Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, From August 2016

...The City Council unanimously voted Tuesday to add the security cameras and two other projects – improvements to Whispering Hills Park and new fencing at Montbury Park – to its budget for capital improvement projects.

Some cameras will also have the ability to recognize license plate numbers, city staff said in a presentation.

City officials say they hope the cameras will help catch those who commit crimes of vandalism or theft.

...At Whispering Hills Park. the city plans to re-grade the front slope and install new perimeter fencing with screening materials, enhance erosion devices and add new landscaping with an irrigation system.

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/08/...cameras-at-sports-park-and-etnies-skate-park/

(nothing about Borrego or Whiting ranch...)

FWIW, From August 2016

...The City Council unanimously voted Tuesday to add the security cameras and two other projects – improvements to Whispering Hills Park and new fencing at Montbury Park – to its budget for capital improvement projects.

Some cameras will also have the ability to recognize license plate numbers, city staff said in a presentation.

City officials say they hope the cameras will help catch those who commit crimes of vandalism or theft.

...At Whispering Hills Park. the city plans to re-grade the front slope and install new perimeter fencing with screening materials, enhance erosion devices and add new landscaping with an irrigation system.

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/08/...cameras-at-sports-park-and-etnies-skate-park/

(nothing about Borrego or Whiting ranch...)

Good find. We can put to bed that there are no security cameras at Borrego Park.

What are the possibilities?

He left wallet home, so maybe we can rule out drug deal. Also, he supposedly has zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol. If he was hooking up with someone, would he really need to have a third person ride him there and wait? Maybe, but if that driver was supposed to be there for safety reasons in case anything bad happened, it sure doesn't seem like that person knew they were there for safety reasons.

Wouldn't Blaze have told the driver the reason he was going into the wilderness area, and to check back with him to make sure everything went down ok? There is a lot of vagueness to the story.

BBM. All excellent points. I wanted to mention that Blaze appears to be holding a champagne flute in the photo of him in the first post, and the contents may be sparkling juice, but, in context, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume it's champagne. I'm not trying to imply that he has a secret drinking problem (I don't think he does), but I think the 'zero tolerance' might be a just a little bit overstated to avoid people suspecting this involves a drug deal gone bad.

I could be way off-base here. I don't know BB personally. I'm basing my thoughts on articles I've read, descriptions in interviews, reading his fiction, and considering his curricular and extra-curricular activities...

This kid is a prolific writer. Not just a kid who writes -- he's a Writer who knows his craft, hones his craft, and uses his craft. (I'm sorry I can't provide the link to his literary journal contributions -- I think Auntiesemantic posted a couple links upthread.)

I can guess there are exceptions to the rule, but every writer I've ever known has used their craft as an extension of themselves, in the way a bilingual person uses a second language, or hearing-impaired use sign. If BB was depressed, I believe without a doubt he was writing about it somewhere. And possibly, to someone.

If this is a case of self-harm, I truly believe he would've left a work of writing upon his departure. His short stories show an embrace of meaning. His relationships were meaningful to him. He was a participatory family member, which can't be said for a lot of kids at that stage in life.

He'd know the depth of anguish his sudden disappearance would create, and if he intended to exit this life, I truly believe he would've left parting words. Maybe not a suicide note. Maybe not a letter. Maybe it would be a story, an article, a journal entry. It would be something, and it would be something he'd intend to be read.

BB is a compassionate, contemplative person. I just don't think he'd go silently.

BBM. All excellent points. I wanted to mention that Blaze appears to be holding a champagne flute in the photo of him in the first post, and the contents may be sparkling juice, but, in context, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume it's champagne. I'm not trying to imply that he has a secret drinking problem (I don't think he does), but I think the 'zero tolerance' might be a just a little bit overstated to avoid people suspecting this involves a drug deal gone bad.

Champagne/wine may be a normal element of his family culture. A lot of families, including our own, share celebratory champagne/wine with the oldest offsprings in family settings. It's just part of our gatherings, like old family recipes.

That said, I don't think 'zero tolerance' is an unreasonable choice of phrase. In his personal context and family culture, champagne/wine and narcotics may be apples to oranges.

Except that would he have expected the park to be very well populated at that time of night?

FWIW, this is a pretty quiet suburban area. Like I said before, I don't know their exact neighborhood, but I know the area. I shop at the shopping centers around the park regularly, but I live in a different subdivision than they do. At 11PM, I would expect that park to be the exact opposite of "well populated." That's not to say no one would ever go there for an innocent "for sale" exchange, but if they did, I think the motive would have to be purely not wanting the person to know where you live vs. hoping for lots of witnesses.

I found the champagne photo odd, as well as the other photo of BB with a side part and coral shirt. They were obviously provide by the family - but if you look at the pictures of BB that DM took from his FB page, you can see that the photos provided by the family were about a year or two ago, he looks much more grown up in the recent DM photos. Why didn't the parents provide an updated photo?

Champagne/wine may be a normal element of his family culture. A lot of families, including our own, share celebratory champagne/wine with the oldest offsprings in family settings. It's just part of our gatherings, like old family recipes.

That said, I don't think 'zero tolerance' is an unreasonable choice of phrase. In his personal context and family culture, champagne/wine and narcotics may be apples to oranges.

I agree, and I suspect the photo in the first post was taken at the sort of celebration that you describe. However, while 'zero tolerance' may be Blaze's stance regarding drugs/narcotics, this phrase has also been used also to refer to Blaze's stance on alcohol. Perhaps my frequent interaction with people who observe prohibitions on alcohol for religious reasons means that I thought it odd that such a strong statement would be made about alcohol along with a photo of Blaze holding an alcoholic beverage, especially since there's no evidence that alcohol played any role whatsoever in this case. JMO.

I agree, and I suspect the photo in the first post was taken at the sort of celebration that you describe. However, while 'zero tolerance' may be Blaze's stance regarding drugs/narcotics, this phrase has also been used also to refer to Blaze's stance on alcohol. Perhaps my frequent interaction with people who observe prohibitions on alcohol for religious reasons means that I thought it odd that such a strong statement would be made about alcohol along with a photo of Blaze holding an alcoholic beverage, especially since there's no evidence that alcohol played any role whatsoever in this case. JMO.

I see. I saw the photo but I haven't read any captions about it. Honestly, I'm pretty ignorant about the Jewish faith. I know nothing at all about the family's personal religious culture or their family culture, so I couldn't say.

I do know that "down here," we've got tons of religious people with absolutely no alcohol prohibitions at all. But that's Catholic family culture where I'm from. I have no idea what it's like in Jewish family culture. The topic intrigues me though.

Ok, so I'm slow on the upkeep but I'm just checking in for Blaze after hearing his story.

Also, there is nothing "odd" about a mother driving a 19 year old to he dentist. I hate the dentist and still won't go on my own now, never mind as a teen. Also, if he was at PA, he likely did not have a car in CA? And why go alone and pay if you can make Mom drive you and pay :D

All jokes aside though, there is nothing odd about Mom accompanying him to the dentist... there is however a hell of a lot that is odd about this disappearance.

Before leaving home, Bernstein had been in lengthy communication with his friend using social media apps that do not leave a permanent record

Bernstein was last seen late Tuesday at Borrego Park near Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, where he had gone to meet a friend.

“The friend told investigators that he went to the restroom, and when he came out Blaze had walked off. We do not believe foul play was involved at this point, and the friend is only a witness, not a suspect or person of concern.”

“We have a search-and-rescue team of 25 deputies and canine units fanning out across the area today in search of clues."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oc-missing-student-20180106-story.html

I think "friend" is lying.

Snipped

She said her son was excited to return to school. Over the weekend, she found a note on his computer describing how important it was to be an optimist. Blaze, she said, managed his stress with school by cooking and writing.

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-bernstein-search-20180108-story.html

"He's a phenomenal, unique, interesting person," she said. "Blaze was like any normal kid his age at an Ivy League school."
Before leaving home, Blaze Bernstein had been in lengthy communication with his friend on social media apps that do not leave a permanent record, authorities said.

Ok, so I'm slow on the upkeep but I'm just checking in for Blaze after hearing his story.

Also, there is nothing "odd" about a mother driving a 19 year old to he dentist. I hate the dentist and still won't go on my own now, never mind as a teen. Also, if he was at PA, he likely did not have a car in CA? And why go alone and pay if you can make Mom drive you and pay :D

All jokes aside though, there is nothing odd about Mom accompanying him to the dentist... there is however a hell of a lot that is odd about this disappearance.

It isn't odd in a vacuum. It's perhaps telling in the larger picture. Just a piece of the puzzle, and certainly not an implication as to what may have happened to Blaze.

In simpler terms it implies that he may have been a sheltered young adult. Why? Is there a reason to shelter, watch, over protect? Was he hiding his reasons for being out that night? Is there a reason why the parents may be watching him a little closely?

Has something happened in the past that may have made them more protective? Why didn't Blaze have his own cell phone? Why the borrowed phone? What medication does he take on a daily basis that he cannot function without? I did read this, but don't have the article handy.

Anyway, my point about the dentist is not that it is telling in the most literal way, but rather, may imply other things. Sigh, I will not be posting here anymore, but do hope that he is found safe.

Snipped

She said her son was excited to return to school. Over the weekend, she found a note on his computer describing how important it was to be an optimist. Blaze, she said, managed his stress with school by cooking and writing.

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-bernstein-search-20180108-story.html

"He's a phenomenal, unique, interesting person," she said. "Blaze was like any normal kid his age at an Ivy League school."
Before leaving home, Blaze Bernstein had been in lengthy communication with his friend on social media apps that do not leave a permanent record, authorities said.

BBM

Perhaps an indirect note for the family? Or was it a school assignment, I wonder. If indirect note for family, perhaps that his way of telling his family not to worry. This would jive with the theory he left on his own.

Plus, I forget who said it upthread, but BB is a writer and usually writer's leave indications if they're planning to leave (paraphrasing). This "optimistic" note would fit that profile.

What are the possibilities?

He left wallet home, so maybe we can rule out drug deal. Also, he supposedly has zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol. If he was hooking up with someone, would he really need to have a third person ride him there and wait? Maybe, but if that driver was supposed to be there for safety reasons in case anything bad happened, it sure doesn't seem like that person knew they were there for safety reasons.

Wouldn't Blaze have told the driver the reason he was going into the wilderness area, and to check back with him to make sure everything went down ok? There is a lot of vagueness to the story.

and since blaze's phone had no GPS authorities only have the driver's word they went to the park. The driver was discovered via app and did not volunteer prior to that so what does he say to (possibly) displace blame?..'ahh he took off at the park' or something similar. This "friend" needs some time in an interrogation room.

Thank you!!! Mystery solved! I knew I wasn't crazy. [emoji1]
You're certainly not! Thanks for all the thought-provoking questions and theories. You are a great addition to this case. :)

I have a family member living with me his same age. He goes out all the time at odd hours. So do his friends. If I were asleep he wouldn't bother to mention it to me. If I wake up and he's not here we just text to make sure he's ok. Men at this young age like to feel a sense of independence and trust. I don't find it all strange that BB left at that time and didn't mention it to anyone.

I was was thinking the exact same thing. When I used to go home to visit after leaving for college, many times I would just leave to go meet friends, especially if everyone else was asleep or out. I personally don’t find that strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmenSanDiego314