GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think Erin was vulnerable and I think CL took advantage of that. CL didn't just cheat on NL, but JC - his friend. What was he thinking? IMO, he is a sociopath.
Well EC was NL friend.Also CL and EC both knew that their was a six year old little girl that was going to be a casualty of this affair.Does she get a pass on that also?Both of these people deserve equal blame in this affair.

Well EC was NL friend.Also CL and EC both knew that their was a six year old little girl that was going to be a casualty of this affair.Does she get a pass on that also?Both of these people deserve equal blame in this affair.

Well if you mean Erin, she did not get a pass.

I think most people agree that affairs are always hurtful, probably unwise and potentially catastrophic...but most don't end in murder.

As far as the affair goes I think many people are giving EC a pass and I simply disagree with that.
She is a victim and isn't here to speak for herself. The tsk-tsking isn't going to do any good now. She didn't deserve to die for a lapse of judgment. Better to focus not on her mistakes but on finding justice for her. Everyone has done something foolish in their lives. I'd hate to have people sitting around and still bringing up all the yucky things I did after I am gone.

IMO, the hormonal rushes that Erin was dealing with played a role in this. She was pregnant, hormones raging, and she lost that baby in a miscarriage. Hormones levels again fluctuating, eventually down to the point she was ovulating, *means hormones uprising again*, and became pregnant again, so another splurge in hormone levels. Even as someone much older than Erin, those changes can affect your thinking, your feelings, etc. Add in her being only 19yrs old, married to a high school sweet heart, and possibly had never dated anyone else, much less had sex with anyone else.

Now all of sudden, she's surrounded by men in uniforms, many with high self esteem, which can be sexy to many females. Something innocent can quickly become an affair especially if you don't know how to handle the attention you're receiving, due to age, inexperience, etc. Throw in the typical stories heard from those having an affair about how the other isn't doing this or that, they feel unwanted, their spouse just doesn't appreciate them, blah blah blah, and the fire is ignited.

I've stated before, I've been in Erin's shoes as far as an affair. Over 18yrs later, and I still regret it, but it happened. The more I've thought of it, since this case, the more I think mine was due to lack of self esteem, never really dating at my means, always below, and settling, etc., and when a good looking, someone I considered out of league was interested in ME, yup I fell for it hook line lies and sinker! I'm not proud of that time in my life, but it happened.

I think at some point in most people's lives, they go through a wild child phase. Now this just my opinion and I have no link to back it up. But I've witnessed it numerous times. You wonder what else is out there. Wonder if you're 'missing' anything in life. Erin wasn't even at a legal age to drink, which is when I see LOTS of wild child phases occur.

I also see Erin in a vulnerable state. She's across the country from her support network. Hasn't really been at the base long enough to start a new support team. Seems the Lees were one of the first couples that she and JC hung out with. Seems JC knew the Lees before Erin came to the base. Erin arrived before JC was back on base. So she was alone. Just my speculation, but JC could have trusted the Lees and asked them to take Erin under the wing so to speak, and show her around base, around the area, welcome her to the base, and help her adjust prior to him coming back. Erin learned about the horse rescue from someone, and since the Lees were already involved, not a stretch that they might have even introduced her to the rescue.

Again, no matter what the reason behind the affair, no one deserved the death penalty for it. We all make mistakes, make the wrong choices. The majority of us get to move on, and learn from those lessons, and experiences. Life is all a learning experience, which we hope to never stop learning from. Erin didn't get that chance to move on, and correct her errors.

I also don't think JC would have had any problems raising the child. He didn't realize the affair was still going on. But even if he found out, nothing in his actions to me show that he would have thrown Erin out, and no way. All men aren't monsters. Many fathers aren't the sperm donors, but accept the child as their own, and love and raise them as their own. CL took that chance/choice from the Corwins as well. The Corwins were trying to rebuild their marriage. Working through the issues. It's very possible that the true paternity of the child wouldn't be known until it was born. Another action that will never happen because CL took that opportunity away.

:moo:
Thank you. You said it better than I could have. I have been somewhat in similar shoes....and your post is just so spot on about the realities of this case

I agree that both were equally responsible for the affair. Having said that, women who engage in affairs aren't more likely to be murdered. And, we aren't here to discuss the morality of Erin's actions. The subject of the affair is only relevant in terms of Chris' motive for murder.

Since it seems to be commonplace to blame the victims in court these days I suppose we're all extra careful to make sure that does not happen here. To say that Erin did not deserve to be murdered is a gross understatement.

I agree that both were equally responsible for the affair. Having said that, women who engage in affairs aren't more likely to be murdered. And, we aren't here to discuss the morality of Erin's actions. The subject of the affair is only relevant in terms of Chris' motive for murder.

Since it seems to be commonplace to blame the victims in court these days I suppose we're all extra careful to make sure that does not happen here. To say that Erin did not deserve to be murdered is a gross understatement.
I must have read over a hundred comments trying to minimize EC's involvement in this affair and suggesting reasons why she got involved in it.As soon as someone suggests a reason why she should not have gotten involved suddenly we are not here to discuss it and worse people seam to want to imply just because you think she bears the same responsibility in this affair you are suggesting she deserved to be murdered.Having said that I would agree the affair should only be relevant in terms of Chris' motive and I wish less time was spent trying to explain why she was an innocent victim of this affair and more time was spent trying to figure out why she was an innocent victim of murder.

I can only speak for myself, but I haven't seen anyone say she deserved to be murdered for her actions! That's absurd! I understand where phantom is coming from.

When Erin had her miscarriage in February Jon was in the field. If I remember right when he got back they let him have a week of before he had to go back into the field. My personal opinion that didn't give them the time to figure out how to handle their grief let alone work through it. Jon was frequently in the field. At least 5 days a month. Some times they were gone for a couple of weeks. Get to come in for a day and go right back out. So when though he wasn't deployed they were frequently apart

Thank you for that insight. Everyone has different emotional needs and it can be very difficult to be alone when you are young, away from family, and trying to figure out who you are as part of a couple. Even if everything else is fine, some people just cannot deal with a husband who is not home almost every night. My husband travelled a LOT for work and I was always okay with that. My dad travelled, too, so that was normal to me. Shoot, for years, my hubs was home literally either every weekend or every other weekend. I was practically a single mother. But I know plenty of marriages that didn't survive the husband being gone "all the time" which was actually not even half as much as my husband was gone. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been with the miscarriage, too. Bless them both.

I believe the potato gun hearing was scheduled for 9-9

The 16th is hearing for murder.

Both hearings have been combined for 9-16, the potato gun case would normally be trailed until the murder case is resolved. The hearing on the 16th is calendared as a readiness conference to see if the prelim will go forward. I doubt it will. I expect he will appear and they will simply set new hearing dates. JMO.

Both hearings have been combined for 9-16, the potato gun case would normally be trailed until the murder case is resolved. The hearing on the 16th is calendared as a readiness conference to see if the prelim will go forward. I doubt it will. I expect he will appear and they will simply set new hearing dates. JMO.

I don't doubt your word at all that both hearings have been combined, but do you have a link for that? I have spent waaayy too much time trying to find one the last few days.

There is an angle here that the defense may attempt to play depending on what the texts reveal. Frankly though, it doesn't matter if it can be clearly proven it was premeditated. (Certainly sounds like they can).
The best that CL can hope for is a plea where he implicates others involved in the commission of the crime.
I'm a little surprised there haven't been more arrests already.

I don't doubt your word at all that both hearings have been combined, but do you have a link for that? I have spent waaayy too much time trying to find one the last few days.

You have to go to San Bernardino Court case search and to a "Master" name search for Christopher Brandon Lee. Then, click on the one case match that comes up. Then, click on the case number: FMB1400414 Then, at the top of the page you have to click on "Actions"

http://openaccess.sb-court.org/OpenAccess/criminal/default.asp

I found this Press release today, in case anyone is behind in the case and wants to catch up ~ notice the dates

DATE/TIME: June 29, 2014 **UPDATE – August 18, 2014**

I thought this sentence was interesting

SUMMARY:
Detectives have received information regarding possible locations to be searched for potential evidence of foul play regarding the disappearance of 19-year-old Erin Corwin. The information is the result of an extensive three-week investigation.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/Med...eSearchforErinCorwinConcludesChristopher.aspx

I found this Press release today, in case anyone is behind in the case and wants to catch up ~ notice the dates

SUMMARY:
Detectives have received information regarding possible locations to be searched for potential evidence of foul play regarding the disappearance of 19-year-old Erin Corwin. The information is the result of an extensive three-week investigation.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/Med...eSearchforErinCorwinConcludesChristopher.aspx

Thanks, didn't remember that press release. Yes, that was the June 29th wording - assume was the *technical* information they have since referred to that help them find her.

Since we've been talking about IM, here's a refresher ~

It was this same affidavit that included comments by Megli, which cast suspicion on the Lee couple. According to the affidavit, Megli told detectives that:

• Nichole Lee said she was concerned her husband did not have an alibi and would "not be able to keep his lies straight."

• Nichole Lee said that detectives did not have a case "without a body," and that "detectives would never find the body."

• And that police had "missed something" while searching Lee's apartment because they did not search the garage.

When interviewed by The Desert Sun on Friday,* Megli said the first two statements were misconstrued by detectives who wrote the affidavit. Nichole Lee made these statements while chatting casually at the horse ranch, discussing the Corwin disappearance and similar mysteries, comparing them to the clichès of television crime drama.

*Megli said Nichole Lee was worried her husband would accidentally incriminate himself — even if he hadn't done anything wrong — if he was grilled by detectives.

*Finally, Megli insisted that Nichole Lee never said police "missed something" in the garage, but actually remarked that police had simply not searched the garage at all. Nichole Lee was thankful police skipped the garage because the couple had packed their belongings in preparation to move out of the apartment, and deputies would have torn through the packaging during the search.

There was no conversation about a clue being missed, Megli said.

*"I never said that," Megli said Friday. "If I would have heard that there was 'something' in the garage, don't you think I would have called the police?"

It is unclear if the sheriff's department actually searched the Lees' garage or not. The search warrant for the apartment did give deputies authority to search the garage.

The sheriff's department has repeatedly declined to comment on the search warrants or the contents of the affidavit.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...n-corwin-isabel-megli-investigation/13202339/

Thanks, didn't remember that press release. Yes, that was the June 29th wording - assume was the *technical* information they have since referred to that help them find her.

Or somebody is talking ~ or both

SUMMARY:

JMO, & I may very well be wrong, but I think the information they are referring to may be this. "Forensic exams of computers, cell phones and other electronic devices led detectives to a mine shaft outside Joshua Tree National Park." http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Arrest-Made-in-Missing-Marine-Wife-Case-271708161.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayjay23