MT MT - Brandon Fitch, 20, Stillwater County, 16 June 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow I just read the interview with Brandon's parents. This is a very suspicious disappearance and I see why his family and friends hope they will get answers when he is found. It sounds like the many conflicting stories from people who were with Brandon that night he went into the Yellowstone River are impossible to sort out without more information. Did he jump, fall, or even possibly was he murdered? The search dogs have definitely hit on something in the river that searchers believe is a body, but this may not even be Brandon.

The Stillwater Search and Rescue Facebook page recently discussed the difficulty divers are having getting into the water. Essentially no visibility, rapidly moving currents, and lots of debris have created dangerous diving conditions.

Prayers for Brandon and his family.

Search for man who fell into Yellowstone River near Reed Point 'scaled back'

An update on the search for Brandon. A 'specialized search' on the river this past Sunday did not find anything of interest and the search is being 'scaled back.' Interestingly, the Sheriff is calling for sighting reports (I don't remember reading that language before) and LE is considering Brandon 'missing.'

This is mysterious. I really had thought Brandon would have been found by now with the intensive search effort. Many of our Montana rivers -- including the Yellowstone --are still surprisingly high right now. I am thinking searchers may not be looking far enough downstream.

Sunday search for missing man on the Yellowstone unsuccessful

Another article, a little more detailed information on the 'specialized search' (divers were used) and the Sheriff was quoted more extensively. He is calling for rafters/floaters/recreationists to be on the lookout for Brandon:

“Because the Yellowstone River does not have dams, the search area covers many miles,” said Brophy. “If you locate something out of the ordinary, please mark the location and notify authorities in that jurisdiction. Do not disturb the scene.”

I am not surprised that LE jurisdictional boundaries are constraining the search for Brandon but this is problematic. Early on, Stillwater Search and Rescue had asked untrained volunteers to stay away from the river as it was high and dangerous.

Last edited:
It has been a dangerous and deadly year on the Yellowstone River.
Sheriff's captain's son presumed to be 2nd death in Yellowstone River boating crash

A stretch of the river including the Reed Point area was closed until last night (Sunday) while searchers looked for 15 year-old James Anderson, who is missing and presumed drowned. Searchers are out on the river again in what is now considered a recovery effort for his body.

Prayers for the families of all missing on the Yellowstone. Hopefully this search will be successful.

This update mentions the search for Brandon as well as the recovery effort for James Anderson:

River search for 20-year-old man continues

Of note apparently 7 different K9 search dogs hit on a specific spot in the river on 3 separate occasions. Searchers were not yet able to recover Brandon, but divers found significant debris at that location underwater. They plan to return and continue to search that location more thoroughly. Search locations are being kept confidential.

This must be torture for Brandon’s family, to know their loved one is likely so close and still they are unable to bring him home. They really need answers and resolution. Prayers for all the families of those missing along this stretch of the Yellowstone River.

Still Searching
An update as of September 20th. Sorry I didn’t see this sooner. This article covers the search effort and specifically Brandon’s mother’s efforts to find him. His body has not been recovered as of today, October 8, though divers have been down twice to the area the cadaver dogs hit on the surface.

Prayers for Brandon’s parents; that he may be found before winter and they can lay him to rest.

Interesting.... if this is a grave...

A possible grave, made of rocks and a makeshift cross was found by the Fitch's and a search party. This newly found potential clue has Brandon's mother Sarah wondering if it is him in this location.

Missing Stillwater County Man Update

17842232_G.png

If he had a genuine accident he would not have been buried on site. If foul play was an issue the perps would NOT bury the body in an open area with a cross and rocks.
In her defense, it wasn't an open area. It was on the side of a mountain. An unmarked human sized grave not documented tucked put of sight
There are alot it strange things happening that lead her to believe it may have been him. A family came there to bury their dog because they thought nobody would walk that far...

But...

There is something wrong in Reed Point. Something did happen to Brandon. His friends stories change. His gf who was cheating on him with the main suspect is related to the sheriff... so much more I can't release yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a msm article that describes the discovery and investigation of the makeshift grave and also updates the most recent search efforts to find Brandon. It sounds as if much of the searching is now being conducted by the Fitch family or by specialized teams they are bringing in:
Gravesite confirmed to be a pet, not missing man

Brandon is still considered 'missing' and this case is clearly more complicated than initial reports and articles tried to spin.

This post is all IMHO, based on nothing more than my years of watching all manner of criminal and non-criminal cases; in the news, on these boards, and sadly from within my own family.

I do not personally believe Brandon’s disappearance is related to the disappearance of Paul Batson, who apparently went missing in late April from the same bridge over the Yellowstone River in Reed Point. Unless someone got the idea from Paul’s story — either of that bridge as an unlikely place to commit suicide, or a convenient place to use in a story about someone committing suicide.

The inconsistent stories that have been told to LE and BF’s family are huge red flags to me. Inconsistent stories are almost ALWAYS red flags. IMHO

Brandon’s parents, family, friends, and community deserve answers and Brandon himself needs to be returned to his family. If local LE doesn’t have adequate resources, then another agency or group or department should be called in to help, with the permission and blessing of local LE.

Brandon’s disappearance and the lack of answers is not the norm. It really will start to feel hinky if answers aren’t forthcoming.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nycissa
Back