CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my understanding ..
Bikini Top ... She had on shorts socks and boots as well as a baseball cap..

If I am wrong please let me know.
Thanks

We’ve never actually heard that she was wearing bikini top and shorts, rather than a bikini. The LE and SAR quotes have always just said ‘bikini.’

I admit that I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right, and it was a top and shorts, but no one’s said that. (Other than speculation here, of the sort I just did.)

I suspect that contacting David Lohr for help is futile. According to his Twitter he, and many others were laid off by HuffPo back in January.

Twitter

He claims to be in dire straits financially and has a fundraising account that I think may be a joke, but maybe partly true.

Welcome to WS, fallingup13!

I agree that it seems odd to many people, but we’ve already heard from her nephew, Verified Insider @dbdb11, saying that it was the sort of thing she’d do. And we’ve had a number of desert rats, (a loving title,) chime in and say that it’s what they or their friends would do. So, after hearing that, I’m not fretting about the bikini. I know enough about the desert to definitely not fret about the hiking boots.
Agree; this is an outfit (bikini top, shorts, and hiking boots) I've seen (and used to wear) many times when hiking in and around our local southern CA mountains and deserts... Not unusual at all, and no conclusions to be drawn from it...

We’ve never actually heard that she was wearing bikini top and shorts, rather than a bikini. The LE and SAR quotes have always just said ‘bikini.’

I admit that I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right, and it was a top and shorts, but no one’s said that. (Other than speculation here, of the sort I just did.)
It's impossible to be sure, as it seems to be a matter of terminology. Some people do use the word 'bikini' to refer to a bikini top, and that may be what's going on here.

Agree; this is an outfit (bikini top, shorts, and hiking boots) I've seen (and used to wear) many times when hiking in and around our local southern CA mountains and deserts... Not unusual at all, and no conclusions to be drawn from it...
How about a reporter from Victorville Or Mohave Valley Daily News?

Sorry on my phone quoted wrong post

Sadly her husband is still foremost in my mind as the reason she's missing....

HOWEVER: if she liked to meander about, and it sounds like this was a casual outing, a short walk, take some pics - she's walking @ with a beer in her hand - I could see her finding something of interest: a plant, a rock, simply a desire to walk out on the rocks. She could have been bitten by a snake or scorpion, or fell & hit her head & become unconscious.

Her husband could have passed by where she was laying, unseen.

She could have awoken & been seriously disoriented - head injury, possible snake bite, any other kind of medical situation on top of this - stroke, heart attack.....
Point being she may have then wandered very very far from where they were initially & went in the entirely wrong direction.

Now, I would think, though that Search/Rescue, dogs, etc. would have been able to pick up a lead.....?

The key thing here is to find Barbara. If anyone has suggestions on how to get on that track, can offer this story to investigative journalists, for example. Or other independent investigators, those actions would would be a REALLY big help.

If the right people start looking into this we could make progress outside of whatever investigation the police are doing. There are a lot of highly competent people here on these forums and there are a lot who know and are in contact with other extremely qualified investigators. Please ask them what they think about this case.

Thank you all again. Please spread the word and help find Barbara.
I suggest calling the FBI. Also get the flyer out to everyone in the area - in this case, everywhere in her hometown and in all the neighboring communities. There's a poster on the board (ETA @chihuahua, I think) who can spread the word to the trucking community as well. Somebody, somewhere may have seen something. MOO

Sadly her husband is still foremost in my mind as the reason she's missing....

HOWEVER: if she liked to meander about, and it sounds like this was a casual outing, a short walk, take some pics - she's walking @ with a beer in her hand - I could see her finding something of interest: a plant, a rock, simply a desire to walk out on the rocks. She could have been bitten by a snake or scorpion, or fell & hit her head & become unconscious.

Her husband could have passed by where she was laying, unseen.

She could have awoken & been seriously disoriented - head injury, possible snake bite, any other kind of medical situation on top of this - stroke, heart attack.....
Point being she may have then wandered very very far from where they were initially & went in the entirely wrong direction.

Now, I would think, though that Search/Rescue, dogs, etc. would have been able to pick up a lead.....?

My impression is that dogs are very apt to lose the trail when it’s hot.

Sorry if this is dumb but I don’t understand what sbm and bbm mean on this site. I see them used quite often. I tried googling it but a bunch of unrelated definitions came up.

Not dumb at all. It's explained here:

Websleuths Lingo

BBM means "bolded by me" when quoting someone. I don't know what sbm means.

Why in the world would the San Bernardino Sheriff do a "follow up" at around 5 A.M. on the 26th? Perhaps before the hot weather which is understandable I supppose.

They could have left something behind. BUT, I think most likely they started reports and realized some measurement or some evidence tag had been overlooked. Also, it gives a presence out there and you know that some of the searchers want one more chance or remembered one more thing, themselves.

If I were on that search and close enough to go back, I would have to go back again and again.

I suspect that contacting David Lohr for help is futile. According to his Twitter he, and many others were laid off by HuffPo back in January.

Twitter

He claims to be in dire straits financially and has a fundraising account that I think may be a joke, but maybe partly true.

This is most unfortunate :( I noticed he hasn't been on WS since January 2019 as well.

My impression is that dogs are very apt to lose the trail when it’s hot.

Yes, and people too.
About a year ago a Dutch guy went missing in some remote area, he was with his friends camping. They went to buy water, but he found it too hot, said he would walk back to the tent.
It was a huge case, many searchers, dog teams, the whole area and beyond was searched.
And in the end he was found just there, a mile away from the tent, not far from where he was last seen. Had been there the entire time.

Hi again, thanks for continuing to pursue this! We still have no answers. From what I understand, he searched for quite a while to even find her family members' phone numbers (I'm figuring since he had phones/computer confiscated). He also didn't want to add chaos to an already difficult situation with her brother's failing health. I believe he was hoping she would be found quickly. @dbdb11 This is what I heard on my end...does that sound right to you?
That's right. I'd assume he was out of touch for a bit due to the investigation, and also heard he did not want to burden my father with bad news when there was a chance she could be found. I never asked Rob why he didn't tell Matt.

"The husband of a 69-year-old woman who vanished during a desert hike is pleading for her safe return.

Barbara Thomas, a grandmother from Bullhead City, Arizona, was wearing a bikini top and had no supplies or cellphone when her husband says they became separated in 90-degree heat in the Mojave Desert on July 12."

"Robert says they had taken a short trip in their camper when they decided to pull up and go for a 2-mile walk to explore rock formations. They took a pack, beer and a gallon of water, and Barbara was wearing a bikini, hiking boots with black socks, and a red-and-white baseball cap."

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'

I believe this is where I arrived at a bikini top and shorts ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members