CA CA - Alameda,Hisp/Asian Male, UP17616 Pre 40, hanging in public restroom, Jun 94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Warning PM

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number1994-01492
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityUncertain
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 40
Estimated Age Range (Years)--
Estimated Year of Death1994
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 8"(68 inches) , Measured
Weight142 lbs, Measured
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundJune 9, 1994
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 21, 2018
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
General Location--Alameda, California
CountyAlameda County
GPS Coordinates--
Circumstances of RecoveryAsian or possibly Hispanic male found hanging in the public restroom at Crown Memorial Beach in Alameda. He was transported to Alameda Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptionshort hair, about 3 inches long
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Descriptionnone
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
Carton of Camel brand "Ultra Lights" cigarettes Zippo Lighter might be inscribed with U.S.S. Berkeley Ray Ban dark glasses
Near the Body

Clothing
1. Red T-shirt with the words "Yosemite Area Council, Cub scout Day Camp"and a logo of Yosemite Sam w/ BSA logo on his chest. Size XL46 2. Blue Levi Strauss 505 jeans Waist 30" inseam 30", Made in Mexico 3.'Flyers Man' Intermediate reversible Blue/Orange nylon jacket, size small.
On the Body

Footwear
4. Fila walking boots, lace high top size 7.5 5. yellow cotton socks- Polo
On the Body

Jewelry
White metal watch Tag Heuer brand, Professional 3000 ( 200 meters)
On the Body

1668927020293.png
I think his shirt looked something like this. Edit: I just noticed the photo of his shirt on NAMUS. I can't seem to find one like it. Maybe handmade/screenprinted?

Last edited:
Alameda is where I grew up. This is very sad. Here is a map showing Robert Crown Memorial State Beach.

The zippo lighter possibly inscribed U.S.S. Berkeley caught my eye. I wonder if this young man had been in the Navy and served on this ship. Here is some history. It was active until 1991.

Here is a list of commanding officers. The final three on the list were in command in the late 1980’s to 1991 and would probably be alive today. They might recognize this young man…a long shot, I know.

I was thinking the same thing..surely this angle has been looked into with it being most logical due to his top.
I feel that he is very young, looking at the PM photo unless it’s just the quality, but to me he looks way below 40
My guess would be 22-24. Honestly I don't think the scout shirt is a real clue, I think it's probably just thrifted. I think ironic shirts like that were popular in the 90s.

@victoriarobinson642 thank you so much for your reconstruction, it looks amazing.

Does anybody else think he looks like he could be black/asian mixed race?

Yes. I was going to say Black/Filipino for some reason.

The Alameda Naval Air Station was a real melting pot. It wouldn’t be unusual for a black sailor to have an Asian/Filipino wife. Depending on how old this young man is, he could either have been in the military himself (see U.S.S Berkeley post) or have spent time in Alameda as a youth if his Dad was stationed there. If they had lived on or near the base as a teen, he would have gone to Encinal High School. It’s not all that far from Robert Crown Beach where he died.

The student body is 23% African-American, 20% White non-Hispanic, 39% Asian, 15% Hispanic or Latino, 1% American Indian or Alaskan Native, 1% Pacific Islander, and 1% multiple ethnicity or no response, according to the California Department of Education, for the 2005-2006 school year.[3]

The NAS closed in 1997.

Yes. I was going to say Black/Filipino for some reason.

The Alameda Naval Air Station was a real melting pot. It wouldn’t be unusual for a black sailor to have an Asian/Filipino wife. Depending on how old this young man is, he could either have been in the military himself (see U.S.S Berkeley post) or have spent time in Alameda as a youth if his Dad was stationed there. If they had lived on or near the base as a teen, he would have gone to Encinal High School. It’s not all that far from Robert Crown Beach where he died.

The student body is 23% African-American, 20% White non-Hispanic, 39% Asian, 15% Hispanic or Latino, 1% American Indian or Alaskan Native, 1% Pacific Islander, and 1% multiple ethnicity or no response, according to the California Department of Education, for the 2005-2006 school year.[3]

The NAS closed in 1997.

Wow, this is great research. I wish we had a more narrow age range to work with. What age would you say for him? I don't think he was younger than 18, but I can maybe see him being 19. I wonder if they still have DNA on file for him.

Again I’m prob saying what has surely already been looked into, but his watch being a tag heur and certainly by no means cheap, surely the manufacture and selling details have been looked into and traced by investigators I’m assuming

Wow, this is great research. I wish we had a more narrow age range to work with. What age would you say for him? I don't think he was younger than 18, but I can maybe see him being 19. I wonder if they still have DNA on file for him.

I’m terrible with figuring ages now because I’m old. :-) I would guess 18-30. If he’s partly Asian he would look younger than his age IMO. He’s so exotic looking and handsome. Surely someone would recognize him from this reconstruction. Hmmmmm Encinal Highschool yearbooks? Work backwards from 1994? Just a wild thought.

He looks like this man, especially the lips. Problem is this MP has an amputated tow.

Alexander suffers from mental health conditions which could have led to his disappearance.
Description: Asian male of Filipino and Irish decent, 5’9”, brown hair and sunken deep green eyes. His 2nd toe on his right foot was amputated in an accident.

1669026695396.png

Santana Ornelas Jr. – The Charley Project
Sadly all very vague pictures of him. I have doubts about his eyebrows. Would have been approx. 28 in '94.

Ornelas was last seen in Novato, California on April 1, 1990. He packed his belongings, left home and has never been heard from again.

Ornelas charged with robbery in 1989, while he was a student at Marin Junior College. He missed a court date after his disappearance and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Authorities thought at the time that he was hiding in the Colfax, California area.

Ornelas is no longer wanted for any crimes, as the statute of limitations has run out. His family is anxious to find him because his father needs a kidney transplant and they think Ornelas could be a match. He may be living under a new name and Social Security number. His case remains unsolved.

1669030923942.png

Reactions: nao
I have a question about John Doe's skin. It looks like he has some ultra pigmented parts in his face, or a clustering of freckles (forehead, cheekbones). Sorry, don't know how to describe this in a better way. Or could this been some Post Mortem reaction or related to the way he died?

One more. Paul Henry Munoz

Name: Paul Henry Munoz
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: September 3, 1992
Location Last Seen: Santa Monica, Los Angeles County, California

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: September 1, 1971
Race: Asian/Filipino
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Nickname/Alias: Paul Henry Cruz Munoz
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wears contacts, Mole under his nose

Identifiers​

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

He seems to have a mole under his nose, but sorry I can't see that very clear. Again, no sharp pictures. John Doe seems to have some discoloration under the left side of his nose, but it's hard to tell.

1669031747573.png

Again I’m prob saying what has surely already been looked into, but his watch being a tag heur and certainly by no means cheap, surely the manufacture and selling details have been looked into and traced by investigators I’m assuming
You'd be surprised what hasn't looking into. Detectives can't do an investigation into every UID for budget reason, they only do an investigation if certain factors are present. A suicide would probably be considered a low priority.

I have a question about John Doe's skin. It looks like he has some ultra pigmented parts in his face, or a clustering of freckles (forehead, cheekbones). Sorry, don't know how to describe this in a better way. Or could this been some Post Mortem reaction or related to the way he died?
I assume it probably comes from hanging himself, which is quite a traumatic way to go really.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roiana
Back