Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
This disappearance and death stands out for me because I recall (will post when I find details) that there was another student or young person who was hiking in the same area a couple of years ago, who was also missing and then found deceased. I'm curious about locals who might be targeting young solo tourists in the area.

"An American woman who went missing while on a hike on Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa has died and her body has been recovered, authorities said on Monday. The woman has been identified as a 20-year-old student from North Carolina named Brook Cheuvront.

The management of SANParks, which manages Table Mountain and other national parks, said the cause of death was still unclear and an inquest into her death has been opened.

South African authorities have urged people to avoid hiking on their own, suggesting it be done in groups of at least four people."

It might have been an accident ...

"In a Facebook post, SANParks advised that visitors only do activities “in groups.. four or more,” inform others when heading off, and save the emergency numbers for Table Mountain National Park.

Authorities insisted in another post that comments about growing concerns over crime were “speculative and may cause unnecessary alarm” which can undermine their search efforts.

They added that since 2023, crime statistics “have drastically decreased from 16 (October 2023) and 32 (November 2023), to 6 (July 2024) and 3 (August 2024).”

This disappearance and death stands out for me because I recall (will post when I find details) that there was another student or young person who was hiking in the same area a couple of years ago, who was also missing and then found deceased. I'm curious about locals who might be targeting young solo tourists in the area.

"An American woman who went missing while on a hike on Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa has died and her body has been recovered, authorities said on Monday. The woman has been identified as a 20-year-old student from North Carolina named Brook Cheuvront.

The management of SANParks, which manages Table Mountain and other national parks, said the cause of death was still unclear and an inquest into her death has been opened.

South African authorities have urged people to avoid hiking on their own, suggesting it be done in groups of at least four people."

I’ve been to Cape Town on several occasions and whilst it’s a beautiful place it’s one in which I’d never travel anywhere alone.

Whilst this could be a tragic accident I lean more towards foul play - many parts of Cape Town are extremely poor, a lone female is an easy target to rob/assault.

I’ve been to Cape Town on several occasions and whilst it’s a beautiful place it’s one in which I’d never travel anywhere alone.

Whilst this could be a tragic accident I lean more towards foul play - many parts of Cape Town are extremely poor, a lone female is an easy target to rob/assault.
Her death is reported around the world, so I suspect more people are questioning whether this was another murder like with Nick Frischke.

It's also possible that the wind came up and she was suddenly blown off the trail.

"According to our newsgathering partners at the News & Observer, that area can become treacherous during windy or rainy conditions. Saturday's weather indicates potentially windy conditions during Cheuvront's hike.

Her unpaid job during the internship was to work with Justice Desk Africa in the Ntsika ye Themba program. She said that program "aims to educate young boys on gender based violence and toxic masculinity with the goal of empowering them to be activists and role models in their communities."

She started the hike around noon. The wind increased to 39 km/h (24 mph) between 3 and 6 PM. I read somewhere ... need to verify ... that the hike was roughly 3 hours. I'm skeptical that she was blown off the trail - but anything is possible.

"The UNC Morehead-Cain scholar’s friends also did not hear from her since she set out on the trek at midday that day."

1727132374250.png

All we know at this time is that her tracking app stopped updating, and she was unreachable by phone/text. I'm curious whether she had a device that tracked steps, heart rate, location.

"She was first reported missing Saturday after the tracking app she was using stopped updating and her friends could not reach her."

There are no updates regarding cause of death or autopsy results - still waiting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka
Back