CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just jumping in gor a minute. I've seen a number of posts referring to the boarded up windows at one of the previous properties, questioning how the neighbours did not notice they were living in darkness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i kinda assumed the windows were boarded up after the property was foreclosed and becane vacant, not that they had been living in darkness

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't know. I heard of cases in the recent years where parents/guardians locked the food up and the kids and then claimed the children had something called Prader Willi syndrome, which is a condition where there is a malfunction in the hypothalamus that causes kids and adults to continuously eat..
Yes, I've also heard of that. There are group homes for them, with 24 hour supervision to help limit their food intake because they will do anything to get to a food supply.

Something about the photo of the fridge location - there's also peeling wallboard behind where the fridge was located. I can understand seeing walls throughout the house where the children peeled paper off the wallboard, but behind the fridge? Did they pull out the fridge and sit back there pulling off the paper? Anything's possible, but it sure seems odd.

That was 'Elizabeth the Story Changer' who said her parents had taken multiple trips out there and when they arrived, L&D wouldn't tell them where they lived so they returned home in tears. She later back peddled and said her parents had called to ask about visiting and Louise told them not to come. I think the grandparents more than likely sent the gifts.

I see what you did there...

Did we know the family lived in California in the 90s?

Teresa, who went on a trip to visit her sister when the couple lived in Brea, California, more than 20 years ago, said she saw no signs of abuse.

She added: “We rode a train out there cross country,' she said. 'It was so cool. David and Louise were there to meet us at the station and she took us to her house. It was very clean and very well kept.

“She took us to Disneyland while we were there. We went to Universal Studios, we went to the old Movieland Wax Museum.

“We saw the Hollywood sign and the world's biggest tree with a tunnel cut through it. It was a trip I will never forget, it was the highlight of my life.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...ouise-David-drinking-gambling-mid-life-crisis

I don't know. I heard of cases in the recent years where parents/guardians locked the food up and the kids and then claimed the children had something called Prader Willi syndrome, which is a condition where there is a malfunction in the hypothalamus that causes kids and adults to continuously eat. In terms of the Turpin's defense, who knows what they will come up to try to excuse their actions. When I look at the Turpins' situation and the kidnapping of Jaycee Dugard, who was held captive in a backyard in Antioch for 18 years, I think that Jaycee and her two children actually were not chained up continuously like what is described in the Turpin's case.

Yeah, I'm almost positive Jaycee & her kids were not chained. They were certainly limited to their living area in the backyard but they weren't restrained.

I'm sure we'd know if Prader-Willi was a factor. I'm certain it's not. Good point tho. I too am really into speculating about what the heck the defense will pull outta their butts for this case!

Parents may lock up food or hide food if someone in the household has bulimia or binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating. I've experienced this myself firsthand. Obviously w/ 13 kids that can't be their excuse. Like, it's impossible that all 13 have Prader-Willi or another eating or feeding disorder. And feeding disorders include such things as nocturnal eating/sleepwalk-eating; extreme picky eating; rumination syndrome .. and even a lot of functional GI disorders such as GERD, IBS & IBDs can cause "phantom" hunger and malabsorption that can contribute to strange eating patterns (I live this myself every day of my life). Again, defense is outta luck 'cause not ALL 13 kids can possibly have such a condition (insert huge eye roll here).

Lauren Kavanaugh's mother successfully duped her relatives & her other children into believing Lauren had a compulsive-overeating-type eating disorder, saying that was why she was excluded from meals & locked out of cupboards. Indeed, the little girl DID compulsively eat anything she could get her hands on, bc of her prolonged starvation/malnutrition...so of course this only served to bolster the mom's original excuse, so everyone believed it. How messed up is that?!

Back to the Ts: I felt a teeny tiny bit of sympathy when ppl were speculating upthread that sheer lack of resources/finances may have started the spiral of food deprivation...but if the parents were eating out that often (Taco Bell every day?!) that's just crappy financial planning & meal planning on their part. Anyone who's ever been on a budget knows how to clip coupons and just boil up a ton of pasta for the week to really stretch their food dollar. Sure, the kids' diet wouldn't have been that "healthy" but at least calories would be going in more than once a day. It takes a LOT of planning & organization to feed a family of 15, plus 2 dogs. Mama Turpin is lazy or just doesn't care enough. Sad. Managing a big family is a job in itself, no doubt about it...but that's what you get when you choose to have that many children. I was raised LDS and I grew up knowing several families with 8 or more kids. It's tough but it can be done.

