CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels like such a loose end, the "storage unit". Especially with those Chateau keys found buried with Joey. Does anyone have any idea if the storage pods that the McStays rented for their personal belongings were the portable kind? They would have needed Chateau-like locks as well. I wonder if the keys were ever tried on the McStay's personal storage? Does anyone know? That could explain what they were for. And if so, I wonder if Joey stopped by there that day.

If you were paying them, they should be included. But saying one “owns and occupies a 50,000+ sq. ft. facility” when they “might” have occupied approx. only 6,000 sq. ft. is something else. Also, I never was able to find any record of Joey owning the warehouse at that location.
Yes, that would be an unfortunate choice of words. “We have ...” would have been a bit more ambiguous.

Let’s say, just for the heck of it, that he was including the suite at Towne Ave and the suite at El Camino Real, in addition to the space at MSM. It is also possible a decade ago the suite at Towne Avenue was proportioned differently. That is quite common with industrial/commercial space. “My” suite is really 2 suites in the complex in which my company is located. It only has one suite number though. Sometimes, when I want to appear larger, I will show it as “Suites 110-112.”

I don’t suppose we will ever know from where he derived the square footage on the website, but I just don’t like to think he was outright making it up.

I wonder if they ever looked into a storage facility in Summer’s name? It makes sense that they would have had one to store their belongings in prior to the move to Fallbrook especially knowing they lived with Susan between homes.
Do we know if they tried to find one under EIP? TIA!

If there is any truth to what was said in court by McGee, her account of what happened has not changed. I don't think that helps the prosecution at all.

This is what McGee said in court:

McGee tells the judge, I can inform the court that the interviews that Ms. Jarvis had with LE, that is what she kept telling them, that is a review of the conversation, and the officers kept telling her that can't be right, you're wrong, he wasn't there, she like no, he was there, I saw his phone, she has said that since Feb 2010, and they started trying to trip her up, saying well what about this? and trying to change her testimony and change her statement, they were trying to realistically manufacture evidence that he wasn't home. And she was very clear in Feb 2010, she's been very clear in all emails with other people and very clear with SB, he was home when that phone rang, I saw it ring and I wondered why he wasn't picking it up. So this is not Mr. Merritt trying to convince Ms. Jarvis what to say, this is a rendition of the statements she has said since day 1. Even though LE tried to get her to change her story, I shouldn't say that, SBSD tried to get her to change that story, she has stuck to it, and she (someone says something).. McGee: even under threat of arrest, they were threatening her if you are going with this, then you're an accomplice and we are going to arrest you too, she still held her ground, that's what happened, and that's what the conversation was, it was not Mr. Merritt trying to tell her what to say, it was a reminder of the recorded conversation and the contents of it.

(bbm)

Iève been wondering this for awhile. How does one see a cell phone ring ... hear it I can understand but we see text messages not ringing (perhaps wrong choice of words by whoever reported she said that)

and lets talk about what kind of phone he had and how it would indicate a phonecall

Last edited:
Yes, that would be an unfortunate choice of words. “We have ...” would have been a bit more ambiguous.

Let’s say, just for the heck of it, that he was including the suite at Towne Ave and the suite at El Camino Real, in addition to the space at MSM. It is also possible a decade ago the suite at Towne Avenue was proportioned differently. That is quite common with industrial/commercial space. “My” suite is really 2 suites in the complex in which my company is located. It only has one suite number though. Sometimes, when I want to appear larger, I will show it as “Suites 110-112.”

I don’t suppose we will ever know from where he derived the square footage on the website, but I just don’t like to think he was outright making it up.

The 50,000 sq ft warehouse info existed on the website before he was even working with MSM. I don't think it's that big of a deal IMO Making his business look bigger than it was, looks more legit, and really... who was going to search for that before they went missing? Likely, no one, or not many. It was probably Dan that added that to the website anyway lol JMO

Iève been wondering this for awhile. How does one see a cell phone ring ... hear it I can understand but we see text messages not ringing

Most cell phones will light up when receiving a call, and you can often see the number that is calling in. If she said that she saw the cell phone ringing then it had to be very close within her visual field.

(bbm)

Iève been wondering this for awhile. How does one see a cell phone ring ... hear it I can understand but we see text messages not ringing

and lets talk about what kind of phone he had and how it would indicate a phonecall
Those are McGee's words... we don't know exactly what she said because she has not spoken to anyone about it publicly and we don't have her statements.

The 50,000 sq ft warehouse info existed on the website before he was even working with MSM. I don't think it's that big of a deal IMO Making his business look bigger than it was, looks more legit, and really... who was going to search for that before they went missing? Likely, no one, or not many. It was probably Dan that added that to the website anyway lol JMO

Maybe the size of the warehouse in addition to Dan’s SEO expertise are what attracted Saudi Arabia to EIP?

I wonder if they ever looked into a storage facility in Summer’s name? It makes sense that they would have had one to store their belongings in prior to the move to Fallbrook especially knowing they lived with Susan between homes.
Do we know if they tried to find one under EIP? TIA!

I would hope they search all possibilities....

youère right ... stupid idea

Nope, not at all! I thought maybe you knew :) I did find that there were phone's taken during the search warrant (page 225) where Chase and his gf lived... LOTS of phones! LOL Samsung T-mobile phone, an Iphone, samsung flip phones, Verizon LG phones, Nokia phone. I don't know if we can figure out which he would have used in early Feb 2010... and no way to know which of these phones were maybe his gf's.

I'm not sure what the first part of your post is in regards to?

As for the credit card statements, was the accountant given those? He also couldn't testify about the cheques that Chase wrote out of his account because he wasn't given those either.

I do expect to see more of the financial aspect of this, we will see :)
The first part of my post is in regards to the alleged cheque handover. Quite simply if there was no meeting Chase didn't get the cheques from Joey. That's the only reason it matters whether Chase met Joey on the 4th.

The prosecutors wouldn't be getting their witnesses to confirm the meeting is unverified by any independent evidence, if it was of no relevance, and the defense would have put it to the prosecution witnesses if there was evidence of the meeting they missed, including credit card records.

This was part of prosecution opening speech:-

"Remember during the course of the defendant’s interview and he said Joseph brought me cheques and I said wait a minute three days earlier he was already writing cheques"

The first part of my post is in regards to the alleged cheque handover. Quite simply if there was no meeting Chase didn't get the cheques from Joey. That's the only reason it matters whether Chase met Joey on the 4th.

The prosecutors wouldn't be getting their witnesses to confirm the meeting is unverified by any independent evidence, if it was of no relevance, and the defense would have put it to the prosecution witnesses if there was evidence of the meeting they missed, including credit card records.

"Remember during the course of the defendant’s interview and he said Joseph brought me cheques and I said wait a minute three days earlier he was already writing cheques"

Patrick has stated that Joey told him on Feb 4 that he was meeting Chase for lunch in RC that afternoon. Did he make that up?

Or, I know that you have posted before regarding a theory that Chase lured Joey up to RC under the pretense of wanting to discuss business but then didn't show up, leaving Joey waiting for him. I don't know why Chase would do that, because there would be no way of telling who Joey might have told that Chase blew him off which would then sort of ruin his story that they were meeting to discuss business and all was well. IMO.

oh ok, I was confused because I asked you about the pings and Starbucks.... lol

This makes sense though... although there was no printed cheque until the 2nd, so only 2 days before, not 3 ;)

When do you think Chase "stole" the cheques? The 2nd? The 1st? Previous to that?

As for the cc statements... the witness would have to have been given those to testify about them IMO I am not even sure he got them is what I was saying, he can't testify about something he has no knowledge of. The accountant's testimony and scope mainly focused on Merritt's bank statements and finances, that is what he was asked to look at and report on. He had 'some' additional information, but he did not have all of the information, as was shown with the cheques he did not receive.

It feels like such a loose end, the "storage unit". Especially with those Chateau keys found buried with Joey. Does anyone have any idea if the storage pods that the McStays rented for their personal belongings were the portable kind? They would have needed Chateau-like locks as well. I wonder if the keys were ever tried on the McStay's personal storage? Does anyone know? That could explain what they were for. And if so, I wonder if Joey stopped by there that day.
Wasn't there talk long ago that the key in Joey's pocket was to the storage unit? Maybe that was just idle chatter. I know that McGee said something in OS about the investigators not even trying that key anywhere. Maybe he was inferring it could have been a key to the trooper?

Patrick has stated that Joey told him on Feb 4 that he was meeting Chase for lunch in RC that afternoon. Did he make that up?

Or, I know that you have posted before regarding a theory that Chase lured Joey up to RC under the pretense of wanting to discuss business but then didn't show up, leaving Joey waiting for him. I don't know why Chase would do that, because there would be no way of telling who Joey might have told that Chase blew him off which would then sort of ruin his story that they were meeting to discuss business and all was well. IMO.

And meeting for lunch around 'lunch time' seems logical. IMO

Would it be so unusual for a business owner to embellish a little bit?

Wasn't there talk long ago that the key in Joey's pocket was to the storage unit? Maybe that was just idle chatter. I know that McGee said something in OS about the investigators not even trying that key anywhere. Maybe he was inferring it could have been a key to the trooper?

Yes iirc there was a key to the Trooper, which was not tested on the actual trooper until very recently. And there was a Chateau key in Joey's pocket, and another Chateau key I think found in the grave somewhere? Don't hold me to that, I might have the details mixed up. I don't know if the Chateau key(s) were ever tested on the McStay's personal storage unit(s)/pod(s).

He did have keys in his pocket, one was for the Trooper, the others looked like storage keys. McGee did say something in OS's about the key. Subsequently, Smith DID try the key in the Trooper and it did unlock and start the Trooper. I can't recall the exact date he tried it, but it was after the trial started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member