CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chase and Joey had only known each other a couple years, they were friends and business associates. Not blood. Yes they worked closely together and talked on the phone every day. But most people in the same situation as Chase would not be calling LE if they couldn't get in touch with a business associate for a couple days, especially over a weekend, and especially knowing that the family had several projects going on and two active little boys that would likely keep him busy.

Once Chase began to feel that something was wrong, he went to Joey's family instead of calling LE himself. There could be numerous reasons for this. One, he had warrants. Two, we don't know what things Joey may have told Chase, for example Chase maybe had remembered that Joey was worried about CPS and took off for a while, and didn't want to bring LE into the picture right away until hopefully hearing back from Joey. Three, there could have been other reasons why Chase would not want to bring LE into the picture right away that would not be appropriate for me to speculate about here so I'm not going to. And four, the most likely reason, is that he most likely just didn't feel it was his place to contact LE, and felt more comfortable letting Joey's family make that decision.

He went directly to Susan's house to tell her about his concern about the family. He didn't contact LE at that time because Joey's family didn't ask him to. Instead, they asked him to monitor the movement of dog bowls. It is absurd to criticize Chase for not calling LE right away when Joey's own blood didn't call them either! Once Joey's family was notified, the onus was on them as to how to handle the situation. The number of times they talked on the phone during the week is imo completely irrelevant.

It's not absurd to criticize Chase for not trying harder to get in touch with or contact his supposed best friend. I mean, gee, it's almost like he already knew there was no point in doing so as people bludgeoned with sledgehammers generally aren't going to be taking many phone calls, IMO.

I have noticed a few other patterns too, but would like to see more.

Here is another shot of the 3rd. He has 3 calls that go to VM and don't have tower information. I wonder what the explanation for that is?

Oh boy. I can't make that out at all. I would really like to see a much larger portion of his phone logs. I think that would be helpful in determining his veracity.

I disagree.

How Forensic DNA Evidence Can Lead to Wrongful Convictions | JSTOR Daily

*snipped*

These are just from the first 3 links when googling "Transfer DNA wrongful conviction". For anyone that believes it's not real, you really should read the links, or even google it yourself and see just how many links/cases/documents/reports show up. This stuff is pretty scary if you think about it LOL But as the one article stated, with advanced technology and the ability to pick up the DNA, the flip side is they are also able to find transfer DNA.

It is your opinion that this applies to this case? That this applies to the DNA found in the Trooper that JM almost exclusively drove? Why didn't we hear of any other DNA transfer in major, minor or trace amounts? JM was probably shaking hands with many people. He was interacting with his children. He was interacting with is wife.
DNA was taken off the steering wheel with contributors: JM-Major, CM-Minor, SM-Trace. CM said in was in the vehicle 6 weeks prior in the passenger seat to go play paintball.
And a hand shake is going to put his DNA on the steering wheel, gear shift and setting components. NOT buying it.

I truly believe DNA can exonerate the wrongfully arrested and convicted, but not in this case. IMO.

Iirc he stated "I absolutely confirmed that".

In hindsight I have to take some of the things he's said now. He also stated he knew their accounts better than his own. Either he's absolutely horrible with accounting. Although, no one knew about the deleted checks until Hanke got into the QB.

I think that one of the main things DuGal was looking for in the business account, was if Joey's business was a front for something else, like drugs etc, or if there really was a lucrative fountain business. And he determined it was a real business, imo.

Could you not produce an alibi for that night if it was just a week or two after that night, when your best friend disappeared? Or you can't produce an alibi for that night now almost 10 years later?

Can you tell me where in Merritt's interview with Dugal/Fiske that he was asked? I couldn't find it. I would like to know when he (and Jarvis) was first asked and what they said. Det. Bachman testified in PH about what CJ said, but he wouldn't have talked to her until after November 2013, so 4 years later??? I want to see what was said early on, if anything, or if anyone even asked.

It is your opinion that this applies to this case? That this applies to the DNA found in the Trooper that JM almost exclusively drove? Why didn't we hear of any other DNA transfer in major, minor or trace amounts? JM was probably shaking hands with many people. He was interacting with his children. He was interacting with is wife.
DNA was taken off the steering wheel with contributors: JM-Major, CM-Minor, SM-Trace. CM said in was in the vehicle 6 weeks prior in the passenger seat to go play paintball.
And a hand shake is going to put his DNA on the steering wheel, gear shift and setting components. NOT buying it.

I truly believe DNA can exonerate the wrongfully arrested and convicted, but not in this case. IMO.

It was in the Defense Opening Statement, so yes, I believe it will be brought up in this case.

It was in response to your post and I said I disagree and gave supporting links:

Remember the days when DNA was proof of an individual touching something, physically being somewhere, physically interacting with someone or something?
Yeah, good times........be careful who you shake hands with..........said no forensic expert I've ever heard say on the stand.

When his cell phone pings at a site in the desert where the people he is suspected of murdering are buried.
The defense seems to live in an alternate universe. I'm going to love watching them try to explain away the pings and squirm out what is obvious.

They are trying badly to place the abduction/murders on the 5th because it gives Merritt an alibi because his phone pings in RC and LA county. But they'll have an expert on to refute the Victorville pings as some sort of anomalies or not to be accurate.

Assuming the defense, or their expert, is going to suggest that Merritt's phone pinged in VV while he was in RC, then his phone could have pinged in RC while he was in Fallbrook, right?

Hmmm. Interesting. No one has ever suggested this before. What do you think that would mean if true?

I think it gave him more time to plan what he was going to do.

I don’t believe for one second if he is guilty that he didn’t leave home that afternoon knowing he was going to kill them. That was his only option in his mind.

Tortoise said:
It didn't escape me that the prosecutor said in his opening 'if there was a meeting'.

In one of my scenarios I have Joey calling Chase to say he's arrived and needs to go to the bank (as he told Patrick) and suggests meeting at Chase' home. Chase has to be expecting it's going to get difficult and is probably the end of the road now. So Chase does not want to see him, he knows Joey probably now knows he stole at least one blank cheque and has probably seen the activity including the deletion on QB custom account. He doesn't know even if Joey is going to see the cheque he cashed when he goes into Union Bank to make his deposit, he imagines the worst.

Chase calls Cathy frantically and says if Joey shows up tell him you don't know where I am. He then speaks to Joey and says 'I've got a few difficulties whatever I'm stuck out at wherever at the moment, I'll meet you at ChickfilA if I get done here doing whatever. Cathy's home with the kids and she doesn't want us there' (like he got the detectives to meet him away from Cathy).

So Joey does his business at the bank and sits waiting for Chase to show up doing internet business while he's waiting. He calls him at 3 pm to say 'I'm leaving, come by the house later when you're ready, I'll call you when I get home.'

He calls Chase at 5.45 pm to say he's home. Chase turns off his phone before he heads down there, which shows me premeditation. Joey logs onto QB at about 6 pm.

I don't know if Joey would be on the internet constantly during lunch if he's discussing all this stuff about QB with Chase.

MOO

This is great Tortoise! That really could have happened on what the pings show! I like it!

mrjitty said:
When do we get the next witnesses?

As far as I know tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb. 19th at 9:30am PT - except for what missy mentioned! :)

Bernina said:
If you're a fan of Occam's Razor, the weeds have become so high, rabbit holes so deep with the opinions and deflections in response to this case, we need a brush hog to cut down the briars and dynamite to blow up the warrens.

animated-smileys-laughing-002.gif

did not know what a "brush hog" was - so looked it up - thought it was literally a "hog"!

We know she was calling him up to six times that evening, this is not indicative of a 'habit'. He wasn't returning her calls. Where are you seeing she called him several times earlier?

If true, and CM answered all of those times, but didnt when she tried to call him 6 times later on, to no avail, I would find that information very compelling.

It's really ok if you can't support your claims. There isn't definitive information either way. And it will be for the jury to decide-as they are the decider of the facts. I just take issue with your claim that I am not using the evidence available to us to support my claims. That is untrue.

I will say, you have used evidence to support some aspects. There are other parts you cite as verifiable fact simply because a defense attorney said it was so.

I think that one of the main things DuGal was looking for in the business account, was if Joey's business was a front for something else, like drugs etc, or if there really was a lucrative fountain business. And he determined it was a real business, imo.
And the checks cashed were dated the 4th, which lined up with what he told detectives.

It is my opinion he wanted to dig more into it but restrained by his superiors. Considering the guy was an ex-con on parole they could have easily got in further to his records. But it may have did no good anyway, just draw more suspicion. None of it would have pointed to where the bodies were.

So lets leave it here!
I cited evidence. There is a convincing argument based on evidence that Chase's DNA could be in the Trooper by way of transfer DNA. THAT is a theory based every bit as much on the evidence as any other theory about how that DNA got there.

A "backdated" check doesn't prove fraud, it just means that Chase, for whatever reason didn't change the date from the last check Joey wrote, or had some other reason. The Quickbooks check writing isn't really that important because any check Chase wrote would show up on bank records if he actually cashed it.

Well, It seems you are ignoring one major reason that Chase might have backdated those checks.

It has been reported that in initial talks with detectives, Chase told them the reason for the lunch meeting was that Joey had some checks to give him. And those checks were 'dated' the 4th of February. <<THAT is the reason he backdated the checks, imo.

Chase wanted everyone to see the feb 4th date, which was a day that everyone knew Joey was alive and well.

If true, and CM answered all of those times, but didnt when she tried to call him 6 times later on, to no avail, I would find that information very compelling.
Yes I think the first call was just after 6? So average twice an hour with no response until 930. Which is even more compelling because it pretty much tells us he was not with her for at least 3 1/2 hours.

Last edited:
This is great Tortoise! That really could have happened on what the pings show! I like it!

As far as I know tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb. 19th at 9:30am PT - except for what missy mentioned! :)

animated-smileys-laughing-002.gif

did not know what a "brush hog" was - so looked it up - thought it was literally a "hog"!
Well I'm dying to find out if Joey's and Chase's phones were pinging off the same towers during that two hour period.

There's a thought. Maybe she got off work and he wasn't home, so she called him. Did she know he was going to meet Joseph? Did she know he was going to get money?

Maybe she was frantic, that it was already the 4th day of the month and their rent still hadn't been paid. She might've known he was meeting JM and wanted to see if CM had leeched any more money off of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time