CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Farren is finally on NamUs, but for some reason the photo and the circumstances of his disappearance appear to have been removed, and the 'missing from' was changed from San Francisco to John Day, OR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Farren is finally on NamUs, but for some reason the photo and the circumstances of his disappearance appear to have been removed, and the 'missing from' was changed from San Francisco to John Day, OR.

That's a shame! It's one thing for LE to not list information because no one ever bothered to gather any, but with a case like this it's just a matter of copy and paste! Hopefully they'll update it further. My guess is the missing from is John Day because technically that's where he actually went missing from, but it's certainly not the last seen...

Though hopefully this will make it 'easier' to match him!

That's a shame! It's one thing for LE to not list information because no one ever bothered to gather any, but with a case like this it's just a matter of copy and paste! Hopefully they'll update it further. My guess is the missing from is John Day because technically that's where he actually went missing from, but it's certainly not the last seen...

Though hopefully this will make it 'easier' to match him!

I am a little baffled by it too. When I entered him, I typed out the circumstances and uploaded a photo but they're gone.

I think in this case especially, those details were important because by looking at his profile in NamUs, one wouldn't even make the connection to San Francisco or think to look there for UID's.

At least his name is there now, though...

I am a little baffled by it too. When I entered him, I typed out the circumstances and uploaded a photo but they're gone.

I think in this case especially, those details were important because by looking at his profile in NamUs, one wouldn't even make the connection to San Francisco or think to look there for UID's.

At least his name is there now, though...

Since you submitted it, do you have the ability to edit it? Maybe try contacting a NamUs administrator? That's so weird! (and sorry, I had completely forgotten that you had entered him).

Did anyone ever get back to you about the potential match?

Often, especially if there is fowl play, the place where someone goes missing is not the place where their body ends up, so it makes sense to me to describe them missing from their home base or home town where their family can be notified.

Since you submitted it, do you have the ability to edit it? Maybe try contacting a NamUs administrator? That's so weird! (and sorry, I had completely forgotten that you had entered him).

Did anyone ever get back to you about the potential match?

I will try logging in later and see if I have any options like that. Honestly I forgot my login information, since I just intended to log in the one time to enter him. I think they emailed me a password so I'll have to see if I can still find it.

No, nobody has gotten back to me about the match yet. The LE contact from John Day told me he sent Farren's dentals to the San Francisco ME though. He sent me a follow up email to say that he had inquired about the DNA and was told by the Oregon State Police that they could not confirm whether his DNA had been entered into the system at that time, and was supposed to get back to him.

Thanks everyone with the updates for Farren's case!

At least we got his name in NamUs, but I agree, with the picture not there, that is a mystery. Odyssey, how many pictures of Farren did you submit? What I recall about those pictures that we HAVE seen, Farren almost looks like two different people depending on the photos being examined. I wonder if Nameus, may want to do additional background checking on the photo(s)?

Is that May 1, 1980 date correct or approximate for the date that Farren was last seen?

I really would like to know the amount of time between when Farren was exactly last seen, in relation to the date that UID#3 was found. And considering with that, any records that show a date and the bank or financial institution where Farren had that $40+ dollars in his account. In relation to the date that UID#3 was found, how long has that money been unclaimed?

Satch

Thanks everyone with the updates for Farren's case!

At least we got his name in NamUs, but I agree, with the picture not there, that is a mystery. Odyssey, how many pictures of Farren did you submit? What I recall about those pictures that we HAVE seen, Farren almost looks like two different people depending on the photos being examined. I wonder if Nameus, may want to do additional background checking on the photo(s)?

Is that May 1, 1980 date correct or approximate for the date that Farren was last seen?

I really would like to know the amount of time between when Farren was exactly last seen, in relation to the date that UID#3 was found. And considering with that, any records that show a date and the bank or financial institution where Farren had that $40+ dollars in his account. In relation to the date that UID#3 was found, how long has that money been unclaimed?

Satch

BBM

I only submitted one, the one that I already had in my computer. I didn't even think about adding additional ones.

I would love to know when that money was reported to the state too! I'm also not sure how long a financial institution waits before reporting funds to the state.

I actually just got a letter a few days ago from my old car insurance company telling me that I was due a refund, and they had tried to send me a check but it came back. The letter said that if I didn't contact them, they would be required to send it to the state. I only switched insurance companies about 3 months ago. I know I have had bank accounts that I didn't touch for well over 3 months and nothing like this happened, so I don't know if there is a set amount of time that they wait or if it can vary greatly. I guess it would take longer for a bank to realize an account had been abandoned.

Maybe LE changed the location because they found new information? Maybe Farren attempted to go back home?

Maybe LE changed the location because they found new information? Maybe Farren attempted to go back home?

If that's the case, it would have to have been learned in the past couple weeks, since I last spoke with the LE contact.

Bumping for Farren, hoping for some news.

Bumping for Farren! Such a shame that his NamUs page ended up being stripped of all the useful information. Anyone have any ideas for who to poke to get something done about the potential match?

Bumping for Farren! Such a shame that his NamUs page ended up being stripped of all the useful information. Anyone have any ideas for who to poke to get something done about the potential match?

What? NameUs took down all that new information that you guys worked so hard to research a few months ago? I am going to check it now. Poor Farren!

Satch

PS. I have no idea why they took down the added information!

What? NameUs took down all that new information that you guys worked so hard to research a few months ago? I am going to check it now. Poor Farren!

Satch

PS. I have no idea why they took down the added information!

Odyssey submitted a report to NamUs with a photo, they took off the photo, all the circumstances of his disappearance, and changes his place disappeared to John Day, OR instead of SF - I mean it's accurate because he did originally leave John Day, but he was known to be alive in SF and people that don't know that may well consider him a possible match for a UID in Oregon that died BEFORE Farren went "properly missing" from SF. Ugh!

I see the Regional Administrator/Case Manager listed for Farren's NamUs profile is Janet Franson. Maybe Odyssey can contact her and she might have an answer on why his picture was taken down along with where he went missing and the circumstances to his disappearance. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Hi All, i grew up in the E. Bay Area and have lived in SF for 11 years. I just wanted to provide my thoughts on this troubling case. My uncle was a gay man in the 70s and 80s and I was fortunate to have parents that embraced his lifestyle and weren't afraid for their child to be exposed to it despite the "taboo" that most felt.
I will first say that I'm confident that the National Hotel on 1139 Market is where Ferren last stayed. 1144 Market St no longer exists. It was most likely demolished when they laid the BART tracks in the late 60's (It was the Dore Gallery in the early 1900's. You can actually google it and old photos with the address will come up).
I realize we do not know if Ferren was gay. I'm going with my gut on this (sorry if I offend) and say it's highly likely. IF I stay on this path, here's what plays out in my head: Ferren had a sense of rejection from his mother if not the rest of the family for reasons we don't know (but I'm assuming I do). He decided to disappear, start a new life with a new identity as a gay man in SF. Never contacts anyone again. The likelihood that he is still alive to this day if that were to be the scenario is not favorable. The early part of the 80's were very risky for gay men-as we learned from the AIDS epidemic. A significant number of the gay population what were living in the 70s and 80's died from the disease. Any gay man in SF that is between 50-60 years old will tell you they've lost close to everyone they knew. If he succumbed to AIDS under a different identity, this case will never be solved-just take solace in knowing that Ferren lived the way he wanted to live. Perhaps a loving partner gave him a wonderful celebration of life.
OR he could still be alive today and living that life as an openly gay man...

Hi All, i grew up in the E. Bay Area and have lived in SF for 11 years. I just wanted to provide my thoughts on this troubling case. My uncle was a gay man in the 70s and 80s and I was fortunate to have parents that embraced his lifestyle and weren't afraid for their child to be exposed to it despite the "taboo" that most felt.
I will first say that I'm confident that the National Hotel on 1139 Market is where Ferren last stayed. 1144 Market St no longer exists. It was most likely demolished when they laid the BART tracks in the late 60's (It was the Dore Gallery in the early 1900's. You can actually google it and old photos with the address will come up).
I realize we do not know if Ferren was gay. I'm going with my gut on this (sorry if I offend) and say it's highly likely. IF I stay on this path, here's what plays out in my head: Ferren had a sense of rejection from his mother if not the rest of the family for reasons we don't know (but I'm assuming I do). He decided to disappear, start a new life with a new identity as a gay man in SF. Never contacts anyone again. The likelihood that he is still alive to this day if that were to be the scenario is not favorable. The early part of the 80's were very risky for gay men-as we learned from the AIDS epidemic. A significant number of the gay population what were living in the 70s and 80's died from the disease. Any gay man in SF that is between 50-60 years old will tell you they've lost close to everyone they knew. If he succumbed to AIDS under a different identity, this case will never be solved-just take solace in knowing that Ferren lived the way he wanted to live. Perhaps a loving partner gave him a wonderful celebration of life.
OR he could still be alive today and living that life as an openly gay man...

Good deductions. I would intend to agree with your reasoning. A likely very sad outcome if Farren has passed away, or maybe even the victim of a hate crime. Let's hope this is NOT the case and that Farren found freedom, peace, and love.

Satch

Good deductions. I would intend to agree with your reasoning. A likely very sad outcome if Farren has passed away, or maybe even the victim of a hate crime. Let's hope this is NOT the case and that Farren found freedom, peace, and love.

Satch

Tragically, some have speculated suicide in Ferren's case. Sadly, I cannot rule that out, At this point, the main issue is finding out from NamUs why that added information on Ferren was taken down, and can they put up the information, or maybe even UPDATED information? Maybe NamUs had to temporarily remove the information to update details on the case?

Satch

Sorry... I've been caught up in other things lately and haven't had time to read/post here... I'm trying to get up to speed on the cases I follow.

I just emailed NamUs and asked what happened to the rest of the info.

I haven't heard anything about the PM from 1144 Market... I think it's been long enough now that we can follow up without 'pestering'... although I'm still mortified to call the LE contact... <cringe>

I wonder if it would be worth trying to reach the SF coroner to see if they have a different address - it's possible that LE had the right address of where the body was found, but it was just entered wrong on NamUs... or did we have some other source for the 1144 address? I think I emailed the SF coroner at the same time I first emailed John Day PD and they never replied...

I'm so lost, apparently I need to reread this thread from start to finish.:blushing:

I also haven't heard anything from the demo company whose owner found the body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210
Back