CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fantastic insight! Especially about the other theme park being in competition! Can I ask, how long is the journey from SF to Santa Clara...just to exclude him working there.

I thought the same about losing this particular job, it would seem something like this would be pretty casual. I would think you'd only lose this job if you literally sold nothing. So we can't be sure but this would suggest this was a second job right?

It would depend a lot on where in San Francisco and the time of day/traffic. I'd guess about an hour, give or take a bit.

I'm still leaning toward there only being one job, although there's no way to know for sure.

I suppose he also could have lost this job if he lost the tickets or the money he had collected.

I agree, he most likely wouldn't have been in a costume. Great America did have a small kiddie area with costumed characters and kiddie rides, but the majority of the park catered to teens and adults.

I have a feeling that they won't change any information based on this thread. I'm not sure it is classed as "verified" and yet it is the only place anywhere with the correct information. Does anyone want to try and message them with the necessary changes please that would be great!? (I can do, but it won't be right away)

NamUs I believe would require the info to come from LE.(??) It concerns me as that means LE put in the wrong info to begin with!

At least we here know the correct date. And even though the other sites are incorrect, it is not miles out. The most concerning thing for me is those sites that list him as missing from John Day! Someone could rule him out based on that fact alone.

I was actually the one who initially entered Farren into NamUs. I had entered San Francisco as the location and wrote a summary of the circumstances. When they published his page, my summary was gone and the location had been changed to John Day. I emailed them and let them know that this is incorrect but never got a response.

I was actually the one who initially entered Farren into NamUs. I had entered San Francisco as the location and wrote a summary of the circumstances. When they published his page, my summary was gone and the location had been changed to John Day. I emailed them and let them know that this is incorrect but never got a response.
Of course, I remember now it was you who entered it! But since all of the information was changed do you think they checked with LE and that's why it got distorted? I mean basically they entered him for you, but totally ignored the information you provided and, because of whoever changed what you wrote, it remains incorrect to this day.

Of course, I remember now it was you who entered it! But since all of the information was changed do you think they checked with LE and that's why it got distorted? I mean basically they entered him for you, but totally ignored the information you provided and, because of whoever changed what you wrote, it remains incorrect to this day.
I still don't know why. I can't imagine that John Day LE would have told them wrong information either.

I still don't know why. I can't imagine that John Day LE would have told them wrong information either.
Im a huge fan of LE and all related People. But in this case I believe there have been numerous errors (probably no one's fault though).
Despite NamUs errors, due to your amazing sleuthing we, at least, have the correct information here.

Here is a little bit of insight. Article October 1981 in Coming Up, seemingly a lesbian-oriented publication in the Bay Area. The article is about political objections within the gay community to an upcoming “Gay Night” at Marriott’s Great America because Marriott is a conservative corporation (this article could have been written last week about people objecting to corporations at pride I swear, good to remember there are no new stories lol). anyway it mentions a San Francisco sales representative for Great America by name. Have a read.

Attachments

• IMG_9015.jpeg
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9016.jpeg
    IMG_9016.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9019.jpeg
    IMG_9019.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 12
Just some info about Marriott's theme parks.

The parks were initially launched in two locations — Santa Clara, California, and Gurnee, Illinois — in 1976. In the early years, both parks were the image of each other, with nearly identical layouts and attractions.
I am from the Midwest, and visited Marriott's Great America at the Illinois location around 1980! Great work @Ciriii57! IF Farren was a ticket agent for Great America, it would have been very, very easy, for him to be lured away by someone who wanted to do something bad to him, if that was there intent. Do you think that this was the "known" job he lost? We must keep the other Marriott businesses open for consideration. But if that co-worker was certain that the "F. Stanberry" money came from Marriott's Great America, that HAS to be our Farren!!!

Just to reiterate, how close was the theme park to the National Hotel? And how much money is on the "F. Stanberry" check?

Satch

Here is a little bit of insight. Article October 1981 in Coming Up, seemingly a lesbian-oriented publication in the Bay Area. The article is about political objections within the gay community to an upcoming “Gay Night” at Marriott’s Great America because Marriott is a conservative corporation (this article could have been written last week about people objecting to corporations at pride I swear, good to remember there are no new stories lol). anyway it mentions a San Francisco sales representative for Great America by name. Have a read.
Such an amazing find! Now that is interesting! I wonder if a sales representative is a polite way of saying ticket seller or someone higher up, Farren's boss even! In this case he has been promoting the gay night event as well which intrigues me as it shows Marriott was targeting its sales through their own representatives.
So is this the proof of what Farren was doing? I think so, there definitely were sales representatives of the theme park active in SF at the time!
I am strongly feeling that we've found Farrens job!! So he may have left for work that day to sell his tickets!

Typically, of all the jobs it could have been this one has no fixed location. But we can reasonable guess that he would have been focussed on the areas where there were lots of tourists.

I am from the Midwest, and visited Marriott's Great America at the Illinois location around 1980! Great work @Ciriii57! IF Farren was a ticket agent for Great America, it would have been very, very easy, for him to be lured away by someone who wanted to do something bad to him, if that was there intent. Do you think that this was the "known" job he lost? We must keep the other Marriott businesses open for consideration. But if that co-worker was certain that the "F. Stanberry" money came from Marriott's Great America, that HAS to be our Farren!!!

Just to reiterate, how close was the theme park to the National Hotel? And how much money is on the "F. Stanberry" check?

Satch
Hey @Satch I love that you visited the park, even if it was the sister park!

So, we still can't be 100% that it was our Farren, but as @Odyssey noted, there was only 1 F. Stanberry in northern California and what are the chances that they were in SF too and also for some reason never collected their paycheck as well as Farrens bank account going inactive at the same time. Marriott only owned the theme park from 76-82 so they would also have been there at exactly the same time. I should think the chances of such a coincidence would be infinitesimal. I'm 99.9% that this is Farren's.

I think the theme park itself was about 40 miles away from the National hotel. But just because he was selling tickets it doesn't mean he ever even visited the park itself.

The paycheck was for I think $98.45.

The other Marriott properties must be kept in mind yes I agree. Especially Farrell's ice cream parlour, Roy Rogers and Big Boy.

Last edited:
I think the theme park itself was about 40 miles away from the National hotel. But just because he was selling tickets it doesn't mean he ever even visited the park itself.
Remember this point above,

Just because a business owned a location in an area, does not mean that all employees worked directly at the company's location. Ticket agents would often serve as promotional "scouts" to go to locations around the area to promote the businesses they were selling by selling tickets. If it was a restaurant, you would have employees and their family's all coming together to give away food samples at theme parks and county fairs to promote some grand opening or charity event. San Francisco had to be HUGE for this!

Furthermore if you look back at the places around the National Hotel at that time, Farren was within walking distances of several shops, and mini-mall outlets for easy access. I think @Odyssey put that information up through her research or @Bit of hope There was a grocery store, a dough shot, an ice cream shop, and a snack bar. Does anyone else remember this?

Still laughing at the idea of Farren in a Bugs Bunny costume!

Satch

Does anyone know if the theme park operated year round or only certain months?
I'm thinking if the park wasn't open in April then this cannot be the job that Farren lost and proof he had a second one.
Also depending on what months the park opened it would help us narrow down the timeline of when Farren disappeared.
The archivist mentioned seasonal workers so does that mean it only opened in the summer months?

Im a huge fan of LE and all related People. But in this case I believe there have been numerous errors (probably no one's fault though).
Despite NamUs errors, due to your amazing sleuthing we, at least, have the correct information here.

Thanks

But I think you're giving me more credit than I deserve. It was mostly Satch and Alllads coming up with info on Farren. I've always chimed in with thoughts & stuff but the majority of my research was trying to facilitate a match to Attic Guy.

I lived not too far from Santa Clara but am a little confused by the dates mentioned for when Marriott owned it. I didn't live in California until early 1984 but I have been to that theme park many times and am sure I remember it still being Marriott then. We all called it "Marriott's". Maybe people just still called it that after it had changed ownership. I was pretty young.

Thanks

But I think you're giving me more credit than I deserve. It was mostly Satch and Alllads coming up with info on Farren. I've always chimed in with thoughts & stuff but the majority of my research was trying to facilitate a match to Attic Guy.
I just reread my post and wanted to clarify that I was referring to info from years ago. Of course, all of you who have recently joined the search for Farren have found amazing clues as well.

This site keeps freezing up on me, ugh.

I just reread my post and wanted to clarify that I was referring to info from years ago. Of course, all of you who have recently joined the search for Farren have found amazing clues as well.

This site keeps freezing up on me, ugh.
I really feel like Farren's thread has some amazing contributers and I think everyone throughout the years has offered amazing insights. Everyone's dedication here makes me humble so to absolutely all of you/us thank you!

am a little confused by the dates mentioned for when Marriott owned it.
I just checked and there does seem to be a slight variation on the dates. Marriott owned it from 76 to either 82, 84 or 85 depending on the source. In either 84 or 85 the city of Santa Clara bought the park after which in 89 the park was sold to the King's entertainment Company with the city keeping ownership of the land.
I bet it was still referred to as "Marriott's" by locals. I still call it oil of Ulay instead of Olay and a snickers bar will always be a Marathon to me! And don't get me started on Opal Fruits! (Am I showing my age haha)

I don't suppose you have any insight on whether the park was open year round or just seasonal and what months it was open?

Does anyone know if the theme park operated year round or only certain months?
I'm thinking if the park wasn't open in April then this cannot be the job that Farren lost and proof he had a second one.
Also depending on what months the park opened it would help us narrow down the timeline of when Farren disappeared.
The archivist mentioned seasonal workers so does that mean it only opened in the summer months?

Ok I think I answered my own question. The park opened March through October. Unfortunately that doesn't narrow anything down regarding Farren.

This is a long shot. And I mean a LONG shot!

Here is the site for Great America in California. It is now called "California's Great America."

The Contact Us information is at the bottom of the site. And the contact person that you found said that most Marriott Corporation records had expired after about seven or eight years. But it might be worth it to find out more about the park's history through our research and see if a "Farren Stanberry or F. Stanberry" ever worked there?

We could do that for each of the Marriott owned businesses that we investigate! That would REALLY nail this down! <modsnip>

Satch

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a long shot. And I mean a LONG shot!

Here is the site for Great America in California. It is now called "California's Great America."

The Contact Us information is at the bottom of the site. And the contact person that you found said that most Marriott Corporation records had expired after about seven or eight years. But it might be worth it to find out more about the park's history through our research and see if a "Farren Stanberry or F. Stanberry" ever worked there?

We could do that for each of the Marriott owned businesses that we investigate! That would REALLY nail this down! <modsnip>

Satch

I highly doubt that would be possible, unfortunately. Because they weren't open year round, they had to hire all new staff each year. Since things weren't on computers then, I can't imagine that they would retain all those records. I think a social security check by LE would tell us a lot though. If he actually worked at the park or one of the restaurants/airport it would have been reported. I have no idea if a street vendor would have been though.

Hopefully the Unclaimed Property office will respond with more info. Both Unclaimed Property and Social Security would still have records from then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Furthermore if you look back at the places around the National Hotel at that time, Farren was within walking distances of several shops, and mini-mall outlets for easy access.
He was also a 10 minute walk away from Union Square and the Cable Cars at Powell St. In 1980 there was a Visitor Information Center located there which closed in 2018. A service offered even today in another location is discount ticket packages. This location have been where Farren worked selling tickets for Marriot. The map is marked to show how close this was to where Farren lived. The green circle is the National Hotel, the blue circle is the visitor center. So if he left for work one day and disappeared, is the area between these two locations where something would have happened to him?404BB7F0-9EF0-47CD-93A9-0509A6417710.jpeg524F6447-E554-496A-8515-333FBB5C7160.jpegDF711234-5901-4E4E-9820-EA3248602A03.jpeg

If Farren was regarded as an independent contractor with selling tickets would that have been reported to SS? If it was his new job he wouldn't have paid any SS taxes yet as an independent contractor if that's what he was possibly regarded as. Maybe a dumb question but I don't know everything and an earlier post saying maybe if he was a street vendor/ticket seller it wouldn't be reported got me thinking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky
Back