CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe under websleuths TOS, RT is a victim.
Barbara is the victim..
We are treating Robert as if he is... because all of us have lost our spouse at one time or another...
So it is just a kind thing to do...
And it is the rule of the house... He has not been named a POI by LE

Here is temperature data from one weather website for the day BT went missing that shows it was hottest mid- to late afternoon. RT called 911 at 3:26 pm after saying he looked for BT for about an hour, so it was getting to be the hottest time of day when LE was called. However, IMO, there's not much incremental difference between it being 96 degrees at 2:30 pm when he says he lost sight of her, and the high of 98 or 99 degrees an hour or so later when he called 911 (2-3 degrees difference over a few hours isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, relatively speaking, in terms of being active in the heat). MOO

View attachment 204840
Bakersfield, CA History | Weather Underground

Bakersfield is quite far from where they were hiking, nearly 300 miles away. When I tried to look up the weather in the Mojave Desert, I also got the same result as you (Meadows Station) but I do want to point Temps in various regions of california do vary wildly so this might not be the best representation of what it was like in the area they were hiking.

San Bernardino, CA History | Weather Underground

Palm Springs, CA History | Weather Underground

Here are 2 other stations about the same distance (these are ~200 miles). The Palm Springs station shows temps of 114 at that time.

Your main point still stands that the temperatures are pretty stable during that period of time, but just wanted to point out that it was most likely quite hotter where they were compared to what your link is reporting. Very interesting idea you had to check this out. Perhaps someone more knowledgable about climate/weather in these regions could help determine which weather station would best represent the area they were hiking. I'd imagine elevation adds another variable there so it might be kind of hard to get a good idea of what temperatures were really like there. There doesn't seem to be any close stations and a lot of websites just pull a "nearby" one at random. This site uses data from McCarran airport in Las Vegas for the mojave desert, so it seems like the data for this area is pretty limited and different sites are pulling from stations all over the place. Weather in July 2019 in Mojave Desert, California, USA

Also, I know other posters have mentioned putting in drone requests. I wonder if it would be possible/useful to do something like Matthew Weaver's family did (CA - CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018) They had a drone take high definition photos of a very large area surrounding where he went missing and posted them online for the public to help look for any signs of him, offering a $20,000 reward to anyone who found information that led to finding his body. So far, he hasn't been located but people were able to find his hat and shirt from the photos and those items were recovered. Perhaps something like that could be done for a large cover of any area Barbara could possibly be in.

I've kept up with this thread on a nearly daily basis since BT went missing, as have so many of you all. I'm confident there are many of us here who wouldn't mind devoting a good chunk of time reviewing photos to help find Barbara with no reward money necessary.

I know the VI is taking a break and has a lot going on but maybe when he's back he could have his family contact the PI for Matthew Weaver's case to get the information of whatever company/individual took these drone photos.

Curious: does RT believe BT is deceased?
Partial QUOTE from 10ofRods
"frontal lobe dementia (new memories not forming well, old memories intact, bad at estimating time, poor at recounting events chronologically, using tech that was once familiar, no new tech, irritable when new situations arise)."
Anything is Possible .. ? He really could be a Victim of this...
Look at his actions in words, which are Fact as we all witnessed him speak ..

Last edited:
Also, I know other posters have mentioned putting in drone requests. I wonder if it would be possible/useful to do something like Matthew Weaver's family did (CA - CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018) They had a drone take high definition photos of a very large area surrounding where he went missing and posted them online for the public to help look for any signs of him, offering a $20,000 reward to anyone who found information that led to finding his body. So far, he hasn't been located but people were able to find his hat and shirt from the photos and those items were recovered. Perhaps something like that could be done for a large cover of any area Barbara could possibly be in.

I've kept up with this thread on a nearly daily basis since BT went missing, as have so many of you all. I'm confident there are many of us here who wouldn't mind devoting a good chunk of time reviewing photos to help find Barbara with no reward money necessary.

I know the VI is taking a break and has a lot going on but maybe when he's back he could have his family contact the PI for Matthew Weaver's case to get the information of whatever company/individual took these drone photos.
I think the drone idea is brilliant and very possible. Although we haven't heard from our VI lately, I am certain that he and his family will not give up on finding their beloved Barb, and neither will us Websleuthers.

