Found Deceased CA - British actor Julian Sands, 65, missing in Mount Baldy area, San Gabriel Mountains, last seen 13 Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Human remains found in mountains in California have been confirmed to be those of British actor Julian Sands, who went missing on a hike in January.

Walkers found the remains on Saturday, police said, and they have now been formally identified.

Sands, 65, was best known for his roles in the Oscar-winning film A Room With A View and TV dramas 24 and Smallville.

His other credits included 2011's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in which he appeared opposite Daniel Craig.

Sands disappeared on 13 January during bad weather in the Baldy Bowl area of the San Gabriel Mountains.

Air and ground searches were hampered as California was battered by deadly storms, as well as icy conditions and a threat of avalanches.

Such a great actor.

I’m glad he has been found and in a weird way I feel somewhat happy. He died doing something he loved. I hope he didn’t suffer.

Godspeed Julian. May you rest for eternity on a mountaintop feeling free as an eagle.

MOO

Julian Sands spoke of feeling “chilled” by the discovery of human remains when pursuing his love of climbing, in his last UK interview before he died on a solo hike in California.

The 65-year-old actor was a committed climber and said he increasingly ventured out alone. “Pals I used to climb with have stopped going to the mountains,” partly because rock faces had become more unstable with climate change, and partly because of age, he told the Radio Times.

“If you don’t really have the desire, the focus for climbing a route, if you’re not absolutely committed, it becomes much more dangerous.”

He added: “I’ve found spooky things on mountains, when you know you’re in a place where many people have lost their lives, whether it be on the Eiger or in the Andes. You may be confronted with human remains and that can be chilling.”

Julian Sands' official cause of death has been deemed undetermined, the coroner for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department ruled weeks after the British actor's body was found.

"The cause is Undetermined due to the condition of the body and the fact that no other factors were discovered during the coroner's investigation, this is common when dealing with cases of this type," a spokesperson for the coroner's office said in a written statement. "This is the final determination."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainsilversquirrel
Back