Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears all she would have had to do is apply by July 1, and all applicants are accepted, even without a GED or High School Diploma. It's a Community College. Then she has until Sept. 5 which is the last date to add classes.

So at the time of the party, she wouldn't have had to have a schedule yet established to attend Sierra this fall.

A lot of students apply to local Community Colleges as a possible attendance and don't follow up, or attend a 4 year college instead. Graduating seniors are STRONGLY encouraged to apply to the local Community College here, as a fall back plan in case their wish list of colleges doesn't pan out.

This is good information.

Community colleges are free in California for residents too, correct? So there also would not be financial commitments at this stage?

One observation about community colleges, and this may not hold true for Sierra:

While the last day to add classes may not be until September, IME a lot of core and other desired classes do fill up quickly. This might not be relevant if she planned to enroll online or some other hybrid option. We really do not know. It does sound as though her situation and plans may have been a bit flexible still as opposed to a college freshman who had firm plans to move across the country into a dorm on a certain date.

One other thing I have been curious about. I wonder why Jagger and Kate (and the unnamed 3rd friend) went to Reno to look for Kiely? Maybe they just felt sad and wanted to go someplace together that reminded them of Kiely and happy times, but I also wonder if they really thought they might find her, her car or some other clue there?

<modsnip> In sharing this, I want to think about Reno specifically and what their going to Reno could mean. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears all she would have had to do is apply by July 1, and all applicants are accepted, even without a GED or High School Diploma. It's a Community College. Then she has until Sept. 5 which is the last date to add classes.

So at the time of the party, she wouldn't have had to have a schedule yet established to attend Sierra this fall.

A lot of students apply to local Community Colleges as a possible attendance and don't follow up, or attend a 4 year college instead. Graduating seniors are STRONGLY encouraged to apply to the local Community College here, as a fall back plan in case their wish list of colleges doesn't pan out.

Didn't her father say she would attend UC- Santa Cruz, in the article linked above where he also describes her as the community's child?

(Friend of mine is a UC - Santa Cruz grad.)

jmho ymmv lrr

The fact that LE has reported lack of cooperation from party attendees and the new reports about receiving duplicate tips thus clogging up the processing of tips has made me wonder. Is someone doing this purposefully to sabotage the investigation? I hope it’s not true, and maybe sounds far fetched. But I wonder….
My thoughts on the “duplicate” tips -
I think LE may mean for a tipster not to repeat a tip more than once. I remember this from another case (Delphi, I believe) where police were receiving so many tips that they were having trouble gettIng back to tipsters promptly so the tipsters were submitting the same tip repeatedly, thinking that the tip may have been overlooked by LE.

Colleges in Reno:

University of Nevada

Truckee Meadows Community College

Carrington College

Any others? Any obvious places aside from checking out the view of Reno shown in the linked Fox video above teens might be associated with? (Edited: there is a longer version where the young people take a Fox News reporter around and up into the hills. I will find it and post here.)

I've been to Reno, but years ago and well into adulthood.

Colleges in Reno:

University of Nevada

Truckee Meadows Community College

Carrington College

Any others? Any obvious places aside from checking out the view of Reno shown in the linked Fox video above teens might be associated with? (Edited: there is a longer version where the young people take a Fox News reporter around and up into the hills. I will find it and post here.)

I've been to Reno, but years ago and well into adulthood.
I get it @Beekarina - Reno has been on my mind for several days now. An 'after party' could have been in Reno... or if KR was abducted and taken there... or if KR decided on her own to go to Reno...

That was why last night in a post I was asking if anyone knew more about the backwoods way from Truckee to Reno. If some went to Reno would they avoid I-80 and possible LE traps and cameras?

Those supposed back roads likely offer a plethora of places to crash or hide a car.

Any Truckee locals here know about that backwoods way to Reno?... curious!

I get it @Beekarina - Reno has been on my mind for several days now. An 'after party' could have been in Reno... or if KR was abducted and taken there... or if KR decided on her own to go to Reno...

That was why last night in a post I was asking if anyone knew more about the backwoods way from Truckee to Reno. If some went to Reno would they avoid I-80 and possible LE traps and cameras?

Those supposed back roads likely offer a plethora of places to crash or hide a car.

Any Truckee locals here know about that backwoods way to Reno?... curious!

Maybe she got her tattoos in Reno?

One of my nieces who is into tattoos and piercings(from a young age also) was pretty adamant that they not be done in the small town where she grew up. So, perhaps Kiely has some connections to Reno in that regard and not just as a place where she would go on roadtrips with friends to take in the view?

One other thing I have been curious about. I wonder why Jagger and Kate (and the unnamed 3rd friend) went to Reno to look for Kiely? Maybe they just felt sad and wanted to go someplace together that reminded them of Kiely and happy times, but I also wonder if they really thought they might find her, her car or some other clue there?

<modsnip> In sharing this, I want to think about Reno specifically and what their going to Reno could mean. Thanks!
Great question. Were they just sharing positive vibes, or do they think she really may have went off to Reno “up in the hills”?

Kiely - If there’s any chance you are out there and safe, and reading along and just need space - just send word to your parents and ease their minds. You are loved.

Attachments

• 86AEF44E-DBCD-4E80-9AE7-3BD5293B0486.jpeg
    86AEF44E-DBCD-4E80-9AE7-3BD5293B0486.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 22
Her college plans are a bit vague as to exact start date. Not unusual given her age, IMO, and the circumstances.

"Kiely skipped a year of high school and graduated in June from the Truckee public school Forest Charter. She planned to attend Sierra College this fall, her family said."

FWIW, Sierra College start date is August 24th.
Again, her mum also said in an interview that she hadn't decided yet.

There is also the fact that Kiely was in Reno with Kate the day prior to the party.

"Friend Kate Cuno told KTXL that she had gone to Reno with Kiely and some other friends to have some fun one day before the doomed party."

Reno is only a 33 minute drive from Truckee. Growing up in a small town, it's really normal to drive to the nearest "bigger town" or city within an hour's drive. She was probably in Reno all the time to shop, get tattoos (like you mentioned), and get away from Truckee. The fact that she was there the day before could be significant, but it also signals that it was a frequent destination for her and her friends. Just as I've speculated she may have encountered someone new or a stranger in the hours before the party, it's also likely she had a friend from Reno she saw the day prior who was invited to the party, met someone in Reno, etc.

As others have mentioned, it's also a relatively short drive to Reno if someone wanted to ditch a car in plain sight or at an airport parking lot. I do hope that people are on the lookout for her car in Reno, where it would be much less likely to stand out. JMO

Revisiting SS's and KR's visit to KR's car. As myself and others have pointed out, there is sensitivity surrounding this episode. So i went back to read it again and noticed this.

<modsnip>

Copied, pasted and snipped,

"so then kiely & i were going around taking shots. and just drinking. wwe were trading drinks with each other. we were sharing drinks with each other.
we would go back to her car to get some alcohol sometimes & then we went to her car to charge her phone.
and we were talking about just random stuff. it’s kind of hard to remember.
we were talking about her texting her mom and her charging her phone and just about the party in general and then we had a few other friends in the car and then we all decided to go back to the party.
and then we were around there for a bit. i had asked her for a ride home when we were in the car because my ride was leaving. and i wanted to stay at the party longer.

and so then we ended up splitting up in the party because i wanted to go find another ride when we got back into the party after leaving the car.
so that we could, um — sorry my mind is…

<modsnip>

Moo

Another thought:

If we return to the MSN video where SS points out where Kiely was parked in relation to the party site and the road out, it looks as though Kiely would have had to drive almost through the spot where people were congregating to leave.

Do we know 100% the party ended at 12:30, or only the one campers on record saying they saw a bunch of lights? Could they be wrong about the number of vehicles leaving at that time? I'm asking because we're basing our estimate of the party itself ending at 12;30 ish pretty much exclusively based on this account, and it could be incorrect.

Has LE provided a time when the party ended?
I have seen absolutely no evidence that the party ended at 12:30.

In fact, I would be suspicious that such a party would abruptly end so early, especially if 20-somethings were there.

It has been reported that SS left shortly before then, that KR's phone last pinged around 12:30, and a camper noticed a lot of car activity around that time. I would imagine that hard-core partiers would stay much later.

SS has suggested that the nature of the party changed as the night progressed, and to me it would seem likely the younger crowd might choose to go home or to an after-party somewhere else around this time.

I have seen absolutely no evidence that the party ended at 12:30.

In fact, I would be suspicious that such a party would abruptly end so early, especially if 20-somethings were there.

It has been reported that SS left shortly before then, that KR's phone last pinged around 12:30, and a camper noticed a lot of car activity around that time. I would imagine that hard-core partiers would stay much later.

SS has suggested that the nature of the party changed as the night progressed, and to me it would seem likely the younger crowd might choose to go home or to an after-party somewhere else around this time.
Contra to the after party theory, this makes me wonder if KR stayed at the party site and continued to mingle with older guests or out of town guests who might have been more likely to stay, rather than branch off (either because they were camping out or because they didn't know enough locals to attend an after party). This is technically corroborated by the final phone location ping.

If she was with fewer known people around 12:30, it would have been a lot easier for someone to do something without others processing / observing / understanding what might have been going on. This could also explain why no one has come forward to say they saw KR leave the party. As LE has said, "people aren't talking," but it's possible that the circumstances around 12:30 enabled her to make a quick getaway with someone else. It sounds like there was some commotion around this time, it would have been easy to fall under the radar.

The details around this case are so unusual to me.

If I recall correctly from a few years back when one of the Carbuff offspring lived in Rocklin, Sierra has a number of tracks that are basically "get your first two years of required courses out of the way here and then hit the ground running at your 4-or-more-year program." I'm pretty sure they have both a biological sciences track and a quite good music program. We heard musicians in the program perform around the area a time or two.

It struck me as an excellent choice for someone who's still wavering.

p.s. youngest Carbuff made sure to find a school that had a good music program accessible to nonmajors so they could play in a band, etc. while seriously studying materials science. It's a pretty common interest for STEM people.

Suppose, for civil discourse sake ~ Kiely left voluntarily, for reasons known only to her, but never ever thought her disappearance would blow up like this with her name, face and car now blasted all over the country. Now what does she do? How does she save face with her friends and peers? How does she make this up to her mama and beg for forgiveness? Don’t ya think a child, only 16, deserves compassion and understanding?

Reno is only a 33 minute drive from Truckee. Growing up in a small town, it's really normal to drive to the nearest "bigger town" or city within an hour's drive. She was probably in Reno all the time to shop, get tattoos (like you mentioned), and get away from Truckee. The fact that she was there the day before could be significant, but it also signals that it was a frequent destination for her and her friends. Just as I've speculated she may have encountered someone new or a stranger in the hours before the party, it's also likely she had a friend from Reno she saw the day prior who was invited to the party, met someone in Reno, etc.

As others have mentioned, it's also a relatively short drive to Reno if someone wanted to ditch a car in plain sight or at an airport parking lot. I do hope that people are on the lookout for her car in Reno, where it would be much less likely to stand out. JMO

I wonder how much of the search has focused in Reno?

I agree with you about the "getting out of dodge" aspect.

Where it is only about a half an hour's drive, a trip to Reno could have happened at any time, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka