CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know WHY we have to wait. I just can't believe this trial has dragged on for so freaking long. Now we are so close and we still have to wait.

Personally, I feel that I’ve gotten very good at waiting, from practice. No trial on Friday? That’s routine. No trial on Monday? Been that way through half the trial. Only a half day? I’m thankful for getting that half day.

Whats everyone doing after the trial?

I intend to take a true crime break. I waited quite a while for McStay to start, and ended up watching the Packham Murder trial during it.

So now I will wait for an interesting trial and one with better camera coverage!

This is the hearing from Tuesday. It was a discovery hearing with Dr. Rudin. So far it's about communication, when, etc. Exhibit O that we heard addressed the other day during the motion for mistrial, is NOT anything to do with a trial exhibit, it is a court's exhibit and it is the communications between Rudin and Imes. It never made sense to me that it was the FARO scan, which was "Image O" within another exhibit, 1151 IIRC.

Personally, I feel that I’ve gotten very good at waiting, from practice. No trial on Friday? That’s routine. No trial on Monday? Been that way through half the trial. Only a half day? I’m thankful for getting that half day.

I was good at being patient even though it's quite infuriating given the contrast in other cases. But I had jaw surgery Wednesday morning and now I'm impatient and in a very bad mood. I want this trial over with.

Whats everyone doing after the trial?

I intend to take a true crime break. I waited quite a while for McStay to start, and ended up watching the Packham Murder trial during it.

So now I will wait for an interesting trial and one with better camera coverage!

Enjoy the summer and NOT watch any trials haha

I was good at being patient even though it's quite infuriating given the contrast in other cases. But I had jaw surgery Wednesday morning and now I'm impatient and in a very bad mood. I want this trial over with.
OUCH! I don't think I would have been able to keep up if it was Mon-Friday... 6 or 7 hours a day LOL But then again, it would have only been 3 or 4 weeks long :D LOL

Dr. Rudin did this case pro bono... Imes told him to stop working on it on Feb 15th... Rudin tells the judge, just because he says to stop doesn't mean I have to :D LOL That's how the pro bono thing comes up because McGee asks him, it's not like you were trying to bill more or whatever.

Reactions: smr

Packham was luxury compared to this trial - and far more what I am familiar with.

Multiple witnesses were handled in a single day including X. Far less messing around. Even the accused was just a couple of days of examination.

Also the trial cameras were great. Side view to focus on counsel when addressing Court, the Judge, and also the witness.

Decent sound.

Amazing.

Hey!

So many posts - I knew "something" was happening!!! Yes! Closing!!!
animated-smileys-jumping-006.gif

la2cabo said:
I'll be there. I wouldn't miss it for anything. Woo hoo! I can't believe we've actually made it this far.

animated-smileys-jumping-005.gif
Yea!!! We want details!! :D

geevee - don't feel bad - I don't cell-phone either. First cell phone I got is when I moved here in 2016. Otherwise, if I needed to call my husband if I'm at the store - I used a phone booth! LOL!

oceanblueeyes said:
snipped by me...
No one will believe an expert who is so wishy washy all over the place.

Imo if this trial lasted another year DR would still be down in his basement at 3am changing his previous opinion. Lol!

animated-smileys-laughing-010.gif

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
And please let me know IF I have correct notes from yesterday....

Friday, May 24th:
*Trial continues-Dark today (@ 9am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. 7 women & 4 men & 1 ? (alternates include 4 men & 2 women-minus one).
Trial Days (1-50: 1/7/19 thru 5/7/19) reference post #1652 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #18

5/8/19 Day 51: Judge will allow certain portions of CM’s redacted 2014 interrogation tape related to Feb. 4th & 6th. Jurors viewed CM’s truck in the morning. Jurors back at 1:30pm & when they come back judge said portions of the tape with Merritt will be played. Tape played for jurors. Defense witness: Gary Robinson (Defense investigator). Court adjourned until Monday, May 13, when the defense will finish up with Det. Bachman & show video excerpts from Charles Merritt's police interview. Court will then be dark until Tuesday, May 21.
5/13/19 Day 52: Defense witness: Det. Bachman. Next day for court is Tuesday, 5/21 morning session only.
5/21/19 Day 53: Defense witness: Dr. Leonid Rubin (FARO scan). Trial continues on 5/22.
5/22/19 Day 54: Defense witness: Dr. Leonid Rudin. Defense had asked for remedy or sanction for failure to provide what is known as exhibit O. (Exhibit O was the original FARO scan & a Brady violation deals with failure to turn over exculpatory evidence). Defense requested mistrial for a Brady violation. After reviewing facts, Judge ruled motion for mistrial denied! Motion to recuse prosecution denied. State Rebuttal witness: Laura Forest-Knowles (Dan Kavanuagh's ex-gf) (Called out of order). Trial continues on 5/23 from 10am to 3pm.

5/23/19 Update: Defense witness: Det. Bachman. State Semi-Rebuttal witness: Sgt. Smith. Judge: the motion for mistrial is denied, the motion to recuse Mr. Imes or any other prosecutors is denied, the motion to strike Mr Liscio's testimony is denied. “And if I didn't cover any of the other requests, those are denied as well”. Merritt will not testify. Both sides have rested. Closing arguments set for 9am PDT, Tuesday 5/28.
Tentative Schedule for week of May 27th thru May 31st: NO court-Memorial Day Holiday: May 27th (Monday). May 28th (Tuesday)-Closing Arguments, May 29th (Wednesday)-Jury deliberates, May 30th (Thursday)-Jury deliberates or Verdict? Dark on May 31st (Friday).

I'm hoping to take a break.
Anything with children has become too sad and depressing.
Just looking at Niner's lengthy list is depressing.

I may do the same for awhile. Cases involving innocent little children are the most draining emotionally for me.

I have long said when discussing any case involving child victims... its a trail of never ending tears... because we are seeing so many children now brutally being killed. It never ever seems to end.

And to know little Jjr. and little G are among the innocent childen killed by pure evil too only enforces how hard it is to follow these kind of cases for me, and I'm sure it is for everyone.

Imoo

I don't recall how I got hooked on the McStays?
So interesting in the early days when family was posting on CTV.
Lots to follow then.
When I look at the children's photos it is still hard to get my head around it.

Dr. Rudin did this case pro bono... Imes told him to stop working on it on Feb 15th... Rudin tells the judge, just because he says to stop doesn't mean I have to :D LOL That's how the pro bono thing comes up because McGee asks him, it's not like you were trying to bill more or whatever.

Pro bono? Wow.

No testimony from CM then, and we are still not even on closing arguments never mind deliberation.

This has dragged on long enough now if they’d done full days from the start we’d have been finished months ago, we need a judge that takes no **** and a DT that doesn’t want to vacay in the middle of a DP trial. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow