CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MATT GUTMAN
Good Morning America March 19, 2018 https://www.yahoo.com/gma/exclusive...e-freedom-090803244--abc-news-topstories.html

That 17-year-old sibling had only been on social media for a few weeks when she began chatting with a man who told her what's happening in her home was wrong, encouraged her to escape and alert authorities.

RBBM Thanks.
Not sure but it doesn't match up with what the DA stated in his press conference on Jan 18, 2018. He said they had been planning the escape for 2 yrs.
The whole being on social media and YouTube didn't match up either but clearly it was the young lady who escaped. And then it was taken down.

Here is an article

POSTED: JAN 18 2018 11:21AM PST
VIDEO POSTED: JAN 19 2018 02:10PM PST
UPDATED: JAN 19 2018 02:17PM PST
RIVERSIDE, CA (FOX 11 / AP)
<snip>
And yet, some of the children of David and Louise Turpin hatched an escape plan. It took two years to carry out but last weekend a 17-year-old girl and her sister climbed out of the window of their Southern California home. The other girl turned back out of fear but the teen persisted and called 911. http://www.ktvu.com/home/parents-of-13-malnourished-children-charged-bail-set-at-13-million

DA press conf 5:30 mark is where DA states that the 17 year old had been working on plan for 2 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZWpX62z5Mg

I don't think that the idea that they had been talking and planning an escape for two years and the fact that someone online encouraged her to escape are mutually exclusive. They could well have been fantasizing about it for two years but it took the push of an outsider to actually give her the necessary impetus or fortitude to proceed with it. She was only on SM for about 4 weeks or so, and it would appear that this is when she started taking the pictures on her phone. And she managed to get pictures of the three that were chained up that night.
Her heart must have been pounding - "I'm really going to do this. I'm really going to go through this." - along with some self-doubt - "Is this the right thing to do? That is my family." and of course fear, as has already been stated - "I will be in chains for months if they catch me!" Or worse.

As for only being aloud to write in journals, it has been suggested that she did those songs on the occasions when the parents were out - probably eating out, as they apparently did regularly. I'm sure they knew when it was safe to make noise and when it wasn't.

Not really important since most people understand the meaning, but that paragraph says that it's allowed if less than 5 years older, not not if no less than 5 years older.

That was my point. Otherwise it was allowed with somebody much older but not with someone their own age. That sounds wrong.

I recall someone looked into this at the beginning and determined the Turpins were not getting any funds.

To me the funds aren't the only issue, or the main issues. The whole point of homeschooling is that they were supposed to be properly educating the kids, and they obviously weren't doing that. Was their idea of education more of a military regimen - relegated to writing in journals, memorization of passages, and marching? If that was their mindset, then they are sadly mistaken on what constitutes a good education. I would be curious as to the actual education level of the older kids as well - INCLUDING the one who went to community college. I know we saw pictures of the oldest graduating. But what exactly did she have to do to earn that degree? Does it measure up to educational standards in California? Even if it does, somewhere along the line there was an obvious relaxing of any actual education, despite what is reported in the Sandcastle records.
My opinion, of course, based on the stated education level of the younger ones.

I don't think that the idea that they had been talking and planning an escape for two years and the fact that someone online encouraged her to escape are mutually exclusive. They could well have been fantasizing about it for two years but it took the push of an outsider to actually give her the necessary impetus or fortitude to proceed with it. She was only on SM for about 4 weeks or so, and it would appear that this is when she started taking the pictures on her phone. And she managed to get pictures of the three that were chained up that night.
Her heart must have been pounding - "I'm really going to do this. I'm really going to go through this." - along with some self-doubt - "Is this the right thing to do? That is my family." and of course fear, as has already been stated - "I will be in chains for months if they catch me!" Or worse.

As for only being aloud to write in journals, it has been suggested that she did those songs on the occasions when the parents were out - probably eating out, as they apparently did regularly. I'm sure they knew when it was safe to make noise and when it wasn't.

I agree. The type of escape that she carried out, one didn't need to plan it for two years. What was there that one needed to plan for 2 years? I mean, it's not like she had to dig a tunnel for years. So I agree, she could have been dreaming about it for years, and finally managed to do it when encouraged by someone on social media.

I agree. The type of escape that she carried out, one didn't need to plan it for two years. What was there that one needed to plan for 2 years? I mean, it's not like she had to dig a tunnel for years. So I agree, she could have been dreaming about it for years, and finally managed to do it when encouraged by someone on social media.

I agree. Planning is a wrong word in this context, since there was not much to plan for two years.
More a question of opportunity and mind set.

That person she chatted with was crucial. I think we can all learn from that! A few well chosen words can make a world of difference.

I am convinced if she had not mustered the courage to escape, the situation in the Turpin household would have resulted in deaths.

I would like to hear from David and Louise what their vision for the future was! Mind boggling what they did to their children - what was the purpose? Was it just blind madness????

I wonder how many people will come forward and claim they were the "online hero" that helped her out.

Not sure if this version has been posted. It talks about their survival on peanut butter sandwiches to the point that they have a strong distaste for peanut butter. It also mentions the frozen dinners. The thing in this article that I haven’t seen before is the reference to “no shoes”. Obviously they had them on their special outings and the son that went to college and when one of the daughters originally attended school, but “no shoes” is such a red flag in terms of child neglect. It really is. I’m afraid this story will become so familiar with media exposure that people will become desensitized and forget how awful their situation is. Things like “hog-tied”, “chained and couldn’t go to the bathroom”, didn’t shower / bathe for a year. I am shocked that there wasn’t disease or infection involved. But in the end, I don’t think there should ever be a question that these people suffered. These people...LT and especially DT were smart. They knew how far they could go and push the limits to maintain control and not have them die. Very sad.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/siblings-held-captive-survived-peanut-butter-sandwiches/story?id=53868473

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just finished the videos of the girl singing and it really hit me the pain that girl was going through , my God what strength! To me those videos show what they were going through in the most obvious way to date for me. It's made it very real , also with some training she could be even more amazing she reminded me of Kate Bush so wonderfully unique !

Not sure if this version has been posted. It talks about their survival on peanut butter sandwiches to the point that they have a strong distaste for peanut butter. It also mentions the frozen dinners. The thing in this article that I haven&#8217;t seen before is the reference to &#8220;no shoes&#8221;. Obviously they had them on their special outings and the son that went to college and when one of the daughters originally attended school, but &#8220;no shoes&#8221; is such a red flag in terms of child neglect. It really is. I&#8217;m afraid this story will become so familiar with media exposure that people will become desensitized and forget how awful their situation is. Things like &#8220;hog-tied&#8221;, &#8220;chained and couldn&#8217;t go to the bathroom&#8221;, didn&#8217;t shower / bathe for a year. I am shocked that there wasn&#8217;t disease or infection involved. But in the end, I don&#8217;t think there should ever be a question that these people suffered. These people...LT and especially DT were smart. They knew how far they could go and push the limits to maintain control and not have them die. Very sad.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/siblings-held-captive-survived-peanut-butter-sandwiches/story?id=53868473

I can't get this link to work. It keeps going to the main ABC site. Anybody else having this issue? Did they take down the article?

I can't get this link to work. It keeps going to the main ABC site. Anybody else having this issue? Did they take down the article?
The link doesn't work for me either.

~ The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing. ~

The link doesn't work for me either.

~ The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing. ~

I was able to get a cached version of the story which I was able to read. Not sure if it is okay to copy and paste it here or not. Basically it highlights their naivete and lack of basic life skills, as well as how delightfully charming they are.

Perhaps the most heartbreaking part was that whenever somebody gave them something, they were afraid it was going to be taken back away from them. Sounds like they had that happen a lot when in 'captivity'.

From the article: "They were afraid the anything that they got was going to be taken away ... anything that they got, there was always a question -- at least from one or two of them -- &#8216;Is anybody going to take my things?'&#8221; he added.

Not sure if this version has been posted. It talks about their survival on peanut butter sandwiches to the point that they have a strong distaste for peanut butter. It also mentions the frozen dinners. The thing in this article that I haven&#8217;t seen before is the reference to &#8220;no shoes&#8221;. Obviously they had them on their special outings and the son that went to college and when one of the daughters originally attended school, but &#8220;no shoes&#8221; is such a red flag in terms of child neglect. It really is. I&#8217;m afraid this story will become so familiar with media exposure that people will become desensitized and forget how awful their situation is. Things like &#8220;hog-tied&#8221;, &#8220;chained and couldn&#8217;t go to the bathroom&#8221;, didn&#8217;t shower / bathe for a year. I am shocked that there wasn&#8217;t disease or infection involved. But in the end, I don&#8217;t think there should ever be a question that these people suffered. These people...LT and especially DT were smart. They knew how far they could go and push the limits to maintain control and not have them die. Very sad.

The million dollar question is WHY?
They had money, it didn´t have to go this way with priorities weighed a little differently.

Prioritized:
Massive amount of children, big houses, multiple cars, vanity license plates. massive dvd collection, L and D going out to dine pretty much every day, lavish vows renewals, nails done, hair done. Disney trips, pies (only for mommy and daddy), unopened toys.
When you look at this list, their priorities seem pretty immature, almost childish, like a couple of children playing dress up with dolls, but only when it suits them, most of the time the dolls are thrown in a corner.

Not prioritized:
Food for children, education for children, clothes and shoes for children (except for photo ops), hygiene for children
(except for photo ops)
, dentist visits for children, doctor´s visits for children, bedding for children.

To me the funds aren't the only issue, or the main issues. The whole point of homeschooling is that they were supposed to be properly educating the kids, and they obviously weren't doing that. Was their idea of education more of a military regimen - relegated to writing in journals, memorization of passages, and marching? If that was their mindset, then they are sadly mistaken on what constitutes a good education. I would be curious as to the actual education level of the older kids as well - INCLUDING the one who went to community college. I know we saw pictures of the oldest graduating. But what exactly did she have to do to earn that degree? Does it measure up to educational standards in California? Even if it does, somewhere along the line there was an obvious relaxing of any actual education, despite what is reported in the Sandcastle records.
My opinion, of course, based on the stated education level of the younger ones.

Where can I find the Graduation pictures? I haven't seen any of them. Thanks!

I was able to get a cached version of the story which I was able to read. Not sure if it is okay to copy and paste it here or not. Basically it highlights their naivete and lack of basic life skills, as well as how delightfully charming they are.

Perhaps the most heartbreaking part was that whenever somebody gave them something, they were afraid it was going to be taken back away from them. Sounds like they had that happen a lot when in 'captivity'.

From the article: "They were afraid the anything that they got was going to be taken away ... anything that they got, there was always a question -- at least from one or two of them -- &#8216;Is anybody going to take my things?'&#8221; he added.

I have an idea they may have been "blanket trained".
That is the torturous method the followers of the Quiverfull movement use in their upbringing.

It would explain the unopened toys and the pies the siblings were allowed to look at, but not eat.

Where can I find the Graduation pictures? I haven't seen any of them. Thanks!

I've only seen the ones with the oldest - one with her in cap and gown, one with the whole family, one with a picture of the gift table, if I remember correctly. They were in a previous thread, I believe. Not sure where to find them now. I haven't seen any graduation pictures for any of the other siblings, if indeed they had any kind of ceremony or even if they technically "graduated" - all by DT&LT's standards, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova