Identified! CA - Berkeley, Human skeletal remains found @ UC Berkeley in a building abandoned for years, 13 Jan 2023 - Steven Lawrence McCreary

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

HmmMysterious

Reaction score
A human skeleton was found on January 10th, 2023 in a building which has been abandoned for many years at the Clark Kerr Campus of the University of California, Berkeley. The post-mortem interval and the cause of death are unknown at this time. There are no outstanding cases of missing individuals from the university.

Source: From Avinash Kunnath on Twitter (I'm not a UC Berkeley student).

UC Berekeley Doe.jpg

Again, depending on when the building was abandoned here are some other options. Lynn would be the oldest on the list:

January 3, 1984 - Jitsuro D Hiramoto - Little is known about his disappearance and his last known whereabouts. His thread implies that his disappearance may have been voluntary.

His websleuths thread

October 31, 1989 - Wendy Jamie Abrams-Nishikai is also went missing out of Berkley and could be a match. She was a Cal student at the time of her disappearance. Very little is known about her movements. However, I and several others think she may be another Jane Doe found in Placer County in 1990.

Her websleuths thread

October 8, 1990 - William Webster Wells - Last seen in Berkley, little is known about his disappearance.

August 28, 1995 - Peter John McCall - Last seen leaving the Alameda neighborhood walking south towards Telegraph Ave. The circumstances of his disappearance are unclear, but his sister does a good job of trying to recall what she knows on his thread. The Alameda is about a ~10-15 minute drive to campus

His websleuths thread

January 3, 1999 - Boaz Zino - last seen in Oakland, claimed he was going to see family in San Francisco. He had been in basic training at Fort Sill, OK and was returning for holiday break. He may have been seen in a Oakland homeless shelter in 2001, and may have stayed at a homeless shelter in Berkeley.

His websleuths thread

October 1, 2005 - Heather Bloom - Last known location is living with her sister at 1612 Parker Street, Berkeley in 2005. Her sister moved out in 2007. She has down syndrome and requires constant medication. Her apartment was a 7 minute drive to campus.

Her websleuths thread

Last edited:
A linked article states that demolition had started on these buildings.

But -- during a housing crisis, buildings designed for housing are shuttered & sit empty???

Shaking my head.

(My step-brother graduated from Cal Berkley, so actually I'm not shaking my head very much.)

RIP, unidentified person!

I happened upon this news story yesterday and nearly fell out of my chair. My boyfriend attends Cal and lived in Clark Kerr campus his first year. He and his buddies used to hang out around that building. I've parked my car there. Here's what I found:

The building in question is #21. It's being partially demolished to build a beach volleyball complex—I assume the site was being surveyed when the skeleton was found (JMO). Building #21 has been vacant since 1979 but was occasionally used for storage. One of its wings was demolished in 1985, and I would guess the rest of the building was surveyed at the time for safety/structural integrity. In any case, the remains could not have been there before 1979, and IMO were likely there 1985 or later.

Info about the current volleyball project confirming how long the building has been abandoned.

East Bay, I always think of Ilene Misheloff. Dublin is about 30 minutes from Berkeley.

I consider Ilene an unlikely candidate. It would be a little unusual for an abductor to break into a building in area with heavy foot traffic in order to dispose of a body.

This could be a homeless person or a runaway who OD'd. It could even be someone who committed suicide. If it's a murder victim, then it is more likely to be somebody who was either taken into the building and killed or killed very close to campus. In the latter case, the building would have been chosen as the first convenient spot that occurred to the killer.

I haven't seen anything about where the skeleton was found. Was it on a mattress as if the person died in his or her sleep? Was it locked in a closet with bindings on the wrists? Was it inside some ductwork, in which case it could have been someone who was trying to break in and got stuck? Was the skeleton clothed?

I presume that more details will be forthcoming shortly. If the decedent can't be identified right away, one hopes that investigators will at least be able to determine the sex, the approximate age, and the approximate post-mortem interval.

October 1, 2005 - Heather Bloom - Last known location is living with her sister at 1612 Parker Street, Berkeley in 2005. Her sister moved out in 2007. She has down syndrome and requires constant medication. Her apartment was a 7 minute drive to campus.

Her websleuths thread
Without knowing anything more (including the sex of the decedent), Heather Bloom would be my first guess out of the possibilities listed. For one thing, I lean towards a more recent decedent rather than an earlier one.

A linked article states that demolition had started on these buildings.

But -- during a housing crisis, buildings designed for housing are shuttered & sit empty???

Shaking my head.

(My step-brother graduated from Cal Berkley, so actually I'm not shaking my head very much.)

RIP, unidentified person!
Demolished buildings are usually those that for whatever reason aren't suitable for human habitation, whether due to black mold, asbestos, insufficient utilities, etc.

I grew up in Berkeley and as high schoolers we hung out at those creepy old buildings.
Wendy Abrams was a friend in my neighborhood. None of us think she walked away from her family; after all these years, I'm kind of hoping it's her (though there is another UID who folks think this could be, and I tend to agree & really hope they will have an update one of these days).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back