CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
has there been any more word on the remains found in Montebello along the bike trail on July 13, 2013?

Interesting to note that remains of a female were found along that same bike trail in April of this year. I wonder if that is a common dump spot for bodies in the LA area?

I doubt the remains found on July 13 are related to Bob, but hope springs eternal. each time a body turns up in that area of CA I dare to hope Bob may finally come home to be laid to rest with dignity.

That's a shame. You'd find all the beer meet up groups near Placentia boring then. So would I, because I can't drink the stuff either, with or without blackberries. I could always take a German with me though, with samples from our gazillion brewers here. Then I'd be popular.

http://beer-festivals.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/placentia/

I don't know about beer, but I do know it's possible to have own labels put on wine. I know that wouldn't be appropriate for Bob but it has given me an idea. It would be nice to have Bob's name on something that could be easily distributed and kept around. It would have to be something useful but not disrespectful, and preferably something a few people would see.

Now I'm pondering.

I'm pondering too, zwie. You always make me think!

I'm pondering conventions and conferences and trainings and whatnot. I wonder if we could get Mr. Harrod's case used as a feature 'sample' case at a series of SAR based conferences and trainings? Years ago we did up a DVD for a simliar purpose, to be given out with training materials during the conference. That case happened to be a man who never came home after work one day- it's a long story, but the man was pretty much ignored as missing by his family and community because they thought he just up and ran off with a woman he was 'allegedly' having an affair with, leaving his family behind.
In fact, he was working two jobs (one a secret from his wife and kids) in order to pay off a gambling debt (also a secret), and not having an affair at all. He had driven off the road and out of sight of passing motorists on his way home from his second job, and died in the accident.
No one knew where to look for him, because there were so many conflicting stories- and everyone believed their own version- of which all were inaccurate.

Anyway, we used it for training purposes as a teaching aid to see how convoluted cases can become when misinformation starts and then becomes 'fact' and how that can impact the usage of SAR tools.

I wonder if we could get something like that up and running using Mr. Harrod's case. Then a large population of people who are already interested in advancing their education about techniques used in the recovery of missing persons would see Bob's face front and center on a DVD.

What a brilliant idea! Is there anywhere I could see any examples of the type of thing? I have a LOAD of training videos available in my house. Unfortunately, they are nothing to do with missing people.

A webinar might be good. Write up Bob's case, get a trainer to present it live to a few trainees. Put them on mute for the presentation so it can't be interrupted and is smooth for future presentations.

When it's finished, they text in quick questions and the trainer reads them out and answers them live. End result - a great video of a case presentation, with most of the questions that will have occurred to most viewers being answered at the end. Downloadable to anyone you care to give access to.

Do not ever attempt this though, with any dogs but well trained, quiet SAR dogs anywhere near. Also, when it's over, if you decide to discuss the audience and how they responded, remember they can still hear YOU unless you switch yourself off. :)

ETA With powerpoint slides as well as the trainer, of course.

speaking of billboards

http://www.lamar.com/InventoryBrowser

zoom in on that
find myself wondering how generous Lamar might feel

That gave me vertigo just looking at it. Not the amounts, it's the lists.

You're good with choice locations and brave. Maybe you could negotiate? Don't forget to ask how much good publicity we're allowed to give them. Come up with a little deal and I think I might be able to help from there....

My sample size was very small: three Aussies who are staying with a friend of mine who is a mechanic on the NASCAR circuit. They came to see if they could get my old van running well enough to drive to my friend's house (I'm giving it to him). Very fun loving guys and way too nice. They found about a dozen little things to do around my house, stuff my husband and I have had to let slide because we're too crippled to do then, so while they were fixing stuff I asked what sort of beer they'd like.

"NOT FOSTERS!!!" "We kick that stuff out of the country, it's so bad!"

What makes me sad is that those three nice young men did more for complete strangers (my husband and me) in one afternoon than Bob's three daughters have done to find him in four years.

Right? In Bob's case, strangers around the world have shown more love and concern than they. Pretty sad.

well trying to increase awareness & interest has been a wee taxing/frustrating? ...but I suppose I might could test the waters a la Lamar...wonder if such a display would be ordained a 'blessing' by those in a higher capacity?

has there been any more word on the remains found in Montebello along the bike trail on July 13, 2013?

Interesting to note that remains of a female were found along that same bike trail in April of this year. I wonder if that is a common dump spot for bodies in the LA area?

I doubt the remains found on July 13 are related to Bob, but hope springs eternal. each time a body turns up in that area of CA I dare to hope Bob may finally come home to be laid to rest with dignity.

Me too. But I also dread it because I want him to come home alive. To Fontelle, so they can potter about in the garden, and also jump in the car and drive miles to see friends, go on cruises, and have so many days out that the children (probably Fontelle's) start calling up saying; "Where have you BEEN? What time do you call this, I was so worried about you! Did your forget how to answer your cell or something?"

Like poor Mrs Harrod, I know this isn't to be. But I know I haven't accepted it at all really. I'm not good with that. I always think if a person works hard enough, they can make a happy ending. Even though I know it's not true :(

Anyway,

The Coroner is still examining the remains, I should think.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-montebello-remains-20130801,0,3727587.story

The LA Coroner's site doesn't work with an ipad and I can't get to my other computer at the moment to check. The thief is vulnerable and I can't employ the usual tactics. It wouldn't be fair. Here's the link though.

http://coroner.lacounty.gov/htm/Coroner_Home.htm

well trying to increase awareness & interest has been a wee taxing/frustrating? ...but I suppose I might could test the waters a la Lamar...wonder if such a display would be ordained a 'blessing' by those in a higher capacity?

Well, I think Lamar sounds like a very nice company. I can't think why they wouldn't want to lend a hand to the Orange County Community after winning a nice bit of business there. Imagine trying to reunite those childhood sweethearts for a second time - I can just imagine the press releases now. In fact, I can SEE them. I'll ask if you want.

This case, I Hv followed it from day one. I always wondered if he and his son got into a fight maybe over his upcoming vows marriage etc...I Hv to go w motive and the last person to see him alive and that is his son. So, until that is cleared uo for me, I'm out. I think a fight could Hv ensued who knows.

What a brilliant idea! Is there anywhere I could see any examples of the type of thing? I have a LOAD of training videos available in my house. Unfortunately, they are nothing to do with missing people.

I'm thinking thinking thinking. Fine line between solicitation and business and all that. I guess we couldn't leave it under vehicle windshield wipers and such. But maybe create a mailing list?
Maybe a free web tutorial? Hmmmm, thinking cap on........

check THIS out
http://www.roadninja.com/
snipped

Value-Added Benefits

As the nation’s leading out-of-home advertising company, we’re always looking for innovative ways to help advertisers stand out and to deliver more value to our customers.

Out-of-home advertising meets mobile technology with RoadNinja, an interstate travel app from Lamar Advertising Company that is revolutionizing the out-of-home industry. Now we can extend your message from our billboards, digital and transit formats right onto the mobile device, thanks to RoadNinja.
Integrated with Google Maps, RoadNinja can plan your next trip, exit by exit.

hmmmmmm

interesting bill board locations FWIW
34.3093 -117.46939
34.174911 -117.278828
34.06815 -117.2963
34.13595 -117.3377

there is the 61st Annual California RV Show
October 11-October 20, 2013
LA Fairplex
Pomona, CA (USA)
http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=cashow

CAN you imagine being able to pass out flyers OR have a banner at the KOA guest entrance to this event???? Something????

this is for RV's...does anyone know offhand if there are any similar events for Hiking and camping, or for ATV's/4X4....any where in teh LA/Inland Emprie areas, coming up?

ETA the RV show is gonna have a 48 pg 'show book'...groan it may be too late....
anyone want to send me 20, 000 + flyers? grin

Office Calendar?

But it's too late for this year and I'm hoping he'll be found before next year.

What about pens or pencils with "Where's Bob Harrod?" or something like that and a link to the websites? Maybe they could be handed out at fairs, conferences, bike shops or hiking supply stores?

price each on pencils, finding that you would have to have an order of 5000 to get the price down to .09 each= $450,at one place for example
10,000 business card size magnets- as low as .06 each=$600

That's a shame. You'd find all the beer meet up groups near Placentia boring then. So would I, because I can't drink the stuff either, with or without blackberries. I could always take a German with me though, with samples from our gazillion brewers here. Then I'd be popular.

http://beer-festivals.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/placentia/

I don't know about beer, but I do know it's possible to have own labels put on wine. I know that wouldn't be appropriate for Bob but it has given me an idea. It would be nice to have Bob's name on something that could be easily distributed and kept around. It would have to be something useful but not disrespectful, and preferably something a few people would see.

Now I'm pondering.

I immediately thought "champagne!" from that lovely shot of Mr and Mrs Harrod enjoying a glass after they were married.

But that seems not quite right and probably expensive to boot.

Then I thought "what would symbolise not forgetting Bob?" and I came up with pads of sticky notes. They are useful, used for remembering and altogether practical.

So there's my vote: sticky pads with a thumbnail of Bob on them and a caption. My preference for the caption would be something like "Semper fidelis" but I'm not sure if the Marines here have trademarked the phrase. If not, then I think it is perfect as a thumbnail description of the case.

Pencils
sticky notes
billboards
and roadninjas

we're getting a list here folks!

This case, I Hv followed it from day one. I always wondered if he and his son got into a fight maybe over his upcoming vows marriage etc...I Hv to go w motive and the last person to see him alive and that is his son. So, until that is cleared uo for me, I'm out. I think a fight could Hv ensued who knows.

Well, we can only guess what son-in-law said or felt about the marriage as he hasn't ever spoken out. But the daughters have said none of them knew about the marriage in advance and it was a big surprise for them, but they were pleased. Although they also 'warned' him.

Bob did seem reluctant to tell the family anything about it in advance, so I can't help but think he might have anticipated problems. But he and Fontelle didn't intend to get married as quickly as they did (they just went down to book the wedding originally). So maybe he was intending to have a big 'do' and invite all the family?

I can only judge from what I've seen of the family's reaction to Fontelle since Bob's disappearance. And that suggests to me they do not like her being around at all, even when she is there trying to help find their father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow