CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. When my son was a teen, he had a bowel resection surgery. He was not allowed to eat until his bowel healed enough to kick in and start working again - which took several days. The first two days after surgery, he was so hungry, and wanted to eat, but after that, he started losing his appetite until it was gone. At that point, he could watch tv with ads showing delicious meals, but he said watching didn't make him hungry all. I wonder if something similar happened to the Turpin kids? Parents restricted calories/food so much, that some of them lost their appetites?? I realize my son's situation was different, but like you say, DT and LT caused this to happen in the first place.

Yes, I think it can happen sometimes. I don't know how long it lasts, though.

I can think of legitimate reasons to lock refrigerator and cupboards in a home. However, locking ones refrigerator is not equal to starving ones children which is what the Turpins did. It doesn’t matter what EXCUSE they come up with for locking food up. They were legally and morally responsible to feed their children.

HEre in the uk, chains on cookers are compulsory afaik, I know when we had a gas safe engineer out to install our cooker it had to be chained to the wall for safety and for him to be able to sign off the connection as safe. I’ve never known people to have their fridge chained to the wall.
the chain used on cookers is not very long and usually is only one chain rather than two. These two chains easily look long enough to pass round the front of a fridge and fasten with a padlock and in my mind I’m in no doubt that’s what they were for.

I personally feel that that they were given a small amount of food each day, just very little and possibly something not all that nutritious-possibly Vienna sausage given the fact old neighbours mention cans strewn everywhere. I doubt they would’ve lost their appetite if they were given a tiny amount each day and LE said they gave the kids beverages and food when they rescued them as they said they were starving.

Is children standing on open oven doors a thing that happens? (Mind is boggled.) As in frequently? (Readies fainting couch) What?

I had a tenant sue me after toddler, who frequently used the oven door as a trampoline, finally broke the door off and cut his finger.

Maybe they used the chains to lock the refrigerator at night and to chain the kids in the kitchen during the day.

Judging from this photo, I would say this house had not been a subject of flooding. I see no flood line behind the fridge. I suspect the filthy walls in the house were animals running around rubbing against them.

Texas is not prone to earth quakes.

I have not ever seen a chained refrigerator in my life (in the United States). Refrigerators are not really prone to toppling over here, even empty they are pretty heavy.

I have seen one home in US which had locks on refrigerator and all cabinets and pantry. Out of thousands of homes
I've been in due to my profession. I asked the elderly owner about the locks and he explained he was renting out
bedrooms by the night, and the tenants were stealing his food. Only time I've ever come across this.

On another note, didn't the DA mention "sadism" in the initial presser? If this is indeed sadism, I wonder if there
isn't some perversion of DT that devolved into "Sexual Sadism". Been doing some reading on this and apparently
control, starvation, strangulation as well as sexual activities w/ the controlled victims is common. This could get very
complex, trying to figure out the disorders of these monster parents.
Has anyone seen any other discussion on diagnoses of parents?

The oldest child was born in California in 1988, so I guess they lived out there at some point. Most of our information starts with them living in a house in Fort Worth from 1992 to 1999.

There was earlier discussion that the oldest was born in CA according to a poster who found her listed on the CA birth registry or something like that. I think another poster mentioned a Brea address s/he found at that time too.

It was a couple of threads ago. I'll see what I can find if I have time.

ETA: not exact address, not as helpful as I'd hoped, but found it

01-23-2018, 02:02 AM#34 laikawolf

It's my understanding that they moved to Murrieta, CA in 2010 after living in Rio Vista, TX. So I don't think they lived in Murrieta, CA in the 1980's. However, a whitepages search for LT shows that at one point she lived in Brea, CA. To me, this is most likely where they lived when the eldest child was born. And a Google maps search shows that Brea, CA is only 8 miles to Disneyland. Maybe the obsession with Disney started there?

The article was about abused children still “loving” their parents.

I think in this case since the children had planned an escape for two years, it indicates that they did not “love” their parents.

Running away is one thing. Planning for two years and risking one’s life to run away seems to indicate getting away from them was worth the chance of death rather than stay with the parents any longer
'
I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if they still had some level of caring for their parents. It's just not uncommon. No matter how much we don't understand. That's the only parents they've known and I've seen it in foster care/adopted foster children too. The young lady who stayed a bit with us? No one called on her father. At 12 or 13, SHE figured out her relationship w/her father, and her home life, was very different than that of her classmates, and reported him (took some strength). It seemed she still had a wish for normalcy that never happened, and could never happen, between them. I don't know if that's even how to describe it.

Was there a fridge even there while they lived there? Hot dogs and takeaway food have no need for a fridge? is it an assumption that there was a fridge there or are there photos?

Here is a long-term example of not being hungry vs. Turpin case

I have a mild eating disorder. I was underweight for years. I thought it was o.k. because I "ate every day", was " naturally thin", and "ate when I was hungry". It wasn't o.k. because sometimes I got sick when I did eat. And I just wasn't hungry a lot although I knew I needed food, so I ate anyway.

I did see doctors. Never was I put in the hospital. Never did they worry I would DIE. Never did they say I had permanent cognitive impairment.

What I did negatively impacted my health forever (and, note, I did not mean to do it... I wasn't dieting.) But, it is nothing compared to what we have been told about this case.

Finally, my parents never, ever refused me food. Maybe they would say no to a treat, but nutritious food I could have any time I wanted. This continued into adult years (when I was at my lowest weight). I literally cannot imagine my family refusing to feed me.

I never weighed as little as 82 pounds.

Their parents just wouldn't feed them. They had to ask the police.

ETA: I was allowed treats. But, a kid will want a brownie right before dinner. That was when I would be told no. The treats were mostly for me.

I believe it has been said that the extended family didn't have the new Perris address? So that would rule out sending gifts, I'm guessing.

They might possibly have gotten their mail at a PO box instead of at the home -- I suspect that people who don't want a postal worker coming to the house on a near-daily basis would be inclined to do that.

The peeling sheetrock behind the fridge tells me this may have been a condition throughout the house before the Ts move into it. I don't see mold, I see dirt and grime. Mold would have grown into the spots were the sheetrock is missing, it didn't.

I have never seen a fridge or a stove (cooker) chained to the wall.

Looking at the marks I'd say 2 children were probably chained not here, not a fridge, I think the marks are when they've been sat there picking at the wall maybe? JMO

Was there a fridge even there while they lived there? Hot dogs and takeaway food have no need for a fridge? is it an assumption that there was a fridge there or are there photos?

Just me, but I refrigerate hot dogs. My Mom taught us to fear the dreaded Ptomaine poisoning.

From the book Chained, the lives of six abused children. There is much more of this excerpt at this link It's like a playbook for this case, and it is horrifying.

.Screenshot_2018-01-28-10-59-36-1.jpg

Here is a long-term example of not being hungry vs. Turpin case

I have a mild eating disorder. I was underweight for years. I thought it was o.k. because I "ate every day", was " naturally thin", and "ate when I was hungry". It wasn't o.k. because sometimes I got sick when I did eat. And I just wasn't hungry a lot although I knew I needed food, so I ate anyway.

I did see doctors. Never was I put in the hospital. Never did they worry I would DIE. Never did they say I had permanent cognitive impairment.

What I did negatively impacted my health forever (and, note, I did not mean to do it... I wasn't dieting.) But, it is nothing compared to what we have been told about this case.

Finally, my parents never, ever refused me food. Maybe they would say no to a treat, but nutritious food I could have any time I wanted. This continued into adult years (when I was at my lowest weight). I literally cannot imagine my family refusing to feed me.

I never weighed as little as 82 pounds.

Their parents just wouldn't feed them. They had to ask the police.

ETA: I was allowed treats. But, a kid will want a brownie right before dinner. That was when I would be told no. The treats were mostly for me.

I wore a size 0 at one time and am considered on the tall side, but small framed. I'd go without eating for days. I now have sugar and can't do that.

I would not be too surprised if we see the boxed toys trotted out in court. So, we will see what they are.

They could be collectibles from Disney trips, they could be gifts, they could be free with purchase items... We don't really know what they are or how they were obtained at this point.

We just have been told there are some boxed toys the children couldn't use.

ETA: personally, I feel it is neglectful to a child's development to deprive them of toys. Jmo

I agree about the toys. I've known a collector and calling his toys, er his collectibles, "toys" sure ticked him off. Especially if they aren't a collection nor Christmas presents, they are one more bizarre facet to this case.

I wore a size 0 at one time and am considered on the tall side, but small framed. I'd go without eating for days. I now have sugar and can't do that.
Yes, I wore tiny sizes and am small framed.

Your body literally does not work properly if you do not get proper nutrition I have learned at great expense (not just money).

But, besides any and all of that, I cannot imagine anyone in my family refusing me food. I really cannot. I could go to my sister's house and make a sandwich right now and she would be o.k. with that.

Their own parents looked them right in the face and said, "no" when they asked for food.

This is an excellent case study/ peer reviewed article on how child torture differs from "traditional" forms of child abuse and perpetrator characteristics.

TRIGGER WARNING. I began reading the article and there are some very graphic photos of the abuse that I did not expect to see, as the scholars did not include a warning. Please proceed accordingly if you are going to read it. I scrolled past.

Torture is different from other forms of child abuse, but it currently lacks medical definitional criteria. As opposed to torture, the majority of commonly recognized physically abu- sive acts result from a caregiver’s episodic unchecked anger or loss of self-control. Torture is usually prolonged or repeated and includes acts designed to establish the perpetrator’s dom- ination and control over the child’s psyche, actions and access to the necessities of life. It employed elements of both physical abuse and psychological cruelty

All study children in this case series were subjected to more than one form of egregious physical abuse and neglect, and most children were deprived of basic necessities of lifeTable 3 lists types of psychological abuse(s) and neglect of child victims. Eighty-nine percent experienced food depriva- tion and 79 % were fluid restricted. Sixty-four percent were restricted in the performance of normal bodily functions, including toilet access for urination and defecation. The ma- jority of children (89 %) were isolated from people outside the immediate family; 75 % experienced solitary confinement. For over half, few individuals outside the abuser(s) knew of the child’s existence.

An additional 47 % who had been enrolled in school wereremoved under the auspice of “homeschooling.” This “homeschooling” appears to have been designed to further isolate the child and typically occurred after closure of a previously opened CPS case. Review of these cases found no true educational efforts were provided to the homeschooled children. Their isolation was accompanied by an escalation of physically abusive events.

I have removed link until I can ask a mod if it is okay to post this due to graphic photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylvanianvicious