CA- California firefighter arrested for allegedly starting 5 wildfires, Robert Hernandez, 38, was arrested by Cal Fire LE Officers

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Knox

Reaction score
The fire apparatus engineer, Robert Hernandez, 38, was arrested by Cal Fire Law Enforcement officers at a fire station in Mendocino County, California, on suspicion of "arson to forest land," according to a news release from the agency.

Hernandez is suspected of starting five separate fires on purpose, while off duty, between August 15 and September 14, the release said. All the fires were in Sonoma County.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of firemen starting fires. Wow, in poor California too. I dread hearing about a California wildfire, California gets lit up with fires. Insurance companies are pulling out of insuring homes there.

Joseph Wambaugh wrote an excellent book about a fire captain/arson investigator who started lethal fires in California.

From your article:
The National Volunteer Fire Council noted there is no national data collection system for firefighter arson cases, according to a 2016 report.

"Without an official source for data on firefighter arsonists, researchers, fire service leaders, and investigators are forced to extrapolate based upon samples of known cases," the report said. "A survey of news articles suggests that over 100 firefighters a year are arrested for arson."

BBM What the heck? That’s crazy.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of firemen starting fires. Wow, in poor California too. I dread hearing about a California wildfire, California gets lit up with fires. Insurance companies are pulling out of insuring homes there.

Joseph Wambaugh wrote an excellent book about a fire captain/arson investigator who started lethal fires in California.

From your article:
The National Volunteer Fire Council noted there is no national data collection system for firefighter arson cases, according to a 2016 report.

"Without an official source for data on firefighter arsonists, researchers, fire service leaders, and investigators are forced to extrapolate based upon samples of known cases," the report said. "A survey of news articles suggests that over 100 firefighters a year are arrested for arson."

BBM What the heck? That’s crazy.
John Orr, I read that book! He was an arson investigator in SoCal.

John Orr, I read that book! He was an arson investigator in SoCal.
Yes! John Orr. It’s been a while since I read it, but wow it was engrossing and I remember thinking WTF a lot. The grandma and her little grandson in that hardware store was awful. What a monster.

It’s baffling to me that there isn’t anyone keeping track of how many firemen are caught committing arson, because there sure are a lot of them.

The name of the book is Fire Lover for anyone interested in reading it. It won an Edgar Award for best true crime in 2003.

Yes! John Orr. It’s been a while since I read it, but wow it was engrossing and I remember thinking WTF a lot. The grandma and her little grandson in that hardware store was awful. What a monster.

It’s baffling to me that there isn’t anyone keeping track of how many firemen are caught committing arson, because there sure are a lot of them.

The name of the book is Fire Lover for anyone interested in reading it. It won an Edgar Award for best true crime in 2003.
I think there is a logical reason that so many arsonists are fire fighters. I think it takes a special kind of person to decide to make a career of fighting fires. You have to be brave and fit for sure. But I think it also can attract fire bugs---people who enjoy watching fires. And it is hard to differentiate the firebugs from the firefighters sometimes.

Just like the police academy can attract 'bullies' instead of those aiming to 'protect' and serve, imo.

There is a great Podcast called "Firebug" about John Orr. I highly recommend it.
(Ok, there WAS a podcast freely available a few years ago. Now looks like you have to subscribe to The Binge+. Maybe other places still have it.)

Yet another firefighter being the CAUSE of what already plagues California - so awful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatD
Back