CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He sure does look different over time. I would never have guessed the one with a mustache was him. There's one floating around when he was on the Navy ship that also looks like a different person.

I think the angle of the mug shot does not allow for a good comparison at ALL

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article85174522.html

During the initial investigation, the crimes caused local cops to become suspects themselves. The rapist had to be a cop, some felt, because he seemed to know exactly what the cops were doing.

He was strong, methodical, athletic and elusive. He exhibited military precision in the way he tied victims up quickly and efficiently.

A 1993 Sacramento Bee story detailed how even the lead investigators in the case had to provide saliva samples because the public had begun to believe that a rogue cop was committing these crimes while being protected by his fellow officers.

“Any of us would have turned in our own son, we wanted this guy so bad,” said Richard Shelby in the 1993 Bee article that marked his retirement from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.

“We had set up traps on the phones of victims, and he called the one who didn’t have a trap on her phone,” said Carol Daly, who retired as Sacramento County undersheriff in 2001, and was one of the original investigators on the case.

We're specifically talking about his photographs over time, not the sketches!

If you cover up his moustache in the cop picture while posing next to another cop & bat, IMO, he looks like his other cop pictures. He would gain & lose weight, that's why he looks different in most pics.

This is an interesting article from the 70's when he was a cop

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/19559710/officer_joseph_deangelo_catches/

He's leaving the police station at 1:45am.......is he leaving after 2nd shift to go home, or is he about to go out on patrol on 3rd shift?

According to the timeline of his crimes, his October 1978 itinerary was as follows:

October 7, attacked a couple in Concord
October 13, attacked a couple in Concord
October 28, attacked a couple in San Ramon

The incident in the newspaper article occurred on October 22. I guess he had no real plans for that night, or maybe it was a prowling/scouting night. However, it is interesting that he made the papers during what was a very busy month for him, with three known attacks.

I noticed that right from the beginning, his attacks very often fell on weekends, or at least late in the week (Thursday/Friday). I wonder if that wasn't just one more attempt at misdirection on his part, to try to convince investigators that he was working a regular 9-5 Monday-Friday schedule, rather than a police officer working shifts. Cops tend to be busier on weekends. So it would actually make more sense for his work schedule had he committed his crimes mid-week, when he was more likely to have time off. Yet we see the opposite. By concentrating his crimes on weekends, he may have been trying to throw the investigators off the idea that he was a cop.

Let's say the whole dna thing got GGK off the hook, unlikely, but if it did happen, guessing that he would at that point almost beg to be kept in jail.
Can you imagine what vigilantes would do to him if he was set free?!
speculation, imo.

Yes. I can imagine. I firmly believe that this will not happen, but in the highly unlikely case that it does, I don't believe the citizens of this great state would allow him to live out his days fishing. JMHO, and not advocating for illegal activity. Just saying.

:cow:

Historical tidbit:
The last lynching in California occurred in St. James Park in San Jose on the night of Nov. 26/morning of Nov. 27, 1933. Two individuals, John Holmes and Thomas Harold Thurmond confessed to the kidnapping and murder of Brooke Hart, son of the owners of Hart's Department store.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Hart#Overnight_lynching_26–27_November

If you cover up his moustache in the cop picture while posing next to another cop & bat, IMO, he looks like his other cop pictures. He would gain & lose weight, that's why he looks different in most pics.

I think he looks like a very creepy old guy in his recent mugshot. But in his younger pictures, I think he looks like a very generic white guy who is rather nondescript and who probably wouldn't attract any particular attention to himself when he was out on the prowl, looking for victims. Very scary!

Thanks Shiressleuth :)

This gives us a great chance to clear up another 'urban legend' about the case.

Several women described the offender's penis as larger than their partners / husbands. For example, in attack 11:

EAR did not have a micropenis.

I was under the impression that all of his victims claimed he had a very small/thin penis. Is this not fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he looks like a very creepy old guy in his recent mugshot. But in his younger pictures, I think he looks like a very generic white guy who is rather nondescript and who probably wouldn't attract any particular attention to himself when he was out on the prowl, looking for victims. Very scary!

Yeah, he looked so plain & generic when young, he wouldn't attract attention IMO, his hair was the generic style back then as well.

If he really looked like the surfer dude sketches, he would stand out. A guy with long hair hippy style stands out, & I couldn't understand why he wasn't caught if he had that look.

When they put up the 2 surfer dude sketches next to the guy next door look nicely cut hair parted to the side, I thought, this clean cut guy doesn't belong here, he's not threatening looking, & damn it if its not him. The Visalia Ransacker sketch resembles the Maggiore sketch a bit.

Ripon Court, where Rodney got a close look at the guy was surprising with the long hair surfer dude look.......I thought Rodney got the best look, but actually detective McGowan had given the best sketch.

Does anyone agree that JJD face/appearance really changed over the years? I look at available photos and almost have a hard time agreeing it's the same man. Clearly photography has had its upgrades since the 50s and lighting/shadowing changes appearances dramatically, but I can't help but think the shape of his face is bizarrely different, especially in the photo of him as a cop.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

No. His facial features have remained the same: nose, shape of mouth, ears, eyes. Two of the sketches looked accurate.

No. His facial features have remained the same: nose, shape of mouth, ears, eyes. Two of the sketches looked accurate.

I agree his facial features havent changed much. The mugshot shows him tilting back his head while the younger photos show him looking down all the time - that is what is a bit confusing.

This caught my eye. I was looking through CasefilePodcast's amazing PDF of incredibly thorough newspaper article collection on GSK (180+ pages). Was comparing some of the dates and articles to JJD's life events and general occurances.

Just as a reminder -- July 21, 1979 is the shoplifting arrest for the hammer and dog repellant.

This article was published in the Contra Costa Times on 12.10.78. ( I uploaded the images in reverse order so adjust and read accordingly). It is the last 'major' article, if you will -- as the next few on the East Area Rapist before he leaves to go South and become ONS -- are relatively short and focused on specific attacks. Although the shoftlifting happens seven months after this article is published, it seems possible that this article was a challenge and perhaps getting caught stealing (either just by store associate / and law enforcement) but not being identified was a way for him to push the limits with a close call, more taunting of a sort.

Knowing that JJD followed press coverage and seeing that this article has a big picture of a dog outside a window and the caption, "Residents hope dogs will deter rapist" really stands out to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-01-17-03-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-05-01-17-03-48.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_2018-05-01-17-02-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-05-01-17-02-40.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2018-05-01-17-01-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-05-01-17-01-49.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 76
I believe there was only one attempted rape abduction in the Visalia crimes... that one attempt failed and ended up with the death of the girls father. Visalia for the most part was just burglaries

DNA evidence was not used/collected in the mid 70's it's first use in court was the mid 80's

But they did find evidence he used lotion in some of those cases. And although DNA was not used till mid 80's, they have gone back to the older cases to re-examine and gather DNA from, for example, the ties used.

Yeah, he looked so plain & generic when young, he wouldn't attract attention IMO, his hair was the generic style back then as well.

If he really looked like the surfer dude sketches, he would stand out. A guy with long hair hippy style stands out, & I couldn't understand why he wasn't caught if he had that look.

When they put up the 2 surfer dude sketches next to the guy next door look nicely cut hair parted to the side, I thought, this clean cut guy doesn't belong here, he's not threatening looking, & damn it if its not him. The Visalia Ransacker sketch resembles the Maggiore sketch a bit.

Ripon Court, where Rodney got a close look at the guy was surprising with the long hair surfer dude look.......I thought Rodney got the best look, but actually detective McGowan had given the best sketch.

Exactly - he looks very clean cut and I think, non-threatening in his younger photos. If I saw the younger version of him walking through my neighborhood today, I probably wouldn't pay much attention to him, unless he was lingering about too long, or peeping in windows.

To me, he doesn't look like a generic old guy in his recent mugshot. I believe if I saw him walking through my neighborhood now, I'd be keeping my eyes on him and calling the neighbors to tell them to keep their eyes open, too.

What's so weird, is this is the same man. He's just older now and to me, he just looks evil.

OK now we know where he worked from 1990 to 2017. Now the questions is where did he work from 1979 to 1990?
I, too, would like to know where this guy worked from 1979 until 1990.

And I would also be interested in seeing a list of addresses where he lived to synch his crimes with his place of residence(s).

On one of the programs I watched, he lived in (or very near) Long Beach, CA. which is about 60-75 minutes south of the Ventura/Santa Barbara area where five couples were attacked or murdered from between October 1979 and July 1981. And Long Beach is about 45 minutes north of Laguna Niguel (where a couple was killed in 1980), and 30 minutes north of Irvine (where two separate murders occurred in '81 and '86).

So did he live in just the one residence during that entire time, or did he move around? And was he married? And where did he work when he was in Southern California? I'm sure that info will eventually be told, but I'm too impatient to wait. I want to know now! lol

County records buildings might be a good place to start. If he owned real estate, his name should be on file, right?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article85174522.html

During the initial investigation, the crimes caused local cops to become suspects themselves. The rapist had to be a cop, some felt, because he seemed to know exactly what the cops were doing.

He was strong, methodical, athletic and elusive. He exhibited military precision in the way he tied victims up quickly and efficiently.

A 1993 Sacramento Bee story detailed how even the lead investigators in the case had to provide saliva samples because the public had begun to believe that a rogue cop was committing these crimes while being protected by his fellow officers.

“Any of us would have turned in our own son, we wanted this guy so bad,” said Richard Shelby in the 1993 Bee article that marked his retirement from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.

“We had set up traps on the phones of victims, and he called the one who didn’t have a trap on her phone,” said Carol Daly, who retired as Sacramento County undersheriff in 2001, and was one of the original investigators on the case.

The fact that GSK called the victim who did not have a trap on her phone makes me wonder if he knew which phone did not have the phone trap because of his position in LE?

I've started to look through missing persons cases in CA. A bit more difficult to narrow parameters without knowing where he was when during certain times. I would say the 80's until present should all be potential timeframe though. Thinking that he may have abandoned the idea of attacking in someone's home due to knowing DNA/Investigative connections would be made and abducted, assaulted, and disposed of. One possibility as has been discussed, he has a boat. I am concerned that we haven't heard about any employment between the PD and Save Mart. Is it possible he was unemployed/ odd jobs/handyman / stay at home dad so had potential freedom to roam the large state without any trace?

I came across the case of Susan Jacobson who has been missing since 2013. I know that would make JJD 67ish, but she went missing from a Raley's Supermarket (her car was found abandoned there) in ROSEVILLE, which is 2.6 miles / 6 minutes from the Save Mart Distribution Center that JJD worked at for 27 years, until retiring last year.

I can't help but shake the feeling that there are more layers of darkness and there are more victims although I hope I'm wrong because he's done more than enough damage with everything that's known.

I've started to look through missing persons cases in CA. A bit more difficult to narrow parameters without knowing where he was when during certain times. I would say the 80's until present should all be potential timeframe though. Thinking that he may have abandoned the idea of attacking in someone's home due to knowing DNA/Investigative connections would be made and abducted, assaulted, and disposed of. One possibility as has been discussed, he has a boat. I am concerned that we haven't heard about any employment between the PD and Save Mart. Is it possible he was unemployed/ odd jobs/handyman / stay at home dad so had potential freedom to roam the large state without any trace?

I came across the case of Susan Jacobson who has been missing since 2013. I know that would make JJD 67ish, but she went missing from a Raley's Supermarket (her car was found abandoned there) in ROSEVILLE, which is 2.6 miles / 6 minutes from the Save Mart Distribution Center that JJD worked at for 27 years, until retiring last year.

I can't help but shake the feeling that there are more layers of darkness and there are more victims although I hope I'm wrong because he's done more than enough damage with everything that's known.

I totally agree. It is good someone is doing more research.

What about CA's gas stations over the years? (Not just interstates, like 80 or 95, but what about CA intra-state highways?) I am from the East. So, I don't know what you have in CA. Do highway gas stations there have showers? Here, the Hess Gas Stations had showers for years: 70's 80's 90's, for as long as I can remember. The showers were for truckers. The GSK could have washed off the smells, repellents, blood, etc. and discarded his cloths, never having to take anything home. (Gas stations didn't have security cameras until much later until the 90's, right?) It would be so easy to be an itinerant worker, like LotusPawPrint and other posters have suggested, just commit these crimes, afterwards throwing a lot of the evidence away, perhaps, and never arrive home reeking of horrible smells.

Also, most docks I know of, where boats are moored on the East Coast, and Rivers/Canals here, have showers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member