CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped by me for space.

With respect, every single thing we know about this case is hearsay. Nothing can be ruled out really, at this point. We can't say, "well we don't know and I don't think it matters so we are ruling this one out."

As for the verified attorney comment, he wasn't looking for a clue. He was trying to confirm that the family would be notified by a hospital or rehab if Bryce was there because of his status as critical missing.

Guys, Bryce would face ZERO repercussions criminally or civilly if he was found having been voluntarily missing, whether he knew about the search or not. Zero.

Th runaway bride lied to police and that's why she was forced to pay restitution.

Now I feel crazy. I thought he went up There because the girl he liked was going to school up there?

G, just wanted to address your comment that Bryce would face face zero repercussions criminally if he was found having been voluntarily missing.
Lets just say hypothetically. He had not told his parents that he was coming home. His mother had his phone pinged, by reporting him missing. LE located him and he told them he was going home to meet with a friend to "blow off steam." He has been communicating with someone with a "bat phone." Sent his own car off the embankment, staged accident. Said person he has been communicating with picked him up and he is with them, hiding. Would there not be any repercussions for him staging an accident, on purpose and then go missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
Not that it matters, but wonder why, if Bryce was simply picking up credits before starting at a four-year school, (as per above link) he chose to go so far from his parents new home.
Now I feel crazy. I thought he went up There because the girl he liked was going to school up there?

Did they not meet at Sierra?

Yes. He met KS in the doorms at Sierra. BL didn't know her prior to moving to CA.

I'm not a registered insider, so I think I need to watch what I post here. But, I think what I can say is that Bryce did not research Sierra first and then the family moved there. That would be a pretty big move just for your child to go to a community college. =)

Both of his parents were fortunate enough to retire early and it was a planned move to Cali. But I think Bryce staying in Naperville and going to school was not a choice for him.

Have you thought abt becoming a verified insider? I'm not sure what the requirements are, but I think you might have some valuable insights to share...and I'd love to hear more as it might give us more perspective into Bryce's disappearance (thank you for all of the info you have been able to share)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
Not that it matters, but wonder why, if Bryce was simply picking up credits before starting at a four-year school, (as per above link) he chose to go so far from his parents new home.

Did they not meet at Sierra?

Yes, they met at Sierra and had been dating for 5 months.

Have you thought abt becoming a verified insider? I'm not sure what the requirements are, but I think you might have some valuable insights to share...and I'd love to hear more as it might give us more perspective into Bryce's disappearance (thank you for all of the info you have been able to share)!

I'm not sure what the requirements are either, but most (not all) of what I know is thru my son. So I think it would qualify as "hearsay". He's not on this board and has such a heavy load at school, I'm the one keeping him up to date on the progress in finding Bryce.

G, just wanted to address your comment that Bryce would face face zero repercussions criminally if he was found having been voluntarily missing.
Lets just say hypothetically. He had not told his parents that he was coming home. His mother had his phone pinged, by reporting him missing. LE located him and he told them he was going home to meet with a friend to "blow off steam." He has been communicating with someone with a "bat phone." Sent his own car off the embankment, staged accident. Said person he has been communicating with picked him up and he is with them, hiding. Would there not be any repercussions for him staging an accident, on purpose and then go missing?

Well, bat phones, meeting shadowy characters etc., wouldn't matter. If the car is his parents and he intentionally crashed it and they wanted to press charges for that, they possibly could. It would likely be a civil matter, though not criminal.

If, indeed, he was charged with a crime for intentionally damaging the vehicle, he could be asked to pay restitution by a third party- LE - as part of any penalty he would face. But it is far from guaranteed that request would be granted by a court.

Nevertheless, it's a good question. So, for Bryce to face repercussions, the following would need to be true:
1. He intentionally crashed his car.
2. His parents pressed charges or LE decided to charge him with something like disturbing the peace or malicious mischief, or vandalism, for intentionally crashing the truck.
3. For restitution for the search to be a consequence, 1 and 2 would have to be true and LE would have to request that payment of search costs be part of the penalty.
4. A court mus agree with 3.

Yes. He met KS in the doorms at Sierra. BL didn't know her prior to moving to CA.

Oh. Well that is odd then.

I'm not sure what the requirements are either, but most (not all) of what I know is thru my son. So I think it would qualify as "hearsay". He's not on this board and has such a heavy load at school, I'm the one keeping him up to date on the progress in finding Bryce.

Well, I'm sure I can speak for all of us, when I say we appreciate all of your opinions/thoughts/posts. I wish the rules on here were a little less strict. I don't feel like I can post a lot of what I want to say since I can't link to it on MSM. Maybe I should get my theories published so I can contribute more.
;-)

Forgive me if this has already been addressed; I have read extensively and haven't found an answer:

I am curious about the gas delivery to Bryce in Buttonwillow. Everything I've read indicates that the road service driver showed up and Bryce wasn't around so the driver left but returned when Bryce "called back immediately requesting gas." The following is from post #495 from dragracerz (sorry, I'm not clever enough to figure out how to link!):

"Could be ? I don't know if it is in the timeline or not, but the road service driver showed up with gas and Bryce wasn't by his car, the driver left and Bryce called back immediately requesting gas, the driver turned around and brought him 3 gallons of gas.

My sister was notified of the road service via text (survey on service) and called and actually talked to the driver while he was with Bryce. He said he didn't see him when he first got there and maybe Bryce was sleeping, Bryce was listening to the conversation and butted in, "Yeah, I was sleeping"

Okay, I don't know if the driver looked in the car when he first got there and left OR if he did and Bryce wasn't in the car ???"

The assumption is that Bryce called the driver back. How did Bryce know that the driver had come and gone? I think there might be another possible scenario. Speaking from my own experience as a former dispatcher for AAA, when a driver arrives at a disabled vehicle location and finds no one present, he contacts dispatch and reports this and will usually remain at the location for a few minutes while the dispatcher attempts to contact the customer. Based on available documentation (that I could find), this is not what happened with Bryce. I wonder if we have the correct scenario. It may not even be relevant, but it's something that's been constantly weighing on my mind.

I'd really appreciate clarification on this if anyone can provide it. (-:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed; I have read extensively and haven't found an answer:

I am curious about the gas delivery to Bryce in Buttonwillow. Everything I've read indicates that the road service driver showed up and Bryce wasn't around so the driver left but returned when Bryce "called back immediately requesting gas." The following is from post #495 from dragracerz (sorry, I'm not clever enough to figure out how to link!):

"Could be ? I don't know if it is in the timeline or not, but the road service driver showed up with gas and Bryce wasn't by his car, the driver left and Bryce called back immediately requesting gas, the driver turned around and brought him 3 gallons of gas.

My sister was notified of the road service via text (survey on service) and called and actually talked to the driver while he was with Bryce. He said he didn't see him when he first got there and maybe Bryce was sleeping, Bryce was listening to the conversation and butted in, "Yeah, I was sleeping"

Okay, I don't know if the driver looked in the car when he first got there and left OR if he did and Bryce wasn't in the car ???"

The assumption is that Bryce called the driver back. How did Bryce know that the driver had come and gone? I think there might be another possible scenario. Speaking from my own experience as a former dispatcher for AAA, when a driver arrives at a disabled vehicle location and finds no one present, he contacts dispatch and reports this and will usually remain at the location for a few minutes while the dispatcher attempts to contact the customer. Based on available documentation (that I could find), this is not what happened with Bryce. I wonder if we have the correct scenario. It may not even be relevant, but it's something that's been constantly weighing on my mind.

Sorry, I can't shed any light on that as I think that's all we heard. I remember thinking it was odd. If the driver arrived at Bryce's car and he wasn't standing next to it waiting, wouldn't you think he would peer inside the car to see if perhaps he had laid down? Makes me think he was off somewhere....perhaps making a phone call to a friend so it wouldn't be found on his cell. Maybe he was walking back to the car and saw the driver leave so knew to call back to let them know to come back.

Sorry, I can't shed any light on that as I think that's all we heard. I remember thinking it was odd. If the driver arrived at Bryce's car and he wasn't standing next to it waiting, wouldn't you think he would peer inside the car to see if perhaps he had laid down? Makes me think he was off somewhere....perhaps making a phone call to a friend so it wouldn't be found on his cell. Maybe he was walking back to the car and saw the driver leave so knew to call back to let them know to come back.

Maybe he was going to the bathroom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, bat phones, meeting shadowy characters etc., wouldn't matter. If the car is his parents and he intentionally crashed it and they wanted to press charges for that, they possibly could. It would likely be a civil matter, though not criminal.

If, indeed, he was charged with a crime for intentionally damaging the vehicle, he could be asked to pay restitution by a third party- LE - as part of any penalty he would face. But it is far from guaranteed that request would be granted by a court.

Nevertheless, it's a good question. So, for Bryce to face repercussions, the following would need to be true:
1. He intentionally crashed his car.
2. His parents pressed charges or LE decided to charge him with something like disturbing the peace or malicious mischief, or vandalism, for intentionally crashing the truck.
3. For restitution for the search to be a consequence, 1 and 2 would have to be true and LE would have to request that payment of search costs be part of the penalty.
4. A court mus agree with 3.

Oh. Well that is odd then.

Let me add that if Bryce wasnt in his right mind when he crashed the truck, even if he meant to, it likely would not be considered "intentional".

Jumping off ...

Why would that road service driver with the gas even offer the statement/excuse: "maybe Bryce was sleeping"? Why would he even guess at BL's whereabouts or what BL was doing? If BL "wasn't by his car" when the service driver arrived, wasn't that enough of an explanation/excuse?

I hope he would (or will, soon) let his parents know if he is okay, even if he does not want to come home or return to school. Yet I wonder how long he could really be "out there" on his own, if he is not accustomed to earning a living and paying his bills, or living "rough".

I believe his uncle said he would never worry his parents like this purposely, but as we know, people don't always act the way we expect.

Anyway, I am still concerned about the lake.

JMO

New update on FB! Possible sighting 5 days old :banghead:

FIND BRYCE LASPISA

11 minutes ago.

ATTENTION: People in Northern California, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. I just learned of a possible sighting (5 days old) in Port Orford, OR.
On Sept. 17 a person fitting Bryce's description was seen in Port Orford OR. Local Sheriff was notified but unable to find him. If it is Bryce, he said he was lost. Being north of I-80 and west of I-5 this makes sense. He may try to go south on I-5 or east on I-80.
Anyone in these areas, please post flyers.
Thank you
Brian

I wonder what time this sighting was? This made my hair stand on end, because last week a few posters were joking about seeing redheaded kids in their town and doing double takes. I had a 'run in' myself before their postings, but did not share it. The posters were simply expressing how much this case was affecting them and I felt they had stated my shared thoughts clearly.

I will preface this with: I doubt the guy I saw was Bryce; I only saw him from the side/back. This was the same day as the Port Orford sighting: Tuesday, Sept. 17th, about 4:30 - 4:45 pm. I was driving through downtown Portland in the Pearl District between Glisan and Lovejoy. Suddenly a redheaded, buzzcut, college-age looking kid caught my eye, about 3/4 the way crossing the street from right to left in my vantage point.

Like the other posters, I was like 'woah'... but I didn't really think it was him, maybe because it's so far from Castaic (although I know we've talked about him being anywhere) and even if I did suspect it, I would have had to find a place to park my car on a crowded downtown block, on one-way streets, requiring going at least a block in a further direction to find a spot...and run the kid down. (Not that I wouldn't have done it if I'd truly suspected anything)

It looked like the kid had books or a messenger bag (holding something in one arm), tho I can't be sure. He was wearing nice, newish clothes, like pants and a light colored plaid-ish shirt. (Cream/light rust/forest green?) casually walking by; not homeless/street kid.

Basically, it was a fleeting 'sighting' that could have been anyone. But if the Port Orford sighting pans anything out, it could be a further direction to pursue.

Port Orford is almost 5 hours from Portland...so timing of the sighting would help. But I felt I should mention it now, and then it's out there for whatever it's worth.

ETA: I just sent a message on the Facebook: FindBryceLaspisa page. If anyone else wants to actually post any part or paraphrasing of this 'possible though probably unlikely' sighting to the main page, please feel free to do so. Though to me, with the fleetingness of it, I feel like it would be maybe getting people's hopes up unnecessarily.

The road service driver's actions, if accurately stated, are confusing to me. It goes against standard procedure for a driver to vacate the location of a disabled vehicle without first attempting to contact dispatch to notify them that the owner of the disabled vehicle is not present so that dispatch can contact the owner to let them know the driver is there. Why wasn't this done? It makes no sense, so the logical conclusion is that Bryce did not call dispatch; they called him. And if so, why would he leave the car in the first place knowing the road service driver was on his way?

Aarggh. Hope I'm making sense to someone because I'm confusing myself!

I'd like to know what time BL called for the service to deliver the gas and what time they arrived. IOW, how long did BL wait after calling for the gas to be delivered?

Just checked their website...they do require an application and transfer of transcripts. Probably not too stringent, however, similar to the local community college my son went to before moving on to University of AZ.

I remember asking my son back when he first heard where Bryce was going the same question...why so far for a community college? He didn't know and didn't ask. My assumption would be to get away from the watchful eyes of his parents (not unlike many teenagers!). I would imagine there was a grade point average he had to maintain or he would be going back home. That's probably why we heard the statement that he was feeling the pressure of getting good grades. We did the same thing with our son. Before a huge investment in an out of state tuition at a 4 year university was made, my son needed to prove he could stay focused on his studies enough to get good grades. The weekly allowance Bryce received also showed they were trying to give him some freedom but also maintain some sort of rein on his behavior. Just my two cents....

Hello - I've been following these threads from the beginning as it has really resonated with me for a few reasons. I'm new to posting, so I'm not sure if the above quote will appear correctly.
My son lived in the dorms with Bryce and they were good friends. Watching my son worry has been hard, plus as a parent, with two kids away at college - you just worry about all the things that can happen.
I can speak to why my son choose Sierra and the process. This is one of the few Junior Colleges that have a dorm, so the kids get the experience of living on campus without the price of a 4 year college. We have a great JC in our area (Napa), but my son wanted to take that first step in living away from home. He didn't have a planned major, so a JC made sense and this one fit on many levels, especially with the dorms.
That being said, my son had to apply in May of the 2011 for a spot in the dorms starting in August 2011. There was a waitlist and we literally didn't get notified he got in until the day before move in. So getting a spot in the dorms has to be planned for well in advance.
Perhaps Bryce choosing Sierra wasn't so much about being as far from home while still in CA, but rather he wanted a JC with dorms.

That seems like a very plausible possibility. Or he could have even just been walking a lap around the parking lot/building to stretch his legs while he waited. The only thing I can't understand is, why would he say he was sleeping if in actuality, he was using the bathroom or some such thing. There would be no reason to keep that a secret from his mom or the roadside assistance guy. I keep getting hung on up that. :p

Hello - I've been following these threads from the beginning as it has really resonated with me for a few reasons. I'm new to posting, so I'm not sure if the above quote will appear correctly.
My son lived in the dorms with Bryce and they were good friends. Watching my son worry has been hard, plus as a parent, with two kids away at college - you just worry about all the things that can happen.
I can speak to why my son choose Sierra and the process. This is one of the few Junior Colleges that have a dorm, so the kids get the experience of living on campus without the price of a 4 year college. We have a great JC in our area (Napa), but my son wanted to take that first step in living away from home. He didn't have a planned major, so a JC made sense and this one fit on many levels, especially with the dorms.
That being said, my son had to apply in May of the 2011 for a spot in the dorms starting in August 2011. There was a waitlist and we literally didn't get notified he got in until the day before move in. So getting a spot in the dorms has to be planned for well in advance.
Perhaps Bryce choosing Sierra wasn't so much about being as far from home while still in CA, but rather he wanted a JC with dorms.

Thanks, that sounds very plausible. Do we know, anyone, if Bryce did indeed live in a dorm?

Welcome to Ws.

Also, I guess I can see leaving his computer and phone behind, if he wanted to take off and not be traced, but why leave his wallet?

This is partly why the lake is such a concern for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member