Cora Lucindy Stokes
  • cora_lucindy_stokes_1.jpg
Stokes, circa 1951

• Missing Since06/02/1951
  • Missing FromShasta County, California
  • ClassificationMissing
  • Age39 - 40 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 135 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Stokes has scars on her left elbow and near her left eye.
Details of Disappearance
Stokes was last seen in Shasta County, California on June 2, 1951. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.
Investigating Agency
Source Information

glad websleuths has a place for these cases..old ...but not forgotten......cora has scars around her left eye and on her left elbow....... hope you get answers

I just came across this one and thought I would have a quick look to see why she may have been removed from Namus. Whilst I cannot be definitive I think there is a good chance she simply moved. Lucindy is an unusual name and there is one set of records on Ancestry which fits this case. Lucindy Coral Campbell, born 10 May 1910 in Hampton Tennessee, married Alonzo Stokes in 1948. They lived in Modoc County, relatively close to Shasta County in the far north of California in 1950. Alonzo was also a worker who moved between timber and farms up there so it would be no surprise if they were in Shasta or if they moved on without notice. If this is the right Cora Stokes she lived to 1972 when she died in Grants Pass, Oregon with Alonso remarrying in 1974 and dying in 1979. All of this is evidenced by records and obituaries on Ancestry. To me the conjunction of names (Lucindy Coral), dates (1910 birth) and location in the far north of the state make the case compelling but not certain. If it is right it seems like a classic case of fairly mobile agricultual workers moving around and somehow ending up on a missing report. I hope that is the case as it would mean there was no bad ending.

Good find alb1on! Found the newspaper article from the time she disappeared. Interesting (from Ancestry) Alonzo was 28 years her senior.

12th July 1951

1663457314847.jpeg

I did check the actual image of the census on Ancestry and they had misread it in the transcription! He was actually born 1904. Happens all the time on Ancestry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back