CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be the least bit surpised if EAR/ONS/GSK moved to somewhere on the east coast, therefore was not connected to the west coast crimes he committed. The lack of cooperation between PDs back then really interfered, especially from state to state. It would create an environment ripe for SKs to move about the country undetected. Thank goodness for advances in forensics.

http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/a-portr...his-surviving-victims?sky=soc_dg_fb_CrimeTime
This article was on my Facebook feed.
Something just jumped out at me. ( about him ripping sheets down the middle)
I'm a novice quilter. So many tricks, and techniques, and terms. Ie. Straight of grain. Things that not only quilters would know, but other textile industry people. ( I still have a hard time understanding that one).
One thing that stands out and that is very clear this guy has serious mother issues. His tearing sheets down the middle makes me wonder if maybe Mother had some kind of work, or business that entails the technique of tearing fabric in such a way that it does not all unravel, and is something that takes some good knowledge, and experience. Yet is so simple once you really learn how to do it.
Somewhere, somehow along the line this guy learned that technique.
That one very odd quirk he has. Just sticks out to me. Could it be what leads to unraveling the very fabric of his identity?

http://www.oxygen.com/blogs/a-portr...his-surviving-victims?sky=soc_dg_fb_CrimeTime
This article was on my Facebook feed.
Something just jumped out at me. ( about him ripping sheets down the middle)
I'm a novice quilter. So many tricks, and techniques, and terms. Ie. Straight of grain. Things that not only quilters would know, but other textile industry people. ( I still have a hard time understanding that one).
One thing that stands out and that is very clear this guy has serious mother issues. His tearing sheets down the middle makes me wonder if maybe Mother had some kind of work, or business that entails the technique of tearing fabric in such a way that it does not all unravel, and is something that takes some good knowledge, and experience. Yet is so simple once you really learn how to do it.
Somewhere, somehow along the line this guy learned that technique.
That one very odd quirk he has. Just sticks out to me. Could it be what leads to unraveling the very fabric of his identity?

Back in the day it was not uncommon to use ripped strips of sheets to wrap stage lighting cables and tie with a easy to undo bow.
Very effective for traveling band crews to coil snakes of cables with the sheet strips, toss into the truck and move on to next gig and so on.

Have sometimes wondered if Ears was exposed to or involved with stage crews of some type or another, film/tv/theater/music, due to his possible climbing ability, unusual hours, awareness of sounds ie dishes on victim's back, and dramatic voice effect, ie scary voice on phone, that plus knot tying.
If he was the V shooter, accurate aim at a moving " target " might suggest a good spotlight operator.
speculation, imo.

Back in the day people ripped up material (sheets, towels, ect) to use for all kiinds of things. Rags to wash the car or whatever. I don't think that was uncommon.

Back in the day people ripped up material (sheets, towels, ect) to use for all kiinds of things. Rags to wash the car or whatever. I don't think that was uncommon.
HIS quirky habit is weird,and uncommon to say the least.
I get the feeling he did learn this from Mother. Who had an image to uphold. Image was everything to Mother. Imho
I get the feeling this is a quite prominent family, with a big business. Mother used textiles maybe as a side business, to help bolster bigger business, and He was expected to help out, and tow the line. In all manner of this business. I feel like she was extremely hard on him.
Have done a little research,and found some pretty interesting connections. That would explain a lot of other things too. Like military connection. Moving around quit a bit. A family members death at a certain time that could have triggered some rage.
I could be wrong, but that just about smacked me in the face.

Yeah, I agree, VR looked too dark to me, and nothing like any of the other sketches.

This investigator is pretty sharp, he had already tracked down one guy with the same name who still lived in the south bay and was approximately the right age. I don't think he had made contact yet, or what happens now, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if he does.

I wanted to ask him more questions, but he was doing the asking. He wanted to know why it took me two weeks to get in touch with him. After 40 years I didn't think two more weeks would matter, and I didn't want to waste his time if I could find something in that book that would rule him out. Plus I was on vacation. Then he wanted to know what I was doing on Websleuths and how I found it. I told him about that whole thing at work and then seeing the sketch on Paula Zahn's show. Looking for more information and googled. I assume there are still records to back up everything I said.

He even wanted a better description of the ski mask - what kind of material, were the eye holes sewn-in or cut? Given the amount of details he asked for even though it's probably not the guy is what makes me hopeful that they'll uncover something that will solve it.

Wow, I hope that your contacting the authorities leads to an arrest in this long cold case. He really needs to be identified! The victims and their families have waited a long time for justice.

Has anyone here read Anne Penn's book Murder on His Mind? She lived and grew up in the area during the time of the EAR. If anyone has read it can you tell me if it's worth purchasing? Thanks!

Has anyone here read Anne Penn's book Murder on His Mind? She lived and grew up in the area during the time of the EAR. If anyone has read it can you tell me if it's worth purchasing? Thanks!

I bought it, no it's not worth buying.

Is it safe to presume Ears sewed one of the face hoods?
Not many young guys sew, or whip up food in the kitchen as did Ears at some of his victim's homes.
Maybe someone will eventually remember a guy like that or those ski masks.
Wonder if he still has them?
imo, speculation.
https://globalnews.ca/news/2767248/...ear-old-manhunt-for-california-serial-killer/
attachment.php

The killer often wore ski masks like the ones shown here in evidence at the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department (FBI handout).

Authorities said if he is still alive, the killer would be approximately 60 to 75 years old. He is described as a white male, close to six feet tall, with blond or light brown hair and an athletic build.

Investigators are urging the public to provide law enforcement with any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Attachments

• killer1.jpg
    killer1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 256
I think this may have been mentioned before, but there will be an episode of "People Magazine Investigates", season 2, devoted to EAR/ONS/GSK next Monday nite a 10:00 on ID. Let's hope it shakes the tree.

A Class Ring, Fine China and Silverware: Police Release New Clues in Hunt for Golden State Killer

The Golden State Killer -- also known as the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker -- is believed to have committed 12 murders, 45 sexual assaults and 120 residential burglaries between 1976 and 1986 from Sacramento to Orange County, California.

For the first time, police are releasing, exclusively to PEOPLE, details of the items such as a China set and a Lycoming College class ring that the killer stole from his victims.

http://people.com/crime/golden-state-serial-killer-gallery-new-evidence/the-golden-state-killer

Some of the stolen items:
attachment.php

1965 Lycoming College Class Ring, Solen in Carmichael

The Golden State Killer stole a woman's 1965 Lycoming College class ring in 1976 in Carmichael, California.

The gold ring with a blue stone depicted in the photo is a men's version of the stolen 1965 class ring from the Williamsport, Pennsylvania college.

The original ring is more narrow, with a smaller engraving and a smaller stone. "Warriors" is also inscribed on the side of the ring.

attachment.php

Ruby Ring, Stolen in Sacramento

A woman's size, 4.5 ruby ring was stolen by the Golden State Killer in Sacramento in 1977. The filigree style white gold band has yellow gold bows on each side and a square cut ruby stone.

The picture and sketch are depictions of the stolen ring, but are not exact.

attachment.php

Noritake Polonaise China Set

Fourteen place settings of Noritake Polonaise China were stolen from a rape victim of the Golden State Killer's in October, 1978, in Concord, California.

The victim had purchased the china set from Macy’s at the Daly City mall for $1,172 just four months before the attack.

During the same attack, the Golden State Killer also stole 14 settings of the Reed and Barton Majesty silverware and a Reed and Barton Butter dish.

Attachments

• golden-state-killer-ring.jpg
    golden-state-killer-ring.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 180
  • evidence-bug-11.jpg
    evidence-bug-11.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 178
  • china-set-composite.jpg
    china-set-composite.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 178
Interesting. I had never heard about these dishes. I know at one point he was taking things which sounded like he was setting up a home but I had't heard about this nice china. I bet he still has this in his home.

He stole a full set of china and silverware? They must have been sitting on this for years. I'm glad this is getting out, hopefully someone will recognize something that will crack the case. Can't wait til Monday night.

I think this may have been mentioned before, but there will be an episode of "People Magazine Investigates", season 2, devoted to EAR/ONS/GSK next Monday nite a 10:00 on ID. Let's hope it shakes the tree.
Thank you! I hadn't heard. Going to set the DVR now.
This case both fascinates and scares me deep down to my core.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Attachments

• evidence-bug-4.jpg
    evidence-bug-4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 180
They should have made this public and spread it widely back when he was commiting the crimes. It really could have helped then. Now I'm not so sure.

Just throwing this out there, but is this " spoon " ring the same design as the silver wear stolen by EARS?
s

Nah. The ring has that hole near the tip of the handle, the tip itself is narrower and pointier, and there's scalloping on the curved bows on either side. Not a match.

Its probably on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member