CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to think of all possible scenarios and I don't think this is one that has been raised....what if Barb left of her own accord after a bit of a spat and walked off in a huff figuring "this is the last straw"; sees a car driving up the road and flags it down.

Perhaps Bob was in denial that Barb wanted to leave him and left the 'argument' scenario out of the story to LE, thereby coming across as deceptive.

The key problem here is that if she took that ride voluntarily, then where is she? And why hasn't she, or the driver, spoken up?
I've been thinking the very same scenario but didn't put it into words. I'm wondering if she was going to stay in Hong Kong and not going back to him.

They could have started the generator and AC before they went on their hike.
Very true... everyone is different. We have pulled over several times to explore new areas while camping, but we never turned the camper on because we weren’t rigging up in those spots. That doesn’t at all mean this couple didn’t. I truly want to believe this man because I would be absolutely devastated in his position!

In order to arrive in that area from their hometown of Bullhead City AZ, wouldn't Interstate 40 be the most direct and easiest way to pull a trailer out there? I'd think there'd be cellphone service along that major highway. Hopefully, like you suggest, they are checking a timeline on both phones.

FWIW I've lost cell phone service on I-5 between Seattle and Vancouver BC. And that was with T-Mobile which is based just outside Seattle.

If she had taken “a 360 picture that morning from on top of a hill” (per dbdb11’s post) what device did the police find this photo on?

It’s reported she is without a cell phone on her person. She must have snapped the photo, then put the cell phone or camera in the pack her husband was carrying, then?

I’m not savvy on photography, but RT wouldn’t necessarily be in such a photo, is that correct? (Another poster was asking this, so just wondering.) If taken on top of a hill, it was probably to capture the view seen afar and below the hill, I’d imagine.

to clarify the brothers are estranged. barb and my father have always been on great terms. my father and his brother have not. i am unsure of barbs relationship with her other brother.

there is something i just learned and i feel is relevant. nobody informed barbs son, and barb and her son, though living far apart, were not at all estranged. im stunned robbie or his fam would not have reached out to barbs son.

barbs son is from a much older relationship, no relationship to robbie. as i understand he learned about all this from the police, who found his number on her phone... i have not verified this.with her son and am trying to get hold of him.

agree with others about police silence. confused generally over here.

my sister was.present when robbie called my father, and heard the convo on speaker. ive asked her to write down what she remembers... will share shortly

edit: on cell phone again.... cant bother with punctuation etc on these tiny buttons. sorry
Thank you for the information. I'm relieved that LE has her phone. Maybe it will help them with the investigation and search.

29 pages into this thread and I'm still confused as to why'd you be drinking beer while hiking through a desert with 100+ degree temperatures, jmo.

Do we know who first described their activity as hiking? I've seen a lot of posts questioning her attire and beverage choice. If they were truly hiking, then yeah, I would expect her to be carrying water and wearing a t-shirt or something. But if they wanted to go for a short walk and look for rocks and things to take pictures of, then I can see wearing a bikini top and sipping a cold one. Did her husband say they were "hiking," or is it just because she was wearing hiking boots?

True, but if he was calling other family members then wouldn't you have gotten the son's phone number from them? I'm sure most people in the family would agree that her son would like to know she's missing. Though perhaps he did and nobody in the entire family had his number. It's hard to say either way since we don't know what the family dynamic is like. JMO.
But he had her phone, he could have called her son from her phone. Surely her son is on her contact list.

If she had taken “a 360 picture that morning from on top of a hill” (per dbdb11’s post) what device did the police find this photo on?

It’s reported she is without a cell phone on her person. She must have snapped the photo, then put the cell phone or camera in the pack her husband was carrying, then?

I’m not savvy on photography, but RT wouldn’t necessarily be in such a photo, is that correct? (Another poster was asking this, so just wondering.) If taken on top of a hill, it was probably to capture the view seen afar and below the hill, I’d imagine.

I'm the person who asked if he is in the photo.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything if he isn't in the 360 photo but if he IS in the photo, that confirms Barbara took the photo and they were together at the time. If he's not in the photo, it could mean he took the photo himself (but, yes, I am aware it doesn't necessarily mean that) and could mean she wasn't there.

jmo

FWIW I've lost cell phone service on I-5 between Seattle and Vancouver BC. And that was with T-Mobile which is based just outside Seattle.
I've been on that road as well in Washington and BC, and it's fairly twisty and mountainous in places if I recall correctly. Thinking maybe I 40 would have more reception since it's a bit flatter and wide open. Cell phone towers usually show up more often on major interstates. Who knows though? Probably some spots great and some not so great.

You know, though, if he were involved in her being missing (I"m leaning towards not for now), he could have brought her phone along and that would appear as if she were traveling with him from BHC to Kelbaker Road exit.

Do we know who first described their activity as hiking? I've seen a lot of posts questioning her attire and beverage choice. If they were truly hiking, then yeah, I would expect her to be carrying water and wearing a t-shirt or something. But if they wanted to go for a short walk and look for rocks and things to take pictures of, then I can see wearing a bikini top and sipping a cold one. Did her husband say they were "hiking," or is it just because she was wearing hiking boots?
I get the impression that the media turned it into a hike, when it was really just a walk. From yesterday: “Robert says they had taken a short trip in their camper when they decided to pull up and go for a 2-mile walk to explore rock formations. They took a pack, beer and a gallon of water, and Barbara was wearing a bikini, hiking boots with black socks, and a red-and-white baseball cap.” Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'

Perhaps it was more of a “go look for rocks” see what we can find, enjoy nature, casual walk. Pour a cold adult beverage in your yeti/artic cup and go out exploring for a bit.
Not planning on being out all day.

I’ve had an adult beverage when out fishing in the middle of nowhere when the temp was 95 and realfeel was 105. Always had water too.

But he had her phone, he could have called her son from her phone. Surely her son is on her contact list.
Did he have her phone out where they were camping? Or was it left in Bullhead at their home?

Perhaps it was more of a “go look for rocks” see what we can find, enjoy nature, casual walk. Pour a cold adult beverage in your yeti/artic cup and go out exploring for a bit.
Not planning on being out all day.

I’ve had an adult beverage when out fishing in the middle of nowhere when the temp was 95 and realfeel was 105. Always had water too.
Of all the details that stand out to me as strange, the beer isn't one of them. I've been on plenty of road-trip stops where passengers drink a beer while we wander around for a few minutes, stretching our legs, etc. :) In fact, I can picture my mother-in-law in a bikini top and hiking boots grabbing a beer if we stopped along the roadside.

jmo

I'm not so bothered that RT didn't call her son right away. Assuming all he has said is true, if I were in his shoes I would wait a while first to see if LE could find her. Then, if night began to fall with no luck, I would probably call.

I get the impression that the media turned it into a hike, when it was really just a walk. From yesterday: “Robert says they had taken a short trip in their camper when they decided to pull up and go for a 2-mile walk to explore rock formations. They took a pack, beer and a gallon of water, and Barbara was wearing a bikini, hiking boots with black socks, and a red-and-white baseball cap.” Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
I'm stuck on the last seen clothing description. I'm fairly certain she had shorts on, not just bikini bottoms. Why is this part of her clothing description being left out? Really bugs me. <modsnip - Facebook rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member