CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the first time he was asked he said to Imes he didn't remember what they talked about.

The second time he was asked it seems being asked about Joey's demeanor may have sparked his memory, and what he remembered matched with what he had reported to police in 2010.

It just shows he is being honest and had not worried about rehearsing his evidence IMO.
Actually IMO he was shown a transcript or LE report from 2014. It's not confirmed, but makes sense, it just wasn't shown in testimony. Imes gave it to him before court was in session if I understand the testimony correctly. Which I don't really understand, I guess it looks more like Mike "remembered" if he didn't have to be shown in front of the jury to refresh his recollection.

But if Mike talked to him on the 1st for the last time, that was before Chase was writing cheques, right? I just don't know how reliable the timeline calls are that are posted in the main forum.

We don't know how many ways Chase was stealing from Joey. Maybe he found another way to steal a check?

The 1st was the first day that Chase created a stolen check, which he cashed on the 2nd. So the timing is pretty close.

I think he added the details of the time he did actually stop by, in his work truck, on the 13th. He mixed the dates up, most likely.

If the defense is going to try and make it look like Mike is the real killer, it is going to fail, in my opinion.

Do you think he took his whole family in his work truck? I do not believe they would all fit, but I guess anything is possible.

I don't think the defense has even implied that Mike was involved, do you?

I remember this now and was somewhat confused at the time, but now I get it. At about 43:00 of Day 4 Part 1 Maline asks Mike about reading a page from a transcript/police report before court that Imes gave him to read. It was after this that Imes asks him about the last phone call. I am curious when that transcript/report was from, my guess would be 2014.
My guess would be 2010. Because in the next sentence Imes said "later, in 2013".

I think he added the details of the time he did actually stop by, in his work truck, on the 13th. He mixed the dates up, most likely.

If the defense is going to try and make it look like Mike is the real killer, it is going to fail, in my opinion.

LE DID get a warrant for MM's phone records. It's in the McStay forum under "Warrants". He's a victim in this case.

We don't know how many ways Chase was stealing from Joey. Maybe he found another way to steal a check?

The 1st was the first day that Chase created a stolen check, which he cashed on the 2nd. So the timing is pretty close.

But you would agree that LE has probably checked this out right? If they have any evidence that Chase stole anything previous to the 2nd, it would just add to the motive and would be absolutely stupid if they didn't use that in this trial. IMO

This was Mike’s work truck.

Thanks. MMs truck looks nothing like CMs. It looks to be a smaller truck than the one CM had, and looks like a different make, and model altogether.

An aside: I dont see an issue even if MM did pass by the home that day although I think it was done much later.

If he didnt see Joey's vehicle there he wouldn't have stopped anyway.

It's so hard for witnesses to have total recall in cases this old, where the victims went missing many, many years ago.

Plus family members are emotional at the time trying to figure out where their loved ones could have gone. They had a lot on their plate for quite awhile.

Sometimes when they are asked to recall certain specific times/dates or events it's all a blur in their memory due to processing so many things at one time.

My heart goes out to MM, and all of the families involved who have lost loved ones in this case.

MM, and Summer may have had a silly disagreement, like in laws tend to do, from time to time, but the important thing to MM, and Susan, imo, they both knew Joey loved her dearly, and she made Joey very happy.

It didnt really matter what others saw or didn't see in Summer. It only mattered what Joey saw, and evidently she was much more special, than some have made her out to be, and she was the love of his life.

I think not only was Summer a momma bear when it came to her babies, but she would stand up to anyone who she felt was taking advantage of her sweet hubby as well.

I'm sure CM didn't like that, and others she may have stood up to if she thought Joey was being taken advantage by anyone. Sometimes, especially men, and even some women, doesn't like a powerful woman who speaks their mind.

Imo

Last edited:
But you would agree that LE has probably checked this out right? If they have any evidence that Chase stole anything previous to the 2nd, it would just add to the motive and would be absolutely stupid if they didn't use that in this trial. IMO

Of course. But it is obvious that Mike is very bad with dates. and if this is the 2nd instead of the 1st, then it is possible that Joey found out about the cashed check that day.

@travelbug & @missy1974, thank you both so much! Luckily for me it's Friday and my girlfriend has her kids this weekend so looks like I'm gonna have a weekend full of youtube trial watching. Sometimes I wonder what my friends in my real life think about me when they hear this is how I spend my free time :) My girlfriend seems to have accepted it to the point that she messages me any article or social media post she sees that have to do with missing persons.

Also, 4 years later, would they be able to trace everything that Chase was doing, secretly and fraudulently?

Gina Watson and the MSM manager, both told stories about Chase stealing expensive supplies from Joey and using them for his own projects to collect on. And taking money from Joey to purchase supplies, and the he desert use it for that at all, leaving joey to pay twice.

Do you think he took his whole family in his work truck? I do not believe they would all fit, but I guess anything is possible.

I don't think the defense has even implied that Mike was involved, do you?

It seems they are trying hard to place MM's work truck at the Fallbrook home on the 4th, perhaps instead of Chases's truck.

And cross opened with them asking about the family squabble--and why Mike didnt get along with Joey and Summer, etc..

And they always highlight the fact that Mike didnt report the family missing as quickly as some would.

Thanks. MMs truck looks nothing like CMs. It looks to be a smaller truck than the one CM had, and looks like a different make, and model altogether.

An aside: I dont see an issue even uf MM did pass by the home that day although I think it was done much later.

If he didnt see Joey's vehicle there he wouldn't have stopped anyway.

It's so hard for witnesses to have total recall in cases thus old, where the victims went missing many, many years ago.

Plus family members are emotional at the time trying to figure out where their loved ones could have gone.

Sometimes when they are asked to recall certain specific times/dates or events it's all a blur in their memory due to processing so many things at one time.

My heart goes out to MM, and all of the families involved who have lost loved ones in this case.

MM, and Summer may have had a silly disagreement, like in laws tend to do, from time to time, but the important thing to MM, and Susan, imo, they both knew Joey loved her dearly, and she made Joey very happy.

It didnt really matter what others saw in Summer. It only mattered what Joey saw, and evidently she was much more, than some have made her out to be, and was the love of his life.

I think not only was Summer a momma bear when it came to her babies, but she would stand up to anyone who she felt was taking advantage of her sweet hubby as well.

I'm sure CM didnt like that, and others she ay have stood up to if she thought Joey was being taken advantage by anyone.

Imo

BBM I agree ocean, I don't think he would have stopped if the Trooper wasn't there. I also agree about memory, especially years later, this is why LE statements are used to refresh the memory. We can only hope that the reports are accurate, which is not always the case IMO.

RSBM
Q That transaction of February 1st where Charles Merritt was added as a vendor, did that occur from either the laptop of the McStays or the desktop of the McStays?
A No, it did not.
Q So, it didn’t happen from either of them?
A It did not happen from either the desktop or the laptop.
Q After a vendor, the vendor charles merritt, all lower case was added, what happened, what did you learn happened next? And you can view this chronologically as you’re looking at the records.
A If I can review my report, I can give you better times and dates as far as when the checks happened.
MR. DAUGHERTY: With the Court’s permission?
THE COURT: Sure.
(Brief pause.)
THE WITNESS: Okay, on February 1st, 2010, at 12:24 P.M., Joseph McStay, the user Joseph McStay added Charles Merritt as a vendor. The next activity was at 12:34 P.M., where there was a check made out to charles merritt, all lower-case letters, for the amount of $2500. The memo line on that one said: “deposit.”
Q (By Mr. Daugherty) What else did you see happen on the 1st?
A At 12:37 P.M., there was another check added to charles merritt, for the same amount, $2500. The memo line also stated: “deposit.”
Q Is that all lower case under charles merritt?
A It is.
Q How about on the memo line, “deposit.” Is that all lower case?
A It’s all lower case.
Q Now, on the Contact side of the account, would Joseph put information on the memo lines, occasionally?
A Yes, he did.
Q Did he capitalize the first letters?
A Yes, he did.

Of course. But it is obvious that Mike is very bad with dates. and if this is the 2nd instead of the 1st, then it is possible that Joey found out about the cashed check that day.
Good point, particularly since it was cashed at Union Bank which is the same bank Joey used. In that case I don't think the cheque would take the normal 3 days to clear, if the bank has paid out cash on it it would probably be debited to Joey's account same day.

IMO

The timeline it the McStay forum shows it as the 1st being the last call with Mike, that's why I was wondering if it was accurate and wondering where they came from.

The prosecutor also wrote it on their calendar they have been using in trial as the 1st, so it's likely that is correct according to them IMO

Good point, particularly since it was cashed at Union Bank which is the same bank Joey used. In that case I don't think the cheque would take the normal 3 days to clear, if the bank has paid out cash on it it would probably be debited to Joey's account same day.

IMO

But the last time Mike talked to him was the 1st.

Ford Ranger. I hope the defense tries to bring this up. They'll look quite foolish trying to link it to the truck in the video imo.

Me too. MMs truck looks nothing like CMs truck. Nothing like it at all.

If they now try to blame MM, then what about OS when they say DK did it?

Or are they planning on throwing as many SODDIs into the mix. like spaghetti on the wall hoping one will stick? LOL!

I sure hope so!

Most juries I've seen don't like it when witnesses who are family members of the victims, are getting beaten up by the defense, and falsely accused of ANYTHING!

In fact, imo, most jurors have an instant recoil when the defendant tries to blame someone else who is not the one on trial!

Look at how many times that same defense claim has been used ad nauseam in murder trials, and look how many times it falls flat on its face! Lol!

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member