CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact they didn't know he was a cop is very odd. Why would the mother lie to her daughters?
Why not say he used to be a cop?
How much did she know?

Well, for one thing, then he would have had to tell them that he got fired for shoplifting. I'm pretty sure that was something he didn't like to talk about.

I don't think she helped him. However, he was alleged to have spend considerable time at the crime scenes. I am very curious to know how he explained his many absences to his wife, and if she happened to notice that crimes were taking place on the nights that her husband went out in the middle of the night. Maybe he told her that he had insomnia, and needed to go for a drive to get back to sleep. Maybe he told her that he had to fill in for someone on the third shift who called in sick. Who knows... I wonder if she will allow herself to be interviewed at some point.
:cow:

I agree. Since he compartmentalized, so completely, his life, a wife might ......MIGHT have known nothing of his activities. ( other than she maybe perceived that he was deceitful, perhaps having affairs, as other Posters have written.)

GSK might never have brought his "crime toolbox" home with him (for example: weapons, dog repellent, "trophies", etc.). He probably had self-storage facilities, lockers, or storage sheds, etc. somewhere, up and down those highways and/or canals, he frequented. GSK may have locked up all his criminal-activity-belongings in other residences, even, throughout Northern, and then, Southern California (esp. those missing years between his years of employment that we know of.)

Whom did he do business with, during those years? Do those people, acquaintances, associates, business partners know the locations of any of his "workshops", his real-estate, ...along the way, ... which GSK might have owned/rented?

As many on this forum have stated: There should be justice for every one of those victims. It is good the "lid is off" of this now. So, the REAL investigative process has begun.

LE can now follow up on any alias' names which GSK might have used, (or, his own real name, in different locales.) They can figure out where those storage facilities are, if they exist. (esp. in Southern CA., when he supposedly visited family at times). And what about the boats he had over the years? Are there other boats that are moored, somewhere, or, in dry-dock, under his name, or a pseudonym? There has to be a lot of evidence somewhere, even if it is hidden away,........ very smartly.

Hopefully, LE can sort it all out, and trace GSK's movements over those long time periods.

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but have a look at the comment by "JD" in the first few comments on Michelle McNamara's article for Los Angeles Magazine. Could it have been Joseph DeAngelo himself? As an aside, Michelle was one brave woman to put her name to this article and to work on that book.. who knows what he could have done.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/in-the-footsteps-of-a-killer/

“JD’s” discus account is closed so we can’t search his comments.

Yes, so far only possible crimes in '73. Thanks to you and Rancher for the corrections. So, all the known crimes at this point attributed to JJD occurred during his marriage.
Is it known what line of work he did after being terminated from the APD until his job with the grocery chain beginning in 1991?
I attended Sacramento State U. at the same time JJD did.....different majors/bldgs, though. In '79 I briefly worked at at Tower Books with a young very sweet girl who I later learned had been murdered, bludgeoned, in her home in the latter part of '79. She lived in N/E. Sac. Her murder was unsolved as of '85 when I last checked. I can't remember her name, but I am trying to connect with my old manager to find an update.

I'm so sorry about your coworker Mama.

Jeez....I'll say. The other two daughters "are very bright, beautiful"

Maybe the "the other two daughters" quote is just because those are the only two the person has met and talked to? Maybe just badly worded if they know nothing of the 3rd daughter?

But... GOOGLE. All they had to do was google him. This seems intellectually lazy, at best.

I wonder if they are googling him NOW?

What would have been available if they had googled him, BEFORE he was arrested?

I would find it hard to believe a decades old shoplifting record would come up in a google search.
I would also find it hard to believe that his former occupation would come up either.
In order to find this I think they would have had to go through newspaper archives.
All the posts I have seen are newspaper articles. It's not like the dude had a website.

What would they have done if they had found out he was a shoplifting cop?
"OMG THAT MUST MEAN HE'S A SERIAL RAPIST/KILLER!"
I don't understand the purpose of even wondering why they didn't know.

My Dad stole a cop car and was shot at by the rookie cop while drunk in the late 70's.
That doesn't come up in google and seems far more noteworthy than shoplifting.
He's had zero criminal charges since then and it's pretty irrelevant 40 years later.

Intellectually lazy? I strongly disagree.

Why would they have any reason to search for or care about what their father was up to before they were born, especially if it was never discussed in the household? And especially if they had zero reason to suspect him in these crimes??

Large, publicly searchable news clip databases are relatively new, and are often used for things like deep-dive genealogy research and investigative reporting. Why would his children be into that? It doesn’t seem logical to me, nor does it seem intellectually lazy.

Yes and those news clip databases don't come up in a google search.
You have to sign up for them and then search after that.
So they wouldn't have signed up for one if they didn't have any reason to do so.
I signed up for one to research my cousins cold case, never researched my dad on it.

I agree intellectually lazy seems pretty harsh. These ladies are an MD and PHD from my understanding.
FAR from intellectually lazy if they made it through the schooling for that.
I don't think knowing he shoplifted as a cop would have prepared them for him being a serial killer and rapist.
They aren't anything close to the same thing. :twocents:

Psychopaths or sociopaths are able to care about their children and do them no harm if they perceive them as an extension of themselves. Ariel Castro is one example.

Yes! This, exactly. You said it far more eloquently than I did. Thank you [emoji4]

Jeez....I'll say. The other two daughters "are very bright, beautiful"

I hate partial quotes. It doesn't look as if Holes is the source of "other" so who knows what he actually meant. Maybe he said "I don't know anything about this daughter, but I know of these two and they are very bright, beautiful, and successful." Or maybe he said "This one is a loser but the other two are very bright, beautiful, and successful." (I think more likely something closer to my first example than the second, but still! How can we know?)

The other two daughters "are very bright, beautiful and successful," said Holes.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/who-is-joseph-james-deangelo-the-ex-cop-suspected-as-golden-state-killer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ant-dumped-Golden-State-Killer-marry-him.html

First link confirms JJD worked as an intern at Roseville PD before becoming a police officer in Exeter. Also the article mentions working for Sierra Crane and Hoist Co of Newcastle but no dates are provided.

Second link provides some info re Bonnie and the rapes where he is reported to have said "I hate you Bonnie".

I’m sure more than one person has shared it — I said SecretAgentMan first shared it with me. I didn’t mean to imply that nobody else has posted it here, and apologize if that’s how it sounded.

And yes, it’s an excellent (but graphic) resource worth re-sharing as this case develops. ❤️

I’m posting this link again; I think SecretAgentMan first shared it with me, so hat-tip to SAM!!

There are summaries of each attack here, and they’re gruesome. (Obviously, but I feel a warning is necessary anyway.)

http://www.coldcase-earons.com/

ETA: the timelines here are very detailed, too.

I posted the link earlier as well and agree the timelines of the crimes are very well detailed and often therefore graphic.

Anyone know what day he was fired from Auburn Police Department?
EDIT: "September 1979" https://www.facebook.com/Auburn-Police-Department-CA-176232875813698/

EDIT: In his October 1, 1979 attack he mentioned money on several occassions, "I gotta have money," "I gotta have money. Don't look at me, mother****er. I gotta have money." Source: http://www.coldcase-earons.com/ons1.php

There were multiple times over the years where he would mention money in the attacks, yet he would leave money (and other obvious valuables) out in the open untouched.

I’m sure more than one person has shared it — I said SecretAgentMan first shared it with me. I didn’t mean to imply that nobody else has posted it here, and apologize if that’s how it sounded.

And yes, it’s an excellent (but graphic) resource worth re-sharing as this case develops. ❤️
No problem. It is easy to miss and duplicate links as the thread moves so fast.

I have never googled my parents. It never occurred to me to do so. I’m sure they’re googling now.

Come to think of it, you're right, they probably didn't; there are no doubt thousands of Joseph DeAngelo's in the world. And he wouldn't have been in the first few pages, as he is now. I have a rare last name, so googling my parents didn't bring up thousands of hits.

I google everything and everyone. If it's a common name, though, it's a waste of time.

So sad. I am one of three daughters, myself, with a... challenging father. I can't even imagine how this has imploded their perceptions of their world and themselves. I appreciate how Holes went out of his way to say they are all "bright, beautiful, and successful." A classy and sensitive thing to do. I don't think he meant to leave anyone out.

I know and remember both of my parents work history because I find it interesting to know. I'm sure most people are interested in that.

I have a feeling that both parents lied to their children about DeAngelo's work history. I wonder why the mother didn't tell the kids the truth after she and their father where estranged? JMO

I know and remember both of my parents work history too, but I don't think that any of my brothers or sisters know, or even care. I remember for my mother's funeral, my sister and brother provided the information about my mother's life that was read at the funeral. 90% of it was not even true. They didn't know, so I guess they made it up.

Anyway I don't think they told their kids, because then they would have had to tell them that he was fired from the police department, for shoplifting. I doubt he talked much about that.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/who-is-joseph-james-deangelo-the-ex-cop-suspected-as-golden-state-killer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ant-dumped-Golden-State-Killer-marry-him.html

First link confirms JJD worked as an intern at Roseville PD before becoming a police officer in Exeter. Also the article mentions working for Sierra Crane and Hoist Co of Newcastle but no dates are provided.

Second link provides some info re Bonnie and the rapes where he is reported to have said "I hate you Bonnie".
It’s been reported that DeAngelo’s stepdad worked at Sierra Crane so that may be what’s causing the confusion.

There are detailed accounts of each attack at coldcase-earons. I’ve been reading and paying particular attention to the description of events that are outlined in the “Immediate Aftermath” section of each numbered attack. The more I read the more it becomes apparent that law enforcement was either totally inept or actually covering for who we now know is DeAngelo.
http://www.coldcase-earons.com/attack-list.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member