GUILTY CA - Gianni, 24, & Sal Belvedere, 22, Ilona Flint, 22, San Diego, 24 Dec 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is easy to become numb to homicide, as frequently as it occurs in our own community and the nation at large.

Still, it is quite unusual to kill three people at the same time. The coordination of a multiple murder like this one is far more complex. The more degrees of freedom, the greater the chance of something going wrong and being apprehended. There has to be a motivation commensurate with the risk involved in murdering three people in a public place known to be frequented with late-night holiday shoppers and employees.

There is hardly another explanation to kill these three people in cold blood that makes sense except that they were perceived as a threat. And, unfortunately, because the three of them were so close to one another (they lived together and engaged in illegal activities with the same people), someone concluded that they had to be dealt with as a single unit.

Put differently, only one of the three being perceived as a threat likely put the other two at jeopardy.

Somebody in this volatile mix of crime, drugs, and dirty money felt extremely vulnerable to take on the task of murdering three people--at least one of which must have been looked upon as a serious threat to another person's (or organization's) freedom, livelihood, or survival.

Ilona, Gianni, and Sal (or possibly, only one of them) got way in over their heads. What may have started as something they felt was of limited risk led to a lethal association with heartless, savage animals.

This is what keeps bugging me too - why all three of them? Was only one of them really the target? If so, which one and why? The fact that Ilona was shot so many times initially made me think she could've been the target, but then I start asking myself why and it seems more likely that the target was Sal or Gianni and she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I wonder if we'll ever know. I feel so bad for all of them and their loved ones.

If Gianni was at the mall during his conversation with cousin/uncle, why wasn't he answering Ilona's calls to pick her up? She finally called Sal to come get her, then called hospitals and at least one jail looking for him but the cousin/uncle thought Gianni was at the mall to pick her up when they were talking and then interrupted/disconnected - so why wasn't Gianni answering any of Ilona's calls?

He was probably already dead. The last known person he saw was Chance Feller, who he purchased Xanax from @ approximately 11 p.m., place undisclosed, only that Gianni was in the vicinity of the mall @11:28 p.m. I presume he parked in a dimly lit area either to conduct the drug transaction or use drugs, since Ilona seemed unaware his vehicle was close by.

The last known person he talked to was his cousin Mario Donato. He called him @11:33 p.m., probably killing time while he waited for Ilona to get off work at midnight. Mario said Gianni appeared distracted by someone or something, and the call was disconnected @11:43 p.m., after Gianni asked him to "wait or hold on". However, I remember a report that he was interrupted by an incoming call (Ilona?). Attempts to call him back went unanswered and Gianni's phone was turned off a few minutes later.

It's likely this is the time and place Gianni was shot in the head in the driver's seat of his car, then moved to the passenger seat that was found covered in blood. A half hour later, Carlo approached Ilona to ask directions to a mall restaurant, 1 1/2 hours later, @1:13 a.m., Ilona called 911, presumably to report Sal had been shot. Maybe she tossed the cocaine baggies out the window, realizing this would soon be a crime scene with police presence.

I don't recall what time Ilona called Gianni, unbeknownst to her he was already there to pick her up, or the time she called Sal, only that he did not answer his cell so she called the Belvedere's home land line. I also don't remember what time Sal arrived, but believe it to be around 12:30 a.m., which makes sense if she left work at 12:10 a.m. Apparently, she stood outside the mall where Carlo remained watching her for an undisclosed amount of time.

Ilona and Sal sat in the car for 40 minutes, attempting to locate Gianni. She must have been frantic, prompting her to call hospitals and county jail. They would probably be alive today, had they immediately left the parking lot. Having pieced all this together, it appears Gianni was the target. Maybe Carlo was watching Ilona to see if she might walk around the parking lot to look for Gianni. Given the time frames, it's possible Carlo acted alone. He obviously knew her, perhaps only to place Gianni at a known location to carry out his murder. Maybe "The Assassin" liked the rush and his shooting spree that took the lives of Ilona and Sal was unplanned. There's no way he'd have known they would remain in the mall parking lot like sitting ducks.

Considering the chaos the car scene must have been, I am not sold on Ilona using in front of Sal. Maybe she was lighting a cigarette? Maybe the lighter had originally been in her purse but spilled during the attack? There's too many other scenarios, imo.

I agree. A cigarette pack was found with a hat and cocaine baggies on the ground at the crime scene.

The cocaine remains a mystery. Sal, Gianni and Ilona DID NOT test positive for cocaine. The search warrant for Derek Padilla (coke dealer) was to determine if he was a murder suspect. There was no mention of an interview with Derek, like the other two dealers, who cooperated and confirmed their drug dealing relationships with Gianni. I imagine the focus with these two was to solve a triple murder, not their illegal drug activity, as neither was charged with a crime. Padilla was charged with drug sales and child endangerment, after an undercover buy sent him to county jail, with a scheduled release date next month, circumstances that probably led to his sealed lips.

It's unclear who the coke baggies belong to. I believe they were close to empty, with only trace amounts. Fingerprints are a reliable source for DNA, it seems the user's DNA would be discovered. Perhaps Ilona's co-worker, and she gave them to Ilona so her boyfriend wouldn't find them. Maybe Carlo dropped them, or intentionally left them to throw off investigators. I'm more inclined to believe Ilona tossed them before calling 911.

I don't recall what time Ilona called Gianni, unbeknownst to her he was already there to pick her up, or the time she called Sal, only that he did not answer his cell so she called the Belvedere's home land line. I also don't remember what time Sal arrived, but believe it to be around 12:30 a.m., which makes sense if she left work at 12:10 a.m. Apparently, she stood outside the mall where Carlo remained watching her for an undisclosed amount of time.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...le-Homicide-Christmas-Killings-273601641.html

Homicide investigators tracked Salvatore's phone from the Belvedere home to the mall. He's believe to have arrived around 12:45 a.m.

Flint had tried to get a hold of Gianni after she got off work that night, calling him at least five times. Her last attempt was made at 1:05 a.m. She never reached him.

Salvatore and Flint sat in the mall parking lot for at least 20 minutes after Ilona left work, Norris testified.

Worried for Gianni, Flint called jails and hospitals trying to find him. The only other people she called that night, according to detective testimony, were the Belvedere brothers.

I agree. A cigarette pack was found with a hat and cocaine baggies on the ground at the crime scene.

The cocaine remains a mystery. Sal, Gianni and Ilona DID NOT test positive for cocaine. The search warrant for Derek Padilla (coke dealer) was to determine if he was a murder suspect. There was no mention of an interview with Derek, like the other two dealers, who cooperated and confirmed their drug dealing relationships with Gianni. I imagine the focus with these two was to solve a triple murder, not their illegal drug activity, as neither was charged with a crime. Padilla was charged with drug sales and child endangerment, after an undercover buy sent him to county jail, with a scheduled release date next month, circumstances that probably led to his sealed lips.

It's unclear who the coke baggies belong to. I believe they were close to empty, with only trace amounts. Fingerprints are a reliable source for DNA, it seems the user's DNA would be discovered. Perhaps Ilona's co-worker, and she gave them to Ilona so her boyfriend wouldn't find them. Maybe Carlo dropped them, or intentionally left them to throw off investigators. I'm more inclined to believe Ilona tossed them before calling 911.

Could they have been selling the Coke to buy Heroin?
Seems like a hefty habit they had.
so young to die this way.

Since Gianni was there around 11:40 and Ilona got off work about midnight, wouldn't she have known he was already there waiting for her?

About the phone numbers in the search warrants:

619-730-xxxx: Gianni
619-877-xxxx: Dad L.B.
619-244-xxxx: Cousin/uncle M.D.
619-964-xxxx D.P. dealer
619-348-xxxx: Missed caller to AN's (dealer) number

Tower dump numbers from Events 1, 2 and 3:
Event 1 - (CM was observed on cell phone at mall) 619-587-xxxx called 619-587-xxxx
Event 2 (CM observed following Ilona) - 619-587-xxxx called 619-964-xxxx
Event 3 - (IF and A&G 911 calls) 619-587-xxxx called 858-880-xxxx

Ilona and Sal sat in the car for 40 minutes, attempting to locate Gianni. She must have been frantic, prompting her to call hospitals and county jail.

If my boyfriend didn't pick me up on time from work (and he usually did--thankfully his brother showed up to pick me up in his dad's car), and I couldn't reach him on the phone...why, exactly, would I wait in the same location for 40 minutes trying to locate him by first calling hospitals and the county jail?

What exactly would I be worried about, and why would I preferentially call these locations?

Would it only be because I thought he had OD'ed, had been incapacitated to such an extent that he could not call me, or had been arrested?

(Not to mention that because of confidentiality concerns, would any hospital or jail tell me if he was a patient/inmate one way or another--especially if I wasn't his spouse?)

Ilona didn't know that Gianni had spoken to Mario. (Did Sal know that conversation took place?) Why no initial calls to close family or friends?

Ilona's behavior documented by cell phone records makes me think they knew Gianni was in danger already.

There's no way he'd have known they would remain in the mall parking lot like sitting ducks.

This point is important. Despite their fears, Ilona and Sal themselves must have felt relatively safe.

Perhaps they were engaged in wishful thinking, believing that if they simply waited where Gianni was supposed to arrive, they could breathe a deep sigh of relief when he finally showed up. After all, they were in a public parking lot with at least some lighting, and there were still a few people around.

They underestimated the only predator we know of in their midst, who gambled that if he waited (40 minutes), he could strike with the least potential for discovery.

.............. snipped from post........................................................................................................................

Ilona and Sal sat in the car for 40 minutes, attempting to locate Gianni. She must have been frantic, prompting her to call hospitals and county jail. They would probably be alive today, had they immediately left the parking lot.

...........snipped.........There's no way he'd have known they would remain in the mall parking lot like sitting ducks.

obmama, I snipped these parts out of your posts because they really got me thinking in that direction. Thanks.
You're onto something.

Snipped and BBM

Ilona and Sal sat in the car for 40 minutes, attempting to locate Gianni. She must have been frantic, prompting her to call hospitals and county jail. They would probably be alive today, had they immediately left the parking lot. Having pieced all this together, it appears Gianni was the target. Maybe Carlo was watching Ilona to see if she might walk around the parking lot to look for Gianni. Given the time frames, it's possible Carlo acted alone. He obviously knew her, perhaps only to place Gianni at a known location to carry out his murder. Maybe "The Assassin" liked the rush and his shooting spree that took the lives of Ilona and Sal was unplanned. There's no way he'd have known they would remain in the mall parking lot like sitting ducks.

Another point that supports the theory that Gianni was the target and that Ilona and Sal were possibly just added opportunistically is that CM could not have known that it would be Sal that would come to pick Ilona up after she called the house when Gianni did not respond to her. Other members of the Belvedere family were also known to pick her up.

With all the information in the warrants, I may have missed something. Is it certain GB was seen at the mall? Or just that his phone was pinged there? Is it certain that GB called his cousin at 11:33?
I think the warrant stated Gianni's "phone dialed" Mario Donato's phone at 11:30. I know I'm spitting hairs, I need to find the warrant again where I read this, since they confirmed a conversation with his cousin, I thought the wording was unusual and up for interpretation. Did anyone else read this? I need to find where I read this...

With all the information in the warrants, I may have missed something. Is it certain GB was seen at the mall? Or just that his phone was pinged there? Is it certain that GB called his cousin at 11:33?
I think the warrant stated Gianni's "phone dialed" Mario Donato's phone at 11:30. I know I'm spitting hairs, I need to find the warrant again where I read this, since they confirmed a conversation with his cousin, I thought the wording was unusual and up for interpretation. Did anyone else read this? I need to find where I read this...

Welcome again Mlk! There is no visual of GB at the mall...just the phone pings and it would make sense that he would be there around the ping time to wait for Ilona. It was also stated early on that anyone picking up Ilona would park in the same area in the lot. Another sitting duck situation :facepalm:

Amazing I feel a little more caught up on the search warrants! Terribly sleuther I am! So after reading more on the warrants I have a few questions:

- On SW #46043 (page2) it states that GB the missing "at risk" person at that time was the registered owner of the vehicle the victims were seated in". It was GB's dad's car but registered to Gianni?

- After locking up at Cathy Jeans, Ilona's coworkers BF saw and unidentified male, light complexion, wearing "black sweater, tan pants, white tennis shoes. (No mention of stripes on the biceps anywhere in the description or cctv or curly hair?)

- AN drug supplier continues to deny any romantic relationship with GB. Why did she text him and ask if he was "ok"?

- Also from SW #46043 (page 4) the witnesses in the parking lot see an unidentified man, unknown race, light complexion, dark curly hair, with black sweater with white bands on biceps and tan pants. Why was there no mention of this through cctv and co-workers BF? What was GB wearing when found?

- Last but not least...who was the relative who introduce GB to Chance Fellers for the purpose of obtaining illegal substances?

I know these are still lingering questions for which no one has the answers but dang it I want to know!!! :rollercoaster:

Thinking back to the pics, it's kind of strange, if Sal and Ilona were just parked there, trying to find Gianni by phone, that their car would be at the odd angle it was found, and so close to the car next to it.

This is a very complicated case, isn't it? I find what everyone has to say very helpful.
When this happened it was so shocking and such a mystery. Many of us know that mall and it was the holidays!
Despite CM's arrest and the warrants, it still remains a mystery as to how it came about, WHY, and if there was an accomplice.

For anyone not remembering the beginning of this case, I suggest going back to the first thread and the first page. Starting at TravelingBug's fascinating Post #23 and the 911 call she heard over the scanner, and later discussion on whether the car had been moving, etc., There's also more pictures of the crime scene on Thread #1. (link below)

Thread #1
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...i-Leonardo-Belvedere-24-San-Diego-23-Dec-2013

I think that's it for search warrants. The dialogue was rather repetitious, but a valuable eye-opener to the availability of investigation tools our cell/smart phones present, as well as the groundbreaking impact DNA has on solving crimes. On the downside, it exemplifies privacy concerns and the possibility of wrongful suspicions, such as Leonard Belvedere's involvement. The poor man lost his two sons and future daughter-in-law to a violent crime, his family and business were subjected to speculation of criminal activities, and he was a suspect in their deaths because a bullet case found at the scene matched his firearm and DNA. I noted his birth date in the warrants, just one month older than me, and wondered how I'd hold up under these circumstances. Having said that, my future posts will be made with empathetic consideration for all family members who may look at this site for possible answers to the questions that mystify police.

Here's an overview of subjects referenced in the unsealed warrants.

1/17/14: #46043
-Leonard's cell 619-866-xxxx
-Gianni, at risk missing person, also person of interest in murders of Sal & Ilona

1/22/14: #46063
-Mario Donato's cell #1 619-244-xxxx Gianna called him at
& cell #2 619-xxxx he lent to cousin Paul Donato's estranged wife Rosier
-Alina Nuno's (marijuana/heroin? dealer) cell 619-730-xxxx
-11 missed calls & 1 hang-up from private # 619-348-xxxx to Nuno, Unknown
Referenced, but not available for viewing, warrant #45975 & #45976 to obtain Nuno's cell phone records.
After Alina texted Gianni 12/24 "are you all right?", she reset phone, so search revealed nothing.

4/7/14: #46557
-Derek Padilla's (coke dealer) cell 619-964-xxxx
address 4621 [modsnip]
vehicle 2010 white Toyota 4Runner
No link to murders, other than determine he's not a suspect

6/4/14: #46712
-cell phone records collected from tower dump, CP-1 possibly Carlo, called 2, 3 & 4,
-619-587-xxxx (CP-1), 619-964-xxxx (CP-2), 619-587-xxxx (CP-3), 858-880-xxxx (CP-4)
Unsuccessful pursuit (most likely a family of shoppers looking for each other)

6/3/14: #46916 -
-Cathy Jean Shoes land line 619-*advertiser censored*-xxxx for inbound call records
Unsuccessful
-Nathan Jones, Ilona's stepfather 801-*advertiser censored*-xxxx she accused of being serial killer
-Columbia State Bank [modsnip] (Antoinette)
-Zion's 1st National Bank in Salt Lake City (Sal, Gianni & Leonardo)

6/3/14: #46917 - Duplicate of above

6/20/14: #47060
-Carlo Mercado residence 8727 Westmore Rd Unit 9 in Mira Mesa
-Carlo's 2001 white Ford Explorer

7/18/14: #47248
-Carlo Mercado computer records
-Carlo's email: <modsnip>
Search warrant (x-warrant-1) -

-Chance Feller & relationship w/Gianni (Xanax dealer)
-Gianni's email: <modsnip>

[Thanks SDHELPs.QUOTE=SDHELPS;10930113]Welcome marmexdf and Mlk! :welcome6:[/QUOTE]

:kickcan: I wonder how surprised or shocked CM's family is that he is in such deep trouble. He might face the Death Penalty or Life in Prison. Did they see that side of him that fancied himself an assassin wantabe? Who'd he hang around with? Working for eight yrs. for the same company sounds like a fairly steady employee. (Payday, Payday, R.I.P, Payday)

Not that we can sleuth his family members, but I'm curious if both his parents are still alive, and how many brothers and sisters he has. Wonder who in that family was said to know someone in the brother's family.

:kickcan: Another wild thought I had was if he had a motorcycle accident in conjunction with needing to borrow a car, or take time off from work, etc., Then, the big question is where was Gianni's car during that time.

Another wild thought I had was if he had a motorcycle accident in conjunction with needing to borrow a car, or take time off from work, etc., Then, the big question is where was Gianni's car during that time.

I have been thinking about the also. I don't remember reading anything about how long the ME estimated that Gianni had been dead when his body was discovered. Was he killed the same night as his brother and Ilona, or was he abducted and killed at a later time? Where was the car between Christmas eve and when it was found in Riverside two weeks later? Why would CM risk driving the car from San Diego to Riverside, and risk passing through a border patrol checkpoint (on I-15 just south of Temecula) with Gianni's body in the trunk, vice just abandoning the car somewhere closer. Were the air fresheners placed in the trunk when he abandoned the car in Riverside or were they used in an effort to mask the oder while the car was being kept in a location closer to his home?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back