In addition to the drones, there are volunteer search groups that might be willing to help. The temperatures should drop around mid-October, and that is only a month away. The biggest problem is identifying the best areas to search. MOO

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dronel...earch-and-rescue-mission-at-amboy-crater/amp/

Correction - the VI spoke to two workers at the Kennel. One said Barbara was fine, the other said she was not her normal self.

While some people said this at one point in this long series of threads, the VI did not say he spoke with two people at the kennel. IIRC, the two observations that were referenced appear to involve (1) BT's conversation with the person at the kennel and (2) BT when she and RT left to go on their trip -- I think that was reported by a neighbor but I don't know whether it was on surveillance video or a direct observation. In any event, in that other observation, I don't think mention was made of BT looking upset. JMO

The best weather station (with regular data and approximately same altitude as most of Mojave NP) is probably Baker, CA. Hottest time of the day is typically 4-6, with a gradual rise up to the hot temp and then a pretty steep cool-off. It never got cold on July 12, at night, only down to around mid-80’s.

If I were organizing a search, I’d use the RV parking spot as the center and try for a 2 mile axis in each direction - but that’s 16 square miles, so perhaps slightly less in the easterly direction. If any search group could have access to the photos that RT took in the area (so as to pinpoint their farthest point from the car), that would help immensely (can’t imagine footing the expensive of a trained drone search without that).

Some people find it very hard to admit they are wrong or in any way responsible for anything negative. Just saying. Oh, and that SAR resources say that drones and dogs are both far less successful than human boots on the ground. However, a cadaver dog search would be warranted (but the area is pretty large, would be a multi-day operation).

I think it was RT's idea to go on this excursion into the remote desert in July in their new RV at that time (the week before she was going overseas), and he pushed it onto BT, and it was an inconvenience for her and she wasn't thrilled about it. It doesn't matter, IMO, if they had done something similar in the past, or they were 'desert rats' or used to going out in the heat looking at rocks or collecting things or RV camping, with or without beer, cell phones, etc.

She was about to leave on a trip overseas to be with her ailing brother. She didn't seem to be in a favorable mindset about leaving her dog at the kennel. I wouldn't be either if I knew I was about to leave her for my trip overseas, I'd be wanting to spend as much time as I could with my dog before I left (especially if my husband didn't care for her like I did), and be packing and readying things, not going camping in the desert who knows how far from home for who knows how long.

Even with a new truck and RV, and even with their purported experience taking trips in the desert, it is still an effort to pack up food, clothing, supplies, fuel, arrange for the dog to be cared for, find a camping spot that suited their needs, etc. And they are an older couple, so it would be even more taxing for them to undertake such an endeavor compared to people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and right before she had a long trip planned overseas to be with her ailing brother she was close to, that would also be emotionally taxing for her, IMO.

Then she just vanished while they were out walking, according to her husband, and she has never been seen or heard from since.

Her husband called her ailing brother within a few days and said she wasn't going to be able to make the trip overseas to be with him while he was in the hospital because she was missing. He never called his wife's only child (her son MS) to tell him. He hasn't been back in touch with her brother and family since the first few weeks after she went missing on July 12th, according to our VI. And her own family thinks there is foul play involved in her disappearance.

For lack of better terms and with no updates from LE since the search where RT said she went missing was 'suspended' the third week of July, I believe the circumstances surrounding her disappearance are unusual at best, and highly suspicious at worst. IMO and MOO. Hoping for some new information from LE's investigation this week regarding Barbara's whereabouts.
I agree with your very well written and logical perspective! Makes sense to me!

Based on my “expert” knowledge (from watching “Web of Lies”) I’d say that LE might have wanted to see any video available of RT/BT in case something looked wrong. For example, did they appear to be arguing. And perhaps they wanted to verify any purchases RT may have made. I know a gas station won’t have the same stock as WalMart but who knows? Knives, cord, trash bags?
Its also part of a thorough investigation to check out everything no matter what. Otherwise a defense attorney could claim LE was biased or negligent...JMO

Thanks for making me laugh out loud this morning @Lilibet !! still chuckling, but really really hoping for a break in Barbara’s case

I’m glad you got a chuckle @firstsleuth. :) It was one of those “I can’t resist saying this” comments. But yes, there needs to be a break for Barbara and her loved ones. I’m confident that LE is giving it their best shot.

here is the post about the photos (I was actually looking for something else :))
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6
BBM
LE said they have photos of Barb on the 12th, and they do believe Barb was there. LE have not shared much else with me.

As far as I know LE have NOT released any photos from that day. I don't know why they haven't, but at this point, like you @Micheline, i dont think it matters.

LE have the photos, as well as bodycam footage on the day. They have roberts initial statements and they scoured the surrounding area for ten days.

whether she was wearing bikini or underwear.... irrelevant to me. hat color also of little consequence to me. There may be very talented sleuths here who can make a lot out of those details.

i didnt even think to ask the kennel what she was wearing. i am looking for motive, including backstory. because, imo, Barbara could not have gotten lost where robbie claims they were, and she could not have been abducted without robert knowing, based on his own accounts.

my own opinion.

somebody has been lying to me about what happened on july 12th.

While some people said this at one point in this long series of threads, the VI did not say he spoke with two people at the kennel. IIRC, the two observations that were referenced appear to involve (1) BT's conversation with the person at the kennel and (2) BT when she and RT left to go on their trip -- I think that was reported by a neighbor but I don't know whether it was on surveillance video or a direct observation. In any event, in that other observation, I don't think mention was made of BT looking upset. JMO
I am reading it that he did indeed speak to two sources at the kennel:
chihuahua said: ↑

As to why B "appeared" to 2 sources as aggravated, not herself that morning. I tend to think something was going on between her and RT. Have zero idea what. Could have been gambling by RT? Or just the thought of making this trip when she was due in Hong Kong so soon after. As in, was it sudden on RT's part to suggest it?
I realize it's been stated they did this kind of thing regularly. It was so hot that day!

I would expect other family members etc to begin to make pleas for B to come home. And yes, why isn't RT making a public plea? Most likely because his lawyer has instructed him not to.
If he, "they", are frantic, imo the best thing to do would be to plaster her flyers and info everywhere between their home and the spot he claims she went missing from.
Why would he be relying on others to do so?
Just thinking, and maybe there was substance abuse, like too much alcohol, involved? And/or early signs of dementia?
jmo and saddened
Chi
----

[about the dog kennel boarding]

just to clarify, one source expressed she was visibly aggravated, and not her usual friendly self. the other expressed nothing unusual or out of the ordinary.

dbdb11, Aug 8, 2019

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

IIRC, I think it was the VI who posted on these threads that Barbara had been added as an active search with the SWARM drone organization. Was Matthew Weaver’s search performed by SWARM? If not, perhaps let the VI know there are other organizations.

Here is SWARM’s link to Barbara’s search:
https://sardrones.org/2019/08/01/missing-person-in-mojave-desert/

Based on my “expert” knowledge (from watching “Web of Lies”) I’d say that LE might have wanted to see any video available of RT/BT in case something looked wrong. For example, did they appear to be arguing. And perhaps they wanted to verify any purchases RT may have made. I know a gas station won’t have the same stock as WalMart but who knows? Knives, cord, trash bags?
I'm thinking they wanted to use their superior equipment to try to establish whether BT was in the truck with him at that time. I wouldn't be surprised if LE also asked neighboring venues for their video footage for same reason. jmo.

RSBM for focus
The best weather station (with regular data and approximately same altitude as most of Mojave NP) is probably Baker, CA...

IIRC, Another Websleuths member posted detailed temps from Kelso, ID by mistake. My apologies for not being able to find the post...but I remember subsequently looking up the temperature from July 12, 2019 in Kelso, CA from this link:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/kelso/92309/july-weather/342460?year=2019
Today, if you follow that link and look at July 12th, the high was 109 and the low was 83. Kelso, CA is 16 miles from the intersection of Kelbaker and Hidden Hills Rd near the Kelso Dunes visitor center according to my google maps. I’m not sure how this site gets their weather data or how accurate it is, and I’m not sure how much of an altitude change there is in those 16 miles

ETA: @10ofRods Baker is not very far from Kelso; 51 miles from the intersection of HH and Kelbaker...I’m off to compare temperatures!
Baker’s reported temperatures were the same as Kelso, CA 109 high; 83 low

The 109 high is much hotter than I’ve been thinking since thread 1

IMO: not logical for experienced desert hikers to be out there at 2pm.

Last edited:
I am reading it that he did indeed speak to two sources at the kennel:

----

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Though I agree that @dbdb11's reply to that comment is ambiguous, I still don't think that both sources were at the kennel. Here's another post in which he discusses the kennel but doesn't say that different people there had different impressions of BT:

Maybe when he returns, @dbdb11 can clarify this.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member