CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe EAR and Visalia Ransacker were friends/associates. That would explain the different description of both and how they both have the same M.O.

I've lurked here a little while, and have been following this case since 2003 when I saw it on A&E's 'Cold Case Files'. It's really what got me into online 'sleuthing'. To me it's as perplexing and fascinating as Zodiac, or Jack the Ripper, both of whom effected fewer lives. I appreciate the info folks have posted here, some is new to me. I'm not sure if everyone here knows, but there is a site run by a guy who's sister was stalked and who was a major participant in the old A&E board. Its ear-ons.com and has a good list of the crimes, maps and other info about the case. People have mentioned Quester. If you're not familiar, he is an author known as Gian Quasar, who has a site dedicated to mysteries, some crimes and some things like bigfoot. He's an unusual guy with and unusual approach. He seems to have settled on a poi who's initials are RP (one of two RPs associated by some), but he hasn't really produced a definitive line of evidence about his poi. The interesting thing (to me) is that he posted several videos on YouTube where he walks known or likely paths used by ear-ons in his stalking. It's creepy, but give interesting insight about his habits and possible origins. You can use Gian Julian Quasar as a search. Not trying to promote the guy, not sold on his analysis, but it is a good watch.

I grew up in Sacramento walking all those paths, living and working all over the Sacramento area in the 1970's. I believe the man came from Sacramento. He struck 4 blocks from where I was in attack 32. I have studied the case for a very long time. I talk about the origins of this criminal in my book. I believe going back to the beginning is what needs the most attention. Thanks for allowing me in your discussions here. Thanks Snow leopard.

I have all the books written on Ear/Ons, I am anxious to read yours. I am glad it is shipping sooner. It is sad that the deaths and rapes have gone unanswered.

Ear/Ons 5th victim speaks out how the rape has changed her life. She was the woman raped while her 3 year old son was home. “I think this is the year that he’s going to be caught,” she said, “You cannot give the rapist any more control than he already had over you. Because that’s what rape is all about, power and control.”

She wrote a book "Frozen In Fear" and is a host to survivor groups. She also talks to rapists in prison.

http://wsav.com/2017/04/07/rape-vic...e-with-california-serial-rapist-never-caught/

Now the Original Night Stalker case has become the Michelle McNamara story. Is there no focus anymore in the US?? I'm not American but boy the criteria has gone way way low in America today. Now we are going to have to take 2/3 of the biography of Michelle McNamara in the new Original Night Stalker case 48 hours special. She's also the one to credit for the beyond moronic and revisionist "Golden State Killer" moniker.

Now the Original Night Stalker case has become the Michelle McNamara story. Is there no focus anymore in the US?? I'm not American but boy the criteria has gone way way low in America today. Now we are going to have to take 2/3 of the biography of Michelle McNamara in the new Original Night Stalker case 48 hours special. She's also the one to credit for the beyond moronic and revisionist "Golden State Killer" moniker.

Guessing they are poaching the killer and the people who may know him, from various angles.speculation.
This is former Ws member Michelle's thread.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?305874-True-Crime-Writer-amp-Blogger-Michelle-McNamara-dead-at-age-46&highlight=Michelle+McNamara
True Crime Writer & Blogger Michelle McNamara dead at age 46

How is it possible for this guy to get missed? How did he seem to be everywhere and almost "all-knowing "?
LE even checked out other LE, wondering if they also questioned people who might have advance information about operations, perhaps someone working in the media, like photographers ect.?
speculation, imo.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article85174522.html
Marcos Breton

June 21, 2016
More than 6,000 suspects were checked and eliminated by authorities, including many sheriff’s deputies. At one point there were 34 investigative officers on the case. And yet one man – believed to be white, around 6 feet tall, with blonde or light brown hair – got away with it.

“We had set up traps on the phones of victims, and he called the one who didn’t have a trap on her phone,” said Carol Daly, who retired as Sacramento

Daly remembers how she and her colleagues would hold community meetings to ease fears and answer questions. At one meeting, a man stood up and berated law enforcement and, by extension, the victims of the East Area Rapist. Daly remembers the man saying he didn’t think it was possible for an intruder to break into a home without someone fighting back.
Not long after, someone broke into that man’s home and assaulted his wife, Daly said.
“I know the rapist was at that community meeting,” said Daly, now 76.
All these years later, Daly said the case is never far from her thoughts. She’s become lifelong friends was some of the victims. She’s seen some of them recover, while other family members were consumed by the crimes. Marriages dissolved in the aftermath of the attacks. It’s been 40 years, but the memories are right there.
“It’s there all the time, it’s always there,” Daly said.
When law enforcement leaders gathered last week to announce the $50,000 reward, Daly said she was gratified. “Someone has to know something,” she said. “A wife. A mother. Someone.”

So far the only promo for the show revolve around her. This is way bigger than that.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to watching the whole show!
http://www.cbsnews.com/48-hours/
ALL NEW | SATURDAY, APRIL 22 | 10 P.M. ET/PT Sneak peek: The Golden State Killer

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/sneak-peek-the-golden-state-killer/

[/URL]
April 19, 2017, 6:07 AM| True-crime writer Michelle McNamara was obsessed with finding the man who terrorized California for a decade -- until her own death last April. Her husband, comic Patton Oswalt, reveals the driving force behind McNamara's quest to unmask a killer. Tracy Smith reports Saturday, April 22 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

Michelle McNamara worked hard on this case. She deserves some recognition. I hope that someone can finish her work soon.

Michelle McNamara worked hard on this case. She deserves some recognition. I hope that someone can finish her work soon.
The detectives on the case worked way harder than she did and nobody is making this case into their biography special.

The detectives on the case worked way harder than she did and nobody is making this case into their biography special.

Here is one of them.
Published on Apr 1, 2017

78-year old retired detective Richard Shelby discusses his continuing Hunt for a Psychopath known as the East Area Rapist - Golden State killer. Shelby reveals that nobody with law enforcement currently working the case has sat down with him or communicated with him regarding the origin of the investigation
[video=youtube;5_bUl0b-UoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bUl0b-UoA[/video]

Transcript from 48 hours.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michell...elentless-search-for-the-golden-state-killer/
April 22 2017
Larry Crompton: He would walk through the area just like a normal person, so nobody would notice him.

Crompton tells the story of a white man of average height and slim athletic build, in his early 20s, who stalked his victims before striking, though they never knew it.
Larry Crompton: Would go in the house when the people weren’t there and set that house up. And he would leave a window unlocked or a door unlocked so that he could go in.

Michelle learned the rapist would also hide toolsfor his attack.

Larry Crompton: One thing that the rapist would do is leave shoelaces or whatever to tie people up with.

When the rapist returned to attack, he’d come armed with a knife or gun, wearing a ski mask and gloves.
Tracy Smith: No fingerprints.

Larry Crompton: No fingerprints. …He would blindfold the victims. And -- after tyin’ them, he would take a towel and tear it up and use that for a blindfold.
Within a year, the rapist crisscrossed Northern California, striking 22 times. A few sketches were released, based on brief glimpses by eyewitnesses on the street as he got away every time. That knack for avoiding capture haunted Michelle.

Anne Marie Schubert: He struck so often, he hit so many times, it was so frequent.

Today Anne Marie Schubert is the District Attorney of Sacramento County. But back in 1976, she was just a local 12-year-old.

Anne Marie Schubert: I have very vivid memories of what -- what he did to this community. Because it was so significant. It really changed Sacramento County.
Anne Marie Schubert: He had complete control over this community. And he thrived off that. He thrived off the media attention.

In fact, he took cues from the press. Initially, he’d only attacked women who were alone. But then…

Larry Crompton: The newspaper mentioned that he had never hit a place with a man in the house.

Tracy Smith: And that –

Larry Crompton: He read that –

Tracy Smith: --was a challenge to him.

Larry Crompton: That was a challenge. And that’s when he started with the men.

Immediately, the rapist started targeting couples. And he adjusted his MO as he went. After waking the pair, he’d insist the female tie up the male.
Paul Holes: That diagram is a brainstorming session of somebody trying to figure out how to lay out a parcel of land. …So this tells me, this is somebody that has an association with the development, building or real estate industry.

“I definitely think that there’s something about the housing thing that seems interesting. There seemed to be a lot of new houses around where he hit and a lot of houses for sale.” -- Michelle McNamara

why didnt they mention he had a small penis it sounds strange but it could be important clue and what about him crying in some of
the attacks and the facts hes a non secretor

I listened to a clearer recording of the killers phone call to one of his victims. There is so much noise in the background that might identify where he was calling from. Does anyone know if the FBI has had the background sounds enhanced?

[video=youtube;KvcmgDRtcEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcmgDRtcEk[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member