Deceased/Not Found CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since there has been so very little info released by LE, and almost nothing more than a couple of short pieces of security cam video released that were leaked to MSM, we are left to look elsewhere for info, and those sources may not always be reliable. So pretty much everything posted in here about this case is "speculation". Sometimes posters just neglect to note it as such. It is up to each of us to decide for ourselves whether we want to accept something that has been speculated as fact. JMO

Agree with this! I am not so sure that people are saying the Sun story is a proven fact. Considering that we went weeks without any new information on this case, and all of a sudden the Sun story drops. Is it true, are parts of it true, or is none of it true? We don't know. But at least it kept the discussion about Heidi going. So, I can understand peoples hesitancy to believe the Sun story, considering the source, but is it possible it happened this way? Absolutely. But is it also possible it was all made up by someone (Ms. Maserati) for whatever reason. Absolutely. Either way, it has kept up interest in the case and that is a good thing. MOO

Have there been any updates regarding the landfill search? Is the search still ongoing?

I look for news on this case daily, and have seen no updates at all pertaining to the search, since it was first reported on Nov 9, with a statement that LE expected it to take maybe 7-10 days. Like you, I am questioning if the search is still going on. I would love if someone local would chime in here, because I have heard that there have been storms that may have made it highly unlikely that the search could be continued for several days, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was suspended during the holidays due to manpower inadequacies, but as to whether it has or will resume, if it has been halted, I would love to know. JMO

Checking in to see if Heidi has been found . . . seems not. Such a tragedy, and sad Christmas for her son and loved ones. Not knowing what happened has to be the worst. Moo
What's interesting is that there haven't even been updates in the sense of saying that there's no new information. Isn't it typical for updates to be given about how a search is still going on but there have been no new leads or discoveries? This makes me wonder what's going on and if something is being investigated that LE isn't able to share publicly.

Ok sleuths…in your opinion does the silence likely mean that they have found something and/or are still looking further and making a case or do you think this means they may have hit a dead end with their lead/s and this is going cold? Not just asking for your hunch at this point as it could be either since we don’t know enough but wondering more so on anyone’s familiarities with other similar cases what you think this silence and no updates from LE might most likely mean?

Ok sleuths…in your opinion does the silence likely mean that they have found something and/or are still looking further and making a case or do you think this means they may have hit a dead end with their lead/s and this is going cold? Not just asking for your hunch at this point as it could be either since we don’t know enough but wondering more so on anyone’s familiarities with other similar cases what you think this silence and no updates from LE might most likely mean?

I’ve followed a lot of cases over the years, and IMO, this type of total silence from LE means they know what happened but need to follow up on investigative —stuff— before they can make a next move. If they need help or want to stir the pot and spook persons of interest, they hold a press conference or release information. The total silence tells me they do not need help or tips.

Honestly, the covid situation/employee shortage in basically every profession/weather/time of year (holidays) is probably just slowing things down a ton.

I’ve followed a lot of cases over the years, and IMO, this type of total silence from LE means they know what happened but need to follow up on investigative —stuff— before they can make a next move. If they need help or want to stir the pot and spook persons of interest, they hold a press conference or release information. The total silence tells me they do not need help or tips.

Honestly, the covid situation/employee shortage in basically every profession/weather/time of year (holidays) is probably just slowing things down a ton.

They need the remains/body before making an arrest.

They need the remains/body before making an arrest.

Right. And even if they already found remains, there could be a backup getting lab results back right now, etc. They aren’t necessarily going to keep the public updated every step of the way.

Personally, I don’t think we will hear much of anything until news of an arrest.

It is my understanding that they have not resumed the search.

Oh! How did you arrive at that understanding?
The Chiquita Canyon landfill still has the notice up on its website that it is cooperating with LAPD investigation’s search for evidence.
Yes, it has been raining- off and on for the past 2 weeks, and sometimes a relatively lot for our S Cal region. S Cal and most of the state benefitted from an Atmospheric River just before Christmas Eve. Then Castaic where the landfill is located got another 2.73 inches during the past 72 hours- DTLA got 4.71 inches, a veritable deluge for LA. But the rains are over for the foreseeable future, unfortunate for our devastatingly short on water state.

Right. And even if they already found remains, there could be a backup getting lab results back right now, etc. They aren’t necessarily going to keep the public updated every step of the way.

Personally, I don’t think we will hear much of anything until news of an arrest.
Often police will announce they have found remains/partial remains before they confirm the identity of those remains.

The article in the most recent Los Angeles magazine says that LAPD is still asking for volunteers to help them search landfills and they are looking in two particular landfills.

I may be wrong, but I would frankly be surprised if they are asking for just random people to come search a landfill for human remains or other evidence in a possible criminal case. I think that was probably misreported or poorly worded. JMO

I may be wrong, but I would frankly be surprised if they are asking for just random people to come search a landfill for human remains or other evidence in a possible criminal case. I think that was probably misreported or poorly worded. JMO

I agree. The actual quote from the Dec 9 article

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog...-bizarre-mystery-of-missing-mom-heidi-planck/

is:

"Detectives are not treating this as just another missing-person case,” understates an LAPD source with knowledge of the investigation. “Homicide is still asking for volunteers for the landfill searches.”

Assuming the above source has correct information, I think it means Homicide is seeking volunteers from other depts in the LAPD, not from the general public. They probably need volunteers because the LAPD as a whole can't just stop investigating other crimes to search a landfill for one body and may not be able to pay overtime.

JMO

I agree. The actual quote from the Dec 9 article

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog...-bizarre-mystery-of-missing-mom-heidi-planck/

is:

"Detectives are not treating this as just another missing-person case,” understates an LAPD source with knowledge of the investigation. “Homicide is still asking for volunteers for the landfill searches.”

Assuming the above source has correct information, I think it means Homicide is seeking volunteers from other depts in the LAPD, not from the general public. They probably need volunteers because the LAPD as a whole can't just stop investigating other crimes to search a landfill for one body and may not be able to pay overtime.

JMO

Given that this is from Dec. 9, I don't see it as 'current' status....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back