Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this! I was just about to ask if there's any video of driving around at night time around Prosser.

ETA: I'd imagine Kiely's visibility wasn't as good as it is in the video because her headlights were almost 10 years old. I believe at that age they probably had oxidation on them. IMO

We have no idea how old her headlights were, or the condition or brightness of the bulbs. Bulbs are a very easy upgrade, as well as older headlight fixtures are easy to polish/remove oxidation.

Just noting, not trying to be difficult.

I hesitate to even admit this, but once, when I was about 18, which was legal drinking age in my state at the time, my friends and I were at a party, and I attempted to jump into a swimming pool that had no water in it. Perceptions of what is "obvious" can differ greatly, depending on level of impairment or sobriety. JMO
Sure it can happen. OTOH you didn't navigate an extremely difficult stretch of super rough ATV trails without wrecking before you did that. Maybe everything else you did up to that point was at a high level of skill or maybe Occam's razor doesn't actually point to Kiely driving herself into the water. I totally respect that there is a range of opinions here.

Why would they say that if they have an active investigation? They haven't ruled out foul play. They haven't released a cause of death. Why would they want to jeopardize an investigation by revealing anything more than they feel obligated to reveal - or prematurely when they don't know yet?
Yes, they’ve said it’s an open investigation. It could take 6-8 weeks to get the toxicology results. In California a minor’s autopsy report is sealed if the parents so wish, and from the sound of it, they wish it to remain sealed.

So, either:

A. They see no signs of foul play, are awaiting the toxicology reports as a perfunctory measure to close out the case; the minor victim’s autopsy report will remain sealed, and the public will hear nothing further, except perhaps a brief, “Kiely Rodni death ruled accidental drowning, case closed, police say”
*Likely scenario

OR:

B. There are signs of foul play; they are investigating persons of interest.
The public will hear nothing further unless/until there is an arrest (ie, Two locals arrested in death of teen” , etc., etc.)
*Not as likely, but possible— “never say never”, etc.

We have no idea how old her headlights were, or the condition or brightness of the bulbs. Bulbs are a very easy upgrade, as well as older headlight fixtures are easy to polish/remove oxidation.

Just noting, not trying to be difficult.
We know if the theory is accurate that she managed to navigate an extremely difficult and extended stretch of ATV trails before hitting the beach. The headlights couldn't have been that bad.

Thank you for this! I was just about to ask if there's any video of driving around at night time around Prosser.

ETA: I'd imagine Kiely's visibility wasn't as good as it is in the video because her headlights were almost 10 years old. I believe at that age they probably had oxidation on them. IMO
An excellent video, I agree. Thanks to all who let us see it here.

A few additional factors to add to the video's images:

1) The moon on 8/5 was a quarter moon, but at 8/6, 12:21am the moon set. So it was completely pitch black out.
2) The water was 3.5-4 feet higher on 8/6 than 8/21 (AWP recovery) - so the water was 20-25 feet further up shore.
3) KR's car (2013 Honda CRV) is notorious for its low visibility low beam headlamps - unless she had aftermarket lights.

So adding all those factors to the video makes it that much more treacherous for that car to go down there that night.

I am just so sad after watching that video. It helps but it hurts. Accident or foul play - a young girl died there.

ETA: All three points have been made up thread with documentation by me. Happy to track it all down if you need.

Last edited:
In the spirit of an open mind... here is another hypothetical scenario that fits the few facts and tidbits we have. IMO!

What if KR knew she couldn't drive home in the condition she was in. People say she was a very responsible kid. Maybe afterall she decided to stay the night at the campground in her car. So KR lay down on the back seat of her car and passed out, after turning off her phone at 12:33am so she is not disturbed.

At some point later in the night along come two guys (or gals). They are very intoxicated and looking for a car to joyride in for entertainment. They look among the parked cars remaining at the party to see if someone left a car with keys in it.

Voila, they find one. Its dark so they don't see KR sleeping / passed out / unconscious in the back seat, maybe under a blanket. Off they go, driving around the dirt roads near the party and down onto the beach. They get too reckless and end up in the water. They manage to get out but KR does not. She may not even wake up. She could have been injured (neck?, head?) during the wild ride. And sadly she perishes. In the dark, the kids don't even notice. All they think they've done is dump a car into the Prosser Lake after some fun. Until they find out KR is missing... and her car.

That long, pregnant pause by the Nevada Captain at the 8/22 presser, when asked if there was more than one body in the car, could be because he knew there was a second person in the car when it went into the lake. Maybe he knew that because both front air bags were deployed. Only LE ( and AWP) would of course know that.

This is hypothetical, conjecture, speculation and all that. But what if the incident that killed KR was an accident, but just with a very complex set of facts.
My number two likely scenario is something similar to this except instead of a joy ride it centers around a practical joke. Finding her passed out and sleeping in the back of the car, some kids pushed the car into the lake thinking that it would float and she would wake later finding herself floating in the middle of the lake. Instead the car sinks with her in it. Who hasn't seen something similar to this on the Internet in made up videos where someone is the victim of a practical joke. I am thinking fodder for TikTok, etc.

I say this because decades ago a kid I knew growing up died, being hit by a train, as a result of a joke played on him by friends who were all intoxicated. Intoxicated minds often have a distorted view of what is funny.

We know if the theory is accurate that she managed to navigate an extremely difficult and extended stretch of ATV trails before hitting the beach. The headlights couldn't have been that bad.

That's a good point. It looks like the ride in would have been pretty dark as well, when she arrived with Mags around 10pm.
It's really an unknown though. @RedHaus remarked the original lights on a CRV are lousy, so I will accept that. My Fit's original lights were not the best, so I added better bulbs and always kept things super clean. The Pilot and the Element I owned were both acceptable.

True, good point. It was just a thought that crossed my mind when I saw how bright the Jeep's headlights were. That there's a possibility that Kiely didn't have that same kind of visibility.

IMO

If it wasn't for the fact that she passed away, I'd be furious that she thought she could drive home inebriated, putting other people on the road at risk.
Right, people forget that that scenario was another possible bad outcome. I’ve read articles about young people driving under the influence, who smash into a car and kill a family, and are convicted of vehicular homicide and receive decades in prison. It happens, and was a possibility with KR and many of the party attendees that night.

My number two likely scenario is something similar to this except instead of a joy ride it centers around a practical joke. Finding her passed out and sleeping in the back of the car, some kids pushed the car into the lake thinking that it would float and she would wake later finding herself floating in the middle of the lake. Instead the car sinks with her in it. Who hasn't seen something similar to this on the Internet in made up videos where someone is the victim of a practical joke. I am thinking fodder for TikTok, etc.

I say this because decades ago a kid I knew growing up died, being hit by a train, as a result of a joke played on him by friends who were all intoxicated. Intoxicated minds often have a distorted view of what is funny.
I don't find that scenario likely at all. These are outdoor mountain kids. I hardly think they are going to push a car with a person in it into a lake just for funsies. IMO

Thank you! The video was found by member @WillenFan21.
Wow. What an amazing video as far as answering all those nagging questions. But more importantly, what a sensitive, intelligent young woman filming it. Did anyone not tear up at her simple words before the moment of silence?

Sure it can happen. OTOH you didn't navigate an extremely difficult stretch of super rough ATV trails without wrecking before you did that. Maybe everything else you did up to that point was at a high level of skill or maybe Occam's razor doesn't actually point to Kiely driving herself into the water. I totally respect that there is a range of opinions here.
Respectfully, we don't know that she did navigate that stretch without having any troubles. It is very possible that she hit a tree and that is what knocked her mirror off and damaged her driver's side. I am not suggesting that is what happened, but that is far more likely than some of the scenarios being suggested by some.

To assume that Ockham's razor would suggest that the simpler and more likely answer to this case is that someone got into Kiely's car, wrestled control away from her, drove it into the water, or pushed it into water, with her inside, to destroy evidence of some unknown crime, while getting safely out and away, is more likely than that the car owner and driver, an inexperienced driver, at a party at outdoors at night, in woods, with many other minors drinking alcohol, possibly impaired, herself, accidentally missed or made a wrong turn while leaving and drove into the water, respectfully, I have a different understanding of Ockham's razor. JMO

Last edited:
That's a good point. It looks like the ride in would have been pretty dark as well, when she arrived with Mags around 10pm.
It's really an unknown though. [B]@RedHaus remarked the original lights on a CRV are lousy, so I will accept tha[/B]t. My Fit's original lights were not the best, so I added better bulbs and always kept things super clean. The Pilot and the Element I owned were both acceptable.
RBBM
Hi @Beekarina. Here is my post re: poor low beam headlamps in a 2013 Honda CRV (KR's model car).

I am very curious as to what happens now- if it is a tragic accident (which I believe it was) and the cause of death was related to the accident/water and IF the toxicology reports show alcohol etc, then does the sheriff investigate where the alcohol came from to press charges? Or at least use the publicity from the traction of the search effort to warn teens (and adults) about the consequences of drinking and driving? It’s hard; on one hand you have the family and Kielys privacy and on the other a chance to use it for good. All IMO, but it’ll be interesting to watch what happens in this regard
Assuming her death was accidental -- which I, too, believe it was, where would LE start WRT alcohol at the party? If the people at the party were close-mouthed WRT the drowning accident (those who might know something about it, of course), how would LE get someone to inform them or someone admit that they know who provided the alcohol? That could be a very tuff one to solve, IMO.

Moon had set, temperature had fallen.

At 12:33 am, what was the ambient air temperature at the beach?

And the temperature of the water?

Is it possible Kiely thought she was driving into rolling fog and not a reservoir?

JMO

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is a crime sleuthing forum. Foul play has not been ruled out by LE, so until such time as it is, stop the putdowns of others who are speculating in that regard.

And don't be telling others how to think, how to post, what to do, or ridicule them for their speculative opinion / theories. Members are not Moderators or Administrators of this site. If there is something that is unacceptable or not allowed, WS staff will determine that through a combination of our established TOS and through review in accordance with TOS, mixed in with a lot of discretion and judgment required of WS staff. If you aren't trained as a Moderator or Admin at Websleuths, you are a regular member and do not have the right to be modding here.

Also a reminder that Websleuths is as fact based as possible based on what is available to us via MSM, LE, and other approved sources. Random social media is not an approved source for discussion and is not to be mentioned. If you can't link it according to Websleuths TOS, you can't discuss it here. It is considered rumor and we know that rumors grow legs and somewhere down the road some well-meaning person will say "Well they said at Websleuths that .....".

Please review TOS (aka The Rules) and post in accordance with them. Violation of our rules may result in a loss of posting privileges.

Thank you.

ETA: And stop with the snark and sarcasm. If you can't post with courtesy, you won't be allowed to post here.

Last edited:
In the spirit of an open mind... here is another hypothetical scenario that fits the few facts and tidbits we have. IMO!

What if KR knew she couldn't drive home in the condition she was in. People say she was a very responsible kid. Maybe afterall she decided to stay the night at the campground in her car. So KR lay down on the back seat of her car and passed out, after turning off her phone at 12:33am so she is not disturbed.

At some point later in the night along come two guys (or gals). They are very intoxicated and looking for a car to joyride in for entertainment. They look among the parked cars remaining at the party to see if someone left a car with keys in it.

Voila, they find one. Its dark so they don't see KR sleeping / passed out / unconscious in the back seat, maybe under a blanket. Off they go, driving around the dirt roads near the party and down onto the beach. They get too reckless and end up in the water. They manage to get out but KR does not. She may not even wake up. She could have been injured (neck?, head?) during the wild ride. And sadly she perishes. In the dark, the kids don't even notice. All they think they've done is dump a car into the Prosser Lake after some fun. Until they find out KR is missing... and her car.

That long, pregnant pause by the Nevada Captain at the 8/22 presser, when asked if there was more than one body in the car, could be because he knew there was a second person in the car when it went into the lake. Maybe he knew that because both front air bags were deployed. Only LE ( and AWP) would of course know that.

This is hypothetical, conjecture, speculation and all that. But what if the incident that killed KR was an accident, but just with a very complex set of facts.
Why not? We will find out when the investigation is done.

The car will have some event recording capability even for its model year and of course the physical evendence of airbags.

The last phone ping I don't believe is because she dhut the phone off...most in that age group that I know never shut their phone off...I also saw a comment suggesting she shut it off to charge it faster but I don't think I believe that either...my kids and their friends all will turn their phones back on at 1% when charging in the car often because that's where their music streams from...being possibly tipsy I doubt she'd drive home in possible silence late at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow