CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only post occasionally and haven't at all for a while, but this situation brought me out of lurkerdom. Those poor, poor kids. My heart just breaks for them, especially the older ones. "Not allowed to wash" hit me hardest; I know how gross I feel if I skip a shower for just one day! :o And the oldest girl was 29! When I was 29, I had my own place (with roommates, but hey, expensive city!), a job, two cats, came and went as I pleased...those poor young adults have been robbed, and that is one thing they will never get back, that span of young-adult years.

As for calling the authorities: In retrospect, it's easy to say "why didn't anyone do X?" Especially since calling animal control will often uncover cases of child or dependent adult abuse. I wonder if people did call and nothing was done? I've called Animal Control when I've suspected animal abuse/neglect, and been told "nothing we can do." And this was a white, to outer appearances middle-class family, which had to play a factor, because "oh they look like nice people!" If the kids have seen a doctor, there are no excuses for them, to be sure; I wonder if there are doctors who see kids from isolated, religious home-school families who are "tame" and won't call authorities and have this kind of clientele? Just my speculation.

Petty, but annoying: who renews their vows over and over??? That's not a very popular thing where I live, and those who do, only do it ONCE. I hate policing how people spend their money but in this case - starving kids ffs! - it's irresistible.

This is a good point....maybe someone did call...we just don't know...Lord knows we have seen many balls get dropped and many things slip through the cracks in various cases here...

Ok guys, so, I made this up. Photo of all of the survivors with their ages.

(ETA: Does anyone else get "404 - image not found"? - I do. If so, just click the thumbnail. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?)

cache.php

This is happening a LOT and I don’t know what the fix is. Great job though!

Attachments

• BF84DD41-A228-4CAE-A52B-7CE0EF8667D9.jpeg
    BF84DD41-A228-4CAE-A52B-7CE0EF8667D9.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 105
So this is 5 cases of animal abuse then, 4 dogs and one cat? Or 2 cats?
I recall at least one dead cat, one live cat in dumpster, unidentified animal(s) crying and never found, and at least two dogs locked in the house, left to die, who rushed out when the kid opened the door.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

(I can't stop thinking about the Sound of Music, I think it's the outfits...was this in their DVD collection? Just wondering...)

Read through thread, has anyone posted the link hsinvisiblechildren.org? It has statistics there on homeschooling. Most homeschoolers that I know are just the best, but without oversight, this great choice for families can be abused. Oversight would probably not upset most homeschoolers that have great groups, great curriculum.

My husband works for a defense contractor. My mother use to do government security clearances for the Bureau of Prisons. If he needed at secret clearance, and most but not all jobs in engineering for defense contractors require one, they would have interviewed his neighbors. They also would have checked his financial records and unpaid bills, large debts, and bankruptcy could have cost him his clearance.
I don't know what he was doing for Northrup Drummond , Lockheed or G.D. but it is hard to imagine none of those jobs required a security clearance. It is also hard for me to imagine he was able to pass the background check based on the financial issues alone. I'm a bit at a loss.
(Edited for grammar issues and clarity. I should read what I write before posting.)

This is a good point....maybe someone did call...we just don't know...Lord knows we have seen many balls get dropped and many things slip through the cracks in various cases here...
Just FYI. If your calls are ever ignored by animal control, tell a rescue or Humane group that it was ignored. We usually either get on their case until they check it out or figure out a way to check it out ourselves. The truth is, we often don't care if we end up trespassing if we can't get authorities to check out a potentially dying animal.

"
. One of the girls said to me, "I can't tell you our names, but if you listen I might be able to find out what our names are, and then the little sister said, 'Don't say anything' to the older one,' Shelli says."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...in-kids-says-family-left-kitten-dumpster.html

Is it possible they really didn't know their names?

I'm glad you found this quote. I've been thinking if it since a previous poster wondered if the J names were not given to all the kids at birth. Perhaps they still used these possible real names in secret at that point or just couldn't keep their possibly new J names straight.

When did the Duggars come to prominence? I should just Google that I suppose.... I know same first initial can be a thing, but I'd expect to maybe see a parent's initial used or parents sharing the first initial to start the trend.

Monster Dad worked for government contractor firms, and most likely required a government “clearance” to work there. How the h@ll did he pass the background investigation to get a clearance...if he did?

Concerning....

If there was nothing on his record...

I was going to ask the same thing!!

(And then I thought to myself I really could do without a visual)

Sorry - don't know how to multi-quote reply but to Doghairrules' original thoughts about how the master bedroom looked...

I sure noticed that the picture of Louise in her bed with the newest baby had nice clean sheets and a decent looking headboard. So I'm guessing that they kept it relatively clean for themselves.

Rosesfromangels, that is a very interesting question...

I don't know anyone who ever worked with a company that did work for the Federal government, so I don't know what is involved in getting clearance. But you would think that at some point, it would involve someone paying a visit to the house and talking with the spouse at the very least. I mean, I guess it would really depend on what level his clearance had to be, but I know that General Dynamics and Northrup both build military aircraft. If you're working at a company that is anyway involved in defense contracts, you would think there would be very detailed background checks. And it seems like I read somewhere that they do even talk with family members. What the heck happened there??

