CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/amp/abc7.com...d-to-kill-police-chief-who-fired-him/3423803/

Interesting! Just to further expand on his behaviour around his 1979 firing. Sorry if it's been posted already. I can't keep up with this thread!

I wonder how investigators know this?

[FONT=&quot]The former Northern California police chief who fired suspected "Golden State Killer" Joseph DeAngelo said investigators told him the accused serial killer had come to his home one night to kill him.[/FONT]

okIn Hunting a Psychopath Ch.47th mentions victim Donna and her bf heard a woman's voice, someone honking a getaway car outside and tapping on the bedroom window during the crimes.
Then again Ch. 53. A man and woman couple pretending to be Morom's visited the victim's house prior to the attack.

possible accomplice.

I wonder how investigators know this?

[FONT=&amp]The former Northern California police chief who fired suspected "Golden State Killer" Joseph DeAngelo said investigators told him the accused serial killer had come to his home one night to kill him.[/FONT]

Here's a link to a fascinating interview with Paul Holes. If go to 15:03, he states what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1gni1gGvk

okIn Hunting a Psychopath Ch.47th mentions victim Donna and her bf heard a woman's voice, someone honking a getaway car outside and tapping on the bedroom window during the crimes.
Then again Ch. 53. A man and woman couple pretending to be Morom's visited the victim's house prior to the attack.

possible accomplice.

Do they Know or Suspect the couple was pretending to be Mormons
?

Do they Know or Suspect the couple was pretending to be Mormons
?
Good question and how did they ascertain they weren't? Although, Mormon missionaries are always in pairs or threes of the same gender. There are missions for couples, but that's for like retired people and they don't go door to door proselytizing like the young ones. Maybe they were Jehovah's witnesses or something.

Here's a link to a fascinating interview with Paul Holes. If go to 15:03, he states what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1gni1gGvk
So basically during Holes recent investigations he met with the chief and the chief told him that story. Whether they took the threat seriously or the chief did anything about his daughter saying she saw a man is not explained at that part of the interview if at all.

He wasn't in Exeter was he during those years? ('68 -'73) I thought he was at Sacramento University prior to joining Exeter PD and at Sierra College before then, with the Navy '64 - '68 ?

Eta - I haven't seen the podcast so don't know the attacks that you are referring to but if they are in the Rancho Cordova area then he would not have been living far from there while he attended the state university approx '70-'73.

Correct Shiressleuth! Yes, the very first newspaper article they read out in this podcast is an article talking about how JJD was visiting his sister in Exeter. His sister lived in Exeter during the time frame of all of these newly discovered crimes (from September 1970 - 1972)

What I was saying was that everywhere JJD went, the same kind of crimes followed him. Up until last year the only real argument was whether his crimes began in 1976 as the EAR or in 1974 (with a little bit of activity in 1973 that could have been related) as the VR.

Then last year, we heard about a large number of previously unknown crimes in Rancho Cordova in 1972 and 1973 where you correctly point up JJD was studying. They had so many of the same features we later saw in VR and EAR crimes, and in fact a 1976 EAR rape victim was the victim of a ransacking/burglary 3 years before her rape. The new episode seems to suggest JJD was also committing crimes in Exeter from 1970 through to 1972. It seems highly likely that he was driving back and forth between Exeter and Rancho Cordova during this time (during semester breaks and on weekends) offending in both communities. We would probably see evidence of similar crimes in other nearby areas to Exeter and Rancho Cordova such as how he was striking Visalia after moving to Exeter in 1973.

He seems to just have been completely unable to control his stalking, prowling, peeping, ransacking, breaking and entering etc... I doubt 24 hours in his life passed between at least 1970 and 1986 without him peeping, or conducting reconnaissance, or phoning a future or past victim.

We know that these types of crimes (eg peeping and prowling) usually begin when the offender is much younger than the 25 years old that JJD was in 1970 (indeed that's why most people assumed that the VR / EAR was a teenager when the crimes began)

I suspect that JJD was likely stealing underwear or peeping on neighbors as a much younger man, and had probably already begun breaking into homes much earlier than in 1970.

MOO.

So basically during Holes recent investigations he met with the chief and the chief told him that story. Whether they took the threat seriously or the chief did anything about his daughter saying she saw a man is not explained at that part of the interview if at all.

And it sounds like the chief has embellished a bit since then. For example, where did he get the part about JJD not being able to figure out which bedroom was his. Sounds like he’s been thinking about it and has worked out in his own mind what must have happened. But it does not sound like investigators told him that, as he said in the abc interview.

MOO

possible accomplice.
10-1-77
Victims Name: "Margarita Lopez" (17) and "Harvey Wescott" (21)
http://www.coldcase-earons.com/24.php

Good question and how did they ascertain they weren't? Although, Mormon missionaries are always in pairs or threes of the same gender. There are missions for couples, but that's for like retired people and they don't go door to door proselytizing like the young ones. Maybe they were Jehovah's witnesses or something.

I wonder if they suspect it was pretense because the couple only went to that one house.

10-1-77
Victims Name: "Margarita Lopez" (17) and "Harvey Wescott" (21)
http://www.coldcase-earons.com/24.php

Playing devil’s advocate here...
This could still be JJD putting on a show. It says he went into the kitchen. What is the proximity of the garage to the kitchen? Could he have gone into the garage and honked the car’s horn? Some houses have a doorbell on the entry door from the garage into the house. Did they have one? And again, some have suggested he has a higher pitched voice, so if he was pretending to hold a conversation, maybe he could have made it sound like he was talking to a woman.

MOO

About 1 AM last night I started down my stairs to get a drink. Through the window I saw a reflection of a man at the bottom of the stairs and stopped dead in my tracks...It was my son who normally would be asleep. I don’t care how big and bad you think you are that’ll give you a heart attack while following this case.
My heart goes out to the victims. I so hope his arrest gives them a calming peace.

Playing devil’s advocate here...
This could still be JJD putting on a show. It says he went into the kitchen. What is the proximity of the garage to the kitchen? Could he have gone into the garage and honked the car’s horn? Some houses have a doorbell on the entry door from the garage into the house. Did they have one? And again, some have suggested he has a higher pitched voice, so if he was pretending to hold a conversation, maybe he could have made it sound like he was talking to a woman.
Since he wasn’t present when the commotion occurred I though the same thing. It looks like during this caper the EAR came close to meeting his demise.

How would a victim know that a horn honking outside was a "getaway car" and not a car next door or across the street simply honking at traffic or honking for another neighbor to come to the car?

These victims were usually blindfolded and terrified. How could their testimony not be affected by that terror/injury?

I have not yet seen anything that makes it clear that JJD had any help whatsoever.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/golden-state-killer-stopped-murder-spree-investigator/story?id=54906116
Why 'Golden State Killer' may have stopped murder spree: Investigator

• By Bill Hutchinson
May 3, 2018, 4:05 PM ET
Retired Det. Paul Holes, who investigated the case for decades, says in an interview to air Friday on ABC's "20/20" that he believes fear of being confronted by a combative victim caused him to halt the attacks after the murders of Cheri Domingo and Gregory Sanchez on July 27, 1981, in Goleta.

And Holes said lust is likely the reason the killer struck again on May 4, 1986, with the rape and murder of Janelle Lisa Cruz in Irvine.

"I believe what ended up happening were two things: In 1981, he ends up going into kill Gregory Sanchez and Cheri Domingo. And he gets in a physical fight with 6-foot-3 Gregory Sanchez. And I think that physical altercation with Sanchez scared him. We don't have an attack for five years," Holes said in the interview.
"At this point, he's an aging offender," Holes said. "And so, he is no longer in that prime where he's now going out as frequently as he wants, naturally due to his age."

But Holes said "it is possible, but I think it's relatively unlikely" that the killer continued his reign of terror after he targeted Cruz.
"Finally I got to see the face of the man that I've been hunting for 24 years," Holes of DeAngelo's arrest. "I can now read these case files and visualize Joe DeAngelo committing these acts, as opposed to this nameless masked man."

I wonder if they suspect it was pretense because the couple only went to that one house.
Perhaps. Older missionary couples, while they don't do door to door stuff will meet with "investigators," which is what they call a potential member. However, if that were the case the person being visited would likely have contacted the church to initiate meeting with missionaries so that seems unlikely here, too.

Interesting

Can we get a shout out for Detective Paul Holes!
Thank you Mr. Holes.
Thank you for your compassion to bring justice for the victims, your diligence and hard work.
You sir should be Times Man of the Year.
Much respect.

My impression is that he only now has found out JJD was trying to kill him; maybe he connected the dots with the daughter's story about the flashlight, or LE told him. Do you really think he would do nothing back then if he "knew" that JJD was trying to kill him?

I think he has remembered the flashlight incident and put two and two together recently. Certainly, if he knew then it was JJD, for sure he would have been brought in surely.
:cow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member