CA - Harvey Weinstein trial on Sexual Harassment #metoo *Guilty in CA, NY Appeal*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reese Witherspoon, America Ferrera open up about sexual assault
Women share stories in wake of Weinstein scandal

(CNN) - Allegations of sexual misconduct against Harvey Weinstein have opened the tap in Hollywood for women to come forward and share their stories.

Actresses Reese Witherspoon and America Ferrara both revealed on Monday they were the victims of sexual assaults when they were younger.

Weinstein is now the subject of allegations from several women, ranging from harassment to rape. The mogul, through a spokesperson, has "unequivocally" denied "any allegations of non-consensual sex."

Witherspoon spoke Monday night at the 24th annual Elle Women in Hollywood awards held at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills, California...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/ente...-america-ferrera-open-up-about-sexual-assault

I hear you, I see you, I believe you.

RSBM

Going to try to say this carefully ---and I mean no disrespect to anyone to whom this doesn't apply : I wish some of the people who knew or saw what HW did had spoken out before now.
Referring to those who had careers that were pretty solid , and who might have had the means to go after him. People he couldn't really hurt.
Or is that wishful thinking ?? :(

Quoting my own post ......
There are some who were born into acting and are considered Hollywood 'royalty'. These are people who could have spoken out.
Women whose careers HW could not have hurt nor hindered.
This is not blaming the victim. Some victims were helpless and some might have had family or means to go after Weinstein years ago.

There were upcoming actresses who were essentially new to the industry and had no one (family, friends or financial means) to support them at all, like Ashley Judd. Ms. Judd was helpless against Weinstein or any other producer, etc. --who might have harassed her !
She had no one and that is why she had to stay silent until now. It would've meant her career and as unfair as that is-- it's how H-wood had rolled.

Really time for a big change in the film industry.

It wouldn't be surprising if this problem permeates other industries like music and fashion. :(

Then there were other actresses, who were born into the industry and had family and means to speak out against HW.
But it's also possible HW never harassed them., so they would've had nothing to speak out about ; at least against HW.

But am mainly speaking about others who might have been able to speak out against HW without any fear to their careers !
There is no blame to anyone women or men who stood to lose everything. Not their fault.
Have to make that clear so the true victim is not blamed.
:moo:

Oct 17 2017, 2:30 pm ET
Harvey Weinstein Resigns From His Company Following Scandal, Source Says
by Claire Atkinson

Harvey Weinstein resigned from the board of his company on Tuesday in a call with board members, a knowledgeable source told NBC News.

Weinstein, shunned by Hollywood after allegations of rape, assault and sex harassment, doesn’t think he violated his contract but agreed to step down from the Weinstein Co., according to the source...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...company-following-scandal-source-says-n811571

There are some who were born into acting and are considered Hollywood 'royalty'. These are people who could have spoken out.
This is not blaming the victim. Some victims were helpless and some might have had family or means to go after Weinstein years ago.

There were upcoming actresses who were essentially new to the industry and had no one (family, friends or financial means) to support them at all, like Ashley Judd. Ms. Judd was helpless against Weinstein or any other producer, etc. --who might have harassed her !
She had no one and that is why she had to stay silent until now. It would've meant her career and as unfair as that is-- it's how H-wood had rolled.

It wouldn't be surprising if this problem permeates other industries like music and fashion. :(

Then there were other actresses, who were born into the industry and had family and means to speak out against HW.
But it's also possible HW never harassed them., so they would've had nothing to speak out about ; at least against HW.

But am mainly speaking about others who might have been able to speak out against HW without any fear to their careers !
There is no blame to anyone women or men who stood to lose everything. Not their fault.

BBM

It's in other industries far beyond Hollywood, fashion, and music. Trust me.

jmo

A friend's relative had a terrible experience at the hands of a man who was a founder of a religious college .
Forgot if the name was Hyles' or Anderson... but men in positions of power sometimes abuse their authority.
If someone has rumors swirling around them... better be careful. Imo.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/18/mckayla-maroney-i-was-molested-before-winning-gold-medal/

"McKayla Maroney: I was molested before winning gold medal"

“Our silence has given the wrong people power for too long, and it’s time to take our power back. And remember, it’s never too late to speak up,” Maroney said in her statement.

There's a discussion thread about gymnasts molested by Dr. Larry Nassar. I added MM to the thread this morning.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...mnastics-Doctor-Larry-Nassar-Charged-With-CSA

For Some Sexual Assault Survivors, Harvey Weinstein News Can Be Triggering
by Elizabeth Chuck

The onslaught of headlines about Harvey Weinstein's sexual harassment scandal has struck a nerve across the country, particularly for some survivors of sexual assault.

"I can't look at Facebook without having a flashback," said a 43-year-old Seattle woman who is a survivor of childhood sexual assault. (NBC News doesn't generally identify sexual assault survivors and has respected the wishes of those who didn't want to be named in this article).

She described her social media feed as a "trigger factory."

"I'm glad people are telling their stories, but when they tell that story, what I hear is that there are so many more predators out there than we know," said the woman, who works in the tech industry...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...rvey-weinstein-news-can-be-triggering-n811496

You don't get to decide who is a true victim. Anyone who is a victim is a true victim. It is never an victim's responsibility to speak up and protect others. It is the responsibility of the perpetrator not to do it.

You don't get to decide who is a true victim. Anyone who is a victim is a true victim. It is never an victim's responsibility to speak up and protect others. It is the responsibility of the perpetrator not to do it.

RSBM

I didn't say the ones whose careers were successful weren't also victims.You misunderstood my post; but that's all right.
No harm, no foul. :)

Just that those who could speak up years ago did not.

Yes of course they are all victims. some with means to fight back and some who were new to the industry and had no one to help them. Like Ashley Judd.
So it's not up to us to decide who are the real victims, since they all are.
Probably with the actions being taken against Weinstein... the industry will change now-- and it will be permanent and have repercussions throughout not only the film industry, but music, fashion, etc.
It's a good time to get into show business, a music career, or whatever.
Everything is changing , and swiftly.

Harvard rescinds medal awarded to Harvey Weinstein in 2014
Recipients include Muhammad Ali, Steven Spielberg

By JULIA HOROWITZ

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - Harvard has decided to strip Harvey Weinstein of an award it gave him in 2014.

The Hutchins Center for African and African American Research voted unanimously on Wednesday to rescind Weinstein's W. E. B. Du Bois Medal. The movie mogul has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by dozens of women in recent weeks. The allegations span nearly three decades.

"We stand with the women who have courageously come forward to fight for themselves and indeed for all of those who have experienced similar abuse," the center's executive committee said in a statement...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/money/harvard-rescinds-medal-awarded-to-harvey-weinstein-in-2014

Not Harvey (that we know of...predator is unnamed here), but to the point of not speaking up until later in life:

"Actress Laura Dern was sexually assaulted and harassed — but had justified it for years until recently coming forward....

"And it was my mom who said, 'No, no, no, Laura — that was sexual assault. That was harassment. That was assault. No, you were 14 then" she continued."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...s-sexually-assaulted-age-14-article-1.3573879

Until names are named these celebrities these revelations that are being made is merely another performance and a way to get publicity. Hollywood is so vocal when it comes to causes, yet this one against women in their own industry is right under their noses and appears to be a not so secret thing in Hollywood and there are no consequences for the abusers. By not naming names, they continue to be part of the huge cover-up and will just continue. The only way the truth will come out for many will be with a subpoena.

BBC article naming names -

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41580010

Am amazed BBC have this in the entertainment section but it is clear it was common knowledge. This was clearly an open secret in Hollywood and I have to wonder which executive is next.

Always thought the "casting couch" was last century but apparently not.

It’s shocking and then again not shocking this horrendous scandal. I really hope he gets sued and is prosecuted either in the States or the U.K. Marchesa is finished as a brand unless it gets sold and even then it may struggle. I can see the Weinstein Company closing doors in the near future it certainly won’t continue under the same name and leadership. It is sinister that a company was willing to pay off multiple women accusers with company funds surely that can’t be legal?

I don’t believe Meryl Streep was “off the grid” for several days. If as I suspect she was in Croatia filming Mamma Mia 2 it is ridiculous to say Croatia is off the grid it has high speed internet everywhere. Her publicist or manager would have called her or at the very least family. Clearly she adopted a wait and see strategy and then went into panic mode when it backfired on her.
Greg, I would not be surprised if there ends up being criminal charges. Some of these offences took place at European Film Festivals.

Good morning dear BetteDavisEyes,

Your post about Rose Marie is a real eye-opener.

This sentence by Rose Marie gives me hope:

"But it’s also different, she said: In contrast to the silence of her day, women are now speaking up against sexual coercion and taking action... "

The way that actors are forced to either submit to the sexual assault or refuse it makes me feel so sad. When they rebuke the sexual advances then they are shunned from the industry. Anyone who "submits" to these predators have to carry that decision all their lives. It's a horrid situation for anyone to be in, in any business.

The abusers who hold this power over them, to me, are "dream stealers". These actors have a dream to act and they are passionate about it.

It just makes me so sad that their dreams were torn away from them because of sexual predators.
They're criminals and that's that. An arrest should be made. Plenty of evidence by the looks of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back