Ive got chains like this on my fridge and cooker. They are a safety precaution and used to hold the appliance against the wall so it doesnt topple

Just about the write the same. Most refrigerators have safety chains so it doesn't topple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just jumping in gor a minute. I've seen a number of posts referring to the boarded up windows at one of the previous properties, questioning how the neighbours did not notice they were living in darkness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i kinda assumed the windows were boarded up after the property was foreclosed and becane vacant, not that they had been living in darkness

Yeah, I think it is possible that the front window was taken out so that they could get their furniture out of the house, and then it was boarded back up crudely (it was not sealed around the edges). Or the Turpins might have done that when they lived there.

Even though, as far as we know, they are not to face any charges in Texas can people from Texas be called in to testify?

It occurred to me that a defense argument could be that some conditions (e.g., filthy living conditions) were short-term. But, there are various people who saw and cleaned the Texas house. I know it sat vacant for a while, but it is possible some as yet unheard of person from the bank saw it very soon after the Turpins left. Is this allowed? Does anyone know?

I could be wrong in this impression, but it seems the parents were more reclusive in California than they were in Texas.

Just about the write the same. Most refrigerators have safety chains so it doesn't topple.

Are the chains as long as are pictured in the rio vista house? I'm trying to get my mind around how that would work. Perhaps it is more common to anchor your fridge to the wall in earthquake prone areas?

Yes, I've also heard of that. There are group homes for them, with 24 hour supervision to help limit their food intake because they will do anything to get to a food supply.

Something about the photo of the fridge location - there's also peeling wallboard behind where the fridge was located. I can understand seeing walls throughout the house where the children peeled paper off the wallboard, but behind the fridge? Did they pull out the fridge and sit back there pulling off the paper? Anything's possible, but it sure seems odd.

I'm pretty sure that''s paint, not wallpaper. When there is water leaking down or behind the sheetrock, the paint will bubble and start to peel. They may have peeled it once it started coming away from the wall a bit. Our house was in an area that flooded when I was a kid...if walls aren't dried out completely, the paint will flake. It will also smell awful after a while because of mold and mildew in the wall. I borrowed a purse from my mom's closet years after moving out and it reeked of the mildew odor. No ventillation in that area after years of floods and humidity, ech. This is why I really hope the kids didn't live in farm house in that condition.

Texas is not prone to earth quakes.

I have not ever seen a chained refrigerator in my life (in the United States). Refrigerators are not really prone to toppling over here, even empty they are pretty heavy.

So did Elizabeth Smart. OK it was shoplifting, not bank robbery, but the same concept. Even after she was in police custody she still refused to tell them who she was. She was still clearly hoping that she would be reunited with the kidnappers. That is classic Stockholm Syndrome. At least when Patti Hearst was arrested, she admitted who she was right there. Elizabeth Smart was still trying to play along with the charade, even after she was in police custody.

She wasn't hoping to be reunited, she was scared of them.

Texas is not prone to earth quakes.

I have not ever seen a chained refrigerator in my life (in the United States). Refrigerators are not really prone to toppling over here, even empty they are pretty heavy.

No, I've never heard of anchoring such a heavy item as a fridge in Australia. Bookshelves etc, sure :)

I've never seen chains on a refrigerator in the U.S.

Me either unless it was empty, turned off and in an area where a child could crawl in and get locked inside. If the repo people were getting ready to move it, they may have secured anything that might open or move in transit?

ETA - I thought we were still talking about the locked refrigerator the neighbor said she saw in the doublewide here...apologies.

No, of course she didn't believe she was safer with her kidnappers. She didn't want to die, and she certainly didn't want her family to die so she didn't try to run. I think it has much more to do with fight, flight, or freeze - what we all do as a response to a serious threat. She was terrorized, and in no way was bonded to her captors.

And hers was freeze. She says herself she never developed any sort of fondness for her kidnappers. I think there are other victims, such as JD, who appear to have had some sort of Stockholm syndrome, but in ES case, it appears she was mostly in fear for her life and that's why she didn't try to resist.
"I never had Stockholm syndrome,'' she says in the movie. "Just because I physically stopped resisting, doesn't mean I hated it any less. I wasn't sympathetic towards them. I despised them."
https://www.today.com/news/elizabeth-smart-one-question-won-t-go-away-why-didn-t118795

Are the chains as long as are pictured in the rio vista house? I'm trying to get my mind around how that would work. Perhaps it is more common to anchor your fridge to the wall in earthquake prone areas?

A relative of mine lived in an earthquake prone area and she never had chains on her fridge.

Me either unless it was empty, turned off and in an area where a child could crawl in and get locked inside. If the repo people were getting ready to move it, they may have secured anything that might open or move in transit?
The most common is anti tip brackets, but I've also seen chains attached as well to prevent it from tipping. It is also used on ovens.

https://partsdr.com/part/wb2x7909-a...IP0dsQ8ACJ25xklXDZzyKA55L1Kau-48aAsInEALw_wcB

41e3aee427ebf7848b00ba2931d1e325.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads