GUILTY CA - Cynthia Hernandez, 18, Glendora, 26 Aug 1976

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Suspect in 1976 murder of Glendora woman is a no show in Friday court hearing

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-news/20160909/suspect-in-1976-murder-of-glendora-woman-is-a-no-show-in-friday-court-hearing

A court hearing for a man accused of killing a Glendora woman 40 years ago was continued to next week.

Larry James Allred, the suspect in the 1976 disappearance of 18-year-old Cynthia May Hernandez, was a no-show at his hearing Friday at the San Bernardino Justice Center due to a medical issue.

Allred, who turned 62 Friday, was taken to a hospital. Authorities were told he fell while getting on the bus used to transport inmates.

The judge continued the hearing to Tuesday. Some witnesses for the prosecution are scheduled to testify at the hearing.

Also, I missed the part previously about Cynthia's remains being found.

Detectives would not reveal what led them to pinpoint Allred as the suspect in Hernandez’s disappearance and killing. Glendora police said her remains had been found in San Bernardino County, but officials would not say when and where the discovery was made.

RIP Cynthia

Walnut felon pleads guilty to 1976 murder of Glendora woman

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20160916/walnut-felon-pleads-guilty-to-1976-murder-of-glendora-woman

Gloria Densham waited 40 years to hear the words uttered in a San Bernardino courtroom Friday.

The 81-year-old woman’s daughter, Cynthia May Hernandez, went missing in 1976. The 18-year-old from Glendora left her home to go see a horror movie at a Covina theater, and disappeared.

Now, a 62-year-old felon from Walnut — who has been in prison since 2013 after pleading guilty to importing and selling counterfeit, collectible Disney pins — has admitted to killing Hernandez.

Though Allred must wait to be sentenced on Oct. 17 at the same courthouse, and while 1976 laws will make him eligible for parole in seven years, the judge at Friday’s hearing did not equivocate about what the man’s guilty plea would mean.

“This is a life sentence,” Judge Richard V. Peel told Allred.

Deputy District Attorney Denise Yoakum asked the court to release Hernandez’s bones to the family so they could bury them.

Densham wants to bury her daughter in Glendora. And she plans to be there when Allred comes up for parole in seven years.

Man sentenced in 1976 cold case murder - Press Release

http://www.sbcountyda.org/Newsroom/PressReleases/2016/Mansentencedin1976coldcasemurder.aspx

Larry James Allred was sentenced to state prison today for the 1976 murder of 18-year-old Cynthia May Hernandez.

San Bernardino County Superior Court Judge Richard V. Peel sentenced 62-year-old Allred to 7 years to life in prison.

Last month, Allred pleaded guilty to one felony count of first degree murder. According to California law in 1976—at which time the crime was committed—the maximum sentence Allred can serve is 7 years to life in prison.

“Thanks to great investigative work of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department and the Glendora Police Department, we were able to identify the suspect who murdered young Cynthia forty years ago,” said District Attorney Mike Ramos. “They never gave up. While Cynthia’s family will never have the chance to see her again, hopefully, they can find some comfort in knowing her killer is locked up in prison where he belongs.”

zachary briley's is too and he was found deceased in a waterway in long beach, and zillabell friesen is too and she was found deceased near her car and it was thought a bear got her. I think sometimes someone drops the ball.

in this case though I don't think they released that her remains were found initially and I think wherever they found her implicated this guy.

Her profile is still active in Namus.

Seeing as how this guy worked with another man to rape that girl in 74, are we sure he is the only killer? How did they find out who thekiller was?

But that's not all. This guy is heinous and deserves more than life, in my opinion. Read the full article: http://glendoracitynews.com/2016/04...harge-suspect-in-glendorans-cold-case-murder/

Here is just an excerpt from it:

"y April 2016, prosecutors with the county’s District Attorney’s Office had charged Allred with killing Hernandez. The missing woman’s remains had been found, but the department would not say say where, when or under what circumstances the discovery was made.

Authorities also have not revealed how Allred became their suspect.

'It would be inappropriate to comment on anything pertaining to the evidence at this time,' said Christopher Lee, spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office.

In 1975, Allred was convicted of kidnapping a woman at gunpoint in San Bernardino County and raping her..

In 1978, while on parole, he was convicted of kidnapping two girls, ages 16 and 17, and raping them over a seven-day period,
according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

In 2013, Allred was sentenced to eight years in prison for illegally importing Disney pins from China and attempting to sell them over the internet . . .."

I don't know for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet that he served the most time for the illegal importing.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Ahhh. California. Could it be any warmer or fuzzier towards criminals?

CA is not necessarily warm and fuzzy toward criminals, other than the DP taking long to be executed or applied. It is a travesty that he served more time for the illegal import, however that was recent and the sex offenses were in the 70’s. a lot has changed since the 70’s in regards to views on sex crimes. He would have served a lot longer had he been caught in recent years.

But that's not all. This guy is heinous and deserves more than life, in my opinion. Read the full article: http://glendoracitynews.com/2016/04...harge-suspect-in-glendorans-cold-case-murder/

Here is just an excerpt from it:

"y April 2016, prosecutors with the county’s District Attorney’s Office had charged Allred with killing Hernandez. The missing woman’s remains had been found, but the department would not say say where, when or under what circumstances the discovery was made.

Authorities also have not revealed how Allred became their suspect.

'It would be inappropriate to comment on anything pertaining to the evidence at this time,' said Christopher Lee, spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office.

In 1975, Allred was convicted of kidnapping a woman at gunpoint in San Bernardino County and raping her..

In 1978, while on parole, he was convicted of kidnapping two girls, ages 16 and 17, and raping them over a seven-day period,
according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

In 2013, Allred was sentenced to eight years in prison for illegally importing Disney pins from China and attempting to sell them over the internet . . .."

I don't know for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet that he served the most time for the illegal importing.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Ahhh. California. Could it be any warmer or fuzzier towards criminals?

When will the police release info about what happened to Cynthia? The case is over now.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-news/20161017/family-of-glendora-teen-killed-in-1976-confront-killer-before-life-sentence

Allred admitted he committed three more rapes for which he was never caught, and told detectives he liked to hunt his victims. Detective Patty Ruiz of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Homicide Detail said those victims have not been found.

“‘The hunt’ was the more gratifying part of the act,” Ruiz said. “Our county is where he would take them.”

In 1976, Allred lived in Hacienda Heights and owned an auto detailing shop in West Covina, according to Deputy District Attorney Denise Yoakum. He didn’t know Hernandez.

“He pulled up next to her in the (theater) parking lot. He had a knife,” Yoakum said. “He forced her into the back of the pickup.”

Allred told authorities he put the knife down to tie up Hernandez. The teen fought back.

“He panicked and strangled her,” Yoakum said.

Allred wouldn’t say if he raped Hernandez. Yoakum said Allred drove to the San Bernardino Mountains where he buried the body in a shallow grave across the road from his family’s cabin in Twin Peaks.

On Oct. 14, 1976, a dog dug Hernandez’s skull from the grave near the Allred family cabin. The dog’s owner saw the skull between the animal’s paws and turned it over to authorities, Yoakum said.

“After searching around the graveside and not finding anything else, I went back to the cabin which was being searched,” he said. “I crawled underneath the porch. That’s when I found the bones.”

But police were unable to connect Allred to Hernandez’s disappearance, and it took until 2009 for the skull and rib bones to be connected through a DNA test. After the test, the victim remained a Jane Doe, and her DNA was put in a database.

By December 2014, Amaro said investigators matched Hernandez’s DNA to the remains found at the Twin Peaks cabin. They met with detectives in the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department the next month.

I don't think there was a thread on here for the UID.

The Doe Network

Hot Case 2169 (Identified) /NamUs 2505
Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered on October 15, 1976 in Twin Peaks, San Bernardino County, California.
Estimated Date of Death: 1970-1976.
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissue.
Cause of Death: Unknown.

Case History
The victim's skull (no mandible) was found by a vacationer in a mountain cabin in Twin Peaks.

“Jane Doe #13-76” had probably been buried at least a year (possibly six years or longer).

its crazy she completely decomposed in 2 months or less.

I don't think there was a thread on here for the UID.

The Doe Network

Hot Case 2169 (Identified) /NamUs 2505
Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered on October 15, 1976 in Twin Peaks, San Bernardino County, California.
Estimated Date of Death: 1970-1976.
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissue.
Cause of Death: Unknown.

Case History
The victim's skull (no mandible) was found by a vacationer in a mountain cabin in Twin Peaks.

“Jane Doe #13-76” had probably been buried at least a year (possibly six years or longer).

Investigators have not specified if they believe Larry Allred might be responsible for more homicides but with everything coming out, it seems more likely that he was.

http://www.mountain-news.com/news/article_8730d65e-9bd0-11e6-affe-5fff2bb764a3.html

Jerome “Punch” Ringhofer, who served as Twin Peaks station commander at the time, played an important role in solving the mystery puzzle. He spoke with the Mountain News about the Twin Peaks part of the story.

It goes back to 1977 when Capt. Ringhofer received a telephone call from a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s detective.

“I was contacted in the last week of November (by the detective) asking if I would go up to the cabin and look around,” Ringhofer said. “Detectives went out there and found (Larry Allred’s) younger brother and a girlfriend, and took them back to the station” for questioning.

Roughly a year earlier, a dog had dug up a human skull from an area near the Allred family cabin which the dog’s owner later gave to authorities, according to San Bernardino County Deputy District Attorney Denise Yoakum.

Ringhofer said that according to Allred’s crime partners, Allred had killed and buried girls out at the cabin not far from Grandview Road.

“I’m wandering about the cabin, wondering what can I do,” Ringhofer continued. “On the west side, closest to Grandview Road, there was a porch, maybe six to eight feet long going east to west. It had the usual stuff, pine needles and oak leaves. I crawled under there, and the first thing I see are five rib bones. I grabbed them and crawled back out.

“What did I think? I had a gut feeling that his crime partners were right, that he had killed people up there. I suspect Larry Allred knew his brother was coming up, and I suspect he (Larry Allred) just threw them (the ribs) under the cabin.”

Ringhofer said the Twin Peaks cabin still exists, although it’s been modified quite a bit.

“It was just woods when it happened 40 years ago; now there are houses up there,” he told the Mountain News. “There could still be bodies up there, we just don’t know. But a search was done.”

As of August 2016 Larry Allred has been charged with the murder of Cynthia May Hernandez. They have not divulged what evidence led to the arrest as far as I know, but he has been charged.

As of August 2016 Larry Allred has been charged with the murder of Cynthia May Hernandez. They have not divulged what evidence led to the arrest as far as I know, but he has been charged.

He pleaded guilty to the murder. After he was sentenced last month, they released more information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back