GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@claudianunes: The poster was not upset about your question but by my answer. Specifically, s/he thought I was criticizing homeschooling when I was just trying to answer your questions.

The simple and quick answer to your question is that usually potential employers and college admissions will require more than a parent’s word that a student has “graduated.” What they will accept as proof varies.

Regarding a graduation ceremony, I don’t know of any public school that allows students who were not enrolled in that school to graduate with those who were. And you cannot get a highschool diploma from an institution in which you were not enrolled.

However, a lot of homeschoolers are enrolled in distance learning or mail-order curricula offered by private schools (sometimes called “umbrella schools”). They might attend graduation ceremonies organized by these schools. Other homeschoolers will have graduation ceremonies organized by homeschooler associations.

Back to college admissions, many colleges admit students as “non-degree seeking students” even if the students don’t qualify for regular admissions. At the community college level, you can sometimes just sign up for a couple of courses without having documentation of finishing high school. In a couple of cases that I know of, homeschoolers have signed up to take community college courses as part of their “highschool education.”

The goal of community colleges is to provide what students in a community may need. Therefore it is usually very easy to take classes at a community college. Not all these classes “count” towards a degree, but some do.

A student who was underprepared might take a few classes as a “special student” and eventually gain admission to a degree program.

A community college would grant an “associate degree” which would combine “general education” (writing, math, some history, some science, public speaking/communications, maybe computer literacy) with a specialty of some sort. Some associate degrees are stepping stones to a four year degree. A student may transfer most courses to the university program. Some associate degrees, especially in technical fields, provide enough credentials to get a job.

I speculate that the muddled Turpin plan was for the son to earn an associate degree in some technical field. But that was before things got really bad.

Thanks! This whole thing was making my head spin, I get it now.

Sorry, yall. I haven't been on here all day. No, I wasn't upset with anything. And if its a different country, I understand. All I was trying to say is that it is a misconception that kids who home school can't go to a college/ University/ school to receive a 4 year degree. It is common. It happens all the time and is allowed. I think minimizing the education of those who aren't schooled within traditional buildings is just feeding into spreading things that are untrue.

Women belong in the kitchen
Blondes are dumb
Men deserve more money than women for the same job
Stay at home mothers of toddlers must sit around all day and eat ice cream and watch soap operas
Homeschooled children aren't really educated and can't go to college

All of them you will hear people say. Doesn't make any of them true. Fact is, there are good parents and bad parents everywhere. Good teachers / bad teachers. Good doctors/ bad doctors. People who claim to be Christian who are good and those who hide behind that mask to do evil. My point is, the generalizations are untrue and harmful. I 100000% know that these parents are harmful a-holes. I also know and follow lots of cases with kids in school that I can say the same thing about their parents. And schools didn't save those kids, either.

Life is more than a test. I learn things every single day and no one tests me to make sure. I didn't give my child a test to see if he knew how to use the potty or treat other people with respect or the 10 million facts about pokemon that he tells me about during the day. But I know he knows them. Because I am with him and teach him and communicate with him all day long. I definitely don't want a battle. I believe that 95% of parents want the very best for their child. And no one wants our children to succeed more than we do. None of us, in any category, can be judged by the 5% that are able to do harm to their kids. I understand the questions about these kids, but I don't want it to be spread as fact that kids who educate not in a traditional school have any less opportunities than others. They prove their worth and work their way through like everuone else. That was my point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry, yall. I haven't been on here all day. No, I wasn't upset with anything. And if its a different country, I understand. All I was trying to say is that it is a misconception that kids who home school can't go to a college/ University/ school to receive a 4 year degree. It is common. It happens all the time and is allowed. I think minimizing the education of those who aren't schooled within traditional buildings is just feeding into spreading things that are untrue.

Women belong in the kitchen
Blondes are dumb
Men deserve more money than women for the same job
Stay at home mothers of toddlers must sit around all day and eat ice cream and watch soap operas
Homeschooled children aren't really educated and can't go to college

All of them you will hear people say. Doesn't make any of them true. Fact is, there are good parents and bad parents everywhere. Good teachers / bad teachers. Good doctors/ bad doctors. People who claim to be Christian who are good and those who hide behind that mask to do evil. My point is, the generalizations are untrue and harmful. I 100000% know that these parents are harmful a-holes. I also know and follow lots of cases with kids in school that I can say the same thing about their parents. And schools didn't save those kids, either.

Life is more than a test. I learn things every single day and no one tests me to make sure. I didn't give my child a test to see if he knew how to use the potty or treat other people with respect or the 10 million facts about pokemon that he tells me about during the day. But I know he knows them. Because I am with him and teach him and communicate with him all day long. I definitely don't want a battle. I believe that 95% of parents want the very best for their child. And no one wants our children to succeed more than we do. None of us, in any category, can be judged by the 5% that are able to do harm to their kids. I understand the questions about these kids, but I don't want it to be spread as fact that kids who educate not in a traditional school have any less opportunities than others. They prove their worth and work their way through like everuone else. That was my point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's all good. I was just asking how it works to get a homeschooled child in College. I know it happens, I just didn't know how it worked. But I get it now. Plus, I think the parents who homeschool their kids are great, it must be a lot of work, I couldn't imagine doing it. I have helped my younger cousins with school work in the past and, more often than not, I had to refresh my brain about the things I was helping them. It's just this case that breaks my heart and I'm trying to get some context here. Thanks to everyone who have been so kind in explaining things for me.

Isn’t the topic of homeschooling off limits?

It was about one of the sons going from homeschool to Community College and how that works, not sure why that should be off limits if it's related to the case and to one of the siblings?

I've been reading the concern regarding #2 attending college. However, we must not paint all the siblings with the same brush. It has been reported that many of them don't have much more than a first-grade education, but I'm guessing that this was a progression. There was a school-like room set up in one of the TX houses. And there have been pictures of the oldest in a graduation gown and a cake and presents and a diploma.
My guess is that after they pulled #1 out of public school in TX (third grade), they originally made an effort at homeschooling. We see a little of this: #1 graduating high school, #2 going to college. Of course I realize that there is no real proof that either one has that education level on standard subjects.
It is possible that standard education was attempted at first, but slowly dropped by the wayside, until by the time they moved to CA, it was totally dropped - despite registering as a homeschool. Nonetheless, this would indicate the possibility that the older few do have more than a first-grade education.
But it would seem that by the time they moved to CA, they had largely if not completely dropped any formal education of traditional or standard subjects in favor of such activities as journal writing and structured marching. It is possible that this is why the younger siblings don't have much (if any) above a first-grade level of education in regard to most standard subjects. It is likely that it eroded over time. Possibly DT/LT decided it just wasn't worth the effort. So while the oldest few may have had exposure to some standard education, it would seem that the younger siblings did not.
Of course, there is also a question of how LT could qualify to give a proper high school education to her children since, if memory serves, she never finished high school herself.

I've been reading the concern regarding #2 attending college. However, we must not paint all the siblings with the same brush. It has been reported that many of them don't have much more than a first-grade education, but I'm guessing that this was a progression. There was a school-like room set up in one of the TX houses. And there have been pictures of the oldest in a graduation gown and a cake and presents and a diploma.
My guess is that after they pulled #1 out of public school in TX (third grade), they originally made an effort at homeschooling. We see a little of this: #1 graduating high school, #2 going to college. Of course I realize that there is no real proof that either one has that education level on standard subjects.
It is possible that standard education was attempted at first, but slowly dropped by the wayside, until by the time they moved to CA, it was totally dropped - despite registering as a homeschool. Nonetheless, this would indicate the possibility that the older few do have more than a first-grade education.
But it would seem that by the time they moved to CA, they had largely if not completely dropped any formal education of traditional or standard subjects in favor of such activities as journal writing and structured marching. It is possible that this is why the younger siblings don't have much (if any) above a first-grade level of education in regard to most standard subjects. It is likely that it eroded over time. Possibly DT/LT decided it just wasn't worth the effort. So while the oldest few may have had exposure to some standard education, it would seem that the younger siblings did not.
Of course, there is also a question of how LT could qualify to give a proper high school education to her children since, if memory serves, she never finished high school herself.

Great post! I'm guessing that the oldest three or four kids, being close in age, might have had some education besides the very basics. The younger ones might know how to write and read and that's it (I hope they can, at least, read and write). Also, like in any other family, some kids might be more "school smart" than others and that's fine. I hope they get the education they need.
This thread needs a resume post with all the facts we already now, links, the court documents and so on for those who might be starting following this case later in the future.

Thanks for the latest on everything regarding these children. I have been periodically lurking since I last commented, but I had to literally “step away , do a self check up, and protect my emotional vulnerability...
Today after reading the latest article re: the sister who now says that she and Louise were both victims of sexual, psychological, emotional and spiritual abuse; I try to never discredit or dismiss any potential victim... However, the reality of my own healing and prior victim status , also tells me that MSM, does not suddenly give you diarrhea of your heart , soul,and deepest memories... Retelling my story is a painful one, every detail hurts, especially now that I have children of my own that I have successfully protected... The sisters motive for granting the media such lucid sound bites is disturbing to me on many levels... I wish all of the Turpin children much needed light, peace, and love...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all good. I was just asking how it works to get a homeschooled child in College. I know it happens, I just didn't know how it worked. But I get it now. Plus, I think the parents who homeschool their kids are great, it must be a lot of work, I couldn't imagine doing it. I have helped my younger cousins with school work in the past and, more often than not, I had to refresh my brain about the things I was helping them. It's just this case that breaks my heart and I'm trying to get some context here. Thanks to everyone who have been so kind in explaining things for me.

Just to add to the things you've already learned about homeschoolers and college:

I homeschooled my oldest for 3 years. She would have ended up going to college at 16 as she was so far ahead academically. I didn't feel that would be good socially for her, so she went back to public school. If we would have kept on HSing, she would have spent the years between 16-18 at community college (which is free in TN, transfers to any state school, and is now available to high schoolers as dual credit, so she'll have 2 years comm. college done when she graduates high school. That worked out well, lol! ). She would have both shown proof of graduating high school (we used an umbrella school for that, as someone mentioned above), as well as taking the ACT or SAT for admittance to comm. college had she graduated homeschool then went to comm. college. Unless Cali works totally differently, or unless as mentioned above the classes Turpin 2.0 took were just for fun, I expect that at least he had a decent education and is quite bright if he had to pass the SAT.

Just to add to the things you've already learned about homeschoolers and college:

I homeschooled my oldest for 3 years. She would have ended up going to college at 16 as she was so far ahead academically. I didn't feel that would be good socially for her, so she went back to public school. If we would have kept on HSing, she would have spent the years between 16-18 at community college (which is free in TN, transfers to any state school, and is now available to high schoolers as dual credit, so she'll have 2 years comm. college done when she graduates high school. That worked out well, lol! ). She would have both shown proof of graduating high school (we used an umbrella school for that, as someone mentioned above), as well as taking the ACT or SAT for admittance to comm. college had she graduated homeschool then went to comm. college. Unless Cali works totally differently, or unless as mentioned above the classes Turpin 2.0 took were just for fun, I expect that at least he had a decent education and is quite bright if he had to pass the SAT.

According to the transcript obtained by ABC news
(http://abc7.com/perris-torture-case-eldest-son-maintained-393-gpa/2978384/),
J-2 (the eldest Turpin son) began his education at San Jacinto by taking what would be considered remedial/pre-college courses.

In Spring 2014 he took one course: Math 090: Elementary Algebra (roughly the equivalent of highschool algebra 1).

He returned in Fall 2015 to take three courses. Only one, MUS 101: Fundamentals of Music, was college level. The other two, Math 098: Intermediate Algebra, and ENGL 096: English Fundamentals, would be “remedial.” Typically students in these classes get placed there because of “low” scores on a placement tests and/ or the ACT or SAT.

J-2 (the eldest Turpin son) began his education at San Jacinto by taking what would be considered remedial/pre-college courses.

In Spring 2014 he took one course: Math 090: Elementary Algebra (roughly the equivalent of highschool algebra 1).

He returned in Fall 2015 to take three courses. Only one, MUS 101: Fundamentals of Music, was college level. The other two, Math 098: Intermediate Algebra, and ENGL 096: English Fundamentals, would be “remedial.” Typically students in these classes get placed there because of “low” scores on a placement tests and/ or the ACT or SAT.

Hmm, interesting. I'm wondering if there is a bit of a disconnect between what is termed a "community college" for people from different areas. I've seen several people call San Jacinto a "technical college". That is a totally separate thing in TN than a community college, which is a junior college mostly taught on the same level as a 4-year college (thus, why all your credits are guaranteed to transfer). That makes a lot more sense why some people are concerned about his education. I'm doubting he did have to take or pass the SAT if it really is a "technical college".

ETA: community colleges here do have 2 year technical programs as well, but having just looked at San Jacintos website, it's safe to say there's a wide gulf between the offerings compared to TN schools.

Thanks for the link. That explains a lot.

Spring 2014: He took Elementary Algebra and his grade was A.
Fall 2015: He took English Fundaments; Intermediate Algebra and Music Fundamentals, he was graded with A in all of them.
Spring 2016: He took Guitar I; Introduction to Multimedia; Public Speaking; Freshman Composition and College Algebra, he was graded with A in all of them.
Summer 2016: He took Basic Auto Mechanics and his grade was A.
Fall 2016: He took Guitar II and his grade was A.
Spring 2016: He took Auto Brake Systems; Guitar Ensemble and he was graded with A for both; Engine Performance I and wasn't graded for that, he was marked as Withdrawal; and Intro to Archeology and his grade was B.

So, in Spring 2016 things started to get a bit shaky. He withdrew from Engine Performance I and got a B for Archeology. It could be that the abuse escalated even more and he was weaker, shackled more often or that specific class was just too hard for him. I wish we had attendance reports because, if he started missing too many classes, it would be hard for him to keep up with the rest of the class. Anyways, it appears that he stopped attending Mt. San Jacinto in 2016. Why, though?
His class choices are a bit unmatchy in a way. He started with the basics, which makes total sense. And then, he took music classes, a multimedia class and some mechanics (Mechanical Engineering, maybe?) classes and archeology. I don't know but those don't really go together. All in all, no matter how basic the classes he took might have been, he still got mostly A's, which does mean something. If his prior education was so basic (which I believe it was), the fact that he still managed to get those grades is pretty cool.
I believe he was attending the Menifee Campus so, it's a 11 minute drive from their house, not far away at all. Do we know when did the family move from Murrieta to Perris?

Mt. San Jacinto is very typical for a community college. It has what is called "open enrollment", meaning it is open for anyone to take classes. SAT/ACT are not required. A high school diploma or GED is not required. They turn away no one.

Community colleges are meant to serve the community at large. Like other community colleges, Mt San Jacinto has a mix of technical programs and the typical "first two years of college" associate degree courses, with guaranteed admission to state colleges if certain course and GPA requirements are met.

As a community college, it also no doubt provides a wide variety of leisure classes, continuing education and adult education and enrichment courses. Community colleges have low tuition and are a tremendous value and educational resource.

The typical community college does not have the same academic standards as a typical four year research university. Classes are not as challenging, usually more in line with high school courses. (AP and IB courses are more difficult). There is a movement towards making them tuition free, essentially a grade 13 and 14 for those who want technical job training or a transition to a four year university.

Policy on Open Enrollment

Unless specifically exempted by statute, every course, course section or class which is to be reported for state apportionment, is open for enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets the prerequisite of such course as defined in Title 5, section 58106 of the California Administrative Code.

https://www.msjc.edu/StudentServices/EnrollmentServices/Pages/default.aspx

In the United States, community colleges, sometimes called junior colleges, technical colleges, two-year colleges, or city colleges, are primarily two-year public institutions providing lower-level tertiary education also known as continuing education, granting certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees. After graduating from a community college, some students transfer to a four-year liberal arts college or university for two to three years to complete a bachelor's degree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_college

Source: hubs was in administration at several, I've attended for college credit while in high school as well as for fun leisure classes as an adult, son is attending one, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mt. San Jacinto is very typical for a community college. It has what is called "open enrollment", meaning it is open for anyone to take classes. SAT/ACT are not required. A high school diploma or GED is not required. They turn away no one.

Community colleges are meant to serve the community at large. Like other community colleges, Mt San Jacinto has a mix of technical programs and the typical "first two years of college" associate degree courses, with guaranteed admission to state colleges if certain course and GPA requirements are met.

As a community college, it also no doubt provides a wide variety of leisure classes, continuing education and adult education and enrichment courses. Community colleges have low tuition and are a tremendous value and educational resource.

The typical community college does not have the same academic standards as a typical four year research university. Classes are not as challenging, usually more in line with high school courses. (AP and IB courses are more difficult). There is a movement towards making them tuition free, essentially a grade 13 and 14 for those who want technical job training or a transition to a four year university.

Unless specifically exempted by statute, every course, course section or class which is to be reported for state apportionment, is open for enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets the prerequisite of such course as defined in Title 5, section 58106 of the California Administrative Code.

In the United States, community colleges, sometimes called junior colleges, technical colleges, two-year colleges, or city colleges, are primarily two-year public institutions providing lower-level tertiary education also known as continuing education, granting certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees. After graduating from a community college, some students transfer to a four-year liberal arts college or university for two to three years to complete a bachelor's degree.

Source: hubs was in administration at several, I've attended for college credit while in high school as well as for fun leisure classes as an adult, son is attending one, etc.

Grade 13 or 14? I disagree, but perhaps that’s because my home state tends has very good school systems and education is above average. To me, community college is a cost effective way to knock off two years of schooling so you still get the education you need, while spending a fraction of the cost of a university. I went to a state university, then community college for a couple semesters (didn’t like my first school for various reasons), then to a major state university. My community college certainly wasn’t grade 13. And whaddya know, I still graduated with a magna *advertiser censored* laude degree from a state university, but saved a ton of money during those two semesters at community college! Considering the cost of higher education in our country, it makes sense for many people to go to community college for two years to save money, even if they have the credentials to go to a school that isnt considered “grade 13” to some.

Grade 13 or 14? I disagree, but perhaps that’s because my home state tends has very good school systems and education is above average. To me, community college is a cost effective way to knock off two years of schooling so you still get the education you need, while spending a fraction of the cost of a university. I went to a state university, then community college for a couple semesters (didn’t like my first school for various reasons), then to a major state university. My community college certainly wasn’t grade 13. And whaddya know, I still graduated with a magna *advertiser censored* laude degree from a state university, but saved a ton of money during those two semesters at community college! Considering the cost of higher education in our country, it makes sense for many people to go to community college for two years to save money, even if they have the credentials to go to a school that isnt considered “grade 13” to some.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...rs-some-teens-an-easier-transition-to-college

In Oregon, for example, a number of high schools are allowing students to technically remain a high school student for a fifth year so that the district can give these students funding to attend their first year of community college for free,*according to local news reports.

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2014/02/a_fifth_year_in_high_school_ho.html

http://www.ncca.ne.gov/system/Natlhistory.htm

Community college education in the United States has its roots in both secondary and university education. On the one hand, pressure from communities for education, including occupational training, beyond high school for local students gave rise to many two-year colleges. The public two-year schools were often extensions of secondary schools and under the governance of local boards of education. Thus, the concept that free, public education should extend to grades 13 and 14 has been a fundamental organizing principle of the community college movement from its inception.*

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K–16

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...f_high_school_13th_grade_is_a_great_idea.html

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...ents-get-grades-13-and-14-free-of-charge.html

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...ol-model-strengthens-education-to-work-system

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...get-universal-preschool-we-need-a-13th-grade/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...2/gIQATWiUMM_blog.html?utm_term=.97e2dc80a457

Calling the first two years (the “general education” years) grades 13 and 14 is not to devalue the quality of education offered. It just means that US culture is increasingly seeing the need for at least two more years of education beyond the 12 years that culminate in a highschool diploma.

This is no different from the gradual replacement of the eighth grade diploma with the highschool diploma as the least that a person needs to get ahead in our society. I suspect that by the middle of the 21st century (if not sooner) the “associate degree” will have the status that the highschool diploma now has.

Calling the first two years (the “general education” years) grades 13 and 14 is not to devalue the quality of education offered. It just means that US culture is increasingly seeing the need for at least two more years of education beyond the 12 years that culminate in a highschool diploma.

This is no different from the gradual replacement of the eighth grade diploma with the highschool diploma as the least that a person needs to get ahead in our society. I suspect that by the middle of the 21st century (if not sooner) the “associate degree” will have the status that the highschool diploma now has.

But you need to take gen Ed’s in 4 year colleges, so I don’t see why just community college is singled out as grade 13/14. anyway, it’s a shame that some states have such poor public school education that the kids aren’t ready for college after 13 years of schooling.

FWIW, an associates has been pretty much useless for a while. Even a bachelors is nothing special these days.

Thank you for your insight! Its interesting to see the differences in different states. Comm. Colleges in TN do require the SAT or ACT for enrollment, and do not allow anyone to sign up without having graduated high school ( possibly unless it's for enrichment-type classes...cake decorating is a class I know our local school offers, for example). I noticed Turpin 2.0 took automotive classes, which would never be offered at comm. college here. You would go to a TCAT, our technical schools here, for that.

Thank you again for the information! I know our higher education system is a bit different and I enjoy hearing the differences. I'm glad our colleges are free now, and I'm excited for my daughter to be able to receive her high school diploma and Associates degree at the same time. A huge time and money saver!

ETA: Thank you also for the articles you posted in a different post above! This is pretty much exactly what TN has implemented. The first two years are free, even for adults as of this fall. It is working SPECTACULARLY for our economy, and it won't surprise me if we soon follow New York's example and make 4-year colleges free as well.

That's because only successful homeschooled children take the test. The disaster cases are unlikely to ever be tested. Until all homeschooled children are tested, there is no proof that they actually score higher than public school students. And with zero regulations, testing to determine if homeschooling really works better than public schools, is unlikely to happen. From my personal experience of homeschooled people I have met, I seriously doubt that homeschooling is better. The people I have met have never gone to college, so they have never been tested.

I agree the results vary widely. I have homeschooled cousins who were smart to begin with, actually engineers run in the family, so I find it no surprise that they test and show above their age. My sister was homeschooled for the last several years of her schooling, so I have a bit of a personal vested interest in them being better; my sister is just average, largely because my mother isn't a gifted teacher, and neither she nor I did much good in trying to pass on our own English skills to my sister via osmosis. "Don't you hear that that is an incomplete sentence? It doesn't seem weird and wrong?"

However, overall, I'd say that in my experience (friend who has taught freshmen at many campuses in NYC), the homeschoolers and the publicly educated are both coming out of schools lacking these days. My friend also used to coach in some of the college writing centers, and I've read message board threads with other college-level teachers in other places, who basically sigh in despair about all the students they need to send to remedial English classes, including white suburban middle-class kids. One teacher, perhaps hyperbolically, characterized it as "90%" of the incoming college freshmen needing the remedial English.

As for community colleges, in my experience it depends upon the state system and rules for education. (Also a NYS community college graduate here, before getting a bachelor's and a master's.) The community colleges are required to belong to the SUNY network (read: NYS-sponsored colleges); so these community colleges have the same degree-granting standards that a four-year NYS state school does; although the community college is of course granting two-year degrees. Does this mean that a student entering there has to be seeking a degree? Of course not; you can go there for a single class in cake decorating or auto mechanics, if you so desire (most places call this "auditing"). It does not, however, confer any particular judgment about the quality of the degree you would receive at the end of the experience, *if* you enter the college deciding that you in fact wish to pursue a degree. If the community college offers an associate's (two-year) degree in Liberal Arts, general education, or Music; the student enrolling in that degree program can absolutely be seeking a "real, legitimate degree". To some extent, the whole conversation about what the young Turpin male was doing at community college usually reminds me of my friend's 20something daughter, who used to get really irate about Legally Blonde's "She's a - fashion merchandising major?" line. "Fashion merchandising is absolutely a real major with real classes! It's not a joke major!"

Thank you for your insight! Its interesting to see the differences in different states. Comm. Colleges in TN do require the SAT or ACT for enrollment, and do not allow anyone to sign up without having graduated high school ( possibly unless it's for enrichment-type classes...cake decorating is a class I know our local school offers, for example). I noticed Turpin 2.0 took automotive classes, which would never be offered at comm. college here. You would go to a TCAT, our technical schools here, for that.

Thank you again for the information! I know our higher education system is a bit different and I enjoy hearing the differences. I'm glad our colleges are free now, and I'm excited for my daughter to be able to receive her high school diploma and Associates degree at the same time. A huge time and money saver!

ETA: Thank you also for the articles you posted in a different post above! This is pretty much exactly what TN has implemented. The first two years are free, even for adults as of this fall. It is working SPECTACULARLY for our economy, and it won't surprise me if we soon follow New York's example and make 4-year colleges free as well.

Four year state schools are only free in NY if it’s your first time attending college, your household income is under $125,000, and you must stay in the state for 4 years after you graduate, or for however long you are in the program, and if you don’t you will have to pay it all back. In some parts of the country, $125k might sound like a lot, but in my area it’s not much at all, so many families do not benefit from this. But it’s a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member