CA CA - JOSEPH NASO, once a suspect in NY Alphabet Murders, now on trial in California

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Apparently, found amongst Naso's papers, were some identification for a woman who went by either Renee Shapiro or Sara Dylan. She vanished in San Francisco in May of 1992(although I can't find her on any missing person web site). She happened to be an obsessive Bob Dylan fan that used his ex-wife's name. She followed his tour around the world and apparently Bob Dylan was aware of her as a "crazy" who might cause trouble. There is no indication that she was involved in prostitution and she didn't have a "double initial" name.

There are also indications that some other references found in his papers have been tentatively identified. Every law enforcement agency in any jurisdiction that Naso ever had ties to is going to have to take a look at any unsolved murders of women or missing women cases. You never know what Naso might do. He might go to his grave denying everything or he may come clean and confess everything once he figures out he will never get out of prison. If he is handled properly, a lot of cases stand to be solved.

I really don’t know what to make of the “double initial” aspect of the case. I can’t see an obvious way he could select victims on the bases of name (or why he would do it). Still, any murdered or missing woman with such a name should be looked at carefully.

Kemo--any thoughts about a possible linkage between Naso and Kristen Modaferri?

I am aware of nothing that ties Naso to that case. LE has held back a lot of information.
The Modaferri case is interesting because there is a lot of information out there. The family has pushed hard. Unfortunate, the story is more about false leads and mis-steps and there is really nothing solid that I know of.

An intriguing lead is the fact that Kristen had placed a personal ad seeking a female companion shortly before her disappearance and the last reported sighting was near her place of employment right after she would have gotten off work. A co-worker saw her talking to a blonde woman. Could she have fallen victim to a sexual predator who used female accomplices?

Another possibility is that Kristen had told co-workers that she planned to go to Lands End that day. It is not unheard of for people to be caught by a rogue wave or otherwise get sweep to sea at that spot. It could have been unfortunate accident.

Kristen was in California studying photography and Naso was a professional photographer. Is that a connection?

What I wouldn't give to see that list.

Your wish is my command. ;) After relentless Googling, and checking every mention of this, I was able to put this together. (Some sources use different numbers for the girls.) (Underlined are UNKNOWN assumed victims)

1) Girl Near Healdsburg
2) Girl Near Port Costa: Id'd as C.C.
3) Girl From Lagunitas: Id'd as R.R.
4) Girl From Mt Tam
5) Girl From MRV Cemetery: Id'd asT.T.
6) Girl Near Yuba City: Id'd as P.P
7) Girl from 839 Leavenworth (San Fran)Naso managed the building
8) Girl From Berkeley
9) Sara Dylan ( Renee Shapiro) Naso notes: 5-4-1992 date of concert
10) Margaret Prisco: ALIVE, Neighbor of Naso's @ 18th/Oakwood SFO.

I will concentrate on the Healdsburg Sonoma County connection:

1) There is one unid'd F's in Sonoma County that has been exhumed, and looked at specifically for this case.

There is another gal: Susan Lori Dye: Hitchhiker, Found dead 10-17-75, near Healdsburg, dumped under Hwy 101, and she was strangled.

This from the Sonoma County Sheriff's website: "There were a series of homicides beginning in 1971 and ending in 1977, which involved eleven victims."

However, I find nowhere else where they acknowldge this many victims in the ostensible : Hitchiker Murders. The big issues:

Multiple jurisdictions.

Sonoma county HAS FAILED to list the TWO unidentified F bodies on DOE/NAMUS. Healdsburg L.E. was specifically requested to by a WS volunteer in 2010.

One UN ID'd F was found in 1979, in the same spot as the SR Hitchikers. Little to no info has been released to help ID this girl. I will call L.E. tomorrow.

There are more unsolved murders of women found along Hwy 101 that were raped/strangled/dumped. Some fit the M.O. of Naso, and the S.R. H.H. murders.

If you want to look at other potential victims, there is a cluster of dead unsolved "prostitute" murders from Contra Costa county during the same time period Naso was active. Also, look at the Reno missing/dead RIGHT NEXT door and within a few miles of Naso's house! (I have a background check of prior addresses.)

Also, a series of murders in San Fran from: May 29, 1973- July 15, 1973 has been associated with the SR HH murders. I have found reference to a "Confidential CA DOJ report" that attributes all of these murders to the same Perp, but i can find NO RELIABLE info to back this up. If it was confidential, I don't believe a FOIA request will do it.

My educated hypothesis on the Girl From Berkeley is Lynn Ruth Connes. She disappeared May 20, 1976. (mentioned by me in this thread/earlier post. She was a Model, who had placed an ad for a photographer. She met "Jeff" a photographer, who answered her ad, on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley at Le Bateau Ives restaurant. NASO worked in a photo shp on TELEGRAPH ave in Berkeley, and owned a house a few miles away. I wonder if she is the UNID'd SR HH victim from 7-2-79.

LAR

Very interesting stuff. I also found a reference to the Calif DOJ rept. This internet "blogger-type" report included not only the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker and the 1973 San Francisco cluster, but a number of other murders of young women in the Greater Bay Area and the Northern Central Valley: particularly the Sacramento area. These murders are often referred to as the California Astrology Murders (because they were believed to occur during significant dates in astrology)

Between 12/69 and 2/74 at least 25 women were killed in Northern California fitting the basic pattern of being abducted, murdered by various means, and then dumped. This seems like a lot but I have no idea what the "baseline" numbers would be. If there were significantly less during the period 1975-1980, this would tell us a lot more. There is no question that the phenomenon of the serial kill/sexual predator targeting women was somewhat unique to the 1970's and 80's and has dropped off appreciably. Since 1985 or so, most of these cases have involved prostitutes and they are less common. I would attribute this to better Law Enforcement, forensic advances and fewer juvenile "runaways" and women hitchhiking.

I have no idea if any of these can be linked to Naso. I know he lived in Oakland at one point in the early 1970's but I don't know the dates. He was in San Francisco in the early 1980's. Apparently he was in Yuba City in the 1990's and later moved to Reno.
I am not aware of any cluster of unsolved "prostitute" murders from Contra Costa County. Do you or anyone have any more information?

Kemo--as you said, so little is known about Kristen's case, I hope the ongoing investigation and trial of Naso brings some info. related to Kristen, since her case seems cold and stalled.

After looking at news stories, no solid link between Kristen and Naso emerges, but he was known to travel to Berkley, Oakland and SF. Naso had worked at a camera shop in Berkley--not sure if the time is a match--but he was at very least, familiar with the area. Kristen was to begin a photography class at Berkley within a few days of her disappearance since she was getting ready for class and familiarizing herself with the area. Also, Kristen lived in Oakland as does Naso's ex wife.

It sure would be nice if any progress was made towards finding Kristen.

Hey Kemo,

I believe that i've found where the "confidential DOJ report" idea must've come from. I FOUND SOMETHING REAL, not unsubstantiated words! (i hate when they fail to substantiate serious assertions.)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&dq=computer-cites-killing-similarities&hl=en

4-25-75 "Computer Cites Killing Similarities" L.A.Times

"A computer search of murder records in the State Atty general's office.... established that AT LEAST 14 young California victims... appear to have been slain by the same person...." (1972-1975)

6 SRO Hitch hikers;5 girls in SFO;1 in Marysville;1 in Monterrey;1 in Redding.

The 4 in SFO were referred to as the Astrology BS.

The police reports that I have on the SFO murders, document that 4 girls were found nude, Manually asphyxiated, and missing an earring. (S.F.P.D. Information Bulletin, No 61-73, 8-6-1973)

Marysville: Brenda Merchant: 2-1-74; Monterrey: 9-29-74; Nancy Feusi Redding:

Newton, in his "Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes" refers to this as the "Confidential DOJ report", as do most of the Zodiac Forums.

Additional victims: Same killer (My educated hypothesis) Most of the victims were initially attributed to the Zodiac. Most of the info comes from the Z web pages, and I verified it through Newspaper archives, "Times Standard" Humboldt County, CA., 1976-77.

My research is showing that these have similar M.O.s, victimology, and the time frame is consistent.

Barbara Jean Stroud DOD: 1-1-73. Car was found on Hwy 101, N of Willits. She was nude, strangled, and sexually assualted.

Susan Lori Dye 19 DOD: 10-17-75. Hitchiking on 101. Strangled, bound found off of 101, Dutcher Creek Rd exit/ in Asti, CA

Janet Lee Bowman 19 DOD: 9-30-75-10-6 Last seen in Humboldt Co. Found Hwy 299 N of Blue Lake. Naked, Strangled, raped, beaten. This is a couple of miles from Hwy 101.

Karen Frances Fisher She was found raped and strangled to death Sunday Jan. 18, 1976 near the stone cross at Trinidad Head. Last seen alive at Clam Beach on Jan. 14, 1976 trying to hitch a ride to Trinidad, Humboldt County. Again, a couple of miled from 101.

Victoria Lynn Schneider had been Raped & strangled to death. Missing June 15 when Victoria left her friend's house, telling them she was going to hitchhike to Samoa Beach to sunbathe. Found on the sand dunes in Samoa, Humboldt County, 6-30-76. Again, a couple of miles from 101.

218 Miles from Santa Rosa to Reno. 245 to Yuba City, 344 to Reno.

I will be posting the info on the Santa Rosa HH Jane Doe found 7-79 , on the appropriate thread, asap. (Thanks to Deb Silva of SR HH's web site.)

Waiting to hear from the P.D. on the Healdsburg Jane Doe of 1-24-83. Might have to file a FOIA request if these yahoos fail to release info on the Jane Doe. Really, it's only been 29 years, that she has been missed!!!

I am going to focus on known decedents, at this point.

Caveat: I will tell you when I am posting my opinions. I am a P.I., and a Legal researcher with 30+ years experience. I spend many hours on my research, and try to well document my facts.

LeighAnnR
You have some very good information.

I grew up in the Bay Area and was very much aware of the number of young women in the early 1970's that were murdered or went missing while hitchhiking. The big question, I guess, is whether this was a result of one or more Serial killers who committed many murder or just a series of random opportunistic killings that were made possible by the large numbers of young women who engaged in hitchhiking.

The Santa Rosa Hitchhiker murders, which I believe started with Lisa Smith in March of 1971 and continued through Dec 1973, were probably committed by one person. It is possible that one or more were "not related" but so many in such a small area in such a short time are much more than random events. What the identified women had in common was hitchhiking.

The DOJ report links them to the four murders in San Francisco between May 29th 1973 and July 15th. I can find little information on these cases. Unlike Sonoma County, Hitchhiking was not particularly common in San Francisco. Were these women known to hitchhike? If not, I am skeptical that they are related to the Santa Rosa cases. On the other hand, they may represent a separate cluster.

Brenda Merchant and Nancy Feusi, the other cases in California the DOJ identified as "related" did involve hitchhiking. There were quite a few others in Nor Cal at the time that also involved hitchhiking; the question is whether there were other factors to link them to the Santa Rosa and Santa Rosa cluster.

I think the existence of many young women hitchhiking created an opportunistic situation for men with a predisposition to commit rape and murder. Some of these were "one shot" situations, others led to the classic "serial killings". For cases that involved no forensic evidence, the best chance of solving them is to link them to other solved cases. Any time an old murder is solved; there is the chance that linkage can be found to similar crimes. I think Joseph Naso in one of these situations but I am not so sure that he is the perp behind all that many crimes. I trust the investigators do what they can.

As for the new cases that you introduced. I suspect that Bowman, Fisher, and Schneider are part of a Humboldt County cluster that I was unaware of. I wonder if you have uncovered a Serial killer in that area.

From what I tell, the Barbara Jean Stroud killing has been solved. It involved a number of local men. It did not involve hitchhiking (she was run off the road) and she knew one or more of her killers.

Naso is charged with four murders. All of them were prostitutes I understand. There are some other cases that may be linked to Naso that could open up the possibility of solving many Nor Cal cases.

I agree with you that the suspect in the Karen Mitchell case looks a lot like Naso. Can he be linked to a car like the one described or the Humboldt area in general?

Lynn Ruth Connes was to meet a "photographer" in Berkeley at the same time Naso worked in a Berkeley Photography shop but can a link really be made? We will see.

Kemo--as you said, so little is known about Kristen's case, I hope the ongoing investigation and trial of Naso brings some info. related to Kristen, since her case seems cold and stalled.

After looking at news stories, no solid link between Kristen and Naso emerges, but he was known to travel to Berkley, Oakland and SF. Naso had worked at a camera shop in Berkley--not sure if the time is a match--but he was at very least, familiar with the area. Kristen was to begin a photography class at Berkley within a few days of her disappearance since she was getting ready for class and familiarizing herself with the area. Also, Kristen lived in Oakland as does Naso's ex wife.

It sure would be nice if any progress was made towards finding Kristen.

Kristen went missing in 1997. By that time, from what I can tell, Naso was in Reno. I don't know where Kristen was studying Photography. If Naso worked there, someone in LE should have picked up on it. If not, perhaps they are following this thread. I’d say it is probably a long shot.

I remember this case .There was another girl from same school that went missing I think her name was Kristen Smart I think they even looked at scott peterson for a little bit .He was going to the same school around or at the time these too disappeared. What ever happend with the One POI Paul Flores ..Its scary to take a look back from the 70's untill even now about how many serial killers were at work at the same times over the years and in the san fran and oakland cali all that area there was so many SK at work.

Kristen Smart vanished from Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, 250 miles to the south. It has never been officially solved but Law Enforcement and the Smart family believes the Prime Suspect is responsible.

The Prime Suspect, although never prosecuted for this crime, has been hounded relentlessly by the victim’s family and his life has pretty much been a train wreck since the day Kristen disappeared. He has not been implicated in any other crimes of that nature to my knowledge.

This dude is a real control freak IMO

Accused serial killer Joseph Naso insists on representing himself at trial

Joseph Naso, the Reno man accused of killing four women in Northern California between 1977 and 1994, on Friday adamantly asserted his right to represent himself at his trial.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19938920

snip...Judge Andrew Sweet said he found Naso mentally capable, literate and fully informed, and therefore able to continue acting as his own attorney.

snip...."I don't want this case to drag on for years. I want to get out of here as soon as I can, this year I hope," Naso said.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Judge-Clears-Joseph-Naso-to-Represent-Self-139405263.html

Naso, 78, told Marin County Superior Court Judge Andrew Sweet he did not want the county public defender’s office involved in his case.

“I will say it loud and clear so everyone hears. I don’t want the public defender replacing me,” Naso said.
http://marinscope.com/articles/2012/02/15/news_pointer/news/doc4f3c22cc8cbc9087102315.txt

Investigators said semen on Roggasch's pantyhose matched Naso's DNA profile, and that Roggasch was strangled with panty hose that contained the DNA of Naso's wife. He also had extensive photos of Parsons in his collection, and he admitted in court that he dated Tafoya.

Naso was identified as the suspect after a 2010 probation search at his Reno home revealed a vast collection of photographs of dead or unconscious women in various states of undress, incriminating writings, sadistic magazines, and diaries describing sex crimes, investigators said. Authorities are still investigating whether he can be linked to additional homicides.

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_19971885

Reading up on Naso, I discovered that he has assets of over $1 Million. Initially, he was found to be ineligible for a public Defender because of this money. That was the reason he chose to represent himself; he didn't want to spring for a lawyer.

Now that liens have been placed on his assets, he is eligible. Evidentially he still wants to represent himself but he want access to Resources the PD's office.
Does anyone know where his money came from? From all that I can tell, he has be marginally employed and has gotten by as a "caregiver" for his son and such enterprises as selling at flea markets.

The DNA evidence in two of the murders, along with everything else, seems to have him nailed and his only hope is to get the evidence excluded by challenging the legality of the search. That is something you really need a REAL lawyer to pull off. He has represented himself in shoplifting cases in the past (with limited success) but this is a whole lot different.

Kemo,

Naso most likely will have no legal grounds on which to challenge the legality of the search.
He was on felony prob/parole from a CA. crime, and the suspicionless, warrantless searches are (typically) part & parcel of that probation (I say typically, as I have not read Naso's specific conditions of prob/parole) I do recall reading that the brunt of the evidence was found after Naso had been incarcerated, for a violation, and search warrants were executed for his safe deposit box,
He was in NV where the terms of his prob/par were handled by local L.E., as is typical, between jurisdictions. How very fortunate that we had a very astute L.E.O.!

This will shed light on the warrantless searches.
CA Penal Code Section3067 – Subject to Search
a) Any inmate who is eligible for release on parole pursuant to this chapter shall agree in writing to be subject to search or seizure by a parole officer or other peace officer at any time of the day or night, with or without a search warrant and with or without cause."

And, in 2006, the US Sup Ct proffered a decision on this CA case: Suspicionless searches on a parolee/prob. Samson v. California, 547 U.S. 843 (2006)
In Samson, a local LEO decided to search Samson, despite knowing that he was in good standing with his P. Officer. (as confirmed by a radio call)Of course, LEO found crank and the got 7 years.
The Ct held that suspicionless searches of parolees are lawful under California law.

Posted: 11:39 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2012
KTVU And Wires
SAN RAFAEL —
The Marin County District Attorney's Office announced Wednesday it would seek the death penalty against accused serial killer Joseph Naso.
Deputy District Attorney Dori Ahana made the announcement at Naso's arraignment in Marin County Superior Court.
Naso, 78, of Reno, re-entered not-guilty pleas to charges that he murdered four Northern California women, two from the Bay Area, between 1977 and 1994.
Naso waived his right to have a trial within 60 days. He said he needs four weeks to prepare a motion to dismiss the charges against him.
Judge Andrew Sweet set March 28 for a status report on that motion and to set a trial date.
Ahana told the judge prosecutors expect the trial to last four months. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/prosecutors-seek-death-sentence-accused-serial-kil/nK8Fh/

The photographs showed many women unconscious or appearing dead, including two prostitutes Naso is charged with killing, Pamela Parsons and Tracy Tafoya.

'Who is paying for all of this entertainment?' Naso asked after hours of detailed testimony about the photos.
'This is my private work, my photography. The women have been violated. What happens in a home is sacred and private. The whole thing is disgusting, and I don't see the relevance at all.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-rapes-images-dead-women.html#ixzz1omPpLui3

So he sees it as entertainment?

A 74-year-old woman who says she was raped in California over 50 years ago by the man accused of the serial "Alphabet Murders" could become a key witness in his trial, but said police at the time treated her as if she were to blame.

snip.....The woman, whose name lacks alliteration, said that on the day she was assaulted, at age 24, she had worked in Oakland and was waiting for a bus to return home when a stranger offered her a ride, which she accepted against her better judgment.

snip...Journals found in Naso's home in Reno, Nevada, detail suspected sexual assaults as far back as the 1950s, according to court documents. In one 1958 instance, he wrote that police told him to "get out of town."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-californiabre82m110-20120323,0,7759532.story

Oh and when he used the term "rape" in his journals, he meant that he "scored" he had sex he reportedly said at a hearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back