CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are but there's a spree from Cordova (? can't remember exact location only that it's near where his sister was in college at) from about 1970-71 that he was possibly responsible for.

Do you mean the Cordova Cat burglaries? If so, there's a fair bit of material on those at the Proboards site and on Questerfiles:

https://questersite.wordpress.com/2018/03/22/the-cordova-cat-ears-prehistory/

NOTE: Not endorsing the site or theory, just posting an info source.

One of the difficult things I'm trying to wrap my head around is how to say where he was, where and when he lives with his sister, and where his wife was, when she was getting her law degree. I'm just scared it will be against TOS to put that information here, although I think it is invaluable. Perhaps we will have to look elsewhere because it is against TOS here?

perhaps a moderator could chime in to help us all out on this difficult situation as to how to sleuth this information for his location, without going against prying into his innocent family members as so much is not yet in mainstream Media or it has not been published here on the threads?

Hopefully we can find and link to mainstream media for all the things that we know now. And then it will not be an issue.

https://truecrimearticles.com/2018/03/13/visalia-ransacker-stolen-items/

This is a complete list of stolen items in the VR cases, whether he dropped or got away with them. It is available in the Wikilink that I have already posted so I think it is an acceptable source

Many piggy banks raided while cash was left, mainly female clothing and photos and often one earring of a pair was taken. Plus details of the weapons taken The weapon stolen and used in the next offence to murder Scnelling was found in a ditch 8 days afterwards.

His actions seem to be rage induced imo.

(Mods please delete if link not ok.)

He was known by several other names than the ones that have been posted the most on this thread, eg he was also known as the "Diamond Knot Killer" and the "Creek Killer"

There were some slight overlaps in the time-frames of some of these crimes, and evidence is emerging that JJD may have been responsible for up to five separate crime series.

5. Original Night Stalker: 1979 - 1986
4. East Area Rapist: 1976 - July 1979: (though he almost certainly committed one rape on the 21st of October 1975)
3. Visalia Ransacker: - 1974 - December 1975
2. Eight months ago, the Sacramento Sheriff's department discovered a series of crimes quite similar to the Visalia Ransackings that took place in Rancho Cordova and the East Area of Sacramento during late 1972 and 1973.
1. The most recent edition of the podcast 12-26-75 seems to have found a whole range of crimes that were happening in Exeter (where JJD's sister was living) from 1970 - 1973, that seem very similar to the Rancho Cordova cat burglar AND the Visalia Ransacker.

There are probably many dozens (or hundreds) of burglaries, prowling and peeping incidents etc... dating back to the 1960's that investigators haven't found evidence of yet. There will probably also be some rapes and murders prior to 1975 that we aren't aware of yet.

The reason why I don't believe JJD committed any more rapes or murders after 1986 (when he was 41 years old after all) is that there are always tell-tale signs of his pathology in his crimes. He always stole coins, and stamps, conducted extensive prowling, made phone calls to the victims both before and after the attacks, was obsessed with piggy-banks, targeted the daughters and partners/wives of successful businessmen etc...

Even though he kept moving around California and kept TRYING to change his MO, he couldn't help but leave clues behind at every scene. And once he lost his physical prowess he almost certainly lost the will to try another attack where he had more chance of being caught than of being successful.

He switched from hot prowl burglaries, to masturbating in the bedrooms of girls in Visalia, through to rape and finally murder, but all the way along the spectrum you see the same compulsive behaviors over and over again.

I suspect he would have kept up creepy behaviors such as stalking women and making obscene phone-calls for as long as he possibly could - one victim believes he called her fives time in 2017. But once he felt he could no longer outrun a police officer giving chase I suspect he abandoned the rapes and murders following Janelle Cruz in 1986.

My own opinions.
Thank you for showing the timeline of events. Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I looked last night and this morning through the Sacramento Bee archives for 1972-1973 and honestly couldn't find any stories about rashes of burglaries in the Rancho area. The archive site doesn't have the best search parameters so you have to wade through a lot of stuff.

Anyone here want to give it a try? Send me a private message regarding access.

Not sure if it is posted anywhere, but what religion was GGK , did he go to a special school for that religion, or went elsewhere?
Is GGK a known church-goer, what about his victims, are most from similar religious/ethnic backgrounds?
speculation.

I looked last night and this morning through the Sacramento Bee archives for 1972-1973 and honestly couldn't find any stories about rashes of burglaries in the Rancho area. The archive site doesn't have the best search parameters so you have to wade through a lot of stuff.

Anyone here want to give it a try? Send me a private message regarding access.
There is this bit..
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...ked-to-rash-of-rancho-cordova-cat-burglaries/
Now for the first time publicly, investigators are also linking the East Area Rapist to another crime spree in a Rancho Cordova neighborhood, where there were some 30 cat burglaries in the early 1970s.

In one incident, a suspect entered a home and a woman, armed with a gun, confronted him. A shot went off, and the burglar left.

Where can I find Det. Holes official report on these crimes? Are his findings and opinions coming from a book or an interview? Someone else’s book?
I’d like to read his words myself. If anyone has links I’d appreciate it.

Here is a fascinating interview with Paul Holes.... absolutely AMAZING!!!

I am just finishing up listening to the Criminology podcast through the Apple podcast app. The first season was on Zodiac and the second season on the GSK. I highly recommend. Every crime this did, every rape and murder is gone through with meticulous detail, interviews etc. Before listening I didn’t have the full scope of the terror he inflicted, and the horrific, sick things he did. Although I am usually against the death penalty, I hope they give it to him and that his trial is torturous for him.

A article about the VR in the LA Times today describes the 1975 incident in which the VR, was nearly caught. The version of events according to McGowen, that allowed the VR to escape is described in the excerpt below.

“That night in December 1975, McGowen watched as a shadowy figure prowled between the home he was hiding in and the house next door. McGowen ran outside and ordered the man to stop, according to media reports at the time. The suspect ran, and after McGowen fired a warning shot, he begged the officer not to shoot.
As McGowen shined his flashlight at the unmasked man, the suspect reached for a gun in his jacket and took a shot, police said. The bullet hit McGowen's flashlight, and shards ricocheted into his eye. The man fled.
The shooting was the final crime attributed to the Visalia Ransacker, Visalia Police Sgt. Damon Maurice said.”

IMO, a quick draw shot hitting the flashlight without also hitting McGowen, is way beyond an anomaly, and the fact that the VR only fired once seems odd. It’s not clear what the distance between them was but the possibility of McGowen, recognizing DeAngelo, as a fellow police officer and allowing him to escape is well within the realm of possibilities.

Link to Times Article.
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-visalia-ransacker-20180507-story.html

Link to video interview with McGowen.
http://abc30.com/video/embed/?pid=3393354

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/th...killers-suspected-joseph-deangelo-crime-spree
May 7 2018
[h=1]The Timeline Of The Golden State Killer's Suspected Crime Spree[/h] by Gina Tron
1973-1976

During these years, DeAngelo worked as a police officer in Exeter, California.

Summer 1976

The FBI believes that the killer’s spree possibly began in the eastern district of Sacramento County with a series of home burglaries and rapes.

June 18, 1976

Police believe he raped a woman in Rancho Cordova.

1976-1979
DeAngelo then transferred to work as a police officer in Auburn. He was later fired from the job for allegedly stealing a hammer and a can of dog repellent. Below is a photo of him working as a cop in Exeter from the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office.
July 17, 1976

He raped a teen girl in Carmichael.

Aug. 29, 1976
There was a burglary and attempted sexual assault in Rancho Cordova.

Sept. 4, 1976
He raped a woman in Citrus Heights.

Oct. 5, 1976
He raped a woman in Citrus Heights. This victim identified herself as Jane Carson-Sandler at CrimeCon in 2017 and said that when she was sleeping with her 3-year-old son, she awoke to a masked man with a butcher knife standing above her bed, shining a flashlight in her eyes. He blindfolded, gagged and tied both of them up and sexually assaulted her.

Oct. 9, 1976
He raped a woman in Rancho Cordova.
Oct. 18, 1976

He struck twice this day. A woman was raped in Carmichael and another in Rancho Cordova. There was also a carjacking in Carmichael that police believe the Golden State Killer was behind.

Nov. 10, 1976
A woman was raped in Citrus Heights.

Dec. 18, 1976

A woman was raped in Carmichael.
Jan. 19, 1977
A woman was raped in Sacramento.
Jan. 24, 1977

A woman was sexually assaulted in Citrus Heights.

Feb. 7, 1977

A woman was raped in Citrus Heights.

March 8, 1977

A woman was raped in Sacramento.
March 18, 1977
He raped a teen girl in Rancho Cordova. According to Michelle McNamara's book "I'll Be Gone In The Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer," the teen was returning home from her part-time job at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Her parents were out of town and from their room, a man in a green ski mask emerged with a hatchet. Before attacking the teen, he taunted police with a phone call in which he said: "I have my next victim already stalked and you guys can't catch me,” according to KGO-TV in San Francisco.

April 2, 1977
A couple was attacked in Sacramento, and the woman was raped. Typically, he’d rape the tie up a couple and rape the woman. Sometimes he piled dishes on the man’s back and warned him that if it falls off he’d kill him.
April 15, 1977
Another couple was attacked, and the woman was raped, in Sacramento.
May 3, 1977
He attacked a couple in Glenbrook, Sacramento, raping the woman.

May 5, 1977
In Orangevale, a couple was accosted outside their home.
May 14, 1977
A couple was attacked in Citrus Heights. The woman told the New York Times that they were both tied up and that the killer had a knife to her throat to rape her. She said he stayed in their home for hours, drinking beer. He also stole her wedding ring and photo ID.

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/th...killers-suspected-joseph-deangelo-crime-spree
May 17, 1977

In Carmichael, he attacked a couple and raped the woman. By this time, attacking couples became his MO.
May 28, 1977
He attacked a couple in Sacramento. The woman was raped.
Sept. 6, 1977
In North Stockton, he attacked a couple. He raped the woman.
Oct. 1, 1977
In Rancho Cordova, he attacked a couple. He raped the woman.
Oct. 21, 1977
He attacked a couple in Antelope. He raped the woman.
Oct. 29, 1977
He attacked a couple in Sacramento, raping the woman.
Nov. 10, 1977
He attacked a teen girl in Sacramento.
December 1977
The Sacramento Bee, a local publication and Sacramento's mayor received letters from a person claiming to be the East Area Rapist, according to KGO-TV. The creepy letters included a poem entitled "Excitement's Crave" which included the line: "Sacramento should make an offer. To make a movie of my life that will pay for my planned exile."
This year marked the Golden State Killer’s habit of calling previous victims to taunt them and threaten them. Some of these calls continued past the year 2000.
Jan. 28, 1978
He raped a pair of sisters in Sacramento.
Feb. 2, 1978
These are what police believe are the Golden State Killer’s first murders. Husband and wife Brian and Katie Maggiore were walking their dog in the Rancho Cordova area of Sacramento when they were shot to death. Brian was 21 and Katie was 20. It wasn’t until 2016 that investigators tied their murders to the East Area Rapist. For years, police thought there were at least two different attackers. Even though this marked the first time he elevated his crimes to murder, it marked the last crimes in the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department’s jurisdiction. DeAngelo has been CHARGED with their murders.
March 18, 1978
He attacked a couple in Stockton and raped the woman.
April 6, 1978
A woman was raped in Rancho Cordova.
April 14, 1978
A teen was raped in South Sacramento.
June 5, 1978
He attacked a couple, raping the woman, in Modesto.
June 7, 1978
He raped a woman in Davis.
June 23, 1978
He attacked a couple, raping the woman, in Modesto.
June 24, 1978
He attacked a couple in Davis. He raped the woman.
July 6, 1978
He raped a woman in Davis.
Oct. 7, 1978
He attacked a couple in Concord. He raped the woman.
Oct. 13, 1978
He attacked a couple in Concord. He raped the woman.
Oct. 28, 1978
He attacked a couple in San Ramon. He raped the woman.
Nov. 4, 1978
He raped a woman in San Jose.
Dec. 2, 1978
He attacked a couple in San Jose. He raped the woman.
Dec. 9, 1978
He raped a woman in Danville.
April 5, 1979
He attacked a couple in Fremont.
June 2, 1979
He raped a teen girl in Walnut Creek.
June 11, 1979
He attacked a couple in Danville. He raped the woman.
June 25, 1979
He raped a teen girl in Walnut Creek.
July 5, 1979
He tried to attack a couple in Danville but they were able to abort the attack.
Oct. 1, 1979
A couple in Goleta woke up to an extremely disturbing break-in: an intruder changing “I’ll kill ‘em.” He tied up the couple with a roll of twine and when he left the room, the woman screamed. Because that triggered an alarm he fled on bike. The couple’s neighbor, an FBI agent, heard the nose and chased him. At some point the killer dropped the bike and a knife and ran away through neighborhood backyards. His shoe print was later linked to other attacks.
Dec. 30, 1979
On December 30, Dr. Robert Offerman, 44, and Dr. Debra Alexandra Manning, 35, were found shot dead at Offerman's condominium in Goleta. Paw prints from a large dog were found at the scene, according to Los Angeles Magazine. Police believe that the Golden State killer broke into the adjoining residence, to steal a bike which was found abandoned a few blocks away.
March 13, 1980
Charlene, 33, and Lyman Smith, 43, were bludgeoned to death inside their Ventura County home after someone broke in in the middle of the night, according to Cold Case. He was about to be appointed a Ventura County Superior Court judge and she was a home decorator. They were attacked as they slept in their bed. Charlene was raped before she was killed. As police investigated their murders, Charlene’s lover was once suspect. A business associate of Lyman, was also a suspect. He was even arrested and charged with their murders after a minister claimed he had confessed to him. Eventually, he was cleared and the double murder went cold. Sixteen years later, a detective suggested that it may have been the same killer from the other three crime scenes because of how their hands were bound and other similarities — bludgeoning and a break in in the middle of the night.
Aug. 19, 1980
Patrice, 28, and Keith Harrington, 24, were murdered in their Dana Point home. Like with the Smiths, Patrice was raped before the murder. The couple had left a window open, according to Cold Case. They were described as a quiet couple and police scrambled to find any suspects, people who would have wanted to hurt them. Within three months, the case went cold. DeAngelo has been CHARGED with their murders.
Feb 26, 1981
Manuela Witthuhn was raped and bludgeoned to death inside the bedroom of her suburban Irvine home. She was 21 and her husband was hospitalized at the time of her murder, which cleared him as a suspect. She was bound by her hands and feet before she was murdered.
July 27, 1981
Cheri Domingo, 35, and Gregory Sanchez, 27, were murdered in Goleta. Cheri was house-sitting for her aunt and Gregory was her ex-boyfriend. They both worked with computers. Their deaths marked the last incident for several years. A man with a German Shepherd was allegedly spotted around the time they were killed, according to Los Angeles Magazine. Cheri's daughter Debbie Domingo-McMullan has become a vocal advocate for victims and families of victim's of the Golden State Killer.
May 4, 1986
Janelle Lisa Cruz, an 18-year-old woman, was raped and bludgeoned to death in Irvine. She was home alone while her family was vacationing in Mexico. Her sister Michelle Cruz has become an active YouTuber and advocate for catching the Golden State Killer.
Semen samples from three of the crime scenes (Cruz, Harrington, and Witham) were compared and profiled against each other. Criminologists extracted DNA from the semen because she saw similarities in the attacks, according to Cold Case.
The FBI offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the Golden State Killer.
Michelle McNamara died suddenly at 46 before she could finish her book on the killer. It was published in 2018 and has been credited with renewing interest in the case and possibly even cracking it.
April 25, 2018
Joseph James DeAngelo is arrested and officially named a suspect in the case.
Billy Jensen, a journalist, who contributed to Michelle McNamara's novel "I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer" is looking into DeAngelo's vacation history to see if there are any other potential crimes that could be linked to him. Jensen has reached out to the public for help

Apologies if already posted. Survivors attend Crime Con.

‘Sister Survivors’ Speak at Crime Con About the East Area Rapist

http://fox40.com/2018/05/06/sister-survivors-speak-at-crime-con-about-the-east-area-rapist/

Before a suspect was caught in the four-decade-old East Area Rapist case, some of the victims and their loved ones spent years searching for answers about the the elusive criminal who derailed their lives.

This weekend, the "sister survivors," as they call themselves gathered at the Crime Con Convention where FOX40 was able to speak to them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for clarification. He received his associate of Arts at Sierra College, and then in 1970 received his criminal justice degree at Cal State in Sacramento. In 1973 on May 18th he joined the Exeter Police Department. In-between that he did an internship at Rose ship.

Perhaps somebody else here can clarify the timeline better than I can. But I believe that he may have lived with his sister during the time he was down south In Exeter/visalia.

Gosh, I wish we had our own time line here because I'm starting to get confused also!
Graduated in June 1972 with degree from Cal State Sacramento.

" Crime Daddy "
http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/crimecon-hot-for-holes-golden-state-killer-investigator-paul-holes
All that hard work eventually lead to the arrest of Joseph DeAngelo, 72, on April 25. It also made Holes a bonafide hero and heartthrob in the true crime community.

At Crimecon in Nashville, Holes was a surprise guest on a Golden State Killer panel Friday and received a raucous welcome and standing ovation from about 2,500 people.

“I’m getting a lot of credit for this case but so many people were involved with bringing DeAngelo in,” Holes demurred to the crowd.

After decades of wanting to nail a suspect in the case, Holes really wanted to get him before he retired. Once he thought DeAngelo was the guy, he said he considered just walking up to his door and knocking. He'd explain he was digging into the case, and ask for a voluntary DNA sample.
“It was a good decision not to knock on that door, he’s got a dangerous mind,” Holes said at Crimecon. “Don’t believe this guy that you see being wheeled into court. That’s not who he is. He’s very capable at 72 years of age, and has numerous registered guns in his house. He’s been going to the range and keeping up his firearms proficiency, so who knows what would have happened at that front door.”

So … let’s see. Holes is smart, he’s hard working, and he’s prudent. And women have also noticed that he’s, uh, hot.

Attachments

• Dch6cKSX4AAL_-Q.jpg
    Dch6cKSX4AAL_-Q.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 45
I attended CrimeCon this last weekend, and went to 2 EAR/ONS sessions. They were with Billy Jensen, _______ (can't remember, Hayes?), Paul Holes and Jane Carson-Sandler (Victim #5), Margaret Wardlow (youngest victim) and Debbi Domingo-McMullan (daughter of murder victim). Can I just say the two sessions were wonderful! The victims got standing ovations the first session, Paul Holes did (of course!)...great experience for all of them! I couldn't help but think how much their lives have changed in a little over a week. They started out the first session with the presentations screens saying "CAUGHT." Jensen stated they had to throw out their whole presentation slide show after he got arrested. They were cool - didn't show JJD's face at all.

Little tidbits that you may or may not know (because I'm always catching up, having to read 3-4 days worth of lightning updates here, LOL)...it was news to me that the jerk lived in Auburn during the time he worked for Auburn PD. That was a surprise to many of us, hadn't heard that yet. Kinda just assumed he lived down near Citrus Heights, or Rancho C, or somewhere more towards Sac. Even Holes admitted that's what they thought. That he had been doing the initial attacks in his comfort area. Yes, he had lived in the Rancho area growing up, but it's not like he lived within a 2 mile radius of many of the attacks.

Holes said the issue with the "why" did he shoplift the hammer and dog spray...it's more of his belief it really was the thrill of getting away with it, more than anything such as not wanting a paper trail, etc. When he was arrested, they found numerous (a lot) of brand new items in his house that also were apparently stolen. It was the thrill.

Now they're able to investigate who JJD's 6th grade teacher was, to find out about those papers found (that and the development map), but he's now thinking it's possible that they weren't related at all.

Holes was allowed to watch the interrogation of JJD since his arrest, and said the whole act of acting out of it and in a wheelchair is all an act. No doubt. He said as he was watching hours of the interview, it was like you could see JJD forming his defense right in front of them. And he just laughed at the wheelchair. He said since they were surveilling him for days, he was going along just fine. He was working on making a table in his garage when he was arrested (someone yelled out, "that'll go unfinished" and everyone laughed). He listed woodworking on some interest list at somepoint, and Holes said that makes sense, and goes along with what he did while in the Navy. Again, kinda goes back to a good understanding of construction, etc.

Margaret talked about the diamond knot that he had made, and Paul basically said he's reviewed all the pictures of the knots, and they weren't anything really special.

Holes believes JJD stopped because in the last murder (Cruz), it wasn't easy, he wasn't in full control, and it scared him. That, combined with his age starting to negatively impact his physical abilities.

Holes said he had been playing around with the DNA for about 5 years, but it really started coming together about 6 months ago.

Billy Jensen and Paul made it clear that everyone is now actively trying to piece together the holes of where he lived, worked, etc. for missing years. They truly DO NOT know a lot about his travels. They're putting it out there, and now that they have a name and photo of the guy, they are having citizens sending info that's giving them more leads...but again, so many unknowns at this point. They don't know what prompted him to move to the different areas to attack. Missing pieces.

They were all very respectful of JJD's family members, talking about how hard this has got to be on them, their lives being torn upside down.

I can't think of much else, but Holes reiterated about how smart this guy really was. They did great Q and A's at the end of each session. I had to leave in the middle of the last one, just as it was getting good with questions/answers.

Just glad to see them doing well, the 3 ladies refer to themselves as "Sister Survivors."

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out!

A article about the VR in the LA Times today describes the 1975 incident in which the VR, was nearly caught. The version of events according to McGowen, that allowed the VR to escape is described in the excerpt below.

“That night in December 1975, McGowen watched as a shadowy figure prowled between the home he was hiding in and the house next door. McGowen ran outside and ordered the man to stop, according to media reports at the time. The suspect ran, and after McGowen fired a warning shot, he begged the officer not to shoot.
As McGowen shined his flashlight at the unmasked man, the suspect reached for a gun in his jacket and took a shot, police said. The bullet hit McGowen's flashlight, and shards ricocheted into his eye. The man fled.
The shooting was the final crime attributed to the Visalia Ransacker, Visalia Police Sgt. Damon Maurice said.”

IMO, a quick draw shot hitting the flashlight without also hitting McGowen, is way beyond an anomaly, and the fact that the VR only fired once seems odd. It’s not clear what the distance between them was but the possibility of McGowen, recognizing DeAngelo, as a fellow police officer and allowing him to escape is well within the realm of possibilities.

Link to Times Article.
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-visalia-ransacker-20180507-story.html

Link to video interview with McGowen.
http://abc30.com/video/embed/?pid=3393354

Absolutely no way imo. The interview and articles I linked earlier today make it clear what happened. McGowan went down and other officers went to his aid while the got away. McGowan's son is also interviewd. I think the thought he had killed McGowan - he almost did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishbl