Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“The call came through. We heard it loud and clear by thousands of requests. We are in communication with the Placer County Sheriff’s Department. They’re very happy and welcoming us in. We’re gonna utilize our unique skill set, as well as the search tactics that we’ve developed that have made us successful,” Doug Bishop said.

“We specialize particularly in sonar, underwater sonar search and recovery, particularly in finding vehicles underwater,” Bishop said.

“The biggest thing in all of this is she was at a party that had 200 to 300 people, someone knows something. And that’s that’s a really accurate assessment to make,” Bishop said.

In the last three years, Adventures with Purpose has found over 500 vehicles nationwide, and they plan to hit the Prosser Creek Reservoir Saturday morning to look for Rodni’s missing car.

eta: Rodni’s extended family reached out to the volunteer scuba diving team for help.

“There are no longer dive teams there present. Those things have been exhausted already. They’re confident in what they’ve been able to rule out. And I am as well,” Bishop said.

Last edited:
Earlier this week, Lt. Joshua Barnhart acknowledged “an isolated incident we were able to get past” in which certain adults were advising teens and young adults not to speak with investigators. It’s not clear if something dramatic changed between that news conference on Tuesday and when Musallam spoke with the Post on Thursday.

Investigators have photos of Rodni at the party, but no one has come forward to say they saw her leave. Musallam told the Post the investigators think that someone has an idea where Rodni may have been heading.

“We ask people who know something, do you want this to weigh on your conscience?” she said. “You will have to live for the rest of your life knowing a family won’t have closure about where their daughter is.”

Detectives are still actively searching — soon to be joined by a rogue search and rescue group Adventures with Purpose.

"We do have a rep from the sheriff's office who will be working with them ... They will not join forces with law enforcement in the search for Kiely," said Musallam.

Here is a question. Are LEOs bound by privacy laws? These kids are going to schools, do they want it to be known that they participated in a party, after which a minor disappeared? Everywhere, in dorms, in schools?

Here is a question. Are LEOs bound by privacy laws? These kids are going to schools, do they want it to be known that they participated in a party, after which a minor disappeared? Everywhere, in dorms, in schools?
Under the Privacy Act’s disclosure provision, agencies generally are prohibited from disclosing records by any means of communication – written, oral, electronic, or mechanical – without the written consent of the individual, subject to twelve exceptions.

I should think the kids themselves would see it as added kudos and extra street cred at their schools and colleges.
They'd love all the talk of it and the fact they were there.
After all, modern social media (TikTok, Instagram etc.) is all about making the app user the sole focus of attention. It's a total "me, me, me me, experience.

MOO.

Good point.

I keep going back to two things though:

How social/extroverted/well-liked Kiely is.

My personal experiences around teenage girls saying good bye. As a former teenage girl years ago, and a parent of teens. I have boys, but girls are around (haha) and even leaving activities where they would see one another in a few hours? You would think some of these girls were going to be separated for *years*, with all the hugging, waving, shouting as they left lol. (They would even shout things to ME..haha "Byyeeeeee Mrs Beeeeekarina! Bye So and Sooooossssss Mooooooooom! Loooooooove Youuuuuuuuu!"

This is why I have trouble reconciling Kiely just driving off alone, unnoticed. Even if her closest friends had all left, had EVERYONE she knew left her by 12:30-ish?

If so, what else was really up?

I'm a social "butterfly" too and would never leave in silence. Lots of hugging and goodbyes...see yous..etc. Especially if this was a saying goodbye party. BUT there have been times I really had enough or better said to much and I just left in silence. Would people wonder where I was/went...of course...in the beginning, but not after this happened a couple of times..."Oh, she did it again...that's BOH. She will be fine". Talking about the so called "party-friends, my real friends would be really mad and worried. In Kiely's case they were not around anymore. In retrospect....not a nice thing to do. Both; getting that drunk and leave just like that. I guess I've been lucky nothing really, really bad happened. Poor Kiely, I so wish she is found.

ETA

Last edited:
I'm a social "butterfly" too and would never leave in silence. Lots of hugging and goodbyes...see yous..etc. Especially if this was a saying goodbye party. BUT there have been times I really had enough or better said to much and I just left in silence. Would people wonder where I was/went...of course...in the beginning, but not after this happened a couple of times..."Oh, she did it again...that's BOH. She will be fine". Talking about the so called "party-friends, my real friends would be really mad and worried. In Kiely's case they were not around anymore. In retrospect....not a nice thing to do. Both; getting that drunk and leave just like that. I guess I've been lucky nothing really, really bad happened. Poor Kiely, I so wish she is found.

ETA
it was stated that Kiely was extroverted in nature, maybe she leaving in a few days or something else made her leave silently.
But still, even if there were 200-300 people at a party there must be at least 10 individuals who remember her distinctively but they're not coming forward.
either the party turned dirty and so everyone is asked to not talk by maybe a gang or a person or something like that. Keeping mouths shut for that long just doesn't seem possible.

Another thought:

If we return to the MSN video where SS points out where Kiely was parked in relation to the party site and the road out, it looks as though Kiely would have had to drive almost through the spot where people were congregating to leave.

Do we know 100% the party ended at 12:30, or only the one campers on record saying they saw a bunch of lights? Could they be wrong about the number of vehicles leaving at that time? I'm asking because we're basing our estimate of the party itself ending at 12;30 ish pretty much exclusively based on this account, and it could be incorrect.

Has LE provided a time when the party ended?

Older people, random people showing up at the party could also work like this:

We know Kiely, for example, had a job where she worked with the public. No idea how busy the tea shop was where she worked, but I know boba tea is popular. We know she is outgoing and "talks to anyone, everyone". She could mentioned the party to customers, even when she wasn't sure if she was going to the car show or the party.

Any of the young people could have done something similar--at work, when heading out to the party.

Think of it this way. You're a teenager, you're at work, maybe a bit bored, slightly older guys come in, they're kinda cute they ask "So what do you do for fun around here?" You roll your eyes and say "It's so boring....BUT....there is a big party out at the campground tonight...."

Alright, here’s a theory that I haven’t heard much debate about. I’ll attempt to cite the evidence that might support this theory. Needless to say, it’s speculation

Does anyone find it strange that of the “300” people at this party, SS is the only person to conclusively come forward to say she was there with KR? SS talks about drinking and charging phones with KR and others at the party, have those people come forward?

We’ve heard the police aren’t getting leads, and they’re asking for kids to come forward with photos and videos of the party. They’ve assumed parents are telling kids not to come forward because of possible consequences. What if there’s a lack of leads because no one remembers seeing KR at the party? If I were at this party and I didn’t see KR, but I was told she was there, I wouldn’t have any information to provide LE.

I went to a lot of parties when I was her age. If there’s 300 people at a party, there’s no chance they all know each other. There must be kids from different schools, relatives of kids, friends of friends, etc. With such a diverse, large group, it seems unlikely there’s a organized effort to hold back information on purpose. Someone would come forward with info.

The cell phone data. We know a text was sent from KR’s phone to her mom about extending curfew. We know the same phone pinged off a tower at 12:33 near the party site. SS said she got a call from KR shorty after that. Can anyone other than SS confirm this call took place?

At this point I think we know KR didn’t crash her car IF she was driving the two most direct routes home from the party site. I’ve personally checked almost all of it, and LE has checked it too. As I mentioned earlier, the woods aren’t thick here, most of the route only requires looking from the road to conclusively see there isn’t a vehicle.

I’ve been to the party site, I don’t believe her car went in the lake. There would be signs, and the water was searched near the site. The water level is low in the lake, because of this, there’s s steep bank from the party site to the water. There’s tires tracks all over the dirt banks from ATVs, trucks, bicycles, etc. There would be tire tracks if a car went into the lake.

What am I getting at? What if KR was never at the party? There’s one group photo from the party, and it’s inconclusive if she’s actually in it. <modsnip>

We keep listing the “facts” of the case. The fact that she was at the party is always listed. It seems as though only 1 person can corroborate some of these facts. How credible is this one person? I’d like to know where SS’s cell phone pings are prior to attending the party. Maybe that’s where KR is.

Just a theory, debate time.
LE has confirmed she was at the party. Early posters were pushing this theory and is why the mods kept shutting down the board to clean it up and warn posters to stop saying bad things about SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was stated that Kiely was extroverted in nature, maybe she leaving in a few days or something else made her leave silently.
But still, even if there were 200-300 people at a party there must be at least 10 individuals who remember her distinctively but they're not coming forward.
either the party turned dirty and so everyone is asked to not talk by maybe a gang or a person or something like that. Keeping mouths shut for that long just doesn't seem possible.

Maybe they’ve talked to LE—and just haven’t spoken to the news media. That’d be the smart and responsible thing to do, in my opinion.

MOO

I don't understand that either. I would think there were, besides her friends, she was close with, at least some locals who knew her/she knew maybe from hobby clubs (music, hiking f.i.), from her job (what was it again?) and most of all people she went to school with, being a saying goodbye party for majors moving on/away...... What I understand she was not a girl "living under a stone" and very vivid. LE must have spoken to people she attended school with and were on the party, they saw her but nobody saw her leave?

eta: Rodni’s extended family reached out to the volunteer scuba diving team for help.

“There are no longer dive teams there present. Those things have been exhausted already. They’re confident in what they’ve been able to rule out. And I am as well,” Bishop said.
^RSBM - I’m a bit confused by the statement that dive teams have been exhausted and they’re confident in what they have ruled out, vs. AWP is there now and searching again. Patiently waiting….

Doug Bishop said that he and his team is ready to join the search for Kiely Rodni, 16.

“What we bring to the table is a fresh set of eyes and unorthodox level of search tactics that have allowed us to become successful,” he said.

“Unfortunately, almost everyone that we find is in areas we have already searched. And again, that goes back to the rare skill set that we have,” Bishop said.

Alright, here’s a theory that I haven’t heard much debate about. I’ll attempt to cite the evidence that might support this theory. Needless to say, it’s speculation

Does anyone find it strange that of the “300” people at this party, SS is the only person to conclusively come forward to say she was there with KR? SS talks about drinking and charging phones with KR and others at the party, have those people come forward?

We’ve heard the police aren’t getting leads, and they’re asking for kids to come forward with photos and videos of the party. They’ve assumed parents are telling kids not to come forward because of possible consequences. What if there’s a lack of leads because no one remembers seeing KR at the party? If I were at this party and I didn’t see KR, but I was told she was there, I wouldn’t have any information to provide LE.

I went to a lot of parties when I was her age. If there’s 300 people at a party, there’s no chance they all know each other. There must be kids from different schools, relatives of kids, friends of friends, etc. With such a diverse, large group, it seems unlikely there’s a organized effort to hold back information on purpose. Someone would come forward with info.

The cell phone data. We know a text was sent from KR’s phone to her mom about extending curfew. We know the same phone pinged off a tower at 12:33 near the party site. SS said she got a call from KR shorty after that. Can anyone other than SS confirm this call took place?

At this point I think we know KR didn’t crash her car IF she was driving the two most direct routes home from the party site. I’ve personally checked almost all of it, and LE has checked it too. As I mentioned earlier, the woods aren’t thick here, most of the route only requires looking from the road to conclusively see there isn’t a vehicle.

I’ve been to the party site, I don’t believe her car went in the lake. There would be signs, and the water was searched near the site. The water level is low in the lake, because of this, there’s s steep bank from the party site to the water. There’s tires tracks all over the dirt banks from ATVs, trucks, bicycles, etc. There would be tire tracks if a car went into the lake.

What am I getting at? What if KR was never at the party? There’s one group photo from the party, and it’s inconclusive if she’s actually in it. <modsnip>

We keep listing the “facts” of the case. The fact that she was at the party is always listed. It seems as though only 1 person can corroborate some of these facts. How credible is this one person? I’d like to know where SS’s cell phone pings are prior to attending the party. Maybe that’s where KR is.

Just a theory, debate time.
Well argued, @TruckeeLocal.

But as others have said, LE has confirmed KR was a the party. IIRC, that was confirmed from video LE has of KR in that pink and white sweatshirt. But LE only showed the public a stock image of the sweatshirt. So understandably some may continue to question if KR was actually there.

I am personally ignoring all statements from party attendees for now to avoid getting confused and to avoid taking those statements as verified truth.

So IMO, we don't yet know with certainty:

1. When KR arrived at the party

2. Whether KR stayed or came and went

3. When KR left the party location or how she left the party location

4. When the party ended and how people drove out - in groups, solo?

5. Who she socialized with at the party and who were old or new friends

6. Who she called or texted that night

7. What KR did and consume at the party

8. What KR's physical or mental health status was at the party

Etc....

I think its always a good thing to question data and good sleuthers turn every detail updide down and sideways. But we should all try to stay true to mission here on WS - sensitive fact based sleuthing.

All that said, this morning I woke up wondering if KR voluntarily disappeared.

Hope we know more facts soon!

ETA: #4, #6

Last edited by a moderator:
Her college plans are a bit vague as to exact start date. Not unusual given her age, IMO, and the circumstances.

"Kiely skipped a year of high school and graduated in June from the Truckee public school Forest Charter. She planned to attend Sierra College this fall, her family said."

FWIW, Sierra College start date is August 24th.

ETA
I think in this situation, she didn't know all that many people at the party, and those she knew had left 45 minutes prior. There was no one she knew to say goodbye to, I don't think.

Apparently, she was saying goodbye by phone.

So she would have already enrolled and had a class schedule at the time of the party most likely?
It appears all she would have had to do is apply by July 1, and all applicants are accepted, even without a GED or High School Diploma. It's a Community College. Then she has until Sept. 5 which is the last date to add classes.

So at the time of the party, she wouldn't have had to have a schedule yet established to attend Sierra this fall.

A lot of students apply to local Community Colleges as a possible attendance and don't follow up, or attend a 4 year college instead. Graduating seniors are STRONGLY encouraged to apply to the local Community College here, as a fall back plan in case their wish list of colleges doesn't pan out.

I think in this situation, she didn't know all that many people at the party, and those she knew had left 45 minutes prior. There was no one she knew to say goodbye to, I don't think.

Apparently, she was saying goodbye by phone.
I don't know who was (still) there and who wasn't and had left before she went missing. My post was just one explanation why people didn't see her leave and why you sometimes don't say goodbye. But maybe you are right. Your post brings up another question...if everybody she knew was gone why did she stay, if she did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka