Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think they were punishing him during his break by taking away his cell phone and driving? Do we know that he has a license? For all we know, he could have Epilepsy and not be able to drive, hence why he might need rides to places.

As far as his phone goes, well.......I can't tell you how many times my family members have dropped theirs in a sink full of water, dog's water bowl, left it on top of their car and ran it over when it fell off, etc.. So many things might have happened to his own phone, and maybe they hadn't had a chance to replace it before he went missing, hence why he borrowed a family members phone.

Frankly, based on what we know, yes.

I'm sure if he was epileptic that fact would have been included in the information put out by law enforcement.

Many things could have happened to his phone but it was specifically reported that he had been lent a device by a relative over a week prior to his disappearance and that device had no service. If he was awaiting a replacement device: (a) they take a few days, not a week to arrive from insurance (b) no insurance? Why not activate the borrowed device while you await whatever you do to replace it? (I've never been charged a fee when I've done that in similar situations). There's a reason that he didn't have access to his device and, most likely, a reason his mother determined she should track him.

Is it possible that the third party can't be located or that they might be missing too? Just a thought, although, if that were the case, I'm sure we would have heard if the third party was being searched for as well, or a POI.

I agree, although cops could also be tight lipped about the identity of third party. To my knowledge, it's just the family saying they don't know who the third party is.... Maybe cops are on a trail and withholding from family right now ... Who knows

Where are we getting that the phone had no actual service? I was under the impression, based on the media reports, that the phone couldn't get phone calls because it was turned-off after Blaze disappeared. It wouldn't make sense otherwise for Blaze to borrow a non-working phone that couldn't make or receive phone-calls.

On the angle that his parents were punishing him for something by taking away his phone. I don't see that happening, Blaze is an adult and based on his father's background, education, etc he doesn't strike me at the type to punish his adult son by taking away a phone or car. My suspicion is that if Blaze had a vehicle of his own it's more then likely in Philadelphia not Calif. The borrowed cell phone, who knows why that happened but I think it's a red herring in this case, trying to figure out the deal with the phone won't help us find Blaze.

Where are we getting that the phone had no actual service? I was under the impression, based on the media reports, that the phone couldn't get phone calls because it was turned-off after Blaze disappeared. It wouldn't make sense otherwise for Blaze to borrow a non-working phone that couldn't make or receive phone-calls.

On the angle that his parents were punishing him for something by taking away his phone. I don't see that happening, Blaze is an adult and based on his father's background, education, etc he doesn't strike me at the type to punish his adult son by taking away a phone or car. My suspicion is that if Blaze had a vehicle of his own it's more then likely in Philadelphia not Calif. The borrowed cell phone, who knows why that happened but I think it's a red herring in this case, trying to figure out the deal with the phone won't help us find Blaze.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...ln-oc-missing-student-20180106-story,amp.html

From the link provided:

"Bernstein’s cellphone, which had been lent to him by a relative a week earlier, was not receiving calls, according to investigators and friends of the family."

I read this to mean that his cell phone is not currently receiving calls because it is off, not because it was an out-of-service phone.
That's your opinion. Words matter and there is a reason it was written that way. Not receiving calls = no service. All signs point to the device working via WiFi only. The attribution to investigators and family friends also validates my point because "he was using so and so's old device but it wasn't connected to a provider; only worked on WiFi" is info that both could easily confirm. Whereas the device being on or off could only be confirmed by law enforcement.

<modsnip>

I agree. Plus, the phone he had out in CA was working because he texted his friend the address to pick him up at. Right?
Then it was no longer working (turned off?) at 11:30 p.m. that same night.

I agree. Plus, the phone he had out in CA was working because he texted his friend the address to pick him up at. Right?
Then it was no longer working (turned off?) at 11:30 p.m. that same night.
I'll look for the source but the father said he was using apps where messages disappeared to make those arrangements.

Maybe you can provide a credible source which disproves that the phone did not have service but I'm not holding my breath...

How about the fact that he sent a text from it after leaving the house. How do you propose that he sent a text from a phone with no service? "Is not receiving" does not mean "can not ever receive." Yes, words matter.

That's your opinion. Words matter and there is a reason it was written that way. Not receiving calls = no service. All signs point to the device working via WiFi only. The attribution to investigators and family friends also validates my point because "he was using so and so's old device but it wasn't connected to a provider; only worked on WiFi" is info that both could easily confirm. Whereas the device being on or off could only be confirmed by law enforcement.

Maybe you can provide a credible source which disproves that the phone did not have service but I'm not holding my breath...

I hardly doubt he had wifi connection in the park unless he had a portable hotspot. I've got Tmobile and have hiked Whiting Ranch area. I get no service from Tmobile in that area it's a dead zone for me.

His parents didn't even know he left the house that night. Blaze didn't want them to know perhaps he thought they would keep him from going. Call me overprotective but when my boys were that age when visiting me in OC while they attended UC Irvine or even when they lived with us were very good about saying bye, or taking off now so I would lock up after.
Or, he may have felt no need to even mention stepping out the door if he only intended to chat in his driveway.

Or, he may have been at a certain level of independence. The time came when I really didn't have to sneak. Once my parents went to bed, I stayed up. Late. Often. I stepped front as a matter of routine, sometimes walked to the park or the gas station to smoke, hang out with friends, buy chips, whatever. I was functioning under the assumption I wasn't gonna be gone long enough or far enough to constitute actually going "out."

It may have been a situation he felt he needed to sneak, or...it could've been a situation in which he felt 100% at liberty. Seeing the level of trust his parents exhibited in an interview, I tend to think the latter.

I hardly doubt he had wifi connection in the park unless he had a portable hotspot. I've got Tmobile and have hiked Whiting Ranch area. I get no service from Tmobile in that area it's a dead zone for me.

I was wondering what service was like out there in the wilderness for different carriers. That might be why his phone had no service as of 11:30. Maybe he wandered far enough in that there was no service.
I too am from the area so I know what it's like out there. Pretty vast. But, at dark, if you were lost, wouldn't you be able to see lights in the distance and walk towards them?

I was wondering what service was like out there in the wilderness for different carriers. That might be why his phone had no service as of 11:30. Maybe he wandered far enough in that there was no service.
I too am from the area so I know what it's like out there. Pretty vast. But, at dark, if you were lost, wouldn't you be able to see lights in the distance and walk towards them?

This is exactly what I posted on the HFBBFB page yesterday but I got no response.

Petition years ago to keep park dark.
https://www.ocregister.com/2008/07/10/foothill-ranch-residents-want-to-keep-their-park-dark/

From earlier discussions, I'm under the impression it would be pretty easy out there to end up in a place you couldn't get out of, stumbling around in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmenSanDiego314