GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. They should have had a strong advocate appointed to specifically help them navigate the world and not be taken advantage of, etc. instead it seems they were mostly thrown to the wolves. And California promised they wouldn’t do that. I also was previously under the assumption that the younger children had been adopted and apparently that’s not true either. I don’t know who needs to lose their jobs but the process should start tomorrow.

I also noticed that despite their gains they still have some language challenges and trouble reading social cues. But still impressive as hell for how far they’ve come.

IIRC The 20-20 program indicated that 4 (?) of the younger children had been adopted by their foster parents even as the couple was under investigation for abuse of other children in their care. Does anyone else remember that?

I’m really glad ABC and Diane Sawyer are going to stay on top of this.

i came across Jordan's tiktok, i've never been a fan of watching people do those silly dances but watching her dance made me tear up. She's incredible and I truly hope her and all of the siblings get the proper help and direction they need. It's devastating that they haven't.

What Turpin sisters hope public takes away from their Diane Sawyer interview

Sounds like some good things have happened since the original interview was filmed.

“Jennifer Turpin is working at a local restaurant and is writing Christian pop music she hopes to share with the world. She also dreams of being a published author.

"I have my own place, I recently got a car," she said. "I have an adorable kitty cat and bunny. I love my job, even when it gets hard."”

Jordan Turpin received her high school diploma in one year and is now taking college classes. She said she hopes to become a motivational speaker.

I have just started the 20/20 episode and I'm a bit like WTF at that cop with some of the questions he is asking. Like she is telling them about abuse and siblings chained up and he's asking why don't you ever leave?

I have just started the 20/20 episode and I'm a bit like WTF at that cop with some of the questions he is asking. Like she is telling them about abuse and siblings chained up and he's asking why don't you ever leave?
I think it made sense. He was trying to understand if he was dealing with a young girl with mental health issues, or f he was dealing with a young girl maybe upset at their parents, etc. He tried to get to the bottom of it instead of simply taking her back home, like many would do. I think he did his job. It was important to understand the circumstances of what was going on. I'm glad she took those pictures though, because when LE was able to get inside, the two girls were not shackled anymore. I wonder why they didn't unschackle the boy, did they simply forget about him being shackled too?

I think it made sense. He was trying to understand if he was dealing with a young girl with mental health issues, or f he was dealing with a young girl maybe upset at their parents, etc. He tried to get to the bottom of it instead of simply taking her back home, like many would do. I think he did his job. It was important to understand the circumstances of what was going on. I'm glad she took those pictures though, because when LE was able to get inside, the two girls were not shackled anymore. I wonder why they didn't unschackle the boy, did they simply forget about him being shackled too?
And, unsurprisingly, she sounded much younger than 17.

Jordan and Jennifer were in Good Morning America.

I've seen pictures of some of the adult siblings, they all look really good. It seems like they don't want to be found though, none of them go by their real names, not even Jennifer and Jordan. I'm not sure if some of them actually legally changed their names, good for them though.

I hate to say that I am expecting to learn that the $600k donated has been accessed and used for personal gain by ones who were tasked with using it for the Turpins. Here’s hoping my cynicism is proven wrong.
I think you are spot on - that account should have been a guardianship account under court order where they should have petitioned for the money and the judge would have authorized it based on receipts - etc. They should be ashamed IMO.

Riverside County official expresses 'horror' over abuse of Turpin siblings, pledging 'full' investigation

The top elected official in Riverside County, California, said Tuesday that she was appalled by the abuse endured by the 13 Turpin children over the years, stressing that the county is determined to investigate allegations that the siblings continued to be mistreated after they were placed under the county's care nearly four years ago.

Karen Spiegel, chairwoman of the Riverside Board of Supervisors, offered her first public comments since the plight of many of the Turpin children was detailed during ABC's "20/20" Diane Sawyer special event, "Escape From A House Of Horror," which aired on Nov. 19.

Woman raised with siblings in "house of horror" became TikTok sensation after rescue

Snip
Jordan also thanked people for donating to her family's JAYC Foundation. The JAYC Foundation provides services and support to families suffering from a severe crisis or life interruption.

According to the Turpin donation page, many of the Turpin siblings are not under the care of a guardian or foster parent and need help surviving day to day.

Snip
"I do see my siblings very often and I love them so much," she explained in one video. "We're not in the best living situation right now but we do have a roof over our head and we have a way to get food and we are all very thankful for that."

Last edited:
H
Here a few of the studies I have looked at. Note that overall, at least in the US, those who are religious tend to have lower rates of domestic violence, while those who adhere to fundamentalist religions tend to have higher rates of DV. So, for example, those who follow Christianity tend to have higher empathy levels and thus religious belief acts as a protection against DV, until it is a fundamentalist Christian religion. Then the empathy levels plummet and rates of DV go above average. Sexual abuse/assault tends to be higher among conservatively religious people, especially those who practice fundamentalist religions:

1. The inherent logic of patriarchy says that if men have the right to power and control over women and children, they also have the right to enforce that control. . . . Domination and glorification of violence are characteristics of patriarchal societies. . . . In patriarchy, women and children are defined in relation to men who control the resources and the power. Women and children are the other, the object. Men are the norm, the subject. In a dominance-and-submission social order, there is no true mutual care. Subordinates are to care for the needs of the dominants.24 Similarly, Rosemary Radford Ruether declares: “Domestic violence against women—wife battering or beating—is rooted in and is the logical conclusion of basic patriarchal assumptions about women’s subordinate status.”25 After carefully documenting historical and religious incidents and justifications for the abuse of women, Mary Engel Potter argues that “ideologies of inequity [patriarchy] and the practice of violence are inextricably linked” because the logic of patriarchy provides one just cause for battery, namely female subordination.26
https://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/50/50-3/JETS_50-3_573-594_Tracy.pdf

2. A study showing that:

Gender-related factors at the national and subnational level help to predict the population prevalence of physical and sexual partner violence within the past 12 months. Especially predictive of the geographical distribution of partner violence are norms related to male authority over female behaviour (0·102, p<0·0001)
DEFINE_ME

3. In this chapter, Daphne Marsden considers conservative Christian understandings of gender roles and relationships, and the way that these are rooted in biblically based teachings on male headship and female submission. Evaluating both complementarian and egalitarian understandings of Christian gender roles, she explores the use of certain biblical texts by evangelical Christians to validate patriarchal patterns of male hegemony, thereby justifying spousal violence and preventing abused women from seeking or receiving support. Interspersed throughout her discussion are the testimonies of Christian women impacted by gender violence, whose words illustrate first-hand some of the consequences that arise from conservative Christian teachings about gender roles.
The Church’s Contribution to Domestic Violence: Submission, Headship, and Patriarchy

4. Family Violence in Religious Communities

[T]he triumvirate of family violence (domestic violence, child physical abuse, and child sexual abuse) is more likely to occur in insular, patriarchal communities in which women have little power or influence34—raising questions about how women and children will fare if society hands over greater authority to religious groups.35 Despite the presence of these classic risk factors, researchers have found it surprisingly difficult to measure the incidence of family violence within religious groups.36 The empirical studies that have been undertaken reveal a complex pattern of intimate partner abuse and child abuse in religious communities.37

Notes from link:

Risk Factors in the Sexual Victimization of Children, 4 CHILD ABUSE &NEGLECT 265, 269 (1980) (finding in a study of 796 college undergraduates that "[w]hen a father has particularly conservative family values, for example, believing strongly in children’s obedience and in the subordination of women, a daughter is more at risk for sexual abuse").

EMERSON DOBASH &RUSSELL DOBASH,VIOLENCE AGAINST WIVES: ACASE AGAINST THE PATRIARCHY 33 (1983) ("The seeds of wife beating lie in the subordination of females and their subjection to male authority and control.")
https://law2.wlu.edu/deptimages/Law Review/64-4Wilson.pdf

5. This briefing discusses the insidious links between patriarchy, violence and Christianity and their effects on women as seen through the prevalence of domestic violence in South Africa. Patriarchy, as the rule of the father/male over women, is in itself a form of violence because of its effects on women's dignity and place in society. Using the thought of Rene Girard, the links between violence, the sacred and sexuality are established. Christianity, as a patriarchal religion, does violence to women through its preponderant use of male language for God, its traditional teaching on women's inferiority, the Household Codes in the New Testament which mandate the subordination of women, and its hierarchical structure.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10130950.2004.9676037

6. A study showing how religiosity in general correlates with a DECREASED risk of violence, but fundamentalist religiosity correlates with an increase:

From our findings, it appears that Religiousness, in and of itself, tends to be a factor that is related to greater Empathy/Perspective Taking for college males. However, for males reporting greater endorsement of fundamentalist interpretations of religious beliefs, their experience with religion tended to be associated with lower Empathy/Perspective Taking. Furthermore, given that Empathy/Perspective Taking tends to be a protective factor related to lower risk of IPV perpetration, it is possible that males with higher fundamentalist beliefs tend to be at greater relative risk for perpetration of intimate partner violence. On the other hand, for males who do not espouse fundamentalist beliefs religiousness tends to be associated with greater Empathy/Perspective Taking, which may reduce their risk of IPV perpetration. From a statistical standpoint, the overall relationship between religiousness and empathy when taking into account the direct effect of religiousness and the mediating effect of fundamentalism suggests that no significant relationship exists. However, it is most likely that the lack of a significant overall effect is an artifact of the opposed directionality of those direct (β=.34) and indirect (β =-.69) effects, and not representative of the true relationships among those constructs (Baron & Kenny, 1986). Conversely, when evaluating the total effect of religiousness on Masculine Power over Women, religiousness appears to be related to greater endorsement of male dominance, which in turn has been found to be a risk factor for IPV perpetration. However, our findings suggest that this apparent relationship is almost entirely associated 39 with a man’s endorsement of fundamentalist beliefs, rather than his general Religiousness. Thus, while on the surface Religiousness seems to have no association with beliefs regarding Masculine Power over Women, males endorsing greater fundamentalist beliefs tend to be the ones who also state that they believe in man’s dominant position over women.
https://scholarcommons.sc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4648&context=etd

7. Another study showing the difference in rates of violence between those who are religious (generally not association with psychological aggression, violence approval or intimate partner violence) and those with fundamentalist religious beliefs (higher rates of violence approval and intimate partner violence):
RELIGIOSITY, CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISM, AND INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE AMONG U.S. COLLEGE STUDENTS on JSTOR

8. A study exploring whether fundamentalism and/or other religious variables correlate with increased risk of domestic violence:
Do Fundamentalism and Other Religious Variables Predict Domestic Violence? - by James Alexander

9. An article explaining that studies show: Sexual violence is likely to occur more commonly in cultures that foster beliefs of perceived male superiority and social and cultural inferiority of women.
Sexual violence against women: Understanding cross-cultural intersections

10. Child sexual abuse is a pervasive problem in our communities, and has been for the most part, ignored by churches in Christian denominations. This paper presents the current research regarding the impact of sexual abuse (particularly in children). It explores the hindrance the patriarchal structure of Christian churches has been in giving victims a spiritual place of healing. The author presents suggestions as to what churches can do to better equip their leaders and congregants to deal with the topic of sexual abuse and to make the Christian community a safer place for victims. The article also includes issues for secular traumatologists working with victims of sexual abuse by clergy.
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

11. Religious Affiliations Among Adult Sexual Offenders Donna Eshuys · Stephen Smallbone Published online: 2 August 2006 C Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2006 Abstract This article examines associations between self-reported religious affiliations and official offense histories among 111 incarcerated adult male sexual offenders. Four categories of religiosity were devised according to self-reported continuities and discontinuities in lifecourse religious affiliations: atheists, dropouts, converts, and stayers. ANCOVAs indicated that stayers (those who maintained religious involvement from childhood to adulthood) had more sexual offense convictions, more victims, and younger victims, than other groups. Results challenge assumptions that religious involvement should, as with other crime, serve to deter sexual offending behavior. Results are discussed in terms of social control and situational theories of crime.
http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...Affiliations+Among+Adult+Sexual+Offenders.pdf

12. "One Israeli study confirmed that “…religious Jews who were in prison were more likely to be in for sex crimes.”
Religiosity, criminality and types of offences of Jewish male prisoners Medicine and law, 14 (7-8), 509-19 PMID: 8667998
The Prevalence of Sexual Abuse in Fundamentalist Patriarchal Environments.

13. "A study of freshmen at a southern university in the U.S. found that '…those who had been sexually abused by a relative were much more likely to be affiliated with fundamental Protestant religions.'"
Religiosity and Child Sexual Abuse: A Risk Factor Assessment Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 6 (4), 15-34 DOI: 10.1300/J070v06n04_02
The Prevalence of Sexual Abuse in Fundamentalist Patriarchal Environments.
How do they compare rates of DV between groups when some have a culture of not reporting it?

As others have said, the interview was both heartbreaking and inspiring. At 17, Jordan, talking to the dispatcher and deputy, didn't know the words "medication," "pill," "injury," and "bruise." That is so telling as to the lack of cognitive stimulation in that household. Most 5 year olds would know the latter three words.

I am angry at how these young people have been treated since. The young man (Jacob, I think) asking for help with transportation. I was thinking he might be asking for a car, but, no, he was only asking for a bike and didn't get it. Maybe Jacob again asking for help to understand and use the public transportation system and being told to google it. A child in foster care being told, "No wonder your mother chained you up." Jordan, aging out of foster care, and now couch surfing with no home. People are still failing the children in this family.
They have probably never encountered anything like this before. After being raised to a maximum of third grade education and confined for three decades they are released as adults and expected to function with fewer skills than a child. The only thing comparable would be a prisoner released after a long prison sentence. Except prisoners go in with existing life skills, friends on the outside and parole officers, John Howard society etc. to help them transition to freedom.

Jordan and Jennifer were in Good Morning America.

I've seen pictures of some of the adult siblings, they all look really good. It seems like they don't want to be found though, none of them go by their real names, not even Jennifer and Jordan. I'm not sure if some of them actually legally changed their names, good for them though.
how do you know that? Jordan has Jordan Turpin as her tik tok name, I think she might have had it as Beth something previously I could be wrong

how do you know that? Jordan has Jordan Turpin as her tik tok name, I think she might have had it as Beth something previously I could be wrong
She recently changed her username on TikTok to her real name, but she had a different name everywhere. Same thing for her other siblings that are on social media, they didn't use their real names when I posted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill