Bulgaria - James Robinson, from UK (Wigan), missing in Vratsa, 11 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Frivolous

Reaction score
James Robinson 35, has been missing for three months since suffering a head injury in a fall.

The dad-of-two from Wigan, was admitted to hospital overseas after falling from the house he was renovating in Vratsa, West Bulgaria.

He had moved overseas to start a new life in January after buying his dream house.

Police are appealing for help to track him down and his family said they are desperate for news.

His sister Danielle Glass, 33, from Billinge, said they believe he lost balance and fell on May 10th.

He was taken by ambulance to hospital where a CT scan revealed bruising to his brain.

Medics wanted him to remain in hospital for observation but he checked himself out the following day on May 11th and left by taxi.
Brit dad-of-two goes missing in Bulgaria for three months after head injury

“His passport, laptop and driving licence were all found in the caravan he had been staying in while he renovated his house.

“We found his mobile phone on the ground outside the property.”
The family were told a bit of blood may have been found next to the phone, suggesting he'd had a fall.

“After piecing everything together, it seems he may have fallen off the house and was taken to hospital by ambulance,” Danielle said.

“We think a woman went with him and we are trying to find her.

“He was given a CT scan where there was bruising on the brain but he woke up and discharged himself. That is the last that is known of him.

“We have tried to think positively but it just doesn't make sense. It's all very strange.

Danielle said her brother, a self employed handyman, moved to Bulgaria in January after buying a house and a plot of land for just £4,000.

But she said just days after arriving the house caught fire after sparks ignited an old bird's nest.

He then bought a caravan to live in while he rebuilt the house.

The dad, who has a nine year old and ten year old child from his previous relationship, had plans to grow his own crops and had bought seeds and a rotavator, she said.

“James, 35, who is currently living in the Vratsa area of Bulgaria was last seen on 11th May leaving a nearby hospital after he was believed to have been treated for a head injury after falling.

“He is described as white, of slim, 5ft 11 with dark blonde hair, a beard and fair complexion. Unfortunately we do not know what he was last seen wearing.

Not sure what to make of this.
James goes to Bulgaria to buy his dream house. Seems like he fell of the house and the ambulance was called for him, presumbably by the woman who went with him. Yet we do not know who the woman is, and she is being seeked. He was given a CT scan where it was revealed he had bruising on the brain, yet he discharges himself against doctors recommendations. He left in a taxi and hasn't been since. Last known location is the hospital.
Wigan dad with head injury has been missing in Bulgaria for three months

“His passport, laptop and driving licence were all found in the caravan he had been staying in while he renovated his house.
Doesn't necessarily seem weird - an injured man would not immediately go and collect his devices inside the house, so nothing weird about this. We can assume he had the phone with him hence why it was found on the ground outside the property.

Missing People website states him as 36 at the age of disappearance, yet all articles I've come across say 35. Perhaps an error by the former or the latter?

James - Missing People
Dad vanishes after leaving hospital - he has not been seen for months
Merseyside man missing after suffering head injury in Bulgaria
James Robinson is missing from Bulgaria / Merseyside / UK

Also important to note, that it is unsure as to where he is now due to how long he's been missing. He could be in Bulgaria or even in the UK.

Strange story. It seems he is been missing now for approx. 8 months. What is going on in the investigation? Is the woman who was supposedly with him yet identified, if not why didn't she come forward...aren't there recordings from the 911 call? Some recollection from the hospital staff? Did he touch his bank account, is all the building stuff still at the property? Who is to gain if he is dead? Did they do a search? If yes, where? Etc.

Not sure what to make of this.
James goes to Bulgaria to buy his dream house. Seems like he fell of the house and the ambulance was called for him, presumbably by the woman who went with him. Yet we do not know who the woman is, and she is being seeked. He was given a CT scan where it was revealed he had bruising on the brain, yet he discharges himself against doctors recommendations. He left in a taxi and hasn't been since. Last known location is the hospital.
Wigan dad with head injury has been missing in Bulgaria for three months

Doesn't necessarily seem weird - an injured man would not immediately go and collect his devices inside the house, so nothing weird about this. We can assume he had the phone with him hence why it was found on the ground outside the property.

So 8 months later and the woman has still not been identified? No one has come forward? And she just left his phone outside on the ground? That's a little bit weird.

I wonder if the hospital can say if he had open wounds on his head, enough to leave blood by the house. Sounds like a major fall to have a brain bruising, but I can't picture how one would fall from their house. (Maybe the translation is a little off, making it sound a little funny.)

Who called the taxi for him? Was there an appeal in Bulgarian media for the taxi driver to come forward? Was there much local publicity at all? I think the phone might have been left behind after the accident. His passport and driver's license were found in his caravan. Did he take any id to the hospital? Since his laptop and phone were also found where he lived, it's not likely that he was robbed after returning home. The question is, where was he taken from the hospital and by who?

ETA: When was he reported missing in Bulgaria? Media articles start about a month after his disappearance.

Last edited:
Also interesting is this
Dad vanishes after leaving hospital - he has not been seen for months, also from September 2020.

“We feel totally helpless, we reported him missing weeks ago and the police in Bulgaria are looking for him,” Danielle <Glass, sister> said.

A statement from the force said: “We are appealing for the public's help to find missing man James Robinson.

And until now....nothing....
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/gogglebox-star-izzi-warner-shares-19768367
Danielle said her brother, a self-employed handyman, moved to Bulgaria in January <2020> after buying a house and a plot of land for just £4,000.

But she said just days after arriving the house caught fire after sparks ignited an old bird's nest.

I guess he was working on repairs (roof?) and fell. I can't help wondering how high it was. Maybe he was able to use his phone himself and called the medics himself?

Also interesting is this
Dad vanishes after leaving hospital - he has not been seen for months, also from September 2020.

“We feel totally helpless, we reported him missing weeks ago and the police in Bulgaria are looking for him,” Danielle <Glass, sister> said.

A statement from the force said: “We are appealing for the public's help to find missing man James Robinson.

And until now....nothing....
Danielle said her brother, a self-employed handyman, moved to Bulgaria in January <2020> after buying a house and a plot of land for just £4,000.

I guess he was working on repairs (roof?) and fell. I can't help wondering how high it was. Maybe he was able to use his phone himself and called the medics himself?
I read that he doesn't speak Bulgarian, so I'm not sure if it was him who called the ambulance. It was also reported that a woman was with him in the hospital, possibly a translator? How close are his neighbors? Was he able to call for help after the fall or someone found him?

What hospital he was admitted to? Where was his house/property and what is the nearest hospital, from there? Was it in Vratsa City or Vratsa Province. No CC-tv footage him getting in a taxi?, name of Taxi company....

Who called the taxi for him? Was there an appeal in Bulgarian media for the taxi driver to come forward? Was there much local publicity at all? I think the phone might have been left behind after the accident. His passport and driver's license were found in his caravan. Did he take any id to the hospital? Since his laptop and phone were also found where he lived, it's not likely that he was robbed after returning home. The question is, where was he taken from the hospital and by who?

ETA: When was he reported missing in Bulgaria? Media articles start about a month after his disappearance.

This is a good point. I didn't think of how or who called the taxi for him. I would assume there are taxi's around the hospitals anyway so perhaps he flagged one down.
We know he didn't have a phone with him, so unless he had another on him then it would be unlikely he called for one himself.
I can't help but think the woman plays a part here. We still don't know who she is - the authorities don't know who she is (unless this information has already been found out and is not being released).

What we do know/speculations we can make from a few articles:

We know for sure he was taken by ambulance to hospital. Which then brings the possibility of:

- James calls the ambulance himself. This could be either when he fell on the ground, (calls for help from his phone, perhaps phone was in his pocket, what we do know is that the possibility he had his phone on him is very high). Blood was found near the phone.

- The woman who went with him. It could have been her who called for help. Were they neighbours? Did she happen to walk past and see him there and then call for help? Did they actually know each other, was she around/staying the/at house?

- “After piecing everything together, it seems he may have fallen off the house and was taken to hospital by ambulance,” Danielle said.
“We think a woman went with him and we are trying to find her.

Think.
What evidence do they have that leads them to the conclusion that a woman went with him? Did the ambulance people speak on it? If so, why haven't they spoken out on other pieces of information that they may have? Was she seen with him at the hospital? Did staff at the hospital speak to the police and say? If so, again, why is there no other information given?

But James was staying in a caravan whilst he was renovating the house. So I don't think it's strange at all that his passport, laptop and driving licence were all found in the caravan. How far was the caravan from the house? Of course he wouldn't have time to go to his caravan and take those items with him. I'm starting to feel more confident that the phone was found on the ground because either he had it in his hand when he fell (fall may of been because he was distracted by the phone itself), or it fell out from his pocket when he fell due to the impact of the fall. Or it could be because he, like mentioned above, got it out from his pocket and called for the ambulance himself.

We know that the passport, laptop and driving licence were all found in the caravan. So, James didn't go back to collect those items. The probability that he went back to the UK is a little less now. He'd need the passport to travel abroad, regardless if it was the UK or not. But again, it doesn't completely rule it out. Perhaps he had another passport.

"Medics wanted him to remain in hospital for observation but he checked himself out the following day on May 11th and left by taxi.
It was the last time anybody saw him."
Dad vanishes after leaving hospital - he has not been seen for months
Who actually saw him leave by taxi? How credible is this? Did the hospital staff see him leave in a taxi? A passerby?
Suppose he did leave by taxi. Who called the taxi for him? Couldn't be himself if he hadn't had his phone on him. Did he call from the hospital phones just before he was leaving?
I think if he did leave by taxi, he didn't call the taxi himself. Instead the taxi was there around the hospital. Either in the carpark or in the vicinity of the hospital, and like I mentioned above, he flagged one down. So where'd he go from there?

- A few articles just mention he was last seen leaving the hospital, no mention of going into a taxi or any other forms of vehicle. If so, where to from there? Was he trying to go back to the house or caravan by foot and lost his way there? May make sense, he did have bruising to the brain.
Merseyside man missing after suffering head injury in Bulgaria

What hospital he was admitted to? Where was his house/property and what is the nearest hospital, from there? Was it in Vratsa City or Vratsa Province. No CC-tv footage him getting in a taxi?, name of Taxi company....
I think the articles mention Vratsa hospital, which is very likely the city hospital. According to the article below (from June 12) he lived in the village of Lilyashka Mogila (Лиляшка могила), which is (in my estimation) about 15 km north of Vratsa. The photo in the article is from another unrelated incident.

Млад англичанин изчезна мистериозно във Врачанско СНИМКИ

Last edited:
I'm wondering, if he wasn't reported missing to local police until weeks later, how many witnesses were the police able to actually speak with? Did they interview the hospital staff? His neighbors? Anyone else? The ambulance crew would know if anyone accompanied him to the hospital.

Reminded of this missing man..
Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014

https://www.town-hall-online.com/missing/index.php?id=1273646896536567808

''We are appealing for the publics help to find missing man James Robinson.
James, 35, who is currently living in the Vratsa area of Bulgaria was last seen on 11th May leaving a nearby hospital after he was believed to have been treated for a head injury after falling.

He is described as white, of stocky build, 5ft 11 with short ginger hair, a beard and fair complexion. Unfortunately we do not know what he was last seen wearing.

Due to the time James has been missing, we are unsure whether he is currently in the UK or still in Bulgaria.

Anyone that has therefore seen James here in Merseyside or heard from him, should get in touch. Alternatively, if you know someone living in Bulgaria that could share our appeal or has also seen James, please do so. Call us with any information on 01517773600''

Has his sister travelled to Bulgaria to try and figure out what’s going on?

Could he have met the “mystery woman” online before he moved there and gone to Bulgaria to be with her?

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back