It was possible the caffeine was from the previous day, but it could be from that morning coffee. I need to relisten to that portion of his testimony, but I don't think it was for sure an onion, and the red liquid was questioned for its sources. I do remember that for the prosecution theory to work, she needed to have vomited at the time of strangulation. And, that may have indeed been the case. Unless a ME knows for sure what killed somebody, they do what is known as the disclaimer clause and say In my opinon or it may have happened. In either case, what he is saying is this is what I think could have caused her death and I see no other possibility popping out at me.

With some level of embarrassment, I will admit that I have absolutely no idea what my cleaning lady cleans my hardwoods with or how she does it. All I know is that you want to take extreme care when walking around in socks for a few days after she's done it. :-)

Find out and let me know. I'm always looking for a new method/type of cleaner that works:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926