CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, thank you. I had not watched the video, just read the accompanying article. For others who prefer reading to watching, the exact quote by the news anchor is

That 17-year-old sibling had only been on social media for a few weeks when she began chatting with a man who told her what's happening in her home was wrong, encouraged her to escape and alert authorities.

I wonder why they left that out of the text version of the article? As new information, it would have been one of the most important parts.

The obvious questions: Who was this man? What was their specific exchange?

MATT GUTMAN
Good Morning America March 19, 2018 https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive...e-freedom-090803244--abc-news-topstories.html

That 17-year-old sibling had only been on social media for a few weeks when she began chatting with a man who told her what's happening in her home was wrong, encouraged her to escape and alert authorities.

RBBM Thanks.
Not sure but it doesn't match up with what the DA stated in his press conference on Jan 18, 2018. He said they had been planning the escape for 2 yrs.
The whole being on social media and YouTube didn't match up either but clearly it was the young lady who escaped. And then it was taken down.

Here is an article

POSTED: JAN 18 2018 11:21AM PST
VIDEO POSTED: JAN 19 2018 02:10PM PST
UPDATED: JAN 19 2018 02:17PM PST
RIVERSIDE, CA (FOX 11 / AP)
<snip>
And yet, some of the children of David and Louise Turpin hatched an escape plan. It took two years to carry out but last weekend a 17-year-old girl and her sister climbed out of the window of their Southern California home. The other girl turned back out of fear but the teen persisted and called 911. http://www.ktvu.com/home/parents-of-13-malnourished-children-charged-bail-set-at-13-million

DA press conf 5:30 mark is where DA states that the 17 year old had been working on plan for 2 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZWpX62z5Mg

Yes you're right. There are some crazies on the other side though. Like this uncle and the grandparents though. I think the kids should be kept away from all of them. One side has exploiters and the other has deniers or people with intensive religious views that could cause PTSD in the siblings or be used to "excuse" the abuse.

Yes, I agree. There are crazies on both side. They just seem to be crazies in different ways.

Since the young people seem to be somewhat naive and therefore vulnerable for now, I hope they have some sort of counselor/guardian person for a while to guide them through interpersonal contacts with extended family, “fans,” media, etc. It is tricky because they are adults and deserve to make their own choices (and mistakes). They need time, however.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/turpins-child-torture-case/index.html

The minor children of David and Louise Turpin, the California couple accused of holding their 13 children captive and torturing 12 of them, are now in two foster homes, a source close to the investigation said Monday.

The two youngest are now in one foster home in Riverside County, while the other four are at another home in the county. No home was able to accommodate all six children, the source said. The two youngest, in particular, will require a great deal of attention, according to the source.

"Their education was nonexistent," the source said. "The 17-year-old, who escaped, has a first-grade level education."

the source characterized their private Sandcastle Day School as "a sham, a way for them to get money from the county and the state."

:thinking: Jmho but from all we have seen, read, been told and sleuthed about this family, I do not get the feeling that they home schooled the kids "as a way for them to get money from the county and the state" Curious who the sources for CNN were. I know very little about homeschooling but have friends and extended family who do. They are not in CA though. Does anyone know if they receive $$ for homeschooling as alleged a reason the source stated? Also while looking to see if the private schools do receive $, I found this site that was pretty interesting. I wonder what records they have kept. http://www.hsc.org/legal-faq_1.html

I am not making light of any of the allegations. Stuff just doesn't add up. We know this isn't all they got to do, as the 17 year old was in a bedroom and posted multiple videos on YouTube. Just as we go over this stuff, so will the Defense teams and bring that up. JMHO

CNN 3/19/18
"The only thing the home-schooled children were allowed to do while in their rooms was write in journals, so hundreds of notebooks could make their way into evidence in the case against the parents." https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/turpins-child-torture-case/index.html

CNN 3/19/28
"Their education was nonexistent," the source said. "The 17-year-old, who escaped, has a first-grade level education."

A second source said the seven adult children are in another home.

The Turpins said they home-schooled their children, who ranged in age from 2 to 29 at the time of the parents' arrest, but the source close to the investigation characterized their private Sandcastle Day School as "a sham, a way for them to get money from the county and the state." https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/turpins-child-torture-case/index.html

GMA 3/19/18
The parents were arrested in January after the couple's 17-year-old daughter scrambled out of their home's front window, called 911, and showed police pictures of her siblings in shackles, said the District Attorney Mike Hestrin. That 17-year-old had somehow accessed the internet in the weeks before her harrowing escape. ABC News has discovered that she had accounts on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube -- where she performed what she called original songs with titles like “Where is the Key?” https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive...e-freedom-090803244--abc-news-topstories.html

There was a neighbor who told a reporter that one of the daughters was seen driving. I found the Star Wars comment interesting only because iirc DT had a tshirt in couple of photo ops that iirc referenced Star Wars characters. (worn diff occasion but same shirt) Also I noticed that the lawyer Osborn did not state they had not had access, just that was his belief. While it may be true that the kids didn't go often- we know they did. Also it depends on which individual makes ea comment referenced. We know the oldest son attended community college. The next aged boy would be the one who was chained per DA. He is the one in the Elvis video/photos that appears to have some sort of vision issues. The youngest boy wouldn't be age to drive yet I don't think. Nothing was said about the girls driving (which is what was alleged by a neighbor) JMHO

It was good to see new info. Maybe we will get more at Fridays Hearing. Glad to hear they got at least one of their puppies back, and are doing well.

"Osborn believes they didn&#8217;t have much access to movies despite their parents&#8217; trove of thousands of DVDs. The siblings' favorite movies so far have been anything associated with the "Star Wars" series.

While several of them have been of driving age for about a decade, their lawyer says none has ever driven a car. Trips in a vehicle at all seemed to be a rarity, Osborn said.

The prospect of driving a car one day was, in fact, so novel that the boys joked that they&#8217;d need to wear football helmets for safety."
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive...e-freedom-090803244--abc-news-topstories.html

Thanks for the information, first time I have heard that also. And said she had only been on a few weeks and had already been in contact with somebody on the internet who recently began chatting with her as a friend and encouraged her to escape. Oh my gosh!

I think that the attorney for the children has done a good job of keeping them sheltered, but at the same time letting the public know how they are doing. I think he is tiptoeing it very well. He seems very sensitive in his release of information. I thank him for that. I don't think his broadcast and release of information is exploitive.

Oh yes!

I think a wonderful balance has been established between "The Magnificent Thirteen's" moves toward freedom and independence, with the proper amount of custodial supervision so that they can be both safe, and explore their new found world in small manageable steps. Kudos to the caregivers and the kids!

Remember that when you've lived in pain, filth, and grief, for all of your life, it is only natural to eventually accept that that horror is "normal." I relate the children's horrific abuses by their parents to that of children in third world countries who are beaten, tortured, and starved everyday by terrorist networks and ruling dictators. That's their life everyday and people in these countries can't disperse from that. Due to the fact that they know of no other life, those activities are "normal" to them.

Fortunately, some of the siblings with the limited outside exposure to the world that they did have, and the few who now have show to have Internet experience, were able to learn and sense that something was wrong. The painful lyrics in the 17-year old girls' songs, and the belief that others online encouraged her to escape was a wake up call. A call of courage and dedication to protect herself and save her brothers and sisters from years of suffering and abuse.

You can feel the empathy in the lives of these kids! One of the girls mentioned wanting to be a nurse, but could she do that without having to work with needles and see blood? These kids are very caring and loving to the pains and plights of others. They want the world to know what is going on with them. The kindness and compassion that they show is amazing! I could see many of the "Magnificent Thirteen" going into medical careers and social work areas to help people. These special people are going to make wonderful contributions to society!

Satch

Maybe he did, but maybe he did not know her address. Maybe the 17 year old did not even know her own address. If they had been captive for years, they may have no idea what an address even is or what a street sign means or what a number on a house means.

Also maybe he is the one who told her about how to call 911. It the early days after this happened, the authorities in press conferences said they didn't know who a police officer was. It is all making sense now to me given she was in contact with someone online --- maybe he walked her through how to contact 911 and told her how to contact the police.

It seems like he could have contacted LE and they certainly could have found the computer info.

The day they were arrested the authorities said that the Turpins unshackled the 11 and 13 year old as the deputies were standing at the door, but didn't have a chance to unshackle the 22 year old who was still chained. Other than the toddler, the youngest was 11 so maybe that means she has a lot of medical issues and emotional issues with being held in chains for all of these years. She might also have extensive needs due to nerve damage. On the other hand, this is an unnamed source so maybe it is not true. The source also referred to the Turpins getting money from the state and county for the Sandcastle private school. I don't know how that is possible if this is a private school (they don't get funding from the state or county) so I'm just not sure if that source they quote is reliable.

Private schools get money for books and transportation and probably other things. Supplies?

I think a lot of it, especially the stuff about LT being "the one in control" out of the two, is related to how people see dominant women as a pathology and think an overbearing woman is definitely the ones to blame for unthinkable stuff like this. She's definitely taking a lot more blame in the court of public opinion.

I think any time dominance and overbearing-ness moves into the realm of bullying and abuse that it has become a pathology, and I don't see what difference gender makes in that.

We're not conjecturing a dominant female here, we're talking about severe abuse.

I suppose I do tend to think that the most dominant partner in a relationship/marriage is likely to be the one who is also dominant in abuse where abuse of minors or dependents is present? I suppose that might not always be the case if the subservient partner is the primary carer, but I don't know what the interplay might be in such a scenario. I think we need to learn more to understand what the interplay has been with DT and LT, and we might never get that information.

Why the "British Tabloids"? I hope none, anywhere do.
Because their journalists are still "gum shoe", unlike American journalists that copy and paste stories and go home with a paycheck every month!
I don't think anyone should go after the children.
I am speaking in general terms of news events.
Moo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is actionable - that is, if they can be charged for something. The 17-year-old should be at the stage where she could be looking to graduate high school, so I wonder how they are going to help her get educated sufficiently. The same goes for all the younger kids, to some extent.
I think the older two or three had some high school level education, so it looks like it degraded over time. I wonder also about the younger of the seven adult siblings. I suspect there will be some major education needed to even get them to a level where they could take a GED. On the plus side, they seem to be willing to do what is needed, from all accounts.

Since they're in California, I think the best plan for the ones that should be on a High School level would be to be homeschooled for a little bit and then start attending a Continuation High School, where they can earn their credits in different ways. Also, those schools have great schedules if they want to get a job or practice a sport. But I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Since they're in California, I think the best plan for the ones that should be on a High School level would be to be homeschooled for a little bit and then start attending a Continuation High School, where they can earn their credits in different ways. Also, those schools have great schedules if they want to get a job or practice a sport. But I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

I would think that ALL the siblings need to be put into a structured education setting. The more education they can each be given the more hope for their future and eventual independence. These poor children are close to being
feral as far as what they've been taught. It's going to be a long road to recovery. Bless them.

I would think that ALL the siblings need to be put into a structured education setting. The more education they can each be given the more hope for their future and eventual independence. These poor children are close to being
feral as far as what they've been taught. It's going to be a long road to recovery. Bless them.

Well, yes. I do agree with that. I only mentioned the ones that should be in High School because those are the ones who, supposedly, more far behind as far as education goes.

Private schools get money for books and transportation and probably other things. Supplies?

Do you have a source for private schools getting public funding for their operations? TIA

Do you have a source for private schools getting public funding for their operations? TIA

I recall someone looked into this at the beginning and determined the Turpins were not getting any funds.

There was a neighbor who told a reporter that one of the daughters was seen driving. I found the Star Wars comment interesting only because iirc DT had a tshirt in couple of photo ops that iirc referenced Star Wars characters. (worn diff occasion but same shirt) Also I noticed that the lawyer Osborn did not state they had not had access, just that was his belief. While it may be true that the kids didn't go often- we know they did. Also it depends on which individual makes ea comment referenced. We know the oldest son attended community college. The next aged boy would be the one who was chained per DA. He is the one in the Elvis video/photos that appears to have some sort of vision issues. The youngest boy wouldn't be age to drive yet I don't think. Nothing was said about the girls driving (which is what was alleged by a neighbor) JMHO

It was good to see new info. Maybe we will get more at Fridays Hearing. Glad to hear they got at least one of their puppies back, and are doing well.

"Osborn believes they didn&#8217;t have much access to movies despite their parents&#8217; trove of thousands of DVDs. The siblings' favorite movies so far have been anything associated with the "Star Wars" series.

While several of them have been of driving age for about a decade, their lawyer says none has ever driven a car. Trips in a vehicle at all seemed to be a rarity, Osborn said.

The prospect of driving a car one day was, in fact, so novel that the boys joked that they&#8217;d need to wear football helmets for safety."
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive...e-freedom-090803244--abc-news-topstories.html

Could that neighbour have mistaken Louise for one of the daughters?
L is tiny,

I recall someone looked into this at the beginning and determined the Turpins were not getting any funds.

I agree. I just tried looking again and cannot find anything stating that private schools receive public funding for their operations. that’s why parents pay tuition for private school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova