CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also did anyone notice that toward the end of the ABC news story they said that the 17 year old had been communicating with someone online before her escape who told her that what was happening in the house was wrong and that she should escape and tell authorities? That is first time I had heard that.

It sounds as if they may have thought what was going on in the house with captivity was 'normal.'

Thanks for the information, first time I have heard that also. And said she had only been on a few weeks and had already been in contact with somebody on the internet who recently began chatting with her as a friend and encouraged her to escape. Oh my gosh!

I think that the attorney for the children has done a good job of keeping them sheltered, but at the same time letting the public know how they are doing. I think he is tiptoeing it very well. He seems very sensitive in his release of information. I thank him for that. I don't think his broadcast and release of information is exploitive.

Ah, thank you. I had not watched the video, just read the accompanying article. For others who prefer reading to watching, the exact quote by the news anchor is

That 17-year-old sibling had only been on social media for a few weeks when she began chatting with a man who told her what's happening in her home was wrong, encouraged her to escape and alert authorities.

I wonder why they left that out of the text version of the article? As new information, it would have been one of the most important parts.

The obvious questions: Who was this man? What was their specific exchange?

And thank goodness he wasn’t a predator. [emoji43]

http://people.com/crime/house-of-ho...gn=people-true-crime&utm_content=2018031916PM

The seven adult children of alleged child abusers David and Louise Turpin have been released from the Corona Regional Medical Center and are now living together in a home in rural California, according to their lawyer.
Lawyer Jack Osborn told ABC News exclusively the seven oldest Turpin siblings were released on Thursday and quietly transported to their new home, where they will be reunited with their family dogs and able to make decisions for themselves. They will each have their own rooms with their own closets.

Much of their first day outside of the Corona Regional Medical Center was spent outdoors, Osborn said. The siblings picked citrus and later, made themselves Mexican food and ice cream sundaes, which the lawyer told ABC News were all firsts for them.
Osborn said that his clients are receiving occupational, physical, and psychological therapy and catching up on all the movies they’ve missed over the years. He said they love the Star Wars films.
Osborn told ABC News none of the adult siblings have ever driven a car, though they’ve all been of legal driving age for some time. He added that the boys are excited at the prospect of operating a car.

I wonder if the man who was communicating with her truly believed that her story was true.

I wonder why he did not contact authorities?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/turpins-child-torture-case/index.html

The minor children of David and Louise Turpin, the California couple accused of holding their 13 children captive and torturing 12 of them, are now in two foster homes, a source close to the investigation said Monday.

The two youngest are now in one foster home in Riverside County, while the other four are at another home in the county. No home was able to accommodate all six children, the source said. The two youngest, in particular, will require a great deal of attention, according to the source.

"Their education was nonexistent," the source said. "The 17-year-old, who escaped, has a first-grade level education."

the source characterized their private Sandcastle Day School as "a sham, a way for them to get money from the county and the state."

Just saw this, please forgive if it's a repeat --

House of Horrors Adult Siblings Released From Hospital, Now Living in Rural California Home

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The seven eldest Turpin siblings were taken to a home in rural California on Thursday
[/FONT]
Chris Harris March 19, 2018 09:48 AM

The seven adult children of alleged child abusers David and Louise Turpin have been released from the Corona Regional Medical Center and are now living together in a home in rural California, according to their lawyer.
Lawyer Jack Osborn told ABC News exclusively the seven oldest Turpin siblings were released on Thursday and quietly transported to their new home, where they will be reunited with their family dogs and able to make decisions for themselves. They will each have their own rooms with their own closets.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

What are the details of DT and LT being allowed to communicate with each other? How do they communicate with each other and how often?

Satch

Who knoze??

I do remember a trial where a male and female were exchanging letters in the same jail (before the trial). He would write a letter addressed to some false person with a deliberate bad address, but use her return address at the upper left-hand corner of the envelope (as is customary). She would do the same using his return address. Of course, it would take a few days to travel from the jail, to the P.O. and back again, but it worked. One of the two testified to it in court during a trial for a third accomplice. Apparently, it's fairly common.

The minor children of David and Louise Turpin, the California couple accused of holding their 13 children captive and torturing 12 of them, are now in two foster homes, a source close to the investigation said Monday.

The two youngest are now in one foster home in Riverside County, while the other four are at another home in the county. No home was able to accommodate all six children, the source said. The two youngest, in particular, will require a great deal of attention, according to the source.

"Their education was nonexistent," the source said. "The 17-year-old, who escaped, has a first-grade level education."

the source characterized their private Sandcastle Day School as "a sham, a way for them to get money from the county and the state."

I wonder if this is actionable - that is, if they can be charged for something. The 17-year-old should be at the stage where she could be looking to graduate high school, so I wonder how they are going to help her get educated sufficiently. The same goes for all the younger kids, to some extent.
I think the older two or three had some high school level education, so it looks like it degraded over time. I wonder also about the younger of the seven adult siblings. I suspect there will be some major education needed to even get them to a level where they could take a GED. On the plus side, they seem to be willing to do what is needed, from all accounts.

That is just so SAD!!!! Think about all they have to catch up with.

I hate David and Louise.

I'm so happy about the latest news on the eldest children!! Thank you all for sharing. :)

Satch, jash posted the information about note-passing in this forum:

He posted this link
https://www.ctv.ca/Dr-Oz/Video/S9E1...ak-Out-From-Jail-Exclusive--Part-1-vid1257357
to the show, but the video is not viewable outside of Canada, so I haven't been able to verify it. Maybe we could track down a transcript?

The Dr. Oz website has clips from last week's show but there are about 10 minutes missing (including the part where LT's sister talks about DT being interested in a 10 year old LT). The passing notes thing starts around 1:45 in the below video.
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/tru...-jail-exclusive-part-1?video_id=5749795052001

Clockwork Secret -- Hello, in the video from the link I posted it is said by the reporter between timestamp 2:50 and 3:00. It isn't in the text just the video.

Thanks for the information, first time I have heard that also. And said she had only been on a few weeks and had already been in contact with somebody on the internet who recently began chatting with her as a friend and encouraged her to escape. Oh my gosh!

I think that the attorney for the children has done a good job of keeping them sheltered, but at the same time letting the public know how they are doing. I think he is tiptoeing it very well. He seems very sensitive in his release of information. I thank him for that. I don't think his broadcast and release of information is exploitive.

I hope the British tabloids don't start trying to find the house and invade their privacy. Hopefully, it is a well kept secret and gated.

I wonder if the man who was communicating with her truly believed that her story was true.

I wonder why he did not contact authorities?

Maybe he did, but maybe he did not know her address. Maybe the 17 year old did not even know her own address. If they had been captive for years, they may have no idea what an address even is or what a street sign means or what a number on a house means.

Also maybe he is the one who told her about how to call 911. It the early days after this happened, the authorities in press conferences said they didn't know who a police officer was. It is all making sense now to me given she was in contact with someone online --- maybe he walked her through how to contact 911 and told her how to contact the police.

I think it's odd (JMHO!) that there were 6 younger children, 1 of whom is about 3 yo, and the other 5 who are 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 (approx.) and they decided to break them up by putting the 3 yo and 12 yo together and the 13, 14, 15, and 17 yo together. The 3 yo is practically a baby and can't communicate as well due to her age, so it's almost like the 12 yo is all alone, with no one to talk to about things. I feel sorry for her. At least all the others are with a sibling (or more) that they can talk to. After spending her whole life with 12 siblings, she's now basically being isolated from all of them. :-(

I wonder what they mean by saying the two youngest, in particular, will require a great deal of attention? Obviously, babies/toddlers need a lot of attention due to their age, but why did they say that about the 12 yo, and not the 13, 14, 15, or 17yo's?

I think it's odd (JMHO!) that there were 6 younger children, 1 of whom is about 3 yo, and the other 5 who are 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 (approx.) and they decided to break them up by putting the 3 yo and 12 yo together and the 13, 14, 15, and 17 yo together. The 3 yo is practically a baby and can't communicate as well due to her age, so it's almost like the 12 yo is all alone, with no one to talk to about things. I feel sorry for her. At least all the others are with a sibling (or more) that they can talk to. After spending her whole life with 12 siblings, she's now basically being isolated from all of them. :-(

I wonder what they mean by saying the two youngest, in particular, will require a great deal of attention? Obviously, babies/toddlers need a lot of attention due to their age, but why did they say that about the 12 yo, and not the 13, 14, 15, or 17yo's?

Yes, that is utterly tragic.
Poor girl.

They said those two in particular would need a lot of attention. I wonder if she has some extra heavy issues.

That struck me as odd as well. I am not a professional, but I would imagine the 12 year old would feel more comfortable with the siblings close in age to her (13, 14, etc), instead of the youngest, who according to some reports wasn’t abused nearly as bad as the rest of the siblings. JMO

The day they were arrested the authorities said that the Turpins unshackled the 11 and 13 year old as the deputies were standing at the door, but didn't have a chance to unshackle the 22 year old who was still chained. Other than the toddler, the youngest was 11 so maybe that means she has a lot of medical issues and emotional issues with being held in chains for all of these years. She might also have extensive needs due to nerve damage. On the other hand, this is an unnamed source so maybe it is not true. The source also referred to the Turpins getting money from the state and county for the Sandcastle private school. I don't know how that is possible if this is a private school (they don't get funding from the state or county) so I'm just not sure if that source they quote is reliable.

The day they were arrested the authorities said that the Turpins unshackled the 11 and 13 year old as the deputies were standing at the door, but didn't have a chance to unshackle the 22 year old who was still chained. Other than the toddler, the youngest was 11 so maybe that means she has a lot of medical issues and emotional issues with being held in chains for all of these years. She might also have extensive needs due to nerve damage. On the other hand, this is an unnamed source so maybe it is not true. The source also referred to the Turpins getting money from the state and county for the Sandcastle private school. I don't know how that is possible if this is a private school (they don't get funding from the state or county) so I'm just not sure if that source they quote is reliable.

I think we established that #12 was 11 years old, #11 was 12 years old, and #10 was 14 years old at the time of rescue, and that it was #12 and #10, the 11 and 14 year-old kids, that were the two that were in chains that were released when the authorities showed up. (MSM reported that it was a 14-year-old and an 11-year-old that were released.)
However, I agree - I thought it was odd that they broke up #11 and #12 because from the pictures and videos I got the feeling that those two were very close. But they said #12 needed extra care and that the other foster location could only take 4, so they split them up 4 and 2. I guess I had always assumed it was 3 and 3.
The good news is that they are still able to stay in contact with each other.

Yes you're right. There are some crazies on the other side though. Like this uncle and the grandparents though. I think the kids should be kept away from all of them. One side has exploiters and the other has deniers or people with intensive religious views that could cause PTSD in the siblings or be used to "excuse" the abuse.

Agree. Absolutely. The thought of any of that scares me greatly for those sweet innocents. The Turpin offspring seem so eager to experience everyday things and their obvious delight is very touching and encouraging. Somehow they have come through the initial big change in their lives without apparent bitterness or fear. They really don't need any negatives that might drive them to fear and distrust the things we consider ordinary. Keep family -- other than their other siblings -- away and let them just breathe and go slowly into their new worlds. Certainly with good, caring people to be available to help when they need it, and to keep an eye on their well-being with no ulterior motives. No family for now or anytime soon. JMO

One of those 2 youngest just turned 3 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova