Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210658154.html
Did the East Area Rapist have an accomplice? 'That is a possibility,' detective says

[FONT=&amp]May 07, 2018 04:48 PM[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Updated 3 hours 41 minutes ago[/FONT]

Did the East Area Rapist have an accomplice?
Maybe.
Detective Paul Holes, credited with coming up with the family-tree tracing method that caught suspect Joseph James DeAngelo last month, said Monday it's possible two people were involved in some of the crimes.
"Those of us who are familiar with the case files recognize that is a possibility," Holes said. "I've always just held open the possibility of a second person assisting in a few cases, but not being active through the whole series."
[...]

http://fox40.com/2018/05/01/man-from-1979-photo-with-joseph-deangelo-recalls-their-encounter/

@Shiressleuth

"DeAngelo was arrested for shoplifting and fired from the Auburn Police Department shortly after the photograph was taken, in the summer of 1979. That same year the East Area Rapists' crime spree traveled to Southern California."

Thanks I hadn't read that. He was already the VR and EAR in that photo then,with at least 3 murders and an attempted murder of a cop plus numerous rapes and break ins under his belt. That's chilling isn't it?

(Also, a reminder to all to put the articles in the media thread, too, so we will have easy access to them when a new thread is started.)

Did he have an accomplice?

If so;

Did the accomplice also escape on a stolen bike?

Why not steal both earrings, one for each of them?

Why only one DNA?

Why only ever one set of footprints?

Why did noone ever see anyone else?

I can't see it tbh.

:cow:

Regarding an accomplice--

I had a friend (in Sacramento) that was talked into going on a blind date with "this really nice guy." She went, it was ok, and while he was driving her home, he stopped at a 7-11 for cigarettes, telling her he'd just be a minute. He came out carrying the cigarettes and they left. They were pulled over before reaching her house--he'd neglected to mention that while in the store he'd pulled a gun and robbed the clerk.

Both he and my friend were arrested and tried for armed robbery. Even though she did everything possible to explain she'd never met him before, didn't go in the store, didn't know what he was doing, she was still convicted (lesser, don't recall what) and she lost her job.

So say JJD says--"can you pick me up at ____. I have to talk to this guy about ____." The friend is now an accomplice but truly knew nothing. Does he later speak up when he hears a crime was committed? If he does, he would also get charged and possibly also lose his job.

So there could have been "an accomplice" to a particular incident that didn't even know they were an accomplice, or know that he was a serial anything.

Just a thought.

This has likely been posted already - my apologies if that is the case - but wow, the descriptions of the Rancho Cordova Cat Burglar and the Cordova Meadows Burglar series of 1972-73 sure ring some bells for anyone familiar with the later VR and EAR series.

https://truecrimearticles.com/tag/sacramento/

Entering homes while the occupants were home sleeping
Spending inordinate amounts of time in the homes
Stealing lesser or novelty items while leaving more obvious valuables behind
Using the canal/drainage system of Sacramento for his approaches and getaways
Stopping/unplugging the furnace - likely to be able to hear approaching dangers better
Pre-planned escape from house with screen already removed or door already unlocked
Even dumping a bottle of codeine pills - something the EAR was to do at least once
The composite was strikingly similar to a later EAR composite
All the crimes occurred in what would be prime EAR hunting grounds a few years later

That's just a partial list. The linked article is very extensive.

These burglary series would have started just after Deangelo graduated from Cal State Sacramento in 1972, no? (I'll need to verify that.) Perhaps we are looking at a RCCB-VR-EAR-ONS series now, running from 1972 until 1986.

This is the case (81?) where the husband was in hospital IIRC. Some of these SoCal murders have a medical connection which cannot be ignored. Did JJD know her husband was in hospital because he was a patient himself or was he visiting someone in hospital or maybe even worked there. '81 was when his first daughter was born so perhaps that was why he was attending for his wife's pregnancy or perhaps his non-secretor status? A rare blood group so was he donating blood regularly?

To then make so many phonecalls to relive the experience - the calls must have continued into this millennium. Was that what prevented him from offending after '86, because he relived it by phone?

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210658154.html
Did the East Area Rapist have an accomplice? 'That is a possibility,' detective says

[FONT=&amp]May 07, 2018 04:48 PM[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Updated 3 hours 41 minutes ago[/FONT]

Did the East Area Rapist have an accomplice?
Maybe.
Detective Paul Holes, credited with coming up with the family-tree tracing method that caught suspect Joseph James DeAngelo last month, said Monday it's possible two people were involved in some of the crimes.
"Those of us who are familiar with the case files recognize that is a possibility," Holes said. "I've always just held open the possibility of a second person assisting in a few cases, but not being active through the whole series."
[...]

From the linked article...
Holes said the East Area Rapist may have been trying to control or confuse his victims by making it seem as if there were more than one assailant when in reality he was acting alone.

"He could have been talking to himself," Holes said.

That kind of manipulation could have been "part of his self-preservation," he said.
Holes believes if the East Area Rapist did have an accomplice, he is likely dead. "If there was a second person, I think (the East Area Rapist) would have just killed him," to prevent the possibility of being exposed, he said.

MOO

<snipped>
So there could have been "an accomplice" to a particular incident that didn't even know they were an accomplice, or know that he was a serial anything.

Just a thought.

And this unwitting accomplice didn’t watch or read the news? Didn’t know there was a serial rapist on the loose, who just happened to hit in the same neighborhood/house where they were, on the very night they were there? I don’t buy it.

MOO

I think he pretended that another person was there to throw LE off. Just like all the other things such as faking an accent, saying he had a van by the river ect.

Did he have an accomplice?

If so;

Did the accomplice also escape on a stolen bike?

Why not steal both earrings, one for each of them?

Why only one DNA?

Why only ever one set of footprints?

Why did noone ever see anyone else?

I can't see it tbh.

Driving the getaway car perhaps?

I had a friend (in Sacramento) that was talked into going on a blind date with "this really nice guy." She went, it was ok, and while he was driving her home, he stopped at a 7-11 for cigarettes, telling her he'd just be a minute. He came out carrying the cigarettes and they left. They were pulled over before reaching her house--he'd neglected to mention that while in the store he'd pulled a gun and robbed the clerk.

Both he and my friend were arrested and tried for armed robbery. Even though she did everything possible to explain she'd never met him before, didn't go in the store, didn't know what he was doing, she was still convicted (lesser, don't recall what) and she lost her job.

So say JJD says--"can you pick me up at ____. I have to talk to this guy about ____." The friend is now an accomplice but truly knew nothing. Does he later speak up when he hears a crime was committed? If he does, he would also get charged and possibly also lose his job.

Just a thought.

Absolutely- thank you! He could have told his friend or wife I need to go talk to so-so or pick up this. The hours however are really odd to stop by a friend's house!
But maybe he used drugs? Said I need to pick up some pot from...so-and-so?

And this unwitting accomplice didn&#8217;t watch or read the news? Didn&#8217;t know there was a serial rapist on the loose, who just happened to hit in the same neighborhood/house where they were, on the very night they were there? I don&#8217;t buy it.

MOO

You'd be shocked at how many people do not watch or care about the news. In Austin, a lot of people at SXSW did not there was a bomber running around for three weeks. I'm always shocked to find out that many of my friends knew nothing about the Green River Killer as it was happening, they were far too busy with college at the time.

I think he pretended that another person was there to throw LE off. Just like all the other things such as faking an accent, saying he had a van by the river ect.

That makes the most logical sense, but you never know he may have had a getaway driver at one time for a few crimes.

Stop with the speculation about the wife.

There is absolutely nothing to substantiate that she had any knowledge of JD's activities or that there is some deal in the works.

Bumpity bump bump
:bump:

Not really. He had already murdered Snelling and attempted to murder McGowan, a police officer in Visalia and murdered the Maggiores in Rancho Cordova hadn't he? I'll have to check the dates again. :confused:
(Yes just checked - the Maggiores were murdered in '78 )
So, as he had already murdered Snelling and the Maggiores, then additional murders to prevent identification and being caught became a necessity. You can only get the death penalty once. He nearly got away with it too.

He almost did get away with it.

Investigators believe JJD committed a series of two killings (three victims) prior to time he lost his job in 1979. I think think everything connected to the shoplifting incident absolutely enraged JDD, from being caught, tried and and convicted to being fired from his job as a police officer. In addition, there were multiple articles in the Auburn News about it, which would have probably added insult to injury.

It is said that when he was fired, he threatened to kill his boss. His boss (former boss) has stated after JDD was fired, a man was creeping around his house at night shining a flashlight in his windows after JDD was fired. At the time he didn't think it was JDD, but at the time he didn't know JDD was a violent criminal.

JDD was a killer by the time he lost his job in 1979 and he had committed many rapes/assaults prior to the time he was fired. But after he lost his job, things changed. He moved his operation south and he continued to rape/assault, but he also killed all of his rape/assault victims.

Perhaps it was progression that led him to kill all future victims, but I think the loss of his job was like throwing gasoline on a fire. JMO.

Driving the getaway car perhaps?

He always escaped on foot or by bike or along the dry Creek bed or via the river and canal banks. I don't think he was ever seen getting into a car. But if you have a particular example I may have missed it.

What is with this stealing only one earring? Anyone understand that?

His poor neighbors. Not only did they find out they’ve been living next to a monster all these years. Now they’re absolutely inundated with LE, press, citizen sleuths, and gawkers. But at least it’s probably about the safest neighborhood in America right now.

btw, I didn’t see anything on the roof, not visible from the street anyway. But there did seem to be an awning or aluminum cover on the side of the house next to the garage. (Not the ones the investigators put up.)

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member