Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday, May 2nd:
*Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - Joseph James DeAngelo (72) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape of ; did not enter plea. Also faces charges of 2 counts of murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura. Next court hearing May 14th.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather's) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
JJD's mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. Responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. It's also believed the serial killer also slew Alexandria Manning, Dr. Robert Offerman, Patrice Harrington, Keith Harrington, Manuela Witthuhn, Cheri Domingo, Gregory Sanchez, Janelle Cruz, and possibly Claude Snelling. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.

Kapua said:
The population in Auburn in 2010 was 13,330, according to Wikipedia. I've been there a few times. It's a very cute, small town.

I was one of those 13,330 people living there! And you're right - very cute and small town - I loved living there!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/who-is-joseph-james-deangelo-the-ex-cop-suspected-as-golden-state-killer

Another article going into the media thread. This one states he worked for Sierra Crane in Newcastle only 5 miles from Auburn. They don't have dates.

Anyone else remember seeing that he painted the cranes and paint may have been found at some CS? I can't remember where I saw that so that bit will have to be :cow: FTB.
Here’s the link about the paint evidence. http://www.coldcase-earons.com/paint.php

JJD was born in New York. Wonder if he ever traveled back?

Sacramento Bee (Sept 2013)

"In reviewing crime reports from other agencies, he said, investigators discovered traces of paint were found in two rapes and one of the homicide scenes in Irvine, evidence believed to have come from the suspect in all three cases. As a result, he said, investigators are exploring the possibility that the suspect may have come to the area to work at a construction site, possibly as a painter."

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article2578864.html

And paint mentioned here:

"One potential clue to the killer’s identity was a screwdriver with five types of paint found near where Cruz was killed."

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/06/17/40-years-later-fbi-reopens-original-night-stalker-case/

Just because he used it as an excuse to be absent from work, doesn't mean he actually suffered from it. It is a lot less likely for his supervisor to disprove than the flu or a sore throat, much easier to fake.

Exactly.
IMO, he didn't suffer from vertigo.

I believe this is one of the most intriguing stories on this site. I also believe there are many more crimes waiting to be connected to him.

But that was in 1977, while he was still a cop. What are chances he had a second job, while also being a prolific rapist/burglar/stalker?

MOO

A lot of cops have legitimate second jobs. It would be good to see what he put on his CV to get that Savemart truck mechanic job. I bet he didn't list the shoplifting at Pay n Save.

When you are off sick in the U.S. don't you need to provide a doctor's certificate?

Not sure.
I am not American, so I don't have any idea how doctors notes and the such work down there.
Here in Canada, doctors notes cost money so no one really gets them unless they are needed for insurance purposes.

American employers typically have a policy regarding sick days. Most of the places I've worked require a note from a doctor for absences of three consecutive days or more, and they can also request one in other circumstances like "excessive absences" or whatever. The note usually just says, "flourish was seen in my office on Monday May 1st" or "flourish is advised to be on bed rest for this many days," or "flourish is restricted to lifting no more then ten pounds due to a medical condition."

We pay for the appointment, not the note, and some doctors will do a note without an office visit, depending on history and situation. Like last winter I had a horrible infection which was very painful so at one point I emailed my doctor and he faxed something to my employer so I wasn't required to perform one certain duty due to pain and the possibility of a rupture kinda thing. HTH

Taken from the link to the ship's history shown below.

In March 1960 Canberra began an eight-month cruise around the World, operating with both the Seventh Fleet in Asian waters and with the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean. Canberra made two six-month deployments to the US Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea leaving Norfolk in February and returning in September of 1962 and another in 1963. She took part in the Cuban Quarantine in the fall of 1962 and, in October 1963, was transferred to the Pacific Fleet. The Vietnam War soon became the focus of her final half-decade. Conducting her first combat deployment since the World War II, she spent the first several months of 1965 off Southeast Asia. A second Vietnam deployment followed in February-June 1966 and a third lasted from October 1966 until April 1967. During these operations her six remaining eight-inch guns were extensively employed for shelling enemy positions in both North and South Vietnam.Bombardment duty dominated Canberra's next two war tours, in October 1967-April 1968 and from September 1968 to January 1969. This gunnery emphasis, plus the outdated nature of her "Terrier" guided missile system, caused her reclassification back to a heavy cruiser in May 1968, when she regained her original hull number, CA-70. Canberra's missile launchers and guidance radars were removed in 1969, following the end of her last Vietnam cruise. Soon thereafter, in October 1969, she arrived at San Francisco, California, to begin inactivation work. Decommissioned in early February 1970, USS Canberra was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in July 1978 and sold for scrapping in July 1980.

http://www.usscanberra.com/shiphistory.htm

When you are off sick in the U.S. don't you need to provide a doctor's certificate?

Throughout my career I never had to produce such a thing. It may be required at certain levels of employment, or certain companies? I do know of others that had to produce such if they were going out for medical leave and using their disability insurance such as short-term or long-term insurance, but otherwise where I worked in my jobs throughout my career that never had to be produced.

quoting myself..Have we been able to place him anywhere from 1978-1986 for job or living arrangements?

78 - 79 still in Auburn living and working as LEO till dismissal.

79 - 83 Possibly living in Long Beach and working for Crane construction company but

83-86 living in Citrus Heights. Possibly working for his stepfather in Newcastle for the crane construction company otherwise unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishbl