CA - 4 Family Members Kidnapped From Business, Merced County, Oct 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is beyond horrible. I honestly have no words to express my sorrow for this family and my disgust/anger for the perpetrator. I am so sad we live in a world with people who could carry out something like this.

Sadly, we knew this was going to be the outcome. They would have been able to get away some how in any other situation. IMO. Saldago Doesn't need to be conscious anymore.
My deepest sympathy to their families. I can't even imagine. Prayers and I am so sorry.
I'm grateful for Saldago’s family for notifying LE of his involvement in the crime.

Unfortunately it was the obvious outcome once we learned the suspect had tried to take his own life. Coward knew he'd be caught and didn't want to be around to face the consequences. Hopefully he lives through his attempt so a jury can sentence him to death anyway. Coward.

If the family did hire Salgado, would a police check have picked this up?

Both arrest and trial information are public. So, the records can be viewed by employers.

In the past, obtaining the arrest and trial records from California jurisdictions was a convoluted process (likely deliberately so) that involved going to the main Court house in person, waiting in two lines, and paying a steep "copy fee". But, you did get the full trial records.

Enter the modern era.....

There are several companies that maintain on line mega data bases for a dazzling variety of public records. These companies charge a yearly fee ($800-probably more?) for subscription. One can obtain the general arrest and Court information from them.

Small employers can also go to private detective agencies ( subscribing to one of the records providers is a must for private detectives). For a fee, they will then search the data base for arrest and trial information and print it out.

Last edited:
Do small businesses in California routinely do police checks (by form)?
I dont know.

Some small businesses probably do so routinely. Others maybe turned off by having to do the convoluted process to get free access to the records at the Court house. Still others may not like the yearly subscription fee for the private data bases or find going to private detectives to be too costly at California rates.

Last edited:
Both arrest and trial information are public. So, the records can be viewed by employers.

In the past, obtaining the arrest and trial records from California jurisdictions was a convoluted process (likely deliberately so) that involved going to the main Court house in person, waiting in two lines, and paying a steep "copy fee".

Enter the modern era.....

There are several companies that maintain mega data bases for a dazzling variety of public records. These companies charge a yearly fee ($600 or more?) for subscription. One can obtain the general arrest and Court information from them.

Small employers probably go to private detective agencies ( subscribing to one of these companies is a must for private detectives). For a fee, they will then search the data base for arrest and trial information and print it out.
I've worked in residential leasing through a HUD program that required residents to be without felonies, and in a company that used drivers with CDL licenses. In both instances, we used bonded companies who ran background checks that in both instances went back to the age of 18 for the person being screened. We paid an annual subscription fee and a charge for each person screened. It covered all 50 States and the info was returned generally within 48 hours.

ETA: In both the HUD program and working with the company who used CDL drivers, the checks were done annually on each person. Both were required for insurance guidelines.

My experience only.

Any trucking company would need to run criminal background checks and request driving records for anyone they hire for insurance and liability purposes, imo.
I dont think so- though large companies probably routinely do so.

In the end, I am guessing the only legal requirement for a trucking company is ensuring that the driver has a CDL (Commercial Driver License) and proper insurance.

If they haul hazardous material they would need to verify that the driver has the proper special certifications. Live cargo such as live stock may also require verification of additional certifications as well.

But.... as you said, some (or all) insurance companies require yearly checks for drivers. So, the full answer maybe:

- Legally background checks on CDL drivers might not be required. But.... getting insurance with out doing doing them is going to be hard.

Thus, in theory the answer as to whether back ground checks are required could be "no". In practice, however, the answer seems to be "yes".

Last edited:
How can they ask for the Death Penalty? I thought California didn’t have the DP.
Going into bad faux zen.... "Some answers have no true nature".

You are right that California does not have a death penalty in practice (State Supreme Court has permanently suspended all executions- so they are never even scheduled).

But.... California still maintains a "paper" death penalty and still sentences people to death on occasion. Actual executions, however, can not be performed in the State.

I dont think so- though large companies probably routinely do so.

In the end, I am guessing the only legal requirement for a trucking company is ensuring that the driver has a CDL (Commercial Driver License).

If they haul hazardous material they would need to verify that the driver has the proper special certifications. Live cargo such as live stock may also require verification of additional certifications as well.
We'll have to agree to disagree. In my work experience, insurance providers required annual driving record checks for CDL drivers. Certain infractions, such as a DUI or excessive speeding tickets even in a personal vehicle would make the insurance rates prohibitive or the company would flat out refuse to insure the driver while using a company vehicle. Big rigs carry a lot of liability insurance and rates can be extremely high even without putting a driver with a bad driving record in the truck.

MOO

We'll have to agree to disagree. In my work experience, insurance providers required annual driving record checks for CDL drivers.
I dont think we have to do that. We both seem to be correct.

I maybe technically correct (Employer run back ground checks are not required by law). But.... you are clearly correct in the practical sense.

The totality seems to be:

-Employer run back ground checks are not technically required by law. But, as you stated, they are required by private insurance companies.

-You need insurance to legally stay in the trucking business. So, back ground checks are required in the practical sense because you wont get insurance with out them.

Last edited:
This part is so heartbreaking…..

I just can’t comprehend WHY he had to kill them…. Just for a few dollars, which I am sure they would have given him for their lives!!!

We are always taught in a “hold up“ situation to just comply …. And not fight back …

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in hindsight should they have tried to overpower him.?? But none of us can really say what what we would do if a gun was aimed at us ….. they tried to do the right thing….

At the end of the day the wrong persons lost their lives … imo

RIP and condolences to the families… This is a tragedy …

I think that during a "hold up" give the robber what they want (wallet, purse, cell phone) but if being abducted, do everything in your power not to let the abductor take you someplace else, getting into a car, etc. But I agree, who knows how any of us would respond, the perp had a gun and he was a large guy to overpower. One or more of them could have lost their life right there and then if they tried. The victims were peaceful people, according to their relative who spoke to the media before they were found, as he made a plea on behalf of the extended family to the abductor to let his relatives go. Extremely tragic, sad, a father and mother and infant child murdered, along with the father's brother.

My thoughts right now.
Perp thought he was gonna make a big enough score to disappear and was caught offguard when the money he could get was not much
I had been thinking he shot himself but I saw above that they still have not found gun, so I do not know now how he attempted suicide
his fear of returning to prison was great
he knew if he didn't get out of town or out of the country he was toast

just random thought processing, I guess I was afraid this would happen, but didn't want to believe it. still sort of shocked.

Apologies if this has been posted. Not caught up on threads. When I read about these awful and horrific murders, cannabis came to mind. Even though it's legal in California, there are huge "turf" problems and it's more of a nightmare than ever before. Many grow and sell to dispensaries. I live in a legal state and thought I'd try it last year. Outside. I didn't tell anyone, but someone found out and watched the grow. It was stolen. I always thought cannabis was not a drug people wanted. Boy, was I wrong. I figured everyone was into stronger stuff.
I'm probably off on the wrong tangent, but from the map, I believe they live in growing country. Or, someone thought they were transporting goods that overlapped with them. It's very puzzling.

Edit to add: Perhaps a group of people were trying to convince them to ship goods and the trucking company said: absolutely no way. That's illegal.

Last edited:
None of this makes any sense at all if he was a total stranger to them. Why take them to a second location, why not just kill them in the store? Why did he leave without the mother and baby and then turn around and come back for them? Why kill the baby, she couldn't have identified him. Why kill them all in order to leave no witnesses but then be so sloppy with the cameras and ATM card so you can be easily tracked? If the motive was robbery, why kill an entire family? They would have just given him the ATM card!

It's all just so baffling and disgusting and so deeply sad there aren't words. The poor baby. That poor family. My heart just breaks for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back