I'd have to look at the timeline again, but is it possible THIS is why he and Mommy Dearest were living somewhere else separate from the kids at one point? Maybe it wasn't the trailer. Maybe they had another house or apartment somewhere that looked more "normal" so he could pass background checks? I know this is a lot of speculation and theorizing, but it would kind of make sense. If so, these creeps somehow managed to fool the government too?

My husband had secret clearance when he worked in defense. I can just about guarantee my DH worked in a more sensitive capacity than DT did. We were informed that both his family and mine would be contacted, but to my knowledge that never happened. No home visit or anything like that - we assume they just did background checks on all our families and left it at that. After he was cleared, we just received instructions on what countries we shouldn't visit, people of certain nationalities we should be very careful about, etc, and that was it. Now, if we're talking TOP secret, I don't know what would happen there, but I seriously doubt DT had top clearance.

The bigger question for me, was if DT had any type of clearance, how he was able to obtain that with his history of financial issues. Someone else mentioned upthread that that's a big red flag and potential cause for termination, because you are considered at risk for blackmail by unscrupulous individuals if you're having big money problems, and that's something we were informed of as well.

Ok guys, so, I made this up. Photo of all of the survivors with their ages.

(ETA: Does anyone else get "404 - image not found"? - I do. If so, just click the thumbnail. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?)

cache.php
I can't see the image, even if I click on the thumbnail :(

In general, I don't agree with those who have condemned neighbours, extended family, Elvis*, etc., for not reporting. It's easy for us to say, with hindsight, what they should have done. But the fact is that most people have to cross a huge psychological distance to get from "hmm, that's a bit hinky" to"A crime is being committed and I must report it." This is especially true when whatever's going on involves other people's private lives. We also don't know how the bystanders viewed family relationships in general, or whether they had any reason to distrust the police or social services.

But I do wonder why relatives never checked up on the older kids once they reached adulthood. Did no one think, "Hmm, my niece must have graduated high school by now, I think I'll look her up and try to get to know her without my crazy sister interfering?"

On a vaguely related note - were the older boys registered for Selective Service? If not, did the government follow this up?

* Don't know if anyone on WS has blamed him, but I've seen comments elsewhere that did.

rsbm

And as far as home photos from Texas, we don't know what or if Turpin family did te damage. Most homes especially foreclosure homes need cleaning and replacing of carpet and repairs.

This is a horrible situation as we know and will get worse but jmho seeing comments as if strained carpet is from something criminal as in dead human is wrong with no proof. Jmho

Respectfully, not seeing how this is such a big reach here to discuss the possibility. Beatings, strangulations, zip ties, shackles, padlocks, starvation, animal abuse...jmo.

That's why I said I assume they are bringing extra care in, such as home health.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes they are sending them out to a home in circumstances they normally would. Given all that authorities and health care professionals have said about their needs, I assume they are taking steps to make sure these are met. These are extraordinary circumstances, and the care that is being arranged is likely also extraordinary. I do believe they are thinking outside the box.

Agreed. I suspect what is required is a single large property of the sort of size that would be used for a group home. In reality this group is as large as would fill a medium sized child residential facility anyway. What single foster family could accommodate them unless they owned a hotel?

Just FYI. If your calls are ever ignored by animal control, tell a rescue or Humane group that it was ignored. We usually either get on their case until they check it out or figure out a way to check it out ourselves. The truth is, we often don't care if we end up trespassing if we can't get authorities to check out a potentially dying animal.

Hooray for advocates! I do the same thing for cancer patients, sadly enough. Don't ask, it's depressing.

Lurker newbie from the U.K. here, have read all the threads so far (taken me 2 days!)
just such a horrific case, 17 yr old is so amazing and so so brave for doing what she did.

i had a abusive dysfunctional upbringing and fear does truly paralyze you in these types of situations, I went to school and Drs etc etc but because I couldn’t know for certain that someone would immediately remove me from the situation, I was too scared to tell anyone anything in fear that it would discussed with my mum and that I would be severely punished for it once back home. I remember her giving me two black eyes one day when I was about 9, my teacher asked me what happened and I told her I’d walked into a door-that in itself should have been enough to arouse suspicion as the injuries were not consistent with walking into a door, my teacher accepted that response and nothing was done.
neighbours and mums friends must of known what was happening too as they would of heard the shouting and crying etc and I vividly remember one of her friends being in the home whilst I was sat at the table being forced to eat mouldy, sour, food, she obviously didn’t report that to anyone.

So I can totally see why it took until now for one of the survivers to escape, I can imagine the lengths she probably had to go through to conceal the phone she’d found and make a plan of where, how and when to make a break for it and to have the insight to take photos as proof, such an amazing kid.

i know when I got out it was partly prompted by the fact she’s had applied to take some foreign exchange kids into our home and I couldn’t let that happen, I couldn’t let someone else be treated as she’d treated me or for them to witness what was happening, it was the extra push I needed to make a break for it. I don’t think hero survivor had planned the exact day, but maybe that she was worried they would be moving again/murder / sucicide plot or that another child in the house was deteriorating rapidly and she was worried they wouldn’t survive if they stayed any longer.

Just my thoughts, sadly I think there will be much more horrific details to come in the following